VerdantGreen's 63 Watt LED Micro Cab.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
'''
Also when you have time, do you think you could snap a photo with the light over the plant? I just want to see the size comparison of the actual outside diameter of the light over the outside diameter of the scrog screen so I can get a better perspective of your footprint.

here you go mate - as you can see its pretty stacked in there :)

picture.php

picture.php

V.

MeanBean

This is another great thread! Can't wait to see the outcome! Those custom screens look fun to make !! DIY! I love that abreviation!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey scrub! - thanks - the plants seem to love my organic soil mix and the big volumes of soil - i just add water unless they look hungry - which they seldom do until near harvest time.

MeanBean - thanks for stopping by - somewhere on my other grow diary (link in sig) there is a tutorial on how to make the modular screens - pretty simple really.

V.

MeanBean

VG:
Simplicity is key even in the highest technology. Looks like there all functionality no B.S. something made by experience…

Scrog grows are still “in the dark” for me. I am new… Even though it keeps getting put in front of my face I just don’t want to do that to the plants. What about the bottom of the buds, they don’t get light?
Once I get all set in my new op I will be able to really test these different methods! For now I am going to try and veg / prune my plants just right to make a BUNCH of head colas. More surface area…

right now i am growing 2.2 ft plants with like 10 head colas and 15 sub head colas. then popcorn down to the base...

I need like 50 colas at the same height, 1.2 ft with all the popcorn going down the stems ya know???

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Looking Great VG!

You mentioned earlier in the thread about how can you yield more in a smaller space, well, while viewing one of LED-Girl's threads, she noted the same size buds will weigh nearly twice as much under her LEDs vs. an HPS. So while it may not look higher yielding initially, unless you compare the wobble, the buds are much denser. I'm guessing similar to the difference between 400w hps buds to 1kw buds.

While increasing bud density is great for achieving higher yields per area, I would be interested to know if the chances of bud rot and mold will be increased as well.

MeanBean

SAM:

I dunnno but I did notice this. In my grow, the head buds, were real heavy and dense. the rest of the buds were a bit lighter but still as good as what I used to buy as nugs..

I grind my buds before smoking "a must", and I really couldn’t tell much of a difference in high from the headies to the rest of the buds lower in the plants "smoke wise". just smoked more weight faster lol.

I am starting to think Scrog may get you a higher yield and denser bud, but I might get more bowls full of buds from a traditional grow. ya know? I don’t need to smoke heavy potent buds at all times, a scrog may just be to push numbers up in a sense, not smokablity as a hobby grower.

As a speculation, I could get 2.5 to 3.5 jars of buds in a scrog, same setup but a tradtional grow like 3.5 to 5.5 jars but not as dense.

I am not a commercial grower, I actually don’t even need to weigh my buds. I just want allot of them, not prove/get a certain weight $$$.

We need to remember, don't just read the spec sheet and make your assumption. Sometimes a system just sings!!

For example, all street bikes have the same specs or close, but a Gixxer just is a balanced beast, somthing you cant read on a spec sheet... sorry ningaz, u suck, it's just not a GSXR.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi sam - i think mold is certainly something to be wary of. when i started posting pics of my 250 watt cab scrogs here the first thing people advised me was that my dense canopies might encourage mold. luckily i havent had any problems with it yet and i hope the same will be the case with this smaller cab. i will probably get a little pc fan blowing accross the canopy when i get round to it. the 4" inline fan that i use to pull air through my cabs is temperature controlled too as it turns itself up as the temps rise which must help . very expensive for a fan but cheeper than a regulat fan + primair type climate controller - and better because the fan has 4 windings so the speed varies without any buzzing etc.
interesting what LEDgirl says about bud density - i havent read that post but i hope it turns out true lol. most of my yield projections are based on the yields i get from my bigger cab which vary between 1 and 1.6 g/watt - if the buds are denser under LED then i might be in for a nice surprise !

sleepy - thanks for stopping by :) - things are looking good so far yes

mean bean - all the colas above the screen get some light and turn into decent buds top to bottom. remember that leaves dont block light completely as some light passes through them. also the plant can transport the energy it makes from leaves all around the plant. as ive said before training is much less stressful than topping. as a first foray into training, try bending the top of a plant over one time rather than cutting it off. ihas the same effect as topping but without shocking the plant so much and without losing growth or flowering hormones (which are most concentrated in the tops). you're doing great with your grows though so im sure you will get around to experimenting in your own good time.
i dont grow commercially either but i like to weigh my yield as a measure of efficiency which is what i try to keep high in my little grows without compromising on quality. i dont really agree with you about more volume of buds giving you more to smoke in any real terms but as long as we all grow buds we enjoy consuming then its all good :)

---

here is a quick pic from today - 33 days. buds are fattening up slowly but surely. MMG is around 10 weeks so we are about halfway
picture.php

V.

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Looking good VG!

How does trichome production on the MMG under LED compare with under HPS...so far?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Blimey!

i would say thet are frosting up fairly early - as far as i can remember as quick as hps if not quicker.

V.

MeanBean

Thanks VG, now ya got me thinking, I wonder how much my pruning is effecting the bud size??

For my current plan toppin is almost a must not just the top but the side growth gets prunned once as well. Maybe I will just bend the top and prune the sides, that could help save some horomes.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
texsativa - thanks - no the light isnt hot at all. i was slightly worried that my tops were closer than the recommended 6-12" (mine are 4-5") but LEDGirl says that the only danger is from light bleaching and i dont see any of that.

botanist85 - a clip on fan would take up about a quarter of the cab lol. i do have a 2" computer fan on order though. i use these in my other cabs and they are awesome - ver quiet and take up hardly any space. i wondered if the fans in the LED unit would be enough but it cant do any harm to have another one.

MeanBean - i wouldnt worry about topping affecting bud size - but i wouldnt top when you are in flower and i would leave them a week minimum between topping and flowering. removing tops will delay flower a bit though because of the hormones being removed. dont sweat it but when you are ready try bending some tops over rather than removing them.

---

had a look at the buds this morning - they are growing :D

V.

U

unthing

I like the sight of bud in the morning...yes that was lame :). Looking good.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol scrub and unthing - i can see i'm going to have to choose my words a little more carefully :D

---

so we are just over 5 weeks - nugs are still smallish but rock hard and frosty. still added nothing but water at this stage.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

V.

MeanBean

looking real good! can't really tell how big the whole plant is from the pics though. Quality is looking right on the money!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Enjoying the ride with you. It will be my turn soon, got the seeds today.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Stunning VG, that first photo is just beautiful mate, so healthy and such vibrant colours.
Nothing but :respect: here bro.

Peace.
:rtfo:

Latest posts

Latest posts