What's new

Vegan Organics with Professor Matt Rize

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

schwagg

cheeze, i've cloned an auto before! never again... that's the center of a roll of elec tape.

picture.php

DARC MIND

Veteran
YK, that post wasnt really directed towards u, more to matt
so calcium peroxide pwder cant be mixed and applyed with water?

Y

Yankee Grower

YK, that post wasnt really directed towards u, more to matt
so calcium peroxide pwder cant be mixed and applyed with water?
Yeah I was pretty sure that was the case but just being clear.

As for the CP from what I understand needs to be in the soil mix. Pretty sure REv used in a zone. You can possibly try a bottom watering with it and may work. The stuff is hard to get a hold of by the general public. I think it's available in Canada on the shelf in small packages for ag use. I know it's used as a dough conditioner but also can be made into bombs so they watch distribution a bit. Solvay, among others, makes a powder but also granules.

I see no reason/purpose to top water with it.

Matt Rize

My system is designed around cutting off all nutrients

My system is designed around cutting off all nutrients

It's the micronutrients, more specifically trace elements, that can have the strongest impact on smoke quality especially if used heavily late in flower. Late applications of Mg are also a no-no in this regard.

Then there's the difference between bottle feeding throughout flower and building soil from the beginning with minimal nute applications except stuff like mild teas.

I certainly do not feed late into flower, my plants are completely lacking of chlorophyll by the end, something I do on purpose and the main benefit of using a soil-less media IMO for an organic system.

And if any of you are in the bay, I would gladly donate a sample for testing...

Back to the scissors... sigh. At least it is 80 and sunny with a nice Pacific breeze.

Y

Yankee Grower

I certainly do not feed late into flower, my plants are completely lacking of chlorophyll by the end, something
To me remaining chlorophyll doesn't mean much regarding smoke quality. You can have nice 'flushed' pale looking salt grown plants and smokes like crap. You can pluck dark green truly organically grown plants, not vegan grown though...lol, and smokes sweet and smooth with virtually no cure. My first indoor organic crop finished green and I was bummed but my mentor told me don't worry and he was right.

Chlorophyll is low on my list for negatively affecting smoke quality but still don't make green finished plants my goal.

DARC MIND

Veteran
Spurr - I posted a pic of that male in regards to discussion about soil porosity as your comments did get me thinking about things...as your comments usually do...lol.
heres another pic for kicks
picture.php

soil ,water and fed w/ fermented nettle once if i remember correctly
panama red frm HHF:)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This means that less than 5% of the mix is synthetic, and I would guess it is more like less than 1%. Still, that sucks in terms of 100% organic.
Info? Since the two products are both 2% available N...hmmmm

So does that mean Biocanna is or is not the backbone of your veganics program?

I assume BT is bioterra?

I would have a hard time believing that a small amount of synthetic micros is going to have a noticeable affect on the smoke quality.

This is the point I am accustomed to hearing from chemical growers.

BTW it seems you may have some misconceptions concerning how quickly nutrients are cycled via the microbial loop. Protozoa (notably flagellates) can multiply every two hours in the rhyzosphere, nevermind the ones which excyst to consume the bacteria/archaea which multiply within 20 minute ranges, nevermind bacterial feeding nematodes (which release nutrients by eating bacteria) existent in a healthy soil (or soilless media with the correct porosity and organic matter to support this life). In other words change brought about in a plant is equally rapid (to chemicals) when using natural growing techniques.

I understand (I think; correct me if wrong) that you are based in the old growing paradigm where the thought process is 'feed' the plant different bottled/packaged fertilizers for veg or flower along with the thought being that all nutrients remaining in the media must be used up by the plant for it to produce optimum fruit/flower.

I at one time believed all this myself until I started learning from nature (and science) and experience.

I want to let you know that I bear no malice towards you. I only seek the truth and am always ready to be wrong.

Y

Yankee Grower

Spurr - One thing I wanted to add when you mentioned using microbes for something like soil decontamination where compounds were transformed, or something like that, is to look at products from Tainio Technologies as they offer a formula with a strain that actually converts sodium to potassium.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
To me remaining chlorophyll doesn't mean much regarding smoke quality. You can have nice 'flushed' pale looking salt grown plants and smokes like crap. You can pluck dark green truly organically grown plants, not vegan grown though...lol, and smokes sweet and smooth with virtually no cure. My first indoor organic crop finished green and I was bummed but my mentor told me don't worry and he was right.

Chlorophyll is low on my list for negatively affecting smoke quality but still don't make green finished plants my goal.
I'll have to agree with this.
Some types never yellow,some purple,some yellow out quite a bit. This is based upon my observations over the last 20 years running the various types repeatedly through cycles.

I have smoked your Strawberry cough,Adonai Kush,and your "Ultra"Sour diesel.It is all realy nice ganja bro no doubt about that.However,it was not worth the ridiculous price (2dollars more a gram than anything else)nor was it any better than the "bio"grown meds at this same dispensory.In my opinion the meds I smoked of yours remind me of aeroponicly grown herb in that there is alot of resin but only medium flavor it even looked like it was aero grown.I personaly think there is something unnatural about Veganics in that we all come from the earth and we all go back to it.Dont get we wrong man it was realy powerful herb it just lacked some of the complexity of high and flavor that "traditionaly"grown organic herb has.But thats just my observation.

Matt Rize

None of that was mine..

None of that was mine..

I have smoked your Strawberry cough,Adonai Kush,and your "Ultra"Sour diesel.It is all realy nice ganja bro no doubt about that.However,it was not worth the ridiculous price (2dollars more a gram than anything else)nor was it any better than the "bio"grown meds at this same dispensory.In my opinion the meds I smoked of yours remind me of aeroponicly grown herb in that there is alot of resin but only medium flavor it even looked like it was aero grown.I personaly think there is something unnatural about Veganics in that we all come from the earth and we all go back to it.Dont get we wrong man it was realy powerful herb it just lacked some of the complexity of high and flavor that "traditionaly"grown organic herb has.But thats just my observation.

post edit: request removed. did not know we can't meet in real life via this forum... i should read those rules sometime... sorry

Matt Rize

Superfund sites?

Superfund sites?

Spurr - One thing I wanted to add when you mentioned using microbes for something like soil decontamination where compounds were transformed, or something like that, is to look at products from Tainio Technologies as they offer a formula with a strain that actually converts sodium to potassium.

Microbes can do amazing things. BUT when I lived in WA the neighborhood I lived in had to have the top soil replaced completely due to toxins... and that was just your average neighborhood with average people growing average food in the ground.

Matt Rize

Not exactly

Not exactly

I understand (I think; correct me if wrong) that you are based in the old growing paradigm where the thought process is 'feed' the plant different bottled/packaged fertilizers for veg or flower along with the thought being that all nutrients remaining in the media must be used up by the plant for it to produce optimum fruit/flower.

I have become increasingly BORED with traditional organics and have been testing different bottled formulas and soil-less mixes (which are designed for each other as soil doesn't need additional food).

I used to only grow in soil and from seed organically. That took a while to master. Then I switched to soil-less organics, and that took another few years to master. Now I have switched to vegan organic soil-less, and it has been a year. In a few years I'm sure I'll be doing something else... maybe vegan soil like jay. Or who knows, maybe I'll try hydro or aero-veganics by then.

You are somewhat correct in thinking that I believe "all remaining nutes must be used up" BUT this only applies to soil-less media, like the BTPlus. And I was attempting to avoid explaining my soil-less preference in the soil forum... but I think by now it doesn't matter. I think this may be the underlying issue here: I don't grow in soil, yet I only want to communicate with the organic soil crew.

When I stop feeding my plants they immediately go through an incredible display of secondary pigments. I attribute this, seemingly instant response to lack of food, to the soil-less nature of my media and the absolute lack of slow release by this point in the life cycle.
And if you "eat with your eyes" ... aesthetics plays a huge roll in overall experience, be it psychosomatic or not.

Of course genetics and environmental conditions play a huge roll in the expression of these "fall colors". But I want every variety to finish significantly less green than when I flipped to 12/12.

Chlorophyll has a strong taste, be it in flowers or hash. And curing flowers is so great because it allows some if the chlorophyll to be brokendown. I simply choose to get a jump start on that process. This works for most varieties.

Matt Rize

To quote Carl Sagan

To quote Carl Sagan

Please direct me to papers in which mammalian pathogens are hosted by plants in particular cannabis.

"Carl Sagan famously criticized the practice by referring to it as "impatience with ambiguity", pointing out that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". This should not, however, be taken to mean that one can never possess evidence that something does not exist (one can possess such evidence). Instead, Sagan's famous quote is a reminder that inferences must be made carefully, and that science makes no claims to absolute certainty, only high probability." from stupid wiki.

I am not bashing science or research. That is what I went to school for, and I have taken part in much research including: the desert, underwater, in the mountains, in the rivers, and in the labs. Big up the researchers, Cannabis is finally coming into the light.

Matt Rize

"Oh Captain My Captain" (imagine me standing on a desk)

"Oh Captain My Captain" (imagine me standing on a desk)

Thanks Capt.

picture.php

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I never worry about pathogens on my plants because when I harvest the plant there's a pot of boiling water that I plunge the stalk into to push out the resins plus it kills all that icky stuff.

I learned that on the In-ter-net from a guy who really grows the dank!

HTH

CC

Y

Yankee Grower

Chlorophyll has a strong taste, be it in flowers or hash. And curing flowers is so great because it allows some if the chlorophyll to be brokendown. I simply choose to get a jump start on that process. This works for most varieties.
Once something is dry chlorophyll stops breaking down. If chlorophyll were to break down during a cure the herb will change color. I work with products containing a lot of chlorophyll and one thing for sure is you can see chlorophyll break down to pheophorbide, under wet conditions, which is considered phototoxic when ingested meaning when you go into the sun there's a mild to strong reaction in your skin. Chlorophyll can also break down to pheophytin also but that happens once chlorophyll hits your stomach anyway. Chlorophyll does not really get to your small intestines or if it does it's only a small amount.

Last edited:

NUG-JUG

I have smoked your Strawberry cough,Adonai Kush,and your "Ultra"Sour diesel.It is all realy nice ganja bro no doubt about that.However,it was not worth the ridiculous price (2dollars more a gram than anything else)

sounds like the prices for good organics here...$18-20 per gram, this is why i have my card yet still get bud from what i grow, and friends, always cheaper, just as dank. I don't get these dispensaries who charge so much when people like me have been getting $10-15 grams since i was shit...14?

Matt R- i don't agree that the line between soil and soil-less ( whatever that means) is the fact that ewc are added. how does that make it soil all the sudden? isn't peat moss in the ground? also yellowing in organics is not brought on by the grower imo..it's the plant choosing to stop eating since it's dieing. so trying to induce yellowing is a fool's errand once you understand the soil life.. btw that bud looks pretty good nice and dark pigment with lots o crystal..although your pics are blurry like a lot of mine, sucks to be good at growing , and bad at photography.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts