What's new

VerdantGreen's 63 Watt LED Micro Cab.

nnep

I can't believe i've missed this, i love your updates and documentation, it's very much what i try to do in my work. definitely tagging along.

How much heat does this one unit emit? would it essentially be the same as a 63 watt cfl?

and yes, i suppose 3 oz seems silly when you break it down like that, I'd be impressed by 2 as well, so long as the bud quality was good.

MeanBean

No way is it as hot as 63 Watts of cfl. CFL is actually hot IMO, but i never grew with a 1000 watt hid ethier. i had to throw all my cfls away casue they just baked my cab right out and that made the plants sweat to make the humitity rise way to high.

And IMO CFL's can't make dense buds unless there within 3" of the bud to be.

Does anyone know a good information source on the various types of lightings and their respective heat dissipation? I have very little knowledge on the subject...

Do CFLs of equal wattage produce the same heat transfer as HID?

and how much cooler do these LEDs run watt for watt then cfls? I'm familiar with the heat from the 42w spirals...

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Does anyone know a good information source on the various types of lightings and their respective heat dissipation? I have very little knowledge on the subject...

I know nothing about LEDs but in general terms I think it's helpful to start here. Lights have an equivalent wattage, and also have what we often call a "real wattage", but then there is the real, real wattage that it is actually using, and of that wattage, what doesn't go to outputting light energy, goes to outputting heat energy. When all that is taken into account, you then have to consider how much light it is actually giving off for the real wattage it's using, as well as the spectral output. Probably other crap too.

Great plants as always V! :yes:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, been having some issues with proxy serevrs etc after installing the mac security update for leopard. grrrrrrr. seems to be sorted now i hope. today is day 44 and things are looking good. no pics today but will try on thursday. i have to say that the buds look very frosty already and are rock hard.

Marijuanasaur - yeah 3oz would be pretty amazing, especially for this strain which in the past has been an average yielder for me. i would say MMG yields 25-30% less than my highest yielders like the NL.

BL4ZE20 - yeah the unit is pretty compact and i think small cabs are one of the best applications for these lights as they give out very little heat AND have buit-in fans which will help air circulation .
LEDGirl - thanks for the maths :) i believe you call it 'math' over there :D

hi apollonio - i dont think 3 oz would be out of the question with this light and the right strain....

DrGreenFingerz - 2 oz would be around 1g/watt which would definitely be respectable. i'm personally just as interested in the quality too. i dont think hps necessarily gives the best quality buds and these LED's with targeted spectrum might just give it that extra dimension i have experienced with will grown outdoor weed.
MeanBean - cool - lets keep out fingers crossed.

BC Chronic - thanks for showing an interest :)

nnep - thanks for the kind words :D

Marijuanasaur - the unit gives out hardly any heat at all - much less than cfl imo - scrub know better than me on the techy stuff

MeanBean - agreed :)

scrub
hi mate and thanks for the link.

V.

bloyd

Veteran
I put in a good word for you verdant, I must say your micro scrogs have been a pleasure to watch. I was a lurker long before becoming a member and your threads are part of the reason I joined up. Can't wait to see you rocking the 205 in a scrog! Good Luck

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey verdant i think your soil mix gives a bit too much nitrogen to the plants hmmmm

well, "'"°ºo_oº°"'", i can see why you might say that because the plant is quite a dark green, but its a strain thing - the MMG has dark leaves. i use this mix for nearly all my strains - even 15 week sativas - and you wont find the same dark coloring in any of them

also, as most of the people using these LED units have noted, they seem to produce darker leaves - possibly due to the better spectrum

nice try though :D - and welcome to icmag!

V.

its also because of the flowering structure
but this maybe a strain thing or spectrum thing too? i just noticed this look to my plants when i fed them too much nitrogen while flowering :dunno:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not sure what you mean - can you explain? i see very dense buds. High N can cause foxtails but there are none.

V.

apollonio

you got my vote V. don't know if that will count but.. if someone can pull 1g/W or more with these panels, it is you!

have a nice day mate!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks apollonio - and thanks to everyone who has supported my bid to get a free light :)

---

update for you - today is 46 days - just over 6 weeks.

whole plant
picture.php

nugs - you can see the one on the left has a tiny bit of light bleaching which in a way is cool because it shows these light are intense - im not too bothered because it is the only bud to show this. the light is about 4-5 inches away when it should be 6"
picture.php

close up - not a bad shot this one :)
picture.php

cheers

V.

U

unthing

Hi

Looking good there, was the bleached bud directly under one of those ledclusters? My neville x mango is tough one, some of her tops are only inch away from the shielding glass, no sign of bleaching in the buds, but noticed that the branches directly under the cluster had lime green leaves when the rest of them were green, so some kind of light bleach too, but now all is pretty much equally yellow..

Voted you for the 205 job too. Good luck with that.

Latest posts

Latest posts