What's new

Uncle Bens topping method SUPRISED!!

this didn't take a detour.

It sure did didn't it?

at the end of the day there is a method called Uncle Ben's topping method. It's just another technique. Some top right away he encourages people to wait till there is 5-6 nodes.

I've enjoyed the art of uncle ben's topping method if you will.

There are many other people out there who manipulate the auxins in different ways. It's amazing to be privileged to this info because I would of never cut the main branch EVER had I not read ANY info on what most forums classify "advanced techniques"

What you do with your plants is great, they look awesome, and I bet you enjoy manipulating the auxins to your likings.

Papaduc has a really good point, just top early, why wait? he is also familiar with main-lining or as he says, chopsticks, I'll admit I'm a little jealous. I want to build a manifold !!

To sum it up "Uncle Bens Topping Method" is just a topping method, I love it. If someone asked me what I recommended to redistribute the apical dominance I would advise them to "experiment" and "learn". Do what worked for them. I'm no pro, just thought I would contribute on a post on something I am familiar with. If you check out my journal I am using ub's method - might of been before this thread got bumped? Just thought I would contribute my understanding on it since I'm not uncle ben, figured it could help someone understand it from a different perspective.

Like I said, you can't do this with auto's, which seem to be a big hit lately. They are not my cup of tea however :)

Thanks for posting pics and contributing, take care stihg.

papaduc

Veteran
It sure did didn't it?

at the end of the day there is a method called Uncle Ben's topping method. It's just another technique. Some top right away he encourages people to wait till there is 5-6 nodes.

I've enjoyed the art of uncle ben's topping method if you will.

There are many other people out there who manipulate the auxins in different ways. It's amazing to be privileged to this info because I would of never cut the main branch EVER had I not read ANY info on what most forums classify "advanced techniques"

What you do with your plants is great, they look awesome, and I bet you enjoy manipulating the auxins to your likings.

Papaduc has a really good point, just top early, why wait? he is also familiar with main-lining or as he says, chopsticks, I'll admit I'm a little jealous. I want to build a manifold !!

To sum it up "Uncle Bens Topping Method" is just a topping method, I love it. If someone asked me what I recommended to redistribute the apical dominance I would advise them to "experiment" and "learn". Do what worked for them. I'm no pro, just thought I would contribute on a post on something I am familiar with. If you check out my journal I am using ub's method - might of been before this thread got bumped? Just thought I would contribute my understanding on it since I'm not uncle ben, figured it could help someone understand it from a different perspective.

Like I said, you can't do this with auto's, which seem to be a big hit lately. They are not my cup of tea however :)

Thanks for posting pics and contributing, take care stihg.

I come here to talk about plants, not politics or religion or people... just ganja plants...

It's actually an interesting subject to debate is plant training and maximising production and yield. But people have to jump in with that stupid personal immature bullshit and ruin things. Credit to you for ignoring it.

I don't agree with the notion that threads are derailed by argument or debate, as long as the subject is specific to growing. The back and forth in that instance benefits everyone who's reading it for some tips or opinions, new methods they can try.

What uncle ben has showed and showed well is that if you top a plant at the second node you get 4 equal branches. What the other fella showed in detail in the other training guide was how to create a lovely canopy of full buds.

Whoever puts their time into doing that gets my respect because it gives people a visual idea of exactly what to do and when, and that is a very important learning tool, rather than someone talking a lot about nothing.

We'll always disagree on the fine points and as long as you're willing to post pictures and guides to show your own methods and compare them honestly to other growers to help people reading know that what you say is valid, that's all that matters.

There's nothing more misleading than someone talking shit about feeding, ppms, training, gpw ratios.... who suddenly loses their camera or gets defensive when asked to show photos...

Growing takes time and it's not legal for most of us. If you're willing to sit on the internet, telling people what they should be doing with their time, then the least you should be willing to do is SHOW them. Otherwise keep your claims of your fantastic plant training and superior knowledge of feeding or high yield techniques to yourself until you find a camera and the inclination to actually show people the results of your methods.

Anyone worth their salt will show you. They won't just talk, they'll show you. Anyone who doesn't, move on and find someone who will.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
:shark::snap out of it:Lol many options for clones as all new under growrth is fighting to be a top. Not max. 4. If your smart youll clean up the bottoms a touch before flowering so good air circulation can get through....and vuala many many many clone sites to choose from . I assume i should also add your top wont be best for rooting as lowers have a quicker turn around time

The reason why I dont quote things is becuse im not still trying to prove to people I know what im talking about. They know I know what im talking about. Im by no means the master..but ive played with them a lot and thats the best way to learn.
P.s. why arent you getting mad at everyone else who disagrees with you

1st get his nuts out of your hands and I bet you could type instead of copy and paste.
2ndly u come on this site begging for help practically and now some of the same people that helped your pathetic excuse for a grow out ..you call them trolls....when you sir are the copy, paste troll of nottenham. Your a real class act. Now go xerox something.

i've cleaned up the worst of your trolling, be warned you will not last long here with this aggressive attitude, if you can not discuss the thread topic in a civilized way you'd best find a thread which doesn't piss you off to post in, all you are doing here is causing a bad vibe.

what ever valid points you have made, have just gotten lost in the insults you're throwing around, on and on, even though no one is actually responding, let alone the one you are tolling.

Like the thread (other than the namecalling and such). thanks to everyone for posting. I would still consider myself a bit of a noob... still trying to figure out the best methods for my current situation. I have worked with a few different training methods now but recently, before finding this post, gave a method very similar to this a try. Gotta say its working the best for my current situation of all the methods that ive tried.

I'm in a very small micro (pc) grow. My first try was a flop cause I had no clue what I was doing. I kept learning and moved on to a 1 plant lst and that worked quite well but I wanted to have a little more strain variation so I moved on to 2 plant lst. That was ok but things got a little too crowded. Which leads me to the present.

Three plants in small containers; 2 of which i used lots of topping to make bonsai bushes (which is leading to a bunch of tiny nugs and a lot of messy branches...and prolly mold lol) and one that was pretty similar to this 4 branch method. Differences being I topped between the 3rd and 4th node after the 5th appeared, then I waited. Once the auxins kicked into the lower branches i removed the smaller branch of the 1st node and ran the other 1st node branch up the mainstem. I did all of this as I flipped 12/12 and along with pinching/bending down stems thru the stretch in order to keep things small. Now I'm 18 days deep of 12/12 and have 5 nice colas forming buds to the base. Stretch is slowed/stopped so now its all about filling in. They get great light/air penetration after a VERY minor (like 5 leaves) defoliation . This method is working out wonderfully for me because ill ultimately be able to be a little bit perpetual and be able to try different strains....plus I get the clone from the lower branch I remove just in case I wanna preserve the strain.

Sure wish I would have found a thread like this a long time ago. But I guess half the fun of this hobby is learning what doesn't work for your situation and what does.... thanks again everyone

RonSmooth

Veteran
People have been training plants for centuries.

Understand what is happening and you don't need anyone's method. You can use the technique to suit your application.

When you disrupt the normal biological proccesses by damaging or otherwise manipulating the main stem or branches, you are simply redirecting the growth.

Topping, bending, pinching, supercropping... they all produce the same response from the plant.

I believe auxins are responsible for plant growth structure. Although I recall reading an article recently in which the researchers found sugars played a more important role than previously thought. I'll try to find it. In the meantime, here is the wikipedia entry on "auxin"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxin

I think it's each to there own would love uncle Ben to swing by his work is great!.. But as it goes I'm slowly changing the method to suit the way I want the plant to look will update soonish with pics thanks for every1s input positive or negative it's all good at the end of the day where all trying to get the best results and helping each other cut all the bull out along the way

farmerinc

@BCNeil can you give me an average weight you get for the 4 colas using UB method. I agree with your method of the 2nd and 3rd node. I know this is an old thread but hope this reaches you. Thanks for your help.

farmerinc

Question

Question

One of the main reasons I use the UB method, is it is so consistent. Especially from seed.
I do it slightly different and cut above the third node, but also completely remove the growth from the first node. I find using the 2nd and 3rd nodes, gives me 4 stronger colas compared to the 1st and 2nd.

But yeah you usually end up with all 4 colas all pretty close in size, usually all within a couple inches of each other. You also don't get much popcorn or undergrowth. As you just have 4 colas from the bottom of the plant.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@BCNeil can you give me an average weight you get for the 4 colas using UB method. I agree with your method of the 2nd and 3rd node. I know this is an old thread but hope this reaches you. Thanks for your help. [/FONT]

L

LoungeLizard

Papaducs post on page three what kind is that those leafs are like maple leafs