What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Ventilation 101

starke

I've recently purchased a 4x4 tent.Haven't put it up yet,but having bought one is half the battle right? :)

Anyway,trying to decide on a 4" fan or a 6". Seems to me that a 6" is going to be overkill,not to mention drawing a lot of air that I paid good money to heat in the winter,and a lot of air that I paid to cool in the summer.

It also seems to me that the 6" would draw the sides of the tent inwards? Thanks for any advice.

Like Rab C. said, get the six inch and a controller. I run Hyper Fans, a six and a ten inch 24/7. They are high quailty, reasonably priced and come with the speed controller. No, I'm not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer. :biggrin:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
hey OttoGrower get the 6ins and get a variac controller then you can dim it down if needed

also you want the side's of the tent too bow in as it generates negative pressure and keeps smells going through
carbon filter instead of you house

you can put wood on inside of tent too stop it sucking in
I run an 8" in a 4x4 tent.. 6" minimum.. yes rheostat to slow it down which also will cut ambient fan noise..:tiphat:

iMavrick

Cooling necessary for LED’s

Cooling necessary for LED’s

Hey guys,

After reviewing this thread over and over I feel like I’m starting g to put the pieces together in my mind.

My setup is going to be a 5x9x6’11” tent

For lighting I’m going with 2 Fluence Spydr 2P’s

After reviewing all of the info and previous comments I am planning on using a passive intake with a single exhaust.

I’m attempting to run through the calculations, and it’s tough with the LED when trying to take into consideration the heat that they put out.

From what I can see they run around 40% cooler. I’m that case, can I get by with significantly left CFM’s for cooling?

I’m curious to know if others are running similar style set up’s or what others recommendations would be.

Thanks!

justfeelbetter

I can't understand the difference beetwen ACpM and MpAC!
How many time I need to change the air in my room for the plants? without considering lights, just for the plants

HeavenlyGoo

Hey everybody,

I was reading through some of the initial pages and i thought this would an okay place to ask this question

If for example you grow in a tent (3x3) with an intake and scrubber in tent right above light. Venting only into the space its in which is just a bigger room in a home. If smell was a concern aside from the scrubber in the tent if i bought another intake/scrubber combo and had it scrubbing the outside space tent is venting into, would that be enough to alleviate those concerns?

Thanks ahead of time.
HG

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey everybody,

I was reading through some of the initial pages and i thought this would an okay place to ask this question

If for example you grow in a tent (3x3) with an intake and scrubber in tent right above light. Venting only into the space its in which is just a bigger room in a home. If smell was a concern aside from the scrubber in the tent if i bought another intake/scrubber combo and had it scrubbing the outside space tent is venting into, would that be enough to alleviate those concerns?

Thanks ahead of time.
HG
a tent in the growing room, yes? Scrubber in tent that exhausts from tent into grow room. Depending on the size of the room, yes a second scrubber in the room will take care of the smell but your temps would probably get to be problematic unless you have an AC in there (the room) to keep temps in check (I do).

EDIT: but dont cheap out on the scrubber outside the tent.

HeavenlyGoo

Hey Snook,

Thanks for the reply sorry if it didnt make much sense i was a little stoned when i wrote it. What i meant was i have a 3x3 in a room in my house with a inline fan and scrubber in tent. But i just wanted to know if i had another intake/scrubber outside of the tent just in the room the tents in basically double scrubbing the air would that alleviate smells. And yes AC/heater running constantly but ambient temps and RH are good so that wasn't really my concern just the smell once i got to flower.

Thanks again
HG

HerbChambers

How do you deal with keeping proper humidity in a small tent while the exhaust fan is going? It seems a constant battle in my tent. The exhaust fan cools the tent, but also drop humidity below 30%.

HeavenlyGoo

Im not expert on ventilation but, depending on the power of your exhaust fan you could buy a speed controller so its not on full blast.
And in regards to raising your RH you could freeze some water bottles and put them in your tent for a slight increase. Also a humidifier is always an option.

Depending on your set up and locale it may not get much better unless you either raise or lower the temps of the house or you could create a closed system for your tent.

Happy growing HG:smoke out:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey Snook,

Thanks for the reply sorry if it didnt make much sense i was a little stoned when i wrote it. What i meant was i have a 3x3 in a room in my house with a inline fan and scrubber in tent. But i just wanted to know if i had another intake/scrubber outside of the tent just in the room the tents in basically double scrubbing the air would that alleviate smells. And yes AC/heater running constantly but ambient temps and RH are good so that wasn't really my concern just the smell once i got to flower.

Thanks again
HG
No problem, after a while here one gets to understand the ramblings of the ... what.. somewhat cornfused?:biggrin:

Yes, 2 scrubbers are better than one.

Fitzera

Its winter here and the air is super dry and cold. My seedlings and plants are anywhere from 2-4 weeks old. I'm not running the exhaust fan to allow the heater and humidifier keep the tent in the right zone.

So my question is:

How long would it take for the plants to use up the co2 before they need an air exchange? Based on roughly 151 cubic feet of space.
Normally I run the exhaust fan all the time, veg through flower, but this time I'm trying to be closer to the optimum vpd.

More curiosity than anything, I do open the tent one or two times a day to tend to things, so there is air exchange happening.

Fixer

Its winter here and the air is super dry and cold. My seedlings and plants are anywhere from 2-4 weeks old. I'm not running the exhaust fan to allow the heater and humidifier keep the tent in the right zone.

So my question is:

How long would it take for the plants to use up the co2 before they need an air exchange? Based on roughly 151 cubic feet of space.
Normally I run the exhaust fan all the time, veg through flower, but this time I'm trying to be closer to the optimum vpd.

More curiosity than anything, I do open the tent one or two times a day to tend to things, so there is air exchange happening.

I don't have a scientific explanation but I wouldn't worry about your seedlings using up the CO2. Tents aren't terribly air tight and seedlings are so small I'd imagine you'd get enough diffusion through the zippers for them. :tiphat:

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
anyone have td-silent in 4x4 tent? im using td-500 and its blowing in highest setting but my temps do not drop below 80f. how much your is?

I

Insomniac420

I need help with my extraction too.
My tent is 120cm x 120cm
I have an iso max 6in Airflow:410 m3/hr
And my tent hits 27c with 600watts
And the sides suck in a lot.

The room the tent is in. Is 21c most times

Fitzera

I need help with my extraction too.
My tent is 120cm x 120cm
I have an iso max 6in Airflow:410 m3/hr
And my tent hits 27c with 600watts
And the sides suck in a lot.

The room the tent is in. Is 21c most times

Need to open one of your inlet vents to allow a faster air exchange, that will keep your temps down. But depending on your air, you'll lose alot of your humidity

I

Insomniac420

Thanks Fitzera how do keep air going in.
When light is off. I had peice of 8ins ducting
For fresh air going in but tent was sucking in way to much. maybe I should put wood on sides