What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Understanding the Art of LST - Before You Look at Any Pics, Read This First

Frozenguy

Veteran
I started to LST a purple kush I have vegged from clone.. Its in a 6in pot (3/4 gallon) and I tied the main stem and branches down to the sides of the pot but I'm planning on repotting it into a 12ish in. 3 gallon pot. Can I just untie the ties when I'm transplanting or will it screw everything up?

Frozenguy

Veteran
You can untie and retie as much as you'd like. So long as you don't damage the plant, it's all good. Just get the canopy at a consistent height and there'll be no worries.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that.. I'm so excited to see how she responds in the next few weeks.

Katatawnic

They love the BDSM, little masochists!

They love the BDSM, little masochists!

I absolutely love LST! :woohoo:

Day one, before:

20090721-Bia-top.jpg

20090721-Bia-side.jpg

And, after:

20090721-Bia-top-LST.jpg

20090721-Bia-side-LST.jpg

A couple weeks later:

20090808-B.jpg

But they do look so sad right after tying branches & tucking leaves....

20090810-B.jpg

Can't wait to see the results from the latest BDSM session! :jump:

Katatawnic

Forgot to add that my plants are 7.5 weeks from seed.

Also, this is what happens when you tie branches just a bit too tight.... splinted it (gently!) with a paper clip; looks like it's going to heal.

20090810-B-PaperclipSplint.jpg

C

CannabisSativa

20090721-Bia-side-LST.jpg

A couple weeks later:

But they do look so sad right after tying branches & tucking leaves....

20090810-B.jpg

Can't wait to see the results from the latest BDSM session! :jump:

Quick question: In the first pic I can see the stem in the middle of the pot, but how do you have it in the second one? I know its the same plant, but it looks like the stem comes from the back of the pot and not the middle...did you train it this way, and if so how? Maybe im just a bit :joint:...and awesome pictures! Do you have another angle for the second pic? THanks

Katatawnic

Quick question: In the first pic I can see the stem in the middle of the pot, but how do you have it in the second one? I know its the same plant, but it looks like the stem comes from the back of the pot and not the middle...did you train it this way, and if so how? Maybe im just a bit :joint:...and awesome pictures! Do you have another angle for the second pic? THanks

Thanks, CS! :)

The trunk is still in the center of the pot. The (previously) lowest branch was trained to grow toward the back, and now I can see that it's created an optical illusion in this photo without taking a closer look.

I wasn't thinking about LST when I transplanted them. (lol) I thought about moving the plants a week or so after the first tie so that the trunks would be at the side, but they'd already been through stress a bit over a week before and I decided it was best to let the roots be. So I've just been compensating for the positioning, winging it; there's certainly no "one" way to LST! My seedlings will most likely be planted toward the sides of their pots; depends on whether or not I decide to top them first, but so far I'm really liking what the LST does without topping.

Sorry, I don't have another angle. I most often take photos from pretty much the same angle, to more easily guage progress. I really should shoot for variation a bit more often. lol

Whoisthis

Quick question does any body have any thoughts or info in regards to LST vs scrog? Both effectively does the same thing. My perspective is that you have more control with lst than with scrog. With scrogs you are bound by the height of the container to the screen. While lst gives you freedom to do whatever you want and essentially end with the same result. Also with lst you are not trimming away leafs or stems during the entire process while with scrog it is almost always recommended to trim away plant matter below the screen. Which equals to wasted energy in the long run = longer veg to produce the same amount of budsites?

Katatawnic said:
Also, this is what happens when you tie branches just a bit too tight.... splinted it (gently!) with a paper clip; looks like it's going to heal.

Not only is it going to heal, but bud sites between the stem and the injury are going to sprout up all over. Do this strategically and you can even make a lanky sativa grow into a thick hedge. Treat with growth hormones and keep the night time temperatures within 10degF of day time and you'll get tight internode spacing, too. You should see all my "indicas" with super-skinny leaves. :joint:

bbing

I want you guys to run side-by-sides. Not as a call out but more in the fun spirit of oh yeah......? Show me what you got. So with that in mind:

One thing that isn,t discussed alot are the neg consequences of improper admin of LST (either technique or STRAIN related issues).

An injury to a plant that shifts metabolic energy to healing and off vegging or fruiting can shift what I have called "momentum" of the plant. Many strains are uneffected and in some, added vigor can be observed.

And yeah Vegan I see your immature flowers..and then a stick? you calling that documentation of a finish? LOL..just funnin im sure you got some nice smoke from her.

Some of the examples posted here im sure I could bump yield by less agressive and flow stopping stress techniques. Bushes are best at spreading the flowering energy across the greatest range of plant metabolism. I find that there is a diminishing return effect and that while I shift energy to more uniformrly light exposed colas; my yeild weights are only slightly one way (or the other!).

In all seriousness, growing for dispenseries and clubs has shifted interested off of commercial baseball bats and more about what nice little dense OG like buds fit into their little bottles.......LST to the rescue!

Allright you SadoMasochists, get to it!

C

CannabisSativa

Update:

They are about 1 week into 12/12. All of them are Jack Herer except for the Power Kush which is on the top in the middle.

29wl4z4.jpg

LST vs chopping and scrogging

LST vs chopping and scrogging

I want you guys to run side-by-sides. Not as a call out but more in the fun spirit of oh yeah......? Show me what you got. So with that in mind:

One thing that isn,t discussed alot are the neg consequences of improper admin of LST (either technique or STRAIN related issues).

An injury to a plant that shifts metabolic energy to healing and off vegging or fruiting can shift what I have called "momentum" of the plant. Many strains are uneffected and in some, added vigor can be observed!

I have used the tie down methods of LST in the past. As we all know stress is a major contributor of hermies. Although in theory LST should be less likely to create hermies I have found (in the strains that I grow) that chopping and scrogging produces almost no hermies at all. I always seal the ends of my cuts with (of all things) rooting gel.
here is a pic of 2 plants I have scrogged.

Don't missunderstand, I am not knocking LST at all....I think it's an awesome art. I grow hydro and for quantity and quality I find scrogging works best for me......these 2 plants will yeild close to 2000gr of delicious nuggs
Peace and love to all

Attachments

• scrog.jpg
    scrog.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 31

NotaProfessor

Instead of tying down the plant, I use pieces of insulated wire duct-taped onto small pill bottles, like a grower's Xmas ornament. I put in various amounts of lead shot (sand or small rocks would do too) to vary the weight. Then I just hang that near the top of the plant...Think Charlie Brown's wimpy Christmas tree all bent over. I use the weight to pull it over until the stem's horizontal. From there all the side shoots grow as colas. I use additional 'ornaments' to pull shoots into the light/train the plant to spread out.

To me, this is easier to adjust than tying down the plant. I can remove it, adjust its location, add or reduce the amount of shot in the container as I please. [I use coco in bags, so attaching wire to a pot rim is not an available option for me.]

Budweaver

Instead of tying down the plant, I use pieces of insulated wire duct-taped onto small pill bottles, like a grower's Xmas ornament. I put in various amounts of lead shot (sand or small rocks would do too) to vary the weight. Then I just hang that near the top of the plant...Think Charlie Brown's wimpy Christmas tree all bent over. I use the weight to pull it over until the stem's horizontal. From there all the side shoots grow as colas. I use additional 'ornaments' to pull shoots into the light/train the plant to spread out.

To me, this is easier to adjust than tying down the plant. I can remove it, adjust its location, add or reduce the amount of shot in the container as I please. [I use coco in bags, so attaching wire to a pot rim is not an available option for me.]

Try this with metal washers and unbent paperclips or an ornament hook.

@ beachbum420. I would believe wholeheartedly in scrog too if I could get results that like that. I've never tried and would love to. Any suggestions on where to go to learn scrogging techniques to achieve results like that? I'm willing to read, read, and read.

-t4k

C

CannaCompulsory

paranoia about contaminents

paranoia about contaminents

Just an additional note: using shielded copper wiring instead of string is not only easier as there are no knots to tie, but it is very reusable because there are no knots to untie...

-Q :rasta:

Any info/concerns on led(the heavy metal) treatment that some plastics receive on shielded copper wire? Or plastic contaminants from wire leacheing into buds/plants?
forgive if this has been addressed...still trying to get through the multitudes of pages of good info here, used search nothing came up...

Latest posts

Latest posts