41.3 KB · Views: 14

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok, so perhaps there was more than 1 gnat in the pic lol

blynx - yeah i think thats an extra one :)
i think you would do well with scrog - your grows are always clean and tidy

Irie - yeah that was the one i was thinking of

frosty buds - that may be one too but im not sure :D

incidentally i have recently used a gnat treatment based on bacillus thuringiensis called 'gnat off' - used it once in the watering water and have hardly seen a gnat since

i'll just doll out some prizes - yep im a cheapskate

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes thanks Q, im going to try that if i dont have any luck with what im using now.

VG

420ish

how long do you veg before flipping?any reason you only use three legs on ur mod screens?think im gonna try scrog soon.what size pots do you use?some pics from the bottom would be appreciated also!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi meanbean!

420ish - vegging can be anything between 2 and 6 weeks depending on strain and logistics. knowing how much stretch to expect is very useful so running cuts a few times will help. final pot size is 4 gallon and they get put in these pots at the same time as they are flipped to 12/12 and put in the cab. perhaps for indicas you may be better to let them root into the pot for a week beforehand but i usually find that the roots have filled the pot anyway. no particular reason for the 3 legs - the screens arent symmetrical over the pots anyway as the cab isnt quite square - if you can it would be better to make the modules so thay can be rotated around and fit in as may ways as possible - then you can have more control over the canopy and put taller buds at the edges.

if you look through this thread and my old 250hps thread you should see some pics of the cab which will help you work it out - but feel free to ask questions if you need to :)

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey tokesome - thanks :) yeah its small but i try and squeeze the most out of it ;)

---

so the yield on the lemon thai was disappointing. the pheno i put in this cab was the most sativa looking and the buds dried quite airy, although look incredibly frosty - ill try and get a pic.

yield was 36 grams, which, using the power draw of the light at 180 watts means that the grams per watt on the quarter was 36/45
giving 0.8 gpw. i also spotted more male flowers in the buds as i trimmed it up so this one is unlikely to be the keeper. nice blissed out smoke though. not much i can give you in comparison to before as this is the first time for this strain. the other three plants have all been run before and will give a better verdict on the light. bud density on the Powerplant and NL is superb.

so here are some pics

Power Plant at 53 days - this will be chopped within the week most likely - as mentioned buds are rock hard and im very pleased with the way it looks
picture.php

Northern Lights at 47 days
picture.php

and a nug
picture.php

heres the blueberry at 9 weeks - the buds are still growing on this
picture.php

nug, frosty
picture.php

and the Deep Chunk is looking good after a week in there.
picture.php

VG

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Hey, don't be too disappointed with 0.8 gpw.... ;) smoke sounds nice...

Buds looking terrific (the NL looks really good)......is the Blueberry taking longer than usual?

180W ? So it's 180W of LEDs and 25w for the little fan(s) that come with it?

Is it me....or are the leaves on your plants very healthy for so late in flower?

Your threads always makes me drool....

J

JackTheGrower

Just read through. Looks like the plants respond well to LED as the vegging plant's leaves filled in all the free space evenly.

I'm guessing LED's are getting really good now. It makes for an ideal small space lighting option.

And I admit I have not Scroged in a long time.. That modular is really nice... Is that weed-eater cord?

Also wanted to add that Yellow Sticky traps are a nice way to reduce critters without risk.

I find too that gnats and such will fly out of the garden towards external light.

I have a few flying critters here and the population goes down when I make an effort to lure them out and then close the garden. I have no problems with the various critters that come and go but do use the yellow sticky traps during flowering.

Nice grow-show VG. I enjoyed your dedication to the task.

MeanBean

Hey V, thanks for you input on the canopy thing... So buddy next conversation. I have been pulling alot of leaves off during veg and flower, looks like you got a ton there on those vegging ones. Have you tried pulling like 70% of the large fan leaves off to allow morenode growth? I had been doing this to an extent but Q stopped by and showed me this thread of a guy ripping all the fan leaves off, and he was getting nice stacks of buds.

Seems logical cause you free up so much canopy space plus the bud sites are what get light so thats what grow, well that what it seems.

What do you think? Wanna pull a buncha leafs off that bush lol!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blimey - you're right about the yield - always an unknown quantity trying a new variety for the first time, and really trying new ones is what i enjoy most about growing/smoking and what i designed my cabinet around.
the 180w is afaik the total power draw of the unit including fans, but i better check that - perhaps MB will know ???
the blueberry may be a little slower but ive always chopped it between 10 and 12 weeks.

as for the green leaves (good eyes btw ) the Bb, and lt were in a fairly low N soil but probably it should have had a little less. after this run im going to try the soil mix without the coco in it as it messes with the ferts a bit i think - making N more available and K less available.

Jack - nice of you to stop by :) - yes i think LED's are really a viable option now and improving all the time. they do have some advantages for small spaces - the obvious one being much less heat. the modular screens are a type of fencing so is ready made.
i seem to have the mites just about under control and we are near to harvest 3 of the plants, im hoping to be able to spray the DC up until the time when i take the other plants out so as to break the cycle.
as i said earlier i have been massively impressed with the bacillus thuringiensis biological control for gnats.

MB - the defoliation thread is very interesting and they guy obviously gets good success with his method, but he doesnt get better yields than mine. i think he regards the leaf stripping as a way of saving space and avoiding one plant dominating the grow - and i feel that my modscrogs achieve that anyway. what i tend to do is try to remove some older leaves as their ability to photosynthesize goes down with age, but in general i dont believe in removing leaves much. i may try a little more...

VG

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
The PP and NL are looking devine bro, very nice indeed, that DC also looks happy as under the LED, inspiring work. :biggrin:

Peace :)

MeanBean

nice, man that is a healthy plant my friend!! look at them leafs shine!

Dug up that answer for you guys.

(205) 1W High Power LED's (actual power consumption = 182W)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
b00m - thanks mate - yeah the PP and NL have both done well by the looks of it, the blueberry is getting there slowly but surely.

MB - thanks - 182w total consumption. ill use that figure for yield calculations.

VG

lilnick

always want ot try leds but not for flower only in veg because as i say nothing comes close to the sun but hps are as close as you can get and ill challenge anyone bigger yields with hps im not nockin leds i think they are great for veg i wouldnt flower under them eventhough some people do have luck

MeanBean

always want ot try leds but not for flower only in veg because as i say nothing comes close to the sun but hps are as close as you can get and ill challenge anyone bigger yields with hps im not nockin leds i think they are great for veg i wouldnt flower under them eventhough some people do have luck

Well I agree the sun is the best, it's just kind of far away. Me personally I think the best buds I ever smoked were grown indoors. Co2 really gives plants an advantage you cant give them outside, unless you have a sick greenhouse.

Now with led's dropping the heat issue, I bet we will start to see some really potent stuff come from a co2/Led grow. I have been working with led's for a little under a year and I still got lots to tweak!!

We haven't even seen a good vertical grow yet!!

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey lilnick - stick around and see what some of my 'known decent yielder' strains pull under the LED's - then we'll see about your challenge ;) what do you normally pull from under your hps? this grow should allow me to make that comparison, although this LED uses much less power than my 250...

MB the vert light does look awesome!

---

im hoping to chop the other three plants this week. the PP will be the first...

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts