What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Understanding the Art of LST - Before You Look at Any Pics, Read This First

Quazi

Any info/concerns on led(the heavy metal) treatment that some plastics receive on shielded copper wire? Or plastic contaminants from wire leacheing into buds/plants? forgive if this has been addressed...still trying to get through the multitudes of pages of good info here, used search nothing came up...
I did a bit of research into this when I decided to start using the shielded wiring. I wasn't able to come up with anything that would make me want to stop. I still use copper wiring and haven't noticed any adverse affects to the plants or myself.

-Q :rasta:

bbing

I have used the tie down methods of LST in the past. As we all know stress is a major contributor of hermies. Although in theory LST should be less likely to create hermies I have found (in the strains that I grow) that chopping and scrogging produces almost no hermies at all. I always seal the ends of my cuts with (of all things) rooting gel.
here is a pic of 2 plants I have scrogged.

Don't missunderstand, I am not knocking LST at all....I think it's an awesome art. I grow hydro and for quantity and quality I find scrogging works best for me......these 2 plants will yeild close to 2000gr of delicious nuggs
Peace and love to all

Wow, 4" sweater box (dwc?) + 10g Aquarium pump + 2 plants = 5 lbs ?

WE HAVE A NEW WORLD RECORD HOLDER FOLKS

C

CannaCompulsory

led on wires

led on wires

I did a bit of research into this when I decided to start using the shielded wiring. I wasn't able to come up with anything that would make me want to stop. I still use copper wiring and haven't noticed any adverse affects to the plants or myself.

-Q :rasta:
I found it hard because led lights always come up. I guess We are safe as long as we dont chew on the wires :) Also clear wire appears not to have the treatment...

"..During a July 1992 follow-up clinic visit, he mentioned that for approximately 20 years he had habitually chewed on the plastic insulation that he stripped off the ends of electrical wires. Samples of the copper wire with white, blue, and yellow plastic insulation were obtained and analyzed for lead content. The clear plastic outer coating (present on all colors of wire) and the copper wire contained no lead; however, the colored coatings contained 10,000-39,000 ug of lead per gram of coating. *** On receipt of these results, he was instructed immediately to discontinue chewing the wire coating.

Lead compounds may be employed in the production of colored plastics (in which lead chromates are used as pigment) and in the manufacture of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastics (in which 2%-5% lead salts {including lead oxides, phthalate, sulfate, or carbonate, depending on the desired quality of the final product} are used as stabilizers). Although environmental regulation has reduced considerably the amount of lead used in the United States in the manufacture of PVC plastics, manufacturers of electrical wire and cable continue to produce PVC stabilized and/or pigmented with lead compounds (6)..."

from: [FONT=&quot]http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/00020984.htm[/FONT]

Kniven

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for this thread! I'm on my first grow, and I started LST after reading this. Looking very good so far.

Thanks bbing

Thanks bbing

Wow, 4" sweater box (dwc?) + 10g Aquarium pump + 2 plants = 5 lbs ?

WE HAVE A NEW WORLD RECORD HOLDER FOLKS

for your scholarly opinions. I am sure you won't mind if I respond to a couple of points you made.
First, 2,000 grams ( or 5 pounds by your calulaction) in a roughly 2.5 square meter scrog wouldnt get half way to the record. Oh!, by the way, that little backwoods school house must have not taught me math very well.... I keep coming up with...
2,000g = 4.4 lbs.

Yep that is a 4" sweater box you eagle eyed rascal. but even it it were built like a dwc type system (which it isn't) it would just have to be termed a SWC ....wouldn't it?
I think there are a few growers who can look at my system and figure it out. I think (even if i explained the science behind it to you) that you would dismiss it without hesitation citing it was too simple and unsophicated to possibly work.
It all kinda makes me wonder what kind of production you get from your grow.
You seem to think that 2,000 grams in a 2.5 sq meter scrog is some near impossible feat. In actuality the sativa strain I am growing in the photo is not known as a good yeilder of high quantity. (however the quality is sooooooo worth the sacrifice you give up in weight).
My little ol' granny once gave me some advise that I feel might be of service if I share it with you...she said," If you can learn to keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears wide open....you might just learn something."

Klamath

Heya nice tread. i wanna ask : do u recomend use LST on short rider (its the one with ruderalis genes. it should be ready to harvest after 8 weeks from germination. )If u think its good idea to LST this plant, tell me pls what will be the best age to start"??im bit confused in this way.

slmndl

Does LST apply to outdoor grows?

Does LST apply to outdoor grows?

Because of the movement of the sun/light on outdoor grows
is it necessary or effective to perform LST on outdoor plants?

So, it's been a while since I showed off my LST technique. Whaddy'all think of my Alaskan Ice (Lemon Haze x White Widow)?

picture.php

picture.php

These are the infamous haze pheno that normally stretches to the heavens. -not on my shift they don't!

picture.php

Mmmm... bushy sativas that don't outgrow the space. Yummmm...

picture.php

How's that for an even canopy?

doglover711

LST Girl Scout Cookies

LST Girl Scout Cookies

A week into flower with hot organic soil in a 100 gallon smart pot. Any idea on what this will produce? Looks huge.

doglover711

I have used the tie down methods of LST in the past. As we all know stress is a major contributor of hermies. Although in theory LST should be less likely to create hermies I have found (in the strains that I grow) that chopping and scrogging produces almost no hermies at all. I always seal the ends of my cuts with (of all things) rooting gel.
here is a pic of 2 plants I have scrogged.

Don't missunderstand, I am not knocking LST at all....I think it's an awesome art. I grow hydro and for quantity and quality I find scrogging works best for me......these 2 plants will yeild close to 2000gr of delicious nuggs
Peace and love to all
Nice Scrog sir, how long did you veg those bad ass girls?

cureious

I read the original thread, and decided to try topping and LST because the plant was a true sativa and wanted to veg to 5 feet in my 4x4 closet. What a great experiment, result, and smoke!

H

Huckster79

Anyone still following?

I have an lst conundrum faithful user, helps me a lot but I got a girl that didn't like bending. Bent her over and one of the larger ones snapped overnight, I got her taped up but had to use a stick as a brace, but now what?

Now others will be flat and this one wY high? Shudder I just chop that branch and cut it as a loss? Or may I be able to bend her back over Later?

Not sure there were 4 large vehicle branches, hate to loose a whole one but idk w her on if I can keep a nice crew cut flower room...