What's new

Using anti-freeze to protect outdoor grow from deer.

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
Deputy Fish and Game Officer here........Id see you prosecuted for poisoning wildlife a Federal Crime..

edit **I ment Auxiliary Fish and Game Officer but couldn't find that word at the time

My recommendation is

Attachments

• medium-cover.jpg
    medium-cover.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 29

soil margin

Veteran
You can kill someone who comes into your house to rob you, so yes you can kill an animal that tries to steal from your garden. The method used is irrelevant. American citizens have an inherent right to defend their property, using lethal force if necessary.

Sorry if that makes the animal nutters even crazier than they already were. The rights of humans supersede those of deer, dogs, etc. Doesn't matter if it's cute and fluffy.

I find it funny how many people will act like it's a tragedy to kill a mammal to protect your cannabis, but happily murder insects and reptiles on a regular basis while trying to shame you for your "violent unethical behavior". Apparently they think that they get to decide the rules on which life matters and which life doesn't.

Why is poisoning insects okay? But poisoning deer bad? I don't base an animals right to exist on whether or not it's got hair.

Out of Meds

Out of Meds

You can kill someone who comes into your house to rob you, so yes you can kill an animal that tries to steal from your garden. The method used is irrelevant. American citizens have an inherent right to defend their property, using lethal force if necessary.

Sorry if that makes the animal nutters even crazier than they already were. The rights of humans supersede those of deer, dogs, etc. Doesn't matter if it's cute and fluffy.

I find it funny how many people will act like it's a tragedy to kill a mammal to protect your cannabis, but happily murder insects and reptiles on a regular basis while trying to shame you for your "violent unethical behavior". Apparently they think that they get to decide the rules on which life matters and which life doesn't.

Why is poisoning insects okay? But poisoning deer bad? I don't base an animals right to exist on whether or not it's got hair.

What are you out of your nut meds? You are one crazy SOB :moon:

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Because you are only allowed to protect your or another's life or prevent grievous bodily harm..
In this state, you are not allowed to shoot someone to protect "things".

Also, there is a hunting season on most game and fur bearing mammals. Their harvest is regulated by the state. And if you are a farmer you usually need a depredation permit to shoot critters out of season and if you do have a permit the state wants to know what, where and when you take them out. . There's no season on ants or termites.

And if you want to kill mammals eating your plants, grow a sack and kill them right, quickly and ethically. Dont put out antifreeze that can kill animals other than your target species with a slow lingering painful death and may not be at all effective against the mammal you are targeting.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
old bowls or plastic tubs or containers you would normally throw away..
Place them around in your garden...
Pee in them often... Empty the old pee first...

Deer know the urine is from a human and will avoid the area unless they are really starving.
Pee more than 3 days old won't work because deer can tell it's old and figure the human has gone...

Also, I have discovered that a woman's pee doesn't work...
I think the deer can smell the difference and are not nearly as afraid of a female human...

Anyone who puts out anti freeze is a sick, sadistic bastard...

i've peed out of a tree stand and had deer come in within 20 minutes & shuffle around in the leaves smelling it. took a crap once (ONLY once) while out deer hunting. deer came by not ten minutes later, and you would have thought that i had shot at them the way they blew up and ran. if you have a zoo nearby, lion or tiger crap seems to work very well. had a biologist tell me once that animals could tell what sex you were from urine odor, but could smell if you were a meat eater by the smell of your excrement... prey animals don't hang around with predators...very long.:)

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
We used to use human urine on scent post sets for fox and coyote.
They smell pee then want to pee on top of it to reestablish their marker.

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
Well I used to hunt a self representative Game (Some call the ultimate Game

Now I survive on deer and Elk

Dont leave my property without my Savage LaPua .338 give me a Mile head start.......In OIR i split a Al Qaeda turned ISIS skull for fucking with a cat and I hate cats

Attachments

• over a mile away.jpg
    over a mile away.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 31

redlaser

Veteran
Chicken wire cages make more sense for younger plants, older larger plants usually don’t get messed with. Antifreeze is pretty lazy, affects non target animals and is most likely not a repellent, not like the deer can understand what’s going on.

Depredation permits can be acquired by homeowners for property you own, but like Capt.Ahab mentions they will want an accounting of how you used it. I got one for a bear getting into our chickens, never shot the bear though. Mostly just got it to cover my ass if he messed with people, but animals as well.

So true about foxes marking territory, have a couple game cameras set up, and fox are number one in frequency, at least one or two a night. Usually marking territory at water and elsewhere, often pissing in the water itself.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just wait for hunting season then shoot the deer and eat them.
The only time Ive had deer eat my plants was when the plants were young.
Once the plants flower it seems as though the deer dont care to nibble on them.
So much this. Hell, I don't even care if you poach the deer out of season.

Don't poison them.

igrowone

Veteran
Farmers can only use non-lethal no injury type of abatement. If they do anything to harm the animals, they will get charged with numerous crimes. We are not living in 1950's anymore :)
say what?
rodents such as rats are routinely poisoned

green-genes77

Veteran

It doesn't seem like that's where anyone in this thread is coming from. Personally, as someone who has grown in just about every scenario imaginable including guerilla for 10+ years, I have never found it necessary to deter deer with anything more than barriers. Laying out antifreeze in such a way and letting it get into the food chain could have far reaching consequences, and the bottom line is that it's lazy, amateurish growing. The difference for me when it comes to insects, mites, etc. is that there are a number of generally innocuous substances that kill pests on contact, so they aren't ending up in the gut of the next trophic level. That may not be a reasonable differentiation to the next person, but I have no regrets about managing the occasional pest in such a way that it has little to no residual risk to other life. As always, sanitation and proper horticultural praxis is generally enough to keep pests to a minimum anyway. Shoot the deer and eat it? Sure.

How does a guerilla grower growing on someone else's property have a right to pull some shit like this? Do you really think Americans have an inherent right to defend a clandestine operation of this sort when they don't even own the land the operation is on?

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's like a startrec story. They're doing what? I'm sorry, you're not ready to join any federation.

G

It's like a startrec story. They're doing what? I'm sorry, you're not ready to join any federation.
Im sorry do you doubt its a real story? PM me and I can link you to the discussion and I sent, traded a PM with the douche have had a PM trying to justify it. There are members here who are there and probably know it. Good place but when a few of the long time members try and defend it Im done.

troutman

Seed Whore
One thing that I have been doing all Summer is make a smoke tiny fire just before daybreak or
at night so nobody can see the smoke. A smoke fire for even 15 minutes each time you go out
will help a lot in scaring animals like deer. I also used the little fire to get rid of soil bags,etc.
and recently any male plants not selected for breeding.

P

pongster

just grow other stuff along with it that can make a vegetable barrier, it's not that hard to think

cheez poisoning the soil for a couple of grams of weed
you are the worst kind

G

Your a scumbag of indescribable dimensions. Id love to feed you a shot of prestone.

therevverend

Veteran

I find it funny how many people will act like it's a tragedy to kill a mammal to protect your cannabis, but happily murder insects and reptiles on a regular basis while trying to shame you for your "violent unethical behavior".

What the fuck? Shooting someone's fucking dog is the same as squishing a bug? If I shot every dog and cat that trespassed on my property I'd be a real asshole. You can't just unload on a deer for eating your lilacs on your precious property. My state has this law:

(1) It is unlawful to kill protected wildlife or endangered species (as defined in RCW 77.08.010) unless authorized by commission rule or with a permit from the department, with the following additional requirements:
(a) Federally listed threatened or endangered species will require federal permits or federal authority, in addition to a state permit.
(b) All migratory birds are federally protected and may require a federal permit or federal authority, in addition to a state permit.
(2) Killing wildlife causing damage to a commercial crop or to livestock.
It is permissible to kill unclassified wildlife, predatory birds, and game animals that are in the act of damaging commercial crops or attacking livestock or other domestic animals, under the following conditions:
(a) Predatory birds (defined in RCW 77.08.010) and unclassified wildlife that are in the act of damaging commercial crops or attacking livestock or other domestic animals may be killed with the express permission of the crop, livestock, domestic animals, or property owner at any time on private property, to protect domestic animals, livestock, or commercial crops.
(b) If an owner has attempted nonlethal damage control techniques and acquires verbal or written approval from the department, they may kill an individual (one) deer or elk during the physical act of damaging commercial crops within a twelve-month period. The owner must notify the department within twenty-four hours of kill. The department will document animals harvested under this subsection and will ensure harvest is consistent with herd management objectives developed cooperatively with comanagers where available.
(c) Multiple deer or elk may be killed if they are in the act of damaging commercial crops if the owner, owner's immediate family member, agent of the owner, or owner's documented employee is issued damage prevention or kill permits and the owner has a valid, written damage prevention cooperative agreement with the department.
(d) An owner may kill an individual (one) black bear or cougar during the physical act of attacking livestock or domestic animals with or without an agreement or permit within a twelve-month period. The owner must notify the department within twenty-four hours of kill.
(3) Killing wildlife causing damage or killing wildlife to prevent private property damage.
(a) Predatory birds (as defined in RCW 77.08.010(39)), unclassified wildlife, and eastern gray squirrels may be killed by the owner of private property, owner's immediate family, agent of the owner, or the owner's documented employee with the express permission of the private real property owner at any time, to prevent private property damage on private real property.
(b) Subject to subsection (7) of this section, the following list of wildlife species may be killed by the owner of the property, owner's immediate family member, agent of the owner, owner's documented employee, or licensed hunters/trappers in a lawful manner with the express permission of the private real property owner, when causing damage to private property: Raccoon, fox, bobcat, beaver, muskrat, mink, river otter, weasel, hare, and cottontail rabbits.
(c) The department may make agreements with landowners to prevent private property damage by wildlife. The agreements may authorize permits to remove animal(s) to abate private property damage.
(d) Landowners are encouraged to allow general season hunting and trapping on their property to help minimize damage potential and concerns.
(4) Wildlife control operators may assist property owners under the conditions of their certification or permits to remove animals causing damage.
(5) Tribal members may assist property owners under the conditions of valid comanagement agreements between tribes and the department. Tribes must be in compliance with the agreements including, but not limited to, adhering to reporting requirements, possession, and harvest restrictions.
(6) Hunting licenses and/or associated tags are not required to kill wildlife under this section unless the killing is pursuant to subsections (2)(c) and (3)(b) of this section. Hunters and trappers participating in harvesting wildlife under this section must comply with provisions of each permit. Tribal members operating under subsection (5) of this section are required to meet tribal hunting license, tag, and permit requirements.
(7) Except as specifically provided in a permit from the department or a rule of the commission, people taking wildlife under this rule are subject to the laws and rules of the state.

say what?
rodents such as rats are routinely poisoned

Yes there are animals classified as 'vermin' you can poison the shit out of them. This is the law pertaining to poisons, I'd guess fucking radiator coolant is in this category.

RCW 16.52.190

Poisoning animals—Penalty.

(1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, a person is guilty of the crime of poisoning animals if the person intentionally or knowingly poisons an animal under circumstances which do not constitute animal cruelty in the first degree.
(2) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to euthanizing by poison an animal in a lawful and humane manner by the animal's owner, or by a duly authorized servant or agent of the owner, or by a person acting pursuant to instructions from a duly constituted public authority.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to the reasonable use of rodent or pest poison, insecticides, fungicides, or slug bait for their intended purposes. As used in this section, the term "rodent" includes but is not limited to Columbia ground squirrels, other ground squirrels, rats, mice, gophers, rabbits, and any other rodent designated as injurious to the agricultural interests of the state as provided in *chapter 17.16 RCW. The term "pest" as used in this section includes any pest as defined in RCW 17.21.020.
(4) A person violating this section is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.

I'd never use a poison, fences are the way to go. You could also get a hungry cat. On Craig's List there's a study right now, they have feral cats they've trapped. They're offering to loan them to breweries, warehouses, and farms to kill rodents. As a way of finding homes for the vicious little bastards instead of euthanizing them. To see if it's a viable use for the unwanted felines. I'd love to call them up and say, 'Yeah I'm a ganja farmer with a rodent problem.' If I had a state grow license I'd think about it, my current feline is too fat and lazy..

CaptainDankness

I can't imagine a good conversation with someone who is trying to poison deer. I'd probably get into a fight, I mean someone that careless needs to be beaten.

I hunt deer and so do a lot of people I know and not one person would be alright with you wasting the meat. Especially for a few plants the deer probably ain't too interested in. I'm pretty sure they don't like cannabis flowers and more so go for the young plants. Just never lost a mature plant to deer myself.

But whoever this asshole is, I sure hope karma hits him hard.

redlaser

Veteran
I’ve been looking for a dog for the last month and a half, visiting 6 different shelters weekly.
Almost all of them have what they call barn cats, mostly feral or all feral cats. We got one that is about 50/50, stays in the house though.
Have to give them a place to get out of the elements , probably wouldn’t stick around otherwise

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Im sorry do you doubt its a real story? PM me and I can link you to the discussion and I sent, traded a PM with the douche have had a PM trying to justify it. There are members here who are there and probably know it. Good place but when a few of the long time members try and defend it Im done.

You misunderstand what I said. People are weighing off bugs against bunnies against deer. A hierarchical argument, that ends with us at the top. But lets presume we are not, and that an advanced race was to judge us. Seeing us slowly poison other animals, for a mostly recreational plant that can be grown elsewhere. Then how we war among ourselves, for whatever reason, which is usually bollox. There is just too much wrong doing against others that did nothing wrong. The gorilla's if deer are somehow to far detached for people to empathise. Polar bears. Elephants. Will will wipe out anything for any sort of transient profit.

We are more the animals, than many of the animals we effect

Last edited: