What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tutorial Ventilation 101

Bleiweis

Veteran
Any suggestions for a fan (exhaust) that does 1600 cfm and is fairly quite? I need it for a small greenhouse :)

Bleiweis

Veteran
The prices seem to vary a lot!

What about THIS ONE-CLICK? Is it suitable or am i missing something? Seems to be fairly quiet and the price is very affordable!

P.S. i'm having troubles finding a motorized inlet shutter. My goal is that when the outtake fan turns ON the inlet shutters also open (i don't plan to install a inlet fan). That can't be done via gravity shutters i suppose? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Ive been struggling with heat issues on my new grow and was hoping to possibly get some help to cool my room down.

Heres my specs, i have a 10x5 tent with 2 air cooled hoods and 2k watts

I currently can only run my 2 lights at 600 watts each and am shooting for 1k each.

I have a standing ac in the room set to 62 degrees and the room outside the tent is very cold however inside the tent when i have 2k watts running its 87 degrees.

I have it set up where i have a carbon filter hangin --> ducting-->out the top of the tent and a 6 inch inline fan sitting on top of tent blowing out into room

then i have ducting from outside the tent --> 6 inch inline fan --> ducting--> air cooled hood --> ducting --> air cooled hood --> ducting out the other side and down into the rear of the air conditioner the other exhaust on the back of the air conditioner ( i believe its 12k btu's --> window and outdoors

i have the bottom three sides of the passive rectangle vents open

please help so i can get my plants back into the tent...i just lowered lights down to 600 so i can at least put them in for now and not have to worry about stinking up my house :)

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I use just one 8” vortex fan in a 5x9 gorilla tent with two se 1000w ac reflectors no problem. Outside temps are 70F and inside the tent the temp is 74F. I have my fan/ducting setup different than you but probably doesn’t matter too much. The 8” fan is probably what’s key. And if the 8” fan moves too much air, you can always get a speedster to slow it down, although I’ve never done it.

My duct system goes:
duct intake—> air cooled hood —> air cooled hood —> out of tent —> 8” fan —> carbon scrubber

The scrubber still works the same blowing into it, and allows me to use a bigger scrubber and have more room in the tent.

My intake inside the tent to the duct system is at the top of the tent in the front middle, opposite the screened intakes, where you would normally mount to scrubber. I’m not sucking in air directly into the far air cooled hood, if that makes sense.

I’m also able to exhaust in my attic. So as soon as the duct comes out the top of the tent, it goes into the attic where the fan and scrubber is. So I’m not recycling air and have to worry about CO2. If you do exhaust in your attic make sure you have good air flow in the attic so you don’t get mold. My attic is huge, has plenty of openings for air exchange, and I check it regularly.

Corvidae

Hi.
I'm planning a decently small microcab around 1.5 sqft and 10-15 ft3. It'll only contain at most 90w of LED light and in my opinion not need a lot of ventilation. My trouble is that I don't know how to size up the exhaust right, or rather what the best type of fan would be. I was planning on a DIY scrubber like the ones seen on the forums, 4"x12" (equivalent to a Can 33). If I've run the numbers right it'd require about 30cfm for a 10ft3 cab, and I'm a cheapskate.
What would be a good fan? Am I right in thinking that way oversizing the carbon scrubber would allow me some headroom in the static pressure requirements of the fan? I don't live in the US and the cheapest "proper" inline fan (S&P TD-160/100 N SILENT) is around 100$ without a speed controller.
Help.

Corvidae

Hi.
I'm planning a decently small microcab around 1.5 sqft and 10-15 ft3. It'll only contain at most 90w of LED light and in my opinion not need a lot of ventilation. My trouble is that I don't know how to size up the exhaust right, or rather what the best type of fan would be. I was planning on a DIY scrubber like the ones seen on the forums, 4"x12" (equivalent to a Can 33). If I've run the numbers right it'd require about 30cfm for a 10ft3 cab, and I'm a cheapskate.
What would be a good fan? Am I right in thinking that way oversizing the carbon scrubber would allow me some headroom in the static pressure requirements of the fan? I don't live in the US and the cheapest "proper" inline fan (S&P TD-160/100 N SILENT) is around 100$ without a speed controller.
Help.
The cheaper option I've found outside of PC fans is this. Would it work?
vBKPmff.png

Raho

Veteran
Any suggestions for a fan (exhaust) that does 1600 cfm and is fairly quite? I need it for a small greenhouse :)
Are you using it for recirc or exhaust?

I don't think there is any such thing as a quiet fan that moves 1600 CFM.
General rule of thumb is fans are louder when run at max speed.
Buy more fan than you need and run is slower with a speed controller.
Metal blades are quieter and more efficient that plastic.
If you buy a big cheap fan with plastic blades you will make a lot of noise and not move much air.

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/equip/cooling/fans/

I use just one 8” vortex fan in a 5x9 gorilla tent with two se 1000w ac reflectors no problem. Outside temps are 70F and inside the tent the temp is 74F. I have my fan/ducting setup different than you but probably doesn’t matter too much. The 8” fan is probably what’s key. And if the 8” fan moves too much air, you can always get a speedster to slow it down, although I’ve never done it.

My duct system goes:
duct intake—> air cooled hood —> air cooled hood —> out of tent —> 8” fan —> carbon scrubber

The scrubber still works the same blowing into it, and allows me to use a bigger scrubber and have more room in the tent.

My intake inside the tent to the duct system is at the top of the tent in the front middle, opposite the screened intakes, where you would normally mount to scrubber. I’m not sucking in air directly into the far air cooled hood, if that makes sense.

I’m also able to exhaust in my attic. So as soon as the duct comes out the top of the tent, it goes into the attic where the fan and scrubber is. So I’m not recycling air and have to worry about CO2. If you do exhaust in your attic make sure you have good air flow in the attic so you don’t get mold. My attic is huge, has plenty of openings for air exchange, and I check it regularly.

So I went out and purchased an 8 inch fan and hooked it up but it did not do the trick. The temps end up around over 86 degrees once I made the switch. I now have 2 6 inch fans, an 8 inch and and AC that is keeping my room outside the tent at about 65 degrees yet I can’t keep my room in the 70s unless I’m running both lights at 600. I’ve tried to find other threads with this situation for a solution but can’t find anything. At this point I wish I could just get this figured out 🙁 does anyone have any other suggestions? Also how much less of a yield would I be looking at if I switch from the planned 2k watts on 50 plants to 2 600 watts on 50 plants?

pinkus

Veteran
then i have ducting from outside the tent --> 6 inch inline fan --> ducting--> air cooled hood --> ducting --> air cooled hood --> ducting out the other side and down into the rear of the air conditioner the other exhaust on the back of the air conditioner ( i believe its 12k btu's --> window and outdoors

Never try to vent hot air DOWN. It's lighter than cold air and wants to rise.

Totally not sure that you are trying to do that, but if you are, a huge part of your problems lie there.

Never try to vent hot air DOWN. It's lighter than cold air and wants to rise.

Totally not sure that you are trying to do that, but if you are, a huge part of your problems lie there.

That makes sense. Im not sure what other option i would have though seeing as my fan is blowing through the 2 air cooled hoods and out the other side of the tent and then down to the in port of the AC. I did have an idea of venting the cold air from the AC directly in to the bottom port of my tent which does in fact seem to be cooling the air in there (current temp is 75.6 but slowly rising so only time will tell. However there is now more air entering the tent than being pushed out via my fan the is sucking air in the tent through the carbon filter. ill try to post some pics...

heres a few pics of the rigged box i made an cut out a 6 inch hole to make it air sealed to run the ducting to the bottom of the tent. There was too much air entering faster than leaving so i cut a few holes in the ducting to release some of the air pressure. As you can see my tent is currently looking like the marshmallow man https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment...nt.php?attachmentid=488245&stc=1&d=1552433935

Attachments

• NEW AC.jpg
    NEW AC.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 61
  • NEW AC2.jpg
    NEW AC2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 64
  • NEW AC 3.jpg
    NEW AC 3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 61
  • NEW AC 4.jpg
    NEW AC 4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 61

NzGreenWhanau

Just cruzing past an couldnt help overhearing your conversation

Just cruzing past an couldnt help overhearing your conversation

heres a few pics of the rigged box i made an cut out a 6 inch hole to make it air sealed to run the ducting to the bottom of the tent. There was too much air entering faster than leaving so i cut a few holes in the ducting to release some of the air pressure. As you can see my tent is currently looking like the marshmallow man https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment...nt.php?attachmentid=488245&stc=1&d=1552433935

Are you venting the lights into the aircon?
Why not have the aircon in the tent?with the exhaust of the air con being vented straight out of the tent

Last edited:
R

Rab.C

Sup icmag needing some help with extraction for a 600watt hps.in a 3ft x 3ft

grow tent.my local hydro shop recommended. a 6ins isomax fan that moves (410m3/hour)

but it struggles too cool 400 watt hps temps are 25.6c never mind a 600watt and its getting warmer here so i will struggle with tents in summer.so i need to buy i bigger fan to help with summer heat.and i am going to buy a cmh 315 to help with temps. what size of fan do you think i will need cheers rab

:tiphat: Good night, and thank you for all the information here...

Can someone help me out what would be the best option, for a green qube gq100 the size of it is 1x1x2 grow tent. I'm going to use led in screw so the heat shouldn't be a major issue.

I saw here in the forum people using a single S&P TD160/100 N SILENT In-Line Duct Fan with a can filter of the same size 4... with very good results....

Is that a good bet or should I buy a Ruck fan, acoustic ducting, a filter with the the same size of the extractor... If i understood correctly the out-take should be the double of the intake so if there's only a small pc fan working in the intake the extractor and filter can be from the same size?

The other option i saw was to use carbo air 50 filter kits with rvk fan and if it makes noise, i would have to buy a fan controller or a silencer.

After reading these threat there are even other option to pick like having a intake fan (Axial, metal blades), filter, and the double size extractor fan with other carbon filter attached.

What would be the best option please, im pretty sure that exist even others but my know how is very limited... Sorry for so many questions and for any bad English... Any help would be very appreciated, kind regards to all :biggrin: peace and love all

Last edited:

El Tigre

:tiphat: Good night, and thank you for all the information here...

Can someone help me out what would be the best option, for a green qube gq100 the size of it is 1x1x2 grow tent. I'm going to use led in screw so the heat shouldn't be a major issue.

I saw here in the forum people using a single S&P TD160/100 N SILENT In-Line Duct Fan with a can filter of the same size 4... with very good results....

Is that a good bet or should I buy a Ruck fan, acoustic ducting, a filter with the the same size of the extractor... If i understood correctly the out-take should be the double of the intake so if there's only a small pc fan working in the intake the extractor and filter can be from the same size?

The other option i saw was to use carbo air 50 filter kits with rvk fan and if it makes noise, i would have to buy a fan controller or a silencer.

After reading these threat there are even other option to pick like having a intake fan (Axial, metal blades), filter, and the double size extractor fan with other carbon filter attached.

What would be the best option please, im pretty sure that exist even others but my know how is very limited... Sorry for so many questions and for any bad English... Any help would be very appreciated, kind regards to all :biggrin: peace and love all

If i was you i would choice a a bigger extractor with a dimmer to reduce power and noise. Your tent is not very small and a good ventilation is important. I'd also give a try to passive intake first, with a possible upgrade plan, in the case you are not happy.

OttoGrower

I've recently purchased a 4x4 tent.Haven't put it up yet,but having bought one is half the battle right? :)

Anyway,trying to decide on a 4" fan or a 6". Seems to me that a 6" is going to be overkill,not to mention drawing a lot of air that I paid good money to heat in the winter,and a lot of air that I paid to cool in the summer.

It also seems to me that the 6" would draw the sides of the tent inwards?

Thanks for any advice.

R

Rab.C

hey OttoGrower get the 6ins and get a variac controller then you can dim it down if needed

also you want the side's of the tent too bow in as it generates negative pressure and keeps smells going through
carbon filter instead of you house

you can put wood on inside of tent too stop it sucking in