What's new

Using anti-freeze to protect outdoor grow from deer.

G

So is it cool to protect your outdoor grow from deer by putting out anti-freeze to poison the local indigenous wildlife ? Even better if its a gorilla grow on not your property? Came across a person who thought it was fine and then a bunch of folks leapt to defend said grower. What say you outdoor growers who understand how vile and horrible anti-freeze is to die from for an animal that only thinks its sweet.
Have you ever dealt with the process of an mammal ingesting this poison and the effects until death is the best relief? What kind of scumbag puts out anti-freeze to poison animals ?

troutman

Seed Whore
I say no. You may kill a dog,etc. :frown:

There are safer methods. Like milk and eggs allowed to ferment
together and sprayed around the perimeter on other foliage will
work and not kill anything. Adding chopped garlic cloves helps.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Pee in a jar for a few days, and then our it around your grow to keep deer away. This method apparently works, and keeps the deer away without harming them. Naturally some chicken-wire fencing around each plant will protect your grow from most wildlife, especially when th trees are still young.

Anti-freeze contains ethylene glycol, which is a really nasty poison that causes a slow agonizing death if accidentally ingested. For heaven's sake do not place that stuff anywhere that it can be tasted by pets or wildlife.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So is it cool to protect your outdoor grow from deer by putting out anti-freeze to poison the local indigenous wildlife ? Even better if its a gorilla grow on not your property? Came across a person who thought it was fine and then a bunch of folks leapt to defend said grower. What say you outdoor growers who understand how vile and horrible anti-freeze is to die from for an animal that only thinks its sweet.
Have you ever dealt with the process of an mammal ingesting this poison and the effects until death is the best relief? What kind of scumbag puts out anti-freeze to poison animals ?

I have zero qualms saying that guy should be forced to drink that shit and die a slow agonizing death from it.

Fuck that asshole!

People like such can't see past themselves into the circle of life. Same people will poison the water without any conscious and wont care until they too are with water quality poorer then Flint municipal water. Sociopaths anyway, they are all the same thing in the end..

Mr. J

That's really dumb. It will do nothing to repel deer, actually might just attract them. The fucking deer don't know it's poison so why the hell would they avoid it if they like the taste?

igrowone

Veteran
not making excuses for them, but farmers have been poisoning wildlife for a long time
the appeal of deer makes it appear even more heinous
not something i would do though

Mr. J

If the idea is to kill all the animals then ya, makes sense. A fence would be better to simply keep them out.

igrowone

Veteran
If the idea is to kill all the animals then ya, makes sense. A fence would be better to simply keep them out.
fencing is expensive, high maintenance, and often impractical
if it was easier it would be done more often
poisons are the dark side, but cheap and effective

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Pee in a jar for a few days, and then our it around your grow to keep deer away. This method apparently works, and keeps the deer away without harming them. .

old bowls or plastic tubs or containers you would normally throw away..
Place them around in your garden...
Pee in them often... Empty the old pee first...

Deer know the urine is from a human and will avoid the area unless they are really starving.
Pee more than 3 days old won't work because deer can tell it's old and figure the human has gone...

Also, I have discovered that a woman's pee doesn't work...
I think the deer can smell the difference and are not nearly as afraid of a female human...

Anyone who puts out anti freeze is a sick, sadistic bastard...

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I have 3-7 deer grazing in the area around my patch every day and never had an issue with one eating cannabis.

No fences, poisons or intentional urine applied.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I just wait for hunting season then shoot the deer and eat them.
The only time Ive had deer eat my plants was when the plants were young.
Once the plants flower it seems as though the deer dont care to nibble on them.

Anyone who puts that shit anywhere for any reason other than in their car, should have to drink it...period...they murder for no reason...should die the same way :)

And that is all I have to say about that :tiphat:

not making excuses for them, but farmers have been poisoning wildlife for a long time
the appeal of deer makes it appear even more heinous
not something i would do though

Farmers can only use non-lethal no injury type of abatement. If they do anything to harm the animals, they will get charged with numerous crimes. We are not living in 1950's anymore :)

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
i'm not sure deer would even be repelled by or attracted to antifreeze.
They are picky eaters for the most part. One taste, even if sweet would probably put them off. And their olfactory sense is amazing . Id say the mere smell would prevent them from tasting it, if they even went that far.
Go to the barber shop and get a big bag of hair then spread it around your grow. Worked well for me for a while one year.

G

What pisses me off is people that defend people who do it and say oh he is a good guy but didnt know any better. Bull shit. If he didnt know better why did he pick anti-freeze? How do you defend the indefensible?

green-genes77

Veteran
If you have to resort to poisoning the wildlife with antifreeze to pull in a good harvest, guerrilla or otherwise, you're a hack and a loser.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Ya. Ive seen the effect it can have on a dog.
A buddy of mine had a beautiful young German short hair and it got into some anti freeze .
One day we were hanging out and I noticed the dog looked skinny. He took it to the vet the next day but it was already too late. The dog died in a few days from organ failure.

Why manufacturers are not required to or simply dont opt to put a bittering agent in antifreeze is beyond me.