What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Verdant Greens Bubba Kush S1

hamstring

Veteran
Don’t you hate it when someone doesn’t finish a grow thread.

I pulled the BK at 66 days. Here a few picks of it with a quick trim. From left to right the three phenos. BK 2 which I am calling the purple pheno, BK4 which was the largest and largest yielding pheno ,BK5 had the best lateral branching and its clone is very bushy too.

It was a pleasure to grow some of VG’s gear. Overall BK is very easy to grow. As VG says,” give it some root space ” because it will out grow the pot fast and really slow it down. Other than that no special needs or concerns. As you can see the buds are very frosty and dense.

BK5’s buds were noticeably more of a open structure than BK 2 & 4. It was the runt of the litter and it would be interesting to see if the clone acted differently. Although its clone is a bushy bitch too.

I took clones from all three phones and other than giant fucking leaves I had no issues with cloning it, and my clone success rate is south of 70%. I think I took two cuttings from each of the plants. The top main stem and one lower.
I would take VG’s advice and do some LST and start bending them over early vs cutting the main stem. They still grew just fine but again it will slow it down a week or so. Personally I only care because I’m impatient not because I need to get turns in my grow room

thumb_IMG_1846_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1847_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1848_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1849_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1850_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1851_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1852_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1853_1024.jpg

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Bubba Kush Smoke Test

I had to let it sit in the jars a while to give it a good review . I still don’t have the moisture content completely dialed in. I don’t believe it will change my review of this strain.

I also had to deal with a bit of a tolerance issue recently. I gave up drinking about 14 months ago. Less drinking equals more smoking. I was never a drinker anyways. I never had a beer before smoking a joint first. Quitting drinking was easy as falling off a log for me. Quitting smoking for a piss test is a fucking nightmare.

Appearance(1-10):
Frosty as hell and dense bud, you can see that in the dry pics too. Every pheno turned purple but BK2 was by far the darkest. Very easy on the eyes. I give it a 8.5.

Smell (1 -10):
It had very little smell. I will admit to smelling coffee on some stem rubs but it wasn’t pronounced enough to tell if it really smelled of coffee or I really wanted it to smell like coffee. Bubba Kush, like other hash plants, I learned have a dry resin vs oily and sticky. I really believe the dry resin makes it smell less than a oily one. There was very little smell all during flower.

That changed when I trimmed it. The smell was noticeably stronger. It filled the air around me. It was such a difference it caught me off guard. I really think it had to do with busting those dry resin heads apart. They had held all the volatile compounds until i busted them during trimming.
The smell its self was more fruity than skunk. I think is was more like a overripe fruit smell. If you have ever been around a crab apple tree after the fruit has been on the ground for awhile. Not a super strong smell, but has that funky sweet smell.
The problem is that smell only lasted for a couple of days. It came back a little after being in the jar but very faint. I give it a 5.5.

Taste (1 -10):
BK2 had the best taste of the three with BK5 rounding out the bottom of the list.

BK2 on a dry hit had that funky fruit taste.

Upon igniting it there is no discernable taste on the inhale or on the exhale, but after a few hits it leaves a fruity taste on the palate. The taste is subtle and pleasurable. I give it a 7.5.

Potency (1 -10):
This is why I waited so long to do the review. My tolerance had gone up too much recently to be fair. I was, and still am, smoking joints on some weekday nights. On weekends I was eating a couple of gummies and smoking three or more 1.5 gram joints. No way I can fairly rate potency with that kind of tolerance level. I had to take 5 days off to give it a fair test.

On each test I smoked right around a 1.5 gram joint. Its a mellow start, unlike some of the new 80/20 or 70/30 hybrids, there is no initial big head high. The high is way more subdued and mellow. BK gets me high but not stoned. Some strains hit hard and after smoking 1/2 a joint I may put it down for 30-40 minutes before firing it up again.

With Bubba Kush I was able to smoke the whole joint without setting it down. I don’t think its a weak strain but there are way more potent ones out there. I want to make sure I point out potency is the most important trait for me. So it makes me a bit critical when it comes to this. I give it a 7.

thumb_IMG_1900_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1901_1024.jpg

Last edited:

goingrey

I was going to say I can taste it all the way from here. But then I read the no taste, initially, subtle afterwards.. On Bubba? What's up with that? Have you got covid?

hamstring

Veteran
I was going to say I can taste it all the way from here. But then I read the no taste, initially, subtle afterwards.. On Bubba? What's up with that? Have you got covid?
Appreciate the feedback.

I have never grown or smoked BK before so all I can do is give my honest experience. I realize thats not the norm from what i have read so all i can say is I may not have found a good pheno.

I'm not knocking VGs gear or Bubba in general as I understand how a pheno hunt can go.

yaz828

I took all these cutting on May20th. I cloned 4 different strains. I pulled some of them out of their solo cups to see the root structure. Didn't want the Bubbs to get root bound like last time.

You can see the difference in the Bubba Kush and the other two clones (Animal Tree and Sherb Cream Pie). Its very noticeable. Buba sure needs the root space to support those giant leaves.

I transplanted all of the Bubas into 1 gal containers. I am second guessing myself because there still wasn't enough root mass to hold the soil in place. They all lost the bottom quarter or more of their soil during transplanting. Effectively, bare rooting part of them. . I may solved one problem and caused another.

View attachment 18855748 View attachment 18855749 View attachment 18855750 View attachment 18855751 View attachment 18855752
Hey Hamstring, thanks so much for sharing. Great to learn some tips from the veterans resulting from some of the issues you've encountered. I've always had issues cloning bubba. I know you mentioned less than 70% cloning rate on this run. Is this the only pre98 bubba you've grown to date, or have there been others since and if so what's you're typical cloning success rate like?

I've noted @VerdantGreen suggestion of LST (allowing side shoots to develop more) along with yours to defoliate for light to penetrate lower areas, and was wondering if you might have additional tips for ensuring higher cloning success rate that made significant difference? (ex. where to take cuttings from, when such as closer to lights on or off/before or after waterings, what medium to place cuttings in (will be growing in fully organic soil), watering and humidity for cuttings etc.) 🙏

I understand BK is a heavy feeder and needs plenty of root space and this is a rookie question. However, is it correct that you first chose to re-pot into a 1 gallon instead of a 3 gallon pot for the purpose of watering properly? (wet and dry cycles with a certain volume of soil needs to be relative to the size of the plants roots at that stage? -- and therefore using too large of a pot for a younger/smaller plant would create too long of a wet or dry cycle creating under/overwatering issues?) Does going straight to a 3 gallon while only watering ex. the surrounding 1 gallon area of the plant cause issues from leaving some of the soil dry?

Last edited:

yaz828

Looking better from what i can see. Perhaps the roots of the worst affected one were damaged in transplant, or sometimes less vigorous phenos can be more sensitive to a rich soil (talking in general about cannabis plants rather than specifically about the bubba). New soil can get 'hotter' as it dries out.
VG
Hey VG, hope all is well on your side. I've purchased a couple packs of your seeds and have been going through some old pre 98 bubba grow journals/threads. I still have some yet to cover but wanted to nudge to see if there might be any additional tips you've come across since older posts to increase veg speed and yield/bud density (I've noticed that organic buds tend to be thinner/wispier), and overall just dial in the strain with organic soil.

Some tips I've amassed thus far: LST and defoliation instead of topping, up-potting before roots run short of room (which I believe is typically around 20-25 days in solo cups or when growth slows/leaves start to yellow?), using plastic pots and optimizing waterings (~6.2-6.5 ph, not allowing soil to dry completely, fully soaking the medium), and a solid soil mix with plenty of nitrogen.

Is there anything you might add to this list in terms of germination (soak in distilled water for few hours then straight to soil, not letting them dry out), type of light for veg and/or flower and distance from plants (HID, LED, CFL etc), specific ingredients or soil mixes/NPK ratios for veg and/or flowering, foliar feeding, or other areas? 🙏

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey @yaz828 that's some good research you've done and i don't think there is much i can add! - i think the bubba can take fairly rich soil and good N levels but it is better not to try and 'push' it too hard... tends to look ready very early but better taken to 8 weeks minimum, a bit longer for more narcotic sleepy high.
The seeds have been said to have pretty touch coatings which can make them take a bit longer to germ so yes soak them well and don't give up on them. They don't need strong lights for veg as the leaves are fat. Watch out for modern LED fixtures they can be a bit fierce for veg. Think of the DLI (total amount of daily light) and keep in mind that an 8 hour dark period will help reduce it. if the plants' leaves are curling down to avoid the bright light by the end of the day then they are getting too much.
VG :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
as for the up-potting, it is best to leave it until the roots have filled out the pot and are enough to hold the rootball together.. but not so long as the plant has started to fade and 'stall'... bubba particularly is quick to suffer and so if in doubt go early.. (i tend to hold the plants upside down, supporting the soil suface with my hand, and take the pot off to check on the rootgrowth after a couple of weeks.)

Sandy resin = dud plants usually
When trichomes are not able to "explode" ie grow into big bulbous heads which you can actually see with the naked eye, 95% of the time it's a dud or toxicity, usually N.
In rare occasions it can also be a viroid.
It can also be bad genetics, but I find that hard to believe in such a line that started from elite mother.
But again, who knows who has what ?

Did all your plants turn out sandy ?
What light are you flowering with ?
Overfeeding also causes this problem and
will inhibit the maturity of the trichomes somewhat in terms of size and compunds, not color.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@yaz828 Here is the main Bubba S1 thread in my forum that has 10+ years of grows:
This grow thread is good for detail but there were some issues with the grow that perhaps had an effect on the way the buds smoked. They should be tasty for sure and the smell should be strong when the buds are broken up... The potency of Bubba is good but i would agree that it is exceeded by some of the more recent clones like GG for example

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But again, who knows who has what ?
I know. I've been selling S1s from my pre-98 Bubba Clone for 10+ years and they have been very well received, also regarded as being consistently very similar to the cut.

from my main bubba S1 thread:
Hey @VerdantGreen,

hope you are doing well man, thanks again for bringing us this beautiful variety.
Few words about the final stages and the smoke. This is an amazing line indeed.
She was ready at about 8 weeks, with resin getting some amber.
Clear mocha coffee smell with dark berry liquor background, on the fresh flowers, absolutely loved it.
The smoke however was the best part. Therapeutic, warm body with head high, melt your mind and let it rip kind of effect. Good potency, long lasting, no couchlock just completely enjoyable experience. As the buds dried, the aroma was unreal, I couldnt get enough of it. The only downside for me, was that after several days of drying, the berry liquor coffee kush got very subtle, and was not reeking anymore. You had to squeeze the bud to get it out, apart of that, you can smell earthy, musky kush.
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 12.19.04.png

I looked at a lot of your grows, no way to verify beyond your word on it what cut you hold, not to offend you personally, no way of knowing what 95% of breeders hold aswell.
We just relay on their word for it.
Also I'm not saying yours don't look like the og bubba, but anything is possible..
Elite clones are elite cuz how they taste, smell, hit.. those are traits only the ones smoking the clone claimed can verify to some extent.

But enough rambling, I think it turned out very nice at the end, and a lot of factors could have made those mixed results he encountered as the entire grow was not dialed in according to the pics.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I looked at a lot of your grows, no way to verify beyond your word on it what cut you hold, not to offend you personally, no way of knowing what 95% of breeders hold aswell.
We just relay on their word for it.
The point i was making is that you don't need to rely on my 'word for it' - you can read the 10 + years of mostly very positive reports on the S1s i make from my cut. That is worth far more than any claim or story (and let's face it the origin stories tend to change every few years)

If you can't get my seeds from Real Gorilla then PM me.
Thanks for asking,

Thanks bro no mean to disrespect or anything, I wasn't talking about your bubba, it was a general idea of what can cause stuff like duds etc..

I read most of your grows and my opinion on you is solid ;)
Have a great day y'all

yaz828

hey @yaz828 that's some good research you've done and i don't think there is much i can add! - i think the bubba can take fairly rich soil and good N levels but it is better not to try and 'push' it too hard... tends to look ready very early but better taken to 8 weeks minimum, a bit longer for more narcotic sleepy high.
The seeds have been said to have pretty touch coatings which can make them take a bit longer to germ so yes soak them well and don't give up on them. They don't need strong lights for veg as the leaves are fat. Watch out for modern LED fixtures they can be a bit fierce for veg. Think of the DLI (total amount of daily light) and keep in mind that an 8 hour dark period will help reduce it. if the plants' leaves are curling down to avoid the bright light by the end of the day then they are getting too much.
Appreciate your insight @VerdantGreen , yep almost done reading that longer thread you posted- some good tid bits in there thanks. do you use any watering guide such as 10% of soil volume? (ex. 0.4L water for 1gallon pot of soil) or does the amount of water not matter (as long as it drains) since it's just about ensuring the entire medium is soaked for longer wet cycle and thus watering less frequently until 'almost' dry?

Is it advised to re-pot into a 1 gallon instead of a 3 gallon for the purpose of watering properly? (wet and dry cycles with a certain volume of soil needs to be relative to the size of the plants roots at that stage? -- and therefore using too large of a pot for a younger/smaller plant would create too long of a wet or dry cycle creating under/overwatering issues?) Does going straight to a 3 gallon while only watering ex. the surrounding 1 gallon area of the plant cause issues from leaving some of the soil dry?

Are there any cloning methods (ex. cloning directly on the mom/airlayering etc.) or tricks that you know are tried and true for a higher success rate specifically with pre98 bubba? I've always struggled in this department and can't discern between the conflicting info out there (ex. method, where to take cuttings from, when such as closer to lights on or off/before or after waterings, what medium to place cuttings in (growing in organic soil), watering (distilled?), whether to use root hormone powder/gel, moisture of medium/humidity and venting etc.) 🙏

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts