What's new

VerdantGreen's quarters - 250HPS organic mod.scrog

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, im looking for some second opinions on this sour d x chemdog plant. the bud on the left looks odd to me and im worried its turning hermie. ive looked lower down and there are no male flowers, just the tip of this bud looks different to the rest and even the leaves look a bit different too. ive never grow chem d or sour diesel but have read they can both throw male flowers so - what do you think?
there are no male flowers visible but.....
picture.php

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
thats what my tops look like in a hot spot under my lamp. but, you have your cab dialed in so I doubt thats it.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks stonedar i wondered about that, ive just gone from LED to HPS for the winter so it may be a little warm, but that bud isnt the closest to the light. i did lower the plants a little bit today though...

VG

Hey VG I thought the same thing as stonedar because I thought I detected maybe the very first signs of the leaf fold. What I wanted to point out since you said it's not the closest to the light is that I had the same thing happen to me recently and it was not from a plant closest to the light, it was actually the farthest. But the top of this plant of mine today when I put my hand just over the top of it I noticed that I had a dead spot in the air flow.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i think you guys are right. i perhaps get a bit complacent about environment because i have so few problems with that. my vents come up through the floor and there is one right in the centre of the cab and a fan blows down the middle of the canopy too. this bud was about halfway between middle and edge (where there are more vent holes in the floor) so it may well be in a spot that gets warm but less airflow. hopefully it will look better after a couple of days now that ive moved it down. ibe had my eye on it for a few days but today was the first time i got a good look at it and it definitely shows some signs of stress. the sourdogs are starting to frost up a bit and smell funky. definitely a bit different to anything ive grown before. ive got some pollen from the males i cut a while back so i'll dust a bud on each of the sourdog girls tomorrow.
i also have some original haze pollen coming on stream from a nice short male i got in my haze micro-grow (link is in the sig) - i'll probably dust a few with this at some point. im not really interested in breeding with the sourdog because it's too much of a hybrid already, but i guess the haze cross might be interesting and the sourdog f2's may turn up some gems :)

cheers

VG

guanito

it just looks like a dense stalk.
don't do anything rash.
might be a hermie.
i've flowered hermies before that i didn't even know were hermies until harvest.
the weed wasn't bad and the seeds were good!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cheers guanito!

yeah i'm pretty sure the bud looks better already after a day in slightly cooler conditions. it has a more even coating of pistils now.

and i just dusted a bud on each with some pollen from the males - managed to use genetics from all 5 plants to make f2's - 3 males and the two girls. i should be able to tell by tomorrow if the pollen has taken.

VG

oldbootz

Veteran
looking good as always VG, but i cant wait to see some black cheese x white russian in your mod scrog :) pop those babies !!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey SS i must say im warming to the sourdog number 2 plant ;)
you know what it's like with these multi hybrid type strains. lots of variation in height and if they werent scrogged then this plant would be at least twice the height of the other one with some comedy sized internodals. thats fine though and im 90% sure that the suspect bud isnt going hermi. im liking the funk they are starting to put out. frosting up too.

looks like the pollen has taken (the pistils are just starting to wither on the buds i dusted) - so hopefully it will all be plain sailing with the two of them till harvest time around xmas.

the blueberry is stretching like mad and im hoping that it tops out in the next 2 inches or so. need to look back in the diary and see how long its been in the cab for. it stretches for about 3-4 weeks!

bootz! - yeah im looking forward to trying them but it may be a little while. next up is mr Greengenes Cherry bomb because i have an idea for a cross with it and ive been itching to try that for a year or two. the beans arrived just a couple of days after i popped this latest round or otherwise i would have run them this time.

VG

D9_THC

Hi VG, love your work as always!

Did you design your cab to be exactly 2x2 for the 250w in order to get about 63w per square foot and to have the walls closer, so that light travels shorter distances to be reflected back, or do you think making it a bit bigger would increase your already mind-blowing yields. Just something I've been wondering about. Thanks in advance!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey D9 the cab is actually 2' x 28" wide and if i wer to build it again i might go to 30' wide, perhaps by 25" - just slightly bigger.

----

got an update for you.

here is the sourdog1 at about 23 days
picture.php

and sourdog2,
picture.php

nug - frosting up
picture.php

and the blueberry, as always this has stretched plenty. if it will just top out in the next couple of inches then i'll be very happy as it has a nice even canopy, quite tall off the screen but thats ok
picture.php

side shot - you can see a bit of wire trussing in there. nice light green colour too. :dance013:
picture.php

and the lemon thai
picture.php

:tiphat:
VG

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
I'm sure that one cola on SD #2 is fine (non-hermie)....but there's something different about it...it draws the eye...probably just a slightly different leaf structure....

But looking superb as always.

You could have said that your Blueberry and Lemon Thai were two phenos of the same strain out of a seedpack, and I would believe you....very similar...so far.....the LT looks just a bit more "thai-y".

hazydreams

Vedant,

Every time i stumble across one of your threads (led, micro, this one, all come to mind), just absolute perfection. i hope to achieve the evenness of the scrog your showing in the last few pictures, this is by far more art then science as i have found. ++++ Rep. beautiful work.

BudBag

I have Dutch passion BB fem I think its the same as yours... Mine smells real earthy with a very minor sweet smell. I also had bananas shoot out. What does your BB smell like after it is cured and then broke up? You like?

S

schwagg

looking fantastic as always verdant! any opinions about the last sharkbreath? that was the one with comfrey right? any smell, taste, or weight difference?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blimey - yeah the BB and LT are very similar, but as you say - they are not identical. the leaves on the LT are slightly more serrated and not quite as thin and smooth. its going to be interesting watching them bud up together ;)

guanito - thanks!

hazydreams - yeah scrog is an odd thing. part of it is having the balls to manipulate the shoots heavily and strains like the Bb and Lemon thai have lovely pliable stems for a while as they stretch. you can almost bend them in half. using the round edge of your finger to gently pull them through the gaps helps - becaue they bend to the finger's round shape without folding and snapping (usually ;) )
i should start a thread about 'advanced' scrogging because there are quite a few tricks ive learned over the years.

BudBag - ive heard more good reports of DP fem BB than the regular tbh. mine has only produced male flowers once in late flowering when it got too tall and trained too late in budding ( i dont like lst-ing well formed buds for this reason ) it may have been the heat from being too near the lamp. my cut seems to be heavily thai influenced and not much oaxican in there. it smells sweet hashy and then like cotton candy in bud - and after its chopped it is a riot of sweet, floral , skunky and berry. very very strong smelling weed.

schwagg - yeah the SB came out really nicely - especially the one from my LED microcab that yellowed out real nice towards the end - that is the best ive had this cut taste and smell wise. the comfrey seemed to work great but for me it was only a secondary fert as i use guano etc in my soil mix.
have you started using comfrey extract yet??

---

up in the cab the Bb seems to be topping out just in time - but it always tend to surprise me with a little more stretch than i am expecting. everything else is coming along nicely.

VG

S

schwagg

thanks for the info verdant! no i haven't used an extract yet but i have some homemade compost with tons of comfrey and other plants. i can't wait till it's done!

Latest posts

Latest posts