What's new

Ur Favorite Beer?

LeeROI

This has been treating me well:
picture.php

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
czech repubblic are the worldwide best producers and drinkers.

...cannabis it's from the same family of the luppolo....very similar smell.....joint+beer it's the perfect marriage :)....prosit&boomalek!

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
A lot of countries will disagree.

The UK is in rude health when it comes to beers.

Current favourite is

BIG JOB:

Big Job 9.0% abv

If a job’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.
Big Job is a BIG beer, 9.0% alcohol, dry as a bone and jammed full of Cornish barley and as many Citra and Centennial hops as we could get our hands on. It’s not subtle, but if you love the taste of big, powerful hops Big Job will be just the Job for you!

theclearspot

A lot of countries will disagree.

The UK is in rude health when it comes to beers.

Current favourite is

BIG JOB:

Big Job 9.0% abv

If a job’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.
Big Job is a BIG beer, 9.0% alcohol, dry as a bone and jammed full of Cornish barley and as many Citra and Centennial hops as we could get our hands on. It’s not subtle, but if you love the taste of big, powerful hops Big Job will be just the Job for you!

I know the UK scene very well but IMO Belgium and Czech beer is head and shoulders the best. But in both countries its small brewers not the large brand names. I visited a monastery in Belgiumm - prob the second best beer I ever had. But a Czech beer was the best.

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Belgium, Czech, Austria, Germany all make some great beers and I don't claim to have a great knowledge of them. But I generally find the Belgium Abbey beers too sweet. I had a great chat to guy who worked with the DUVAL head brewer for a while and essentially he remarked how much sugar they put in the bottles.

Sugar has no place in beer other than the naturally occurring ones in the whole grain used (I.e. malted barley).

This chap also brews a Pilsner in NZ called Brewski which hands down puts any Euro pilsner I've tasted to shame. A pure celebration of the royal Czech hop SAAZ.

People often have trouble comprehending beers that don't bubble like Alkaseltzer and aren't chilled to 3-5 degs Celsius. Sure they have their place but the real flavours emerge at cellar temperature...about 10/11 degs c.

As far as bubbles are concerned most draught beers that bubble just have co2 pumped in to it as it's dispensed...yuck. The best bubbles occur in bottle conditioned ales that have a small yeast sediment that has fun with remaining barley sugars.

It's funny...whenever I mention UK beers to someone used to say sweeter, colder bubbly ones I get remarks like 'UK beers are the worst' with no further reasoning. There's a real hatred towards them lol!

Open your minds...beer is a broad spectrum of flavours...just like Mary Jane!

If you have a beef with UK ale say why and give specific examples of beer too.

Hidden Bavarian gem: Flottsingerbrau

Beer is great.

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Just one of 1000's of brewery's based in the UK producing amazing beer:

The Art of Darkness

ABV: 3.5%

This is a low gravity beer with a big heart. A range of dark malts bring classic roasted flavours along with a hint of sweetness through the natural complex sugars. Warrior bittering hops are used, along with a blend of the finest aroma hops to add fruit and spicy flavours that are the perfect balance, making this a very drinkable ale.

Revelation

ABV: 5.7%

A blend of Centennial, Liberty, Cascade, and Citra aroma hops by the sack full – then dry hopped during conditioning using our ‘Hoptimizer’ (Industrial sized hookah).

Hophead

ABV: 3.8%

Buy
An extremely clean-drinking pale golden ale with a strong floral aroma and elderflower notes from the Cascade hops. This beer is full-bodied and full-flavoured yet gentle enough to make it a favourite session beer.

Partridge Best Bitter

ABV: 4%

Buy
A Best Bitter brewed in a traditional Sussex style using Maris Otter, Crystal and Chocolate malts with East Kent Golding hops. Typical of Dark Star ales, the Best Bitter relies on the heavy handed addition of aromatic hops late in the boil.

Espresso

ABV: 4.2%

Buy
A black beer brewed with roasted barley malt and challenger hops. Then freshly ground Arabica coffee beans, blended especially for Dark Star, are added to the copper for a few minutes after the boil to provide a rich and complementary coffee aroma. NOT EVERYONE’S CUP OF TEA

Festival

ABV: 5.0%

A chestnut bronze-coloured bitter with a smooth mouthfeel and freshness; a classic style strong bitter brewed as a Dark Star version of Festive, a former great Sussex beer from King & Barnes

Dark Star Original

The brewery’s eponymous former Champion Beer of Britain. A dark, strong and bitter beer that defies classification. It has a complex malt flavour with a hint of burnt flavour from the mixture of Crystal and Chocolate grist.

American Pale Ale

ABV: 4.7%

Buy
The yeast strain used for the brewing of this American style pale ale is specially imported from the USA, along with Cascade, Centennial and Chinook hops. The low colour Maris Otter malt provides a perfect light colour and dryness to complement the crisp taste and full aroma of the hops. SERIOUSLY FULL OF HOPS

Seasonal Ales

1910 Porter

ABV: 5.6%
Jan-Mar

We have dived back into the history books as inspiration for this one. Six different malts give a depth to this beer, which is hopped at five stages of the brewing process to allow the character of the noble hop varieties to shine through.

Summer Meltdown

ABV: 4.8%
Apr-Jun

Well-balanced, golden bitter with the warm flavour of Chinese stem ginger and other spices. The perfect thirst quencher for a summer’s evening.

Hylder Blonde

Jul-Sep

A delicate and lightly hopped beer with the fresh fruitiness of South Down’s elderflowers which are added after the boil to preserve their delicate aroma.

Winter Meltdown

Oct-Dec

Brewed with Chocolate and Crystal malts to produce this deep bronze- coloured beer with a subtle malty flavour. Bittered by the traditional Golding hop varieties, and then cask conditioned with stem ginger and other warming spices to add that distinctive aromatic warmth.

Sunburst

Apr-Sep

Buy
A hint of initial sweetness adds to the fruitiness and grapefruit tang of this summer ale without detracting from its clean flavour and rich hop aroma.

Monthly Specials

Hophead Galaxy

ABV: 3.8%
Jan

An single hop version of our most popular beer, using the Australian ‘Galaxy’ variety to give a distinctive clean citrus, mango and passionfruit character.

Sussex Extra Stout

ABV: 4.5%
Feb

The Black and roasted barley malts are fermented to dryness to provide perfectly balanced full malt flavours. Golding varieties of Kentish hops are used early and late in the boil to add a fresh clean bitterness.

Six Hop Ale

ABV: 6.5%
Mar

A sturdy malt backbone supports the huge weight of hops in this pale ale. Six different varieties are used during several stages of the brewing process, including a big dose of dry hops while the beer conditions after fermentation.

Carafa Jade

Apr

Far from being jade coloured, this beer celebrates the beauty of the German Carafa barley malt that gives it a warm bronze colour without making it heavy or sweet. The clear palate is ideal to enjoy the full spiciness from the versatile New Zealand, Pacific Jade hops.

Victorian Mild

ABV: 6.0%
May

Mashed with mild ale malt along with a careful blend of other speciality malts. A mix of European & US hops that are then added in the copper, give the gentle bitterness and provide our take on a less well-known Mild tradition for strength and soft complex flavours.

Summer Solstice

Jun

Brewed with 100% pale ale malt to produce a very clean taste and a bright golden colour. This beer is bursting with summer flavours from a large dose of Crystal hops & freshly ground coriander which is added at the end of the boil.

Red Shift

ABV: 5.5%
Jul

A red beer brewed with floor malted pale ale and wheat grist , then liberally hopped with the Czech Saaz, Bavarian Hallertau and a sack load of Aussie Galaxy. The beer is fermented with an Ardennes yeast strain for big a Belgian twang which will be an unusual bed-fellow for the passion fruit aroma of the Galaxy hops.

80 Shilling

ABV: 4.5%
Aug

Our tribute to the classic 80/- the traditional Scottish style full flavour beer which dates back to the times when beer was taxed depending on its alcoholic strength. Biscuity malt flavours and sharp candied orange peel bitterness.

Indian Summer IPA

ABV: 6%
Sep

This beer takes elements of the old and blends them with the new. Malts and hops from the UK form the traditional base of this beer while hops from Australia and New Zealand bring more modern flavours into the party. Passion fruit, apricot, grapefruit and even marmalade should all be present whilst the addition of the tiniest amount of rice from India makes this a truly Commonwealth IPA (we nearly called it that).

Bottles

Six Hop

330ml
Buy
Six different varieties of hops, used during six stages of the brewing process by six brewers… It’s a beast of a beer.

Belgian IPA

ABV: 7.2%
330ml
Buy
The exotic partnership between Belgian Yeast and US Hops, this is our tribute to the great Chouffe Brewery.

Green Hop

330ml
Buy
This ‘big’ IPA is created with Simcoe hops and then made even bigger by using fresh
green hops infused into the beer as it conditions.

Imperial

ABV: 10.5%
330ml
Buy
A full-bodied and rich Imperial Stout brewed with roasted barley and target hops before being matured to create a complex black beer.

Sunburst

500ml
Buy
A hint of initial sweetness adds to the fruitiness and grapefruit tang of this summer ale without detracting from its clean flavour and rich hop aroma.

Espresso

500ml
Buy
A black beer brewed with roasted barley malt and challenger hops. Then freshly ground Arabica coffee beans, blended especially for Dark Star, are added to the copper for a few minutes after the boil to provide a rich and complementary coffee aroma. NOT EVERYONE’S CUP OF TEA

theclearspot

HummusMonk....yeah dont get me wrong, I know there are some awesome British beers (which im not up to speed on tbh). I was mightily impressed with Belgium, the 'Chouffe' etc. I cant remember the names of the others. There was an awesome Christmas Beer Festival I went a few years ago in Essen,Belgium, perhaps youve been, you would love it..Beers from all round the world...
http://www.kerstbierfestival.be/ENG/index.htm

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
czech repebblic have the biggest consume for person of beer a the world...u can't drink a lot of beer if isn't good, right? :)
..uk/irish are great in dark beer....belgian in trapper/stout....german in weizen...czech in pils/lager...
the biggest of the czech beer production it's only for national consume...not exported....

C

Chamba

The alcohol content is an important factor to me when buying a beer, as it often lets me know if I'll like it very much or not....I like to drink beer like a thirsty man who has been sweating, I'm not sip a pint or a liter of beer over an hour or so kind of guy, I'll make 4 or 5 cans disappear in an hour or two (which what I do everyday, but 4 or 5 cans per day is my limit), so anything under 4.5% usually offers a less than fulfilling experience to me buzz wise as well as being too light in taste ("hey, who watered this stuff down?") and most beers over 5.8% rarely taste good to me, the taste is too strong, heavy, taste "funny" and I can feel the alcohol after a few cans due to the speed I drink at..I like to catch a nice buzz, quench a thirst and guzzle, but not be bloated or have a weird taste in my mouth.

It seems to me that most of the so called "craft" beers are for those who sip a beer every now and then...but I bet most guys who work hard, sweat and drink beer everyday finds most of those beers too heavy and prefer, like me, a good tasting, low cost beer that is best served cold, is about 5% alcohol, is light in color.and can be enjoyed at a past that quenches, I prefer many popular German or Dutch beers and occasionally a Japanese beer..... you can keep those dark and or cloudy beers that are best served warm all to yourself so you can wax lyrically about the hints of chocolate and the dominance of that particular type of hops if that what turns you on....burp to that I say, and you can burp that right back to me if you disagree and I'll cheers to that too! lol thank goodness there's a huge variety of beer readily available now so everyone has their own preferences and favorites to drink!

by the way, have you noticed that most of the "craft" beers that everyone is raving about are from countries that have had mostly horrible commerically available (or scarcely available) beer for decades and the countries that have had great tasting popular beers don't ..lol

Last edited:

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
Craft beer is a US invention.

Several hoppy beers with good citrus flavour with an abv of about 5% served slightly chilled after a hard days work is fucking heaven!

Chamba which beers do you generally have waiting for you in your fridge?

A

Alone

Ive drank alot of commercial beers like Heineken, Corona (I like w/ lemon), Guiness. My fav is Corona w/ lemon.
In the end...Im a weed guy. I never really got into drinking beer.

If you like to drink, cool! But I smoke weed instead of drink. If I mix the two, I black out. Scary things happen then. :wallbash:

I'll drink if there is a special occasion to celebrate something grand with alot of people there celebrating. I havent consumed an alcoholic beverage in like 6 or 7 years.
Last time was at a family X-mas get-together. I drank some spiked punch.

My neighbor is a big time alcoholic and downs a 12 pack of Natty Ice then changes into a different person. All mean and nasty.
I dont like talking with them at this point. It gets kinda strange.

Last edited:
C

Chamba

Chamba which beers do you generally have waiting for you in your fridge?

I like all beers, especially those that are sold on special, which is around here, mostly German lagers..I can buy 3 x 500 ml cans of decent tasting commercial German, Dutch or Danish beer for less than the equivalent of US$3.25