What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Verdant Greens Bubba Kush S1

hamstring

Veteran
I picked up a 6 pack of Tonys Pre 98 Bubba fems. Had a 100% germ rate. If you see the runt I was for sure I killed it pulling the seed cap a part.

It had cracked open but the root tip was just spinning inside the seed so I decided to break it apart. I though for sure I had killed but low and behold she made it.

First pic is 5 days after they all sprouted

thumb_IMG_1371_1024.jpg

7 days into veg

thumb_IMG_1378_1024.jpg

10 days of veg

BK2 and BK4 are showing best vigor .

thumb_IMG_1382_1024.jpg

13 days into veg.
Man these bubbas really do veg slowly. BK4 leaves seem more rounded and has more symmetrical structure than BK 1,2,3, The rest seem to have a longer set of 2nd leaves than the 1st.

thumb_IMG_1392_1024.jpg

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Here we are at 19 days of veg

I am going to loose BK5 not sure whats going on. I really think these wide leaf indicas dont like high RH. Last few days I have been at 70% -72% RH . I started getting a leaf droop. I saw a blue color on some of the leaves of BK5. I wasnt sure if it may be a PM issue and sprayed BK5. It seem to take a turn for the worse.

thumb_IMG_1398_1024.jpg

20 days into veg
and time to transplant all of them into 1 gal containers ,except BK5 it has been culled. Some veggies in the background.

thumb_IMG_1402_1024.jpg

A couple of these have really weak stems. I'm not familiar enough with the strain to place any blame but I am 100% positive its not due to stretch. They have veged under 600watt MH from day one. BK2 & BK4 are still the best phenos so far.

I guess i could have buried them a bit deeper on transplant but the veg so damn slow I didn't want to slow them down any more.

thumb_IMG_1400_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1401_1024.jpg

hamstring

Veteran
A side and top shot of each pheno. Would like to get Tonys or some else with more experience with this strains input. I know it all comes down to taste an potency but good structure is a advantage.

I like BK2 structure because of the nice side branching. Also like the the runts BK5's canopy. Take a look at its stem. As mentioned the root tip spun inside the seed and you can tell.

thumb_IMG_1413_1024 2.jpg
thumb_IMG_1408_1024 2.jpg

thumb_IMG_1415_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1409_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1412_1024 2.jpg
thumb_IMG_1407_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_1420_1024 2.jpg
thumb_IMG_1410_1024 2.jpg

thumb_IMG_1419_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1416_1024.jpg

hamstring

Veteran
Sorry for no updates been uber busy getting outdoor ready and adding a few new strains to the collection.

I have taken cuttings of all the girls and because some of them have little to no side branching I'm wondering if I should have left two of them alone. Cant imagine getting much flower from them. They veg so slowly if they turn out to be keepers I didn't want to try and reveg them.

Well here they are all in 3 gal pots. Giving them two weeks before flipping. Fingers crossed for something special. Have heard different flower times anywhere from 8 -10 weeks but lets find out I guess.

Man I keep going to fast and missing things. Slower to win every time.

I took the cutting at the 3rd node on all of them. On some of the cuttings the distance between 3rd and 4th node for the initial scissors cut was so small, It left barely any room to make the diagonal cut. You were almost cutting in to the 3nd node with the length scalpel blade. Its only been 5 days since I took the cutting but I'm pretty sure BK 1 is not going to make it.

Another interesting thing to me was those damn leaves are so big I had to trim the leaves on the cuttings. I never do that any more.
I saw interesting pod cast on a actual scientific study and the more green surface area the better for the cuttings. Its only a detriment when they start touching each other. These bad girls were definitely touching. If I didn't trim the leaves I could only have 2 cuttings every third row in the tray. Shit was crazzzy big.

thumb_IMG_1513_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1514_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1515_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1516_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1517_1024.jpg

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Its only been 7 days since they were transplanted in to 3 gal pots. I am pleasantly surprised to see some new growth.

They were so slow to veg.

I noticed that when I transplanted out of the 1 gal pots that the bottom roots were brown. So even though they weren't showing much on top the root system was much larger. I am assuming it takes a larger root mass to support those huge fans. I think they may have grown much faster with more root space.

Totally cool to see new growth. Its not hard to see the difference in structure.

BK1 & BK3 are the two losers that if I had more experience I might be culled.

BK4 looks good but BK5, the runt of group, might have been the best of the bunch had it been given more veg time.

BK2-Shes the shit, look at the side branching. Great plant to LST.

thumb_IMG_1522_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1521_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1520_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1519_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1523_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1524_1024.jpg

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

didn't know Tony Green made a bubba kush S1.......
are they Verdant Green perhaps?
I've got a gorgeous Verdant Green Bubba Kush S1 getting ready to send her out to the greenhouse to fatten up for flowering. She actually started out as a stunted barely surviving seedling that when it finally started growing it grew two tops.

01-23-2023 mutant G13 and Pre 98 bubba s1 - Copy.jpg

01-28-2023 pic 5 - Copy.jpg

02-14-2023 VG Pre98 Bubba Kush S1 - Copy.jpg

2023-05-20 garden shot 7 - Copy.JPG

TheDarkStorm

Here we are at 19 days of veg

I am going to loose BK5 not sure whats going on. I really think these wide leaf indicas dont like high RH. Last few days I have been at 70% -72% RH . I started getting a leaf droop. I saw a blue color on some of the leaves of BK5. I wasnt sure if it may be a PM issue and sprayed BK5. It seem to take a turn for the worse.

View attachment 18837653

20 days into veg
and time to transplant all of them into 1 gal containers ,except BK5 it has been culled. Some veggies in the background.

View attachment 18837655

A couple of these have really weak stems. I'm not familiar enough with the strain to place any blame but I am 100% positive its not due to stretch. They have veged under 600watt MH from day one. BK2 & BK4 are still the best phenos so far.

I guess i could have buried them a bit deeper on transplant but the veg so damn slow I didn't want to slow them down any more.

View attachment 18837656 View attachment 18837657
Are you sure its a s1 and not further along......regardless should be intresting to see...im for sure keeping an eye on these....thanks

TheDarkStorm

I've got a gorgeous Verdant Green Bubba Kush S1 getting ready to send her out to the greenhouse to fatten up for flowering. She actually started out as a stunted barely surviving seedling that when it finally started growing it grew two tops.

View attachment 18847066

View attachment 18847067
View attachment 18847068

View attachment 18847065
Wow..that came out great....very nice

LouDog420

^^ this, most likely Verdant Green.

VG has great gear. Bubba just vegs slow, but quality will be stellar. Keep the pots big, she hates to be rootbound, and she'll reward with that bubba quality in no time. 2-3 months veg for bigger plants is not unheard of with bubba... She's not gonna stretch either and will keep stacking those tight nodes.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi there, yes i didn't know Tony did a Bubba S1 either lol! - so they are mine.
They can veg slowly unless kept very happy... you were a bit slow to make the first up-pot because the growth stalls very quickly as soon as the roots start to fill the soil in the pot... and it takes a while to get going again (which it seems to now.)
I would have advised not topping them because, although they will recover, they can sulk for quite a while, this is the same for any short hashplant type like DC, PTK. Better to wait untill they are vegged in a big pot and then they should have enough sidebranch for a cutting. Some space around them helps to develop the lower branches.
They seem to be going better now so good luck for the flowering. again make sure they have plenty of soil to grow into.
VG

hamstring

Veteran
hi there, yes i didn't know Tony did a Bubba S1 either lol! - so they are mine.
They can veg slowly unless kept very happy... you were a bit slow to make the first up-pot because the growth stalls very quickly as soon as the roots start to fill the soil in the pot... and it takes a while to get going again (which it seems to now.)
I would have advised not topping them because, although they will recover, they can sulk for quite a while, this is the same for any short hashplant type like DC, PTK. Better to wait untill they are vegged in a big pot and then they should have enough sidebranch for a cutting. Some space around them helps to develop the lower branches.
They seem to be going better now so good luck for the flowering. again make sure they have plenty of soil to grow into.
VG
VG
Thanks for jumping on and sorry for not giving you the props on your seeds/strain. Everything you just said makes complete sense after seeing my results.

Once I up potted, the roots told the story of the veg time. I am going to veg one more week before I flip them into flower. I can see why cloning off a side branch is recommended, the leaves off the top third nodes are huge.
Oh and 100% germ rate on the seeds is great also.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey no worries, they are looking ok now and another week should set them up for flowering - what happened in veg shouldn't matter now!
Bending the tops over with LST is also a less dramatic way of neutralizing the apical dominance and getting the side shoots to grow more (maybe try that next time)
Hope you like what you get, the bubba S1s mostly come out very close to the cut... and yes there will be a 'proper' runt in every pack or two but most of them will grow ok if kept happy. the pre-98 cut itself is similar in that sense.
GL,
VG

hamstring

Veteran
Redrum
I started my strain search looking at Sour Bubble but ended up with VG's BK S1. Thats why I F'ed the name of the thread when I first posted it.

I have heard it both ways but don't have the experience to even comment on BK vs SB. I am the wrong guy to ask, but maybe VG can jump in.

hamstring

Veteran
Need some help diagnosing whats going on with two of my BK's. First these two were the ones with the least side branching and I picked them as the ones to cull(BK1 & BK3). Maybe my bad mojo is causing this ;)

They are all in the same soil mix (sohum) and were doing fine as per last pics.

If you look closely at the leaves that aren't yellowing and compare them to one the better phenos (BK5) you can see the leaves are wrinkly and a little darker in color with more shine. Looks almost like too much N but cant be, wondering if Verdant Green has seen this before?

thumb_IMG_1540_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1541_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1542_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1544_1024.jpg

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi Hamstring... like you say it looks like N deficiency, but that is unlikely and i notice in the previous pics that plant 1 has slightly burnt leaf tips so the soil is maybe quite rich.
The soil looks quite dry... dry soil is useless to roots and they wont grow it into it, so make sure that ALL of the soil in the pot is wetted when watering (fabric pots can dry out and be hard to re-wet the soil) roots cannot draw up nutrients without water.
also make sure that nothing is eating the roots. It may not be too serious if just a couple of lower leaves. Brown roots can indicate that something is nibbling them like gnat larvae.
VG