What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

University of Guelph paper- Flushing is a myth!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
About the white VS black ash, to me personally it looks like it all because of chlorophyll and remaining moisture content. The lesser the both, the whiter the ash.

What are all yours personal opinions and experiences?
My wet cannabis burns to a white ash, even mid-flower, so I know it is not directly a moisture thing.

Every time I over feed, the ash is darker than a nice, slightly off white ash. It gets black flecks and streaks in it.

BongFu

Scientism is a real thing...like many belief systems, it’s prone to misunderstanding and misrepresentation.

The fact is science may be prone to misunderstanding by those who misinterpret data (typically because by misinterpreting the data this plays into their own typically flawed biases as has been seen here a few times) but science, while not a perfect system, is as perfect as we can get. No one says science is the be all and end all - it's a metanarrative that involves serious research and is subject to peer review by other scientists. So while one scientist may conclude something there is an awareness that at some point this science may be undermined by other findings. What science isn't is a system of dogma as far too many here seem to apply. All science actually allows us to do is to better understand things within the paradigms of academic/scientific scrutiny.

While not perfect its a hell of a lot better than myth and anecdotal flawed beliefs which are driven by a lack of science.

BongFu

Oh and Gauss I won't give your post too much energy (yawn) but on the subject of science I guess why I have hung in on this thread to howls of disapproval and trolls is that because too often I see what I call the usual suspects on IC Mag spreading misinformation and disinformation. When someone does come along who actually knows their stuff these usual suspects drown out good information with bullshit. Eventually good people get sick and tired of the imbeciles and stop posting. It's a real shame and I guess why dumb fucks like anti vaxxers have been able to cause so much damage. Shame of it is that if good people who know their stuff stop posting ultimately you end up with a forum that circulates fake news, myths and misinformation (e.g. social media).

St. Phatty

There was a very interesting article about a different kind of flushing this morning.

About where our fluffy American toilet paper comes from.

Sounds like it's better for the environment if you wipe with a paper towel, gives the paper makers more options for where to get the wood from.

As far as flushing the plants, if you're talking hydro, I always got good results even if I fed them to "cutting day" - if I gave them enough cure time afterwards.

But when I smoke I only take one hit from a waterpipe. There's not much ash to look at.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I see what I call the usual suspects on IC Mag spreading misinformation and disinformation. When someone does come along who actually knows their stuff these usual suspects drown out good information with bullshit. Eventually good people get sick and tired of the imbeciles and stop posting. It's a real shame and I guess why dumb fucks like anti vaxxers have been able to cause so much damage. Shame of it is that if good people who know their stuff stop posting ultimately you end up with a forum that circulates fake news, myths and misinformation (e.g. social media).

I'm guessing plenty of people who have experienced plenty of evidence to the contrary would see disinformation in place of what you claim to be facts.

I'm not going to guess who sees whom as an imbecile.

We could just wait until people have harvested sparkler bud that tastes like sticking your tongue in a light socket wondering who's advice they followed.

BongFu

I'm guessing plenty of people who have experienced plenty of evidence to the contrary would see disinformation in place of what you claim to be facts.

I'm not going to guess who sees whom as an imbecile.

We could just wait until people have harvested sparkler bud that tastes like sticking your tongue in a light socket wondering who's advice they followed.

Hey Mr Mustard thanks for the deep insights - however, let's come back to the University of Guelph study (the subject of this thread); the researchers found that after running water only for two weeks the inorganic nutrients in the tissue were about the same as control (an unflushed crop). However, they also found that running water only had no impact on yield when compared to control. Conclusion, it is wise to run water only for the last two weeks to save on inputs. So, win win. Do you flush? No I save money on inputs for 2 weeks:) Do you flush? Yes for 2 weeks:) Win Win wouldn't you say... ?

Tony21

Hey Mr Mustard thanks for the deep insights - however, let's come back to the University of Guelph study (the subject of this thread); the researchers found that after running water only for two weeks the inorganic nutrients in the tissue were about the same as control (an unflushed crop). However, they also found that running water only had no impact on yield when compared to control. Conclusion, it is wise to run water only for the last two weeks to save on inputs. So, win win. Do you flush? No I save money on inputs for 2 weeks:) Do you flush? Yes for 2 weeks:) Win Win wouldn't you say... ?

Cool way to cut a long story short, indeed win-win :tiphat:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
No it doesn’t. Besides this fulvic acid or at least its low molecular weight compounds acts a chelator which acts to make some nutrients more and not less available.
Nutrients which is used for secondary metabolities.Like what Ed Rosenthal wrote in the article above that the range of uptake lays between a pH 5.8-6.0.
Blackstrap molasses has a pH between 4-6.Many people who used blackstrap molasses noticed that bm lowers the pH myself include.Leaves turn yellow goes fast.
The root of a sugarcane plant can reach 15 feet, so that's the reason you find minerals and fulvic acid in the bm.

clearheaded

dynamic accummulator..... so over fert and heavy metals are stored... that being said if plants arent over fed shouldnt be an issue. what major harshness comes from is SUGAR sugar is harsh as f! using up sugar is in a sense pre curing (curing decreasing sugars).

it could be a metallic taste from the chelators... which of course are not tested for....

i start to give plants plain water 2-3 weeks before cut and soil ppm test is 300 in the end,smoke dosent has hars,i think plants didint have to come tress and they not uptake all left over nutes to flower and stop drinking.now they have to drink more water to get the right amount of nutrients.thats my flush
is there masspectometer study what in flower after good flus and no flus when using salt basic nutes,

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
i start to give plants plain water 2-3 weeks before cut and soil ppm test is 300 in the end
Now you have me curious about the effects of the same ppm in soil vs. hydro. As I've previously stated, my res is about 300ppm after leaching out the available nutrients in the plant. (osmosis) So, does soil have to be a lower ppm, or can it be higher and still smoke smooth like my hydro flush? Of course, not all elements are equal. :)

is there masspectometer study what in flower after good flus and no flus when using salt basic nutes,
I've had this thought before as well, but for basic flower quality testing. Cannabis loads up excess for after harvest flower parties, so how do you test for this excess? What process will separate "cannabis" from everything else, and then identify and measure the "everything else?"

what major harshness comes from is SUGAR sugar is harsh as f! using up sugar is in a sense pre curing (curing decreasing sugars).
This right here is why I always recommend against sugars the last few weeks of flower. The "night cycle" of cannabis sends sugars down to the root system. This is probably part of the reason some find better results with 24hrs of dark before harvest.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
If I gave my plants 24 hours of darkness, I wouldn't know what time to harvest them.

CaptainDankness

Now we just need to get some paperwork on how cannabis specific nutrients are a scam. It's pretty clear anyways you can see the list of ingredients, all the same shit as Miracle Grow. Lol

i grow soil but keep it only as platform where plants grow,only organics is roots what stays after raw clean.my skill level and patience not inaf organics,some days mayby
i dont no where or how hig my ppm is after 8-10 wk,nutrient allmoust by the manufactor says 85%,i re using my soil only take off stalks,rest i mix old soil,thats mix ppm is after month rest 300,i give water or nutrients 10% pots sides no more.mayby i can push even bigger different flushing,white green color in leafs and color in hairs/trikom,in hydro is different game
i hope there was lab where i can go testing residude.

I've had this thought before as well, but for basic flower quality testing. Cannabis loads up excess for after harvest flower parties, so how do you test for this excess? What process will separate "cannabis" from everything else, and then identify and measure the "everything else?"

if grow klone au naturel,right naturesoil watering only rainwater take that for benchmark,before cut and after two weeks cure?only potheads thoughts

Last edited: