What's new

Tutorial Ventilation 101

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i had 600w hps with td-silent 350 before and my temps were just & just right during lights on. tent size 4x4.

my question: is there much difference in that noise between td-silent 350 vs 500?

i'm planing to buy td 500 but worried about noise and can i sleep with that in my bedroom.

380m3/h (125mm) vs 450m3/h (150mm)

Build a fan box (search for the threads here).

Mufflers help with exhaust noise. They can be made inline.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Mike thanks for reply.

i think worst noise come from fan and carbon filter suction. any tips to reduce it without losing any underpressure from tent?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tend to attach the fan to the filter but if you add a few feet of insulated ducting it will reduce the sound.

Depends how you sleep. I've slept in lit up veg rooms lmfao.

Sargemilla

Hey guys! I want to make a easy carbon filter and I want to know your opinions on it and if it will actually work. I don't need it to be perfect, just to remove most of it to not actually leak outside my apartment - inside is all good

This picture pretty much explains it. I can't fit your regular filter in my space as I saw everywhere (with the double tubes) so this is what I came up with. I will pour granulated active carbon between 2 HEPA(or carbon) solid filters inside a plastic duct of ~12cm diameter and than glue my pc fan on one end to force the air through the carbon granule.
Thoughts? :D

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How crucial is odour control?

The type of fan pictured doesn't handle load well. I can't speak on DIY filters beyond what I have read, some are happy with the result and others are not.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Im currently in a 2.5' x 3.5' x 7' closet with a 600w air cooled hps. Carbon filter on intake to light Hood to 430cfm inline fan to exhaust. All with 6" duct.

I want to have two fans one for light Hood, and one for carbon filter.

I would also like to have positive pressure to keep out the mites.

What would be the best way to do this? I get confused with the charts. I can get new stuff if need be, so what would be ideal- as far as fan type for the air cooled, fan type for filter?

I was thinking placing carbon filter in bedroom to tackle the smell exiting the closet.

Right now, I got smell tackled. And that is paramount

I'm trying to overkill in the odor control dept.Is there anyway I can use 2 carbon filters/1 fan,inside of a 8x4 tent ? If not,or if there is a better way, what could be done to achieve maximum odor control in a tent?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I considered trying that but was concerned about the extra noise for the extra fan. Trying t OK figure out how to run 2 filters with one fan, but that might not be possible

Put one fan on intake side and one on exhaust side. Make sure your fan can handle the restricted airflow.

Drop That Sound

:)

Attachments

• DualFilterFan.jpg
    DualFilterFan.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 46

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have always exhausted straight into my carbon filters due to my setup. It works great. No need to build a box around it. Even though you aren’t really using the foam filter, it’s not a problem

Drop That Sound

I was suggesting that 2 filters with one fan isnt impossible like the previous post on the last page. Sometimes a single filter (undersized im guessing?) just doesn't quite cut out the smell.

Hooking 2 filters with a Y wouldn't really help because it would tend to pull through the one with less restriction.

Pulling through 1 and then pushing through the other though would make sure it does get clean. More surface area to work with. The boxed filter would last a long time too, and as back up to make damn sure no smell escapes.

Also with a single box and filter, you can clean the air from 2 seperate tents by pulling air thought it, having 2 intake ports on the box. That way you dont need to by 2 seperate fans and filters. Better to buy 1 of each that are slightly bigger and save a few bucks.

The box could be a cheap plastic tote if done that way, asit would always have negative pressure inside.

Drop That Sound

Exhausting into a filter clogs the pores on the inside (which has less surface area and no prefilter) with contaminates like dust way faster than pulling through the outside with a prefilter.

Sure it works though. I wonder for how long compared to using them as designed?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Exhausting into a filter clogs the pores on the inside (which has less surface area and no prefilter) with contaminates like dust way faster than pulling through the outside with a prefilter.

No need for the box.

True exhausting thru the carbon filter has higher chance of clogging pores but all the manufacturers recommend a filter of some kind on intake.

If you are using a carbon filter on both ends, then you let the intake filter run for a while to clear out any carbon dust that was dislodged due to shipping.

I contacted Phat Filters, they said their filters work just as well on either intake or exhaust side. They too said to use a pre-filter. I asked about using one on each end and they said to get a fan that can handle the restricted airflow while still pulling enough cfms to exchange the air to my specs

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor

I’ve used a scrubber on the exhaust side of the fan forever. They usually last 2+ years. And the only reason I change them out is just because I think they should be changed. No restriction of air flow at all. I believe chunkypigs uses them like that too. Coming from a hvac background, I thought that they might clog too, but hasn’t been the case in over 15 years I’ve been doing it.

I use them like that because I’m sucking from two different areas with one fan. That way it scrubs both areas. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts