What's new

vertical cfl cab, 1,2sqf, C99BX1 & Co

sgapetti

Veteran
day 36 of 12/12 , day 46 from seed

day 36 of 12/12 , day 46 from seed

Im moving from a house to an apartment so this will come in handy as i gotta down-size. And my LED's are 3.5' long so im thinking scrog, but have a tall white cab now, iv been thinking about running them vertical. With the plants between the wall and its screen as the two lights would be in the middle on a x-mas tree mover.

Really like what you have done, i dig CFL's and started indoor this way, but never vertical and with much more space.

Il be watching for sure man,

Keep er green

LSY

Welcome LetsSeeYa, I do have a larger cab ( only summer time ), but this cab is small and really stealth for me , i am trying to dial in some strain and see what happen, if a manage to fill the screens all the way, is all a need for my personal consumption. Vertical is the best way to use cfl in my setup , and i love it so far:wave:

affascinato! ti seguo.. sono molto curioso

ciao affascinato:wave:

Temp ambient 72,6
temps cab max 85 min 71.6
lights 12/12 ( 135 watt )
RH 0%
feeding 9 ml fishmix , 9 ml alg a mix , 2,2ml bioheaven and 12ml biobloom x U.S, gallon @ every watering

picture.php

right side

picture.php

Left side

picture.php

Front

picture.php

Mandy99 macro ( taller pheno )

I am down to 0% RH , i may as well find out if together will 85 max temp and the UVB lamp ( going in a few days) what happens with resin production, any input on this theory are welcome.
Peace S

LetsSeeYa

I like your set up man, but i want to be able to slide out the plants with the screen together. This way i can get the bondage on like a good girl wants.

I am just not sure how to micro 3 1/2' light set up. I do have a Red/far Red and then a full spectrum light. S o i could do two cabs and veg with the reds and flower with the full spectrum light. They rock so far, but im only just dialing them in as iv only did 2 full grows and flowered a couple from outside. I have pics in my album of some of the led stuff, plus my good year with re veg's, but got robbed twice, still got a 3lbs. But took my first and only purple iv seen or grown, pissed i was.

Your grow look killer man. The CFL's can do way more then people think, IMHO. But iv never seen one with CFL's and is why this thread caught my attention. Plus i need some hints on scaling down, because i gotta. In less and i might have a walk in closet, which then, i would for sure run my LEDs. I need to get a grow in, im bored and tired of having to be carried.

Great looking grow my friend, keep it up,

Peace

LSY

sgapetti

Veteran
I like your set up man, but i want to be able to slide out the plants with the screen together. This way i can get the bondage on like a good girl wants.

I am just not sure how to micro 3 1/2' light set up. I do have a Red/far Red and then a full spectrum light. S o i could do two cabs and veg with the reds and flower with the full spectrum light. They rock so far, but im only just dialing them in as iv only did 2 full grows and flowered a couple from outside. I have pics in my album of some of the led stuff, plus my good year with re veg's, but got robbed twice, still got a 3lbs. But took my first and only purple iv seen or grown, pissed i was.

Your grow look killer man. The CFL's can do way more then people think, IMHO. But iv never seen one with CFL's and is why this thread caught my attention. Plus i need some hints on scaling down, because i gotta. In less and i might have a walk in closet, which then, i would for sure run my LEDs. I need to get a grow in, im bored and tired of having to be carried.

Great looking grow my friend, keep it up,

Peace

LSY
'

i take out the container every time i need to work on the plants, the net are in the container, works fine atm, i am glad is not bigger :laughing:, i take a shot later of the whole container and cage. Cecked you led album, very interesting with led,
keep it green and stay safe:tiphat:

sgapetti

Veteran
day 40 of 12/12 , day 50 from seed

day 40 of 12/12 , day 50 from seed

Temp ambient 72,6
lights 12/12 ( 131 watt ) 60w@2700k, 45w@4000k and 36w UVB @6700k
RH 0%
feeding 9 ml fishmix , 9 ml alg a mix , 2,2ml bioheaven and 12ml biobloom x U.S, gallon @ every watering

picture.php

left side , from left mandy99 tall pheno and STS freebie

picture.php

front left C99BX1

picture.php

sts freebie front center

picture.php

rigth side from left Kalichakra/Mandala#1

picture.php

mandy99 indica pheno

The uva/uvb lamp is back in the cab till harvest, mix smell of pineapple ( C99 ) and dank ( sts ) hopefully the sam the skunkman will stretch some more, the rest is done stretching,
Keep it green and stay safe:freezing:

LetsSeeYa

Great pic's man, they look very nice an green for sure. Thats cool you can slide out the cage, i gotta know its a lot more easy to train.

Thanks man,

LSY

Mister_D

Veteran
Things are looking healthy my friend. I am a little concerned about your plants having differing finish times, and how you might approach flush. From what i've researched use of uva/uvb bulbs is ultimately a waste of time. Look up a member named phaeton in the lighting section here at the mag. He has done extensive testing with many different lights.
You may find this thread interesting, started by phaeton. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4768937#post4768937

sgapetti

Veteran
they looking good man.
are you using any kind of carbon filter or what you do about the smell?
welcome stoner, i am not using a scrubber, i don't need to:thank you:

Things are looking healthy my friend. I am a little concerned about your plants having differing finish times, and how you might approach flush. From what i've researched use of uva/uvb bulbs is ultimately a waste of time. Look up a member named phaeton in the lighting section here at the mag. He has done extensive testing with many different lights.
You may find this thread interesting, started by phaeton. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4768937#post4768937

Hello my friend,
i am aware of this, the sam the skunkamn freebie are still stretching while the rest is getting ready to fatten up , i will finish with some deficency on the sts if i have to but hopefully they find what they need in the soil. I am documenting the mistakes and planning for improvement until next run. The only positive is that i finally made those c99BX1 in cross , and pollinated the sam the skunkan freebie, that will give me the seeds for the next run: singel strain and sensimilla :jump:
I have been reading the 3D you linked , i have to read it again as i made a different conclusion . The uvb uva lamp is a 2.0 , i was most interested in its spectrum ( 6700k ) as i believe that mix spectrum will give better quality then singel spectum, but i may be wrong. Also , the sun has uvb uva and so on, i figured some uvb in my cab want do any harm.
If you have the time, i would love to hear your preferences regarding the rigth spectum for the different stages of the plant.
Thx for stopping by:wave:

Mister_D

Veteran
As for flush, I have a thought. You might try pouring ph adjusted water at the base of the plants that need flushing, while still feeding the sts. This should lower your fert levels at the plants that are about to finish while preventing too much def. in the sts. Just a thought, i'm sure you'll handle it one way or the other. Light spectrum is somewhat of a confusing subject, but I will try to simpilify things as best I can. As far as spectrum is concerned, forget K ratings they are mostly worthless. I say this because generally speaking a lower K bulb leans more to the red end of the spectrum, and a high K more to the blue end. Howvever these can be manipulated, and as such should only be used for basic reference. You want to choose your bulb or mix of bulbs based on priorities (i.e. quality, yield or a mix of both). If yield is your main concern then lights that are red/mostly red in spectrum is the way to go. Red light takes less energy to create so red bulbs of the same wattage produce more photons (light energy for your plants) than blue ones. More photons means faster growth and bigger yields. This is why many growers prefer hps over MH. However plants also use the blue, green, and yellow parts of the spectrum for differing chemical processes, which is why full spectrum lighting is usefull. Plants can/will adapt to whatever mix of light you choose to give them, but certain processes won't be optomized. HPS/red light is better at producing bulk, while MH/blue light is better at producing cannabinoids/terpenes. I prefer a ratio of 2 HPS/red to 1MH/blue light. This IME has given the best balance of yield and quailty. Being you grow for your self and yield is a low concern for you (as long as you get enough to supply yourself :laughing:) I would reverse the ratio to 2 MH/CMH/full spectrum CFL to 1 HPS/red CFL. Or personally if I was in your postion I would opt for a 70w CMH (Full Spectrum HID). All of this is over simplified, it would take me pages to write out explainations for how all of this applies to plant physiology and quantum physics of light. Ultimately the thing to remember is: if you are going for more yield, add more red lighting. If you are going for better quality more blue/full spectrum lighting is in order. If you are looking for some heavier reading into the subject i'd suggest reading the CMH thread stickied in the lighting section here a the mag. It's a long thread, but packed with information and links to even more in depth information. Hope that helps :wave: As always if you need some more answers/info you know where to find me.

P.S. Updated my thread again.

sgapetti

Veteran
As for flush, I have a thought. You might try pouring ph adjusted water at the base of the plants that need flushing, while still feeding the sts. This should lower your fert levels at the plants that are about to finish while preventing too much def. in the sts. Just a thought, i'm sure you'll handle it one way or the other. Light spectrum is somewhat of a confusing subject, but I will try to simplify things as best I can. As far as spectrum is concerned, forget K ratings they are mostly worthless. I say this because generally speaking a lower K bulb leans more to the red end of the spectrum, and a high K more to the blue end. However these can be manipulated, and as such should only be used for basic reference. You want to choose your bulb or mix of bulbs based on priorities (i.e. quality, yield or a mix of both). If yield is your main concern then lights that are red/mostly red in spectrum is the way to go. Red light takes less energy to create so red bulbs of the same wattage produce more photons (light energy for your plants) than blue ones. More photons means faster growth and bigger yields. This is why many growers prefer hps over MH. However plants also use the blue, green, and yellow parts of the spectrum for differing chemical processes, which is why full spectrum lighting is usefull. Plants can/will adapt to whatever mix of light you choose to give them, but certain processes won't be optomized. HPS/red light is better at producing bulk, while MH/blue light is better at producing cannabinoids/terpenes. I prefer a ratio of 2 HPS/red to 1MH/blue light. This IME has given the best balance of yield and quailty. Being you grow for your self and yield is a low concern for you (as long as you get enough to supply yourself :laughing:) I would reverse the ratio to 2 MH/CMH/full spectrum CFL to 1 HPS/red CFL. Or personally if I was in your postion I would opt for a 70w CMH (Full Spectrum HID). All of this is over simplified, it would take me pages to write out explainations for how all of this applies to plant physiology and quantum physics of light. Ultimately the thing to remember is: if you are going for more yield, add more red lighting. If you are going for better quality more blue/full spectrum lighting is in order. If you are looking for some heavier reading into the subject i'd suggest reading the CMH thread stickied in the lighting section here a the mag. It's a long thread, but packed with information and links to even more in depth information. Hope that helps :wave: As always if you need some more answers/info you know where to find me.

P.S. Updated my thread again.

I have been reading about light and photons, i started a 3D on ligth in the Italian forum as well, and i am gathering info on spectrum and cfl lamps,and so on , and as usual you save me a lot of time not having to sort out all info that is '' only half correct, situationally correct, or just plain wrong'':laughing: ( i had to put it in my sign as i just love it ) more reading to do in the light section, thx for the link. Quantity is not a issue for me as i basically smoke 1 pipe a day and only in the evening:laughing: so i am still smoking from the mandala1/kalichakra run and i am only half way, so quantity is not a problem at all, but will follow whit knowledge i guess. Growing give me as much satisfaction as smoking, is just love to be able to smoke my own herb. That said i have noticed that the plants are more compact this run, whit more internodes than last time, the use of full spectrum cfl ( only 1 atm, i the uva/b lamp ) will be a great tool for the sativas i am planning to run as i have to keep them short. I am going to translate your post as i want to use it as well in the Italian forum, i hope is OK whit you. Thanks for keeping a eye on me :comfort:
Take care:wave:

Mister_D

Veteran
Of course you may use any post of mine however you see fit :). I encourage you to keep reading and reasearching any subject that strikes your interest. I will always offer up my knowledge, but there are certainly people here and elsewhere that can/already have explain things more in depth than I could or have time to. You mention your plants being shorter with more internodes. This is something I wanted to touch on in my last post, but for whatever reason didn't. Light spectrum can be used to influence plant structure, as you've clearly already noticed. Depending on a growers goals (i.e. trees, bushes, short or tall) different sources of light can be used to influence growth. For instance, you need your plants to stay short and compact. Having a heavier amount of blue light in your mix will help you to achieve this goal. Full spectrum lighting (approximately equal amounts of blue and red) will also achieve a shorter compact plant, though not as compact as heavy blue leaning light. On the other hand, mostly red spectrum lighting will cause your plants to grow taller faster with less leaf, and greater node spacing compared to blue or full spectrum lighting. With this in mind you might use blue cfl's for veg, and, if needed, during the stretch period of flower. Full spectrum lighting for all of or the rest of flower for quality reasons. Again if it was me, i'd just grab a 70W CMH and forget changing the bulbs. However my feelings are based off of doing much larger grows where changing bulbs is just one more thing on the to do list. Your priorites are surely different than mine, and if you don't mind changing the bulbs and it's working for YOU, go that route. Many ways ta skin a mule as freds is so found of saying. I also wanted to mention a bit about the uva/uvb bulbs. The reason I don't think they are worth your time as almost all comerically available seeds have been grown and bred under artificial lighting for so long that they don't react much to the low levels of uva/uvb those bulbs actually produce. Most people that have been working on these experiments are trying to recreate the effect of tropical satvias grown outdoors near the equator back in the 70's. There is a problem with doing this in an indoor enviroment. You will likely never be able to recreate all the important factors that made that herb what it was indoors (i.e temp, humidity, soil, sunlight, nutes etc.). However I believe it was phaeton that noticed sativas that are closer to land race did infact have some noticable difference in effect with the addition of uva/uvb. Feel free to run your own experiments, you may find it does something worthwhile for you. I've just personally never read or met anyone that convinced me it was worth the time and loss of yield associated with them. You're welcome for my help. I consider you a good friend, but also think you are blazing a trail with CFL's which is very cool. Obviously i'm not the only one, this journal alone has 2,000 some views already.

sgapetti

Veteran
day 47 of 12/12 , day 57 from seed

day 47 of 12/12 , day 57 from seed

There is so much info on growing with hps and mh that i feel some info on growing with cfl is appreciated by many of us that are growing with fluorescent ligths, and even worst in the italian community where cfl were considered not fit to grow with, but no longer now :laughing:even if i have to improve my gpw a lot:laughing:. I believe cfl is perfect for small grow space , lower temps and more stealth then other solutions. That said i always finish what i start, so i will have 3 runs whit this cab and play with light spectrum in a quest to understand how i can help the plants to grow the way i want in my small cab. You are always very helpful on helping me understand what to look for and go my own way:thank you: my friend

Temp ambient 72,6
lights 12/12 ( 116 watt ) 90w@2700k, 26w UVB @6700k
RH 0%
feeding 6 ml fishmix , 9 ml alg a mix , 2,2ml bioheaven and 12ml biobloom x U.S, gallon @ every watering

The girls:
picture.php

Mandy99 indica pheno

picture.php

Sam the Skunkman freebie front

picture.php

Sam the Skunkman freebie left

picture.php

C99BX1 mix pheno

picture.php

Kalichakra/Mandala1

picture.php

Mandy 99 mix pheno

picture.php

C99BX1 mix pheno

picture.php

the cage

lowered di Fishmix and coming close to flush , +- 4 weeks to harvest, but not for the sam the skunkman, they need more time to finish, but i wiil go as usual by tricome maturation.Lots of resin :skiiing: in the cab, will try to take some decent macros shot soon.
Keep it green and stay safe :wave:

sgapetti

Veteran
day 50 of 12/12 , day 60 from seed

day 50 of 12/12 , day 60 from seed

Lets look at the resin :skiiing:

picture.php

Mandy99 indica pheno, most resin and leaves then the rest, probably single cola, i will have to look under the skirt to find out:laughing:

picture.php

Mandy99 mix pheno

picture.php

C99BX1 mix pheno
Starting the flush from today except the sam the skunkman freebies
Peace S

Mister_D

Veteran
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to sgapetti again. Just wanted to give you some rep for having a 5 star thread my friend. Like I said blazing the trail for micro growers everywhere. I'm damn proud of you buddy.

sgapetti

Veteran
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to sgapetti again. Just wanted to give you some rep for having a 5 star thread my friend. Like I said blazing the trail for micro growers everywhere. I'm damn proud of you buddy.

I must have got the 5 stars by mistake:laughing: your rep means more to me:huggy:thx

Looking good Man :jump: Gonna have some nice smoke in a bit :pimp3:
:thank you:SpecialEd, i hope so, really curios about the sam the skunkman freebie, i am smoking one lady from those freebie harvested September 2011 and she blow me away everytime:wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts