What's new

Uncle Bens topping method SUPRISED!!

Weeded1s

Yup exactly what im saying..just like cervantes telling people to wait for your stem to fully snap be4 you start to cure. Old school and outdated.

Weeded1s

I switched to try a diff nute and actually a bunch of people had the same prob. So maybe u should learn what your talking about before youopen your mouth.

Weeded1s

I should do what u do and post someone elses quotes. But im my own person and intelligent enough to think for myself. Ohh and nice thread u got lol. I rock 14 diff strains. Now do like a hermie on your plant and open up to new techniques.

drop it weed1s.

I quoted the techniques from the TITLE of the thread - relevant.

Let's not pollute the forums any further. Thanks bro - take care - hope you get to feeling better man.

medicalmj

Veteran
So I thought I knew thing or two about pruning techniques back when you got an A+ cut and that's all you grew. But then I got all these different strains, and holy fuck did I realize what I didn't know.

I will say this, I now have some strains that do better with super cropping (sativa--hybrids) and others that if do best with nothing or maybe one cut early on (indica--hybrids). But even this may not be the whole story since this plant cannot currently be studied properly.

So I say, don't be to overconfident in your techniques just yet...but keep on experimenting and share your experiences, good and bad.

What are the advantages of this method

You get a nice level canopy Mind you these are all diff strains

can create a sea of bush

You can top for two mains or four mains - op got 10 0z's off of four mains with this method

I am experimenting with 6 mains and 8 mains

You don't "waste" any growth if you wait till 5-6 nodes are established, you make clones! You can make 1 to 4 easily.

When 5-6 nodes are established the bottom fan leaves are well developed and the roots are as well so their it's up on it's feet the next morning. ( I top before lights off)

If you grow a few it creates a beautiful even canopy, nice middle with great light penetration, fat buds all around.

Here is a picture of explaining plant hormones - you can manipulate however you would like. I prefer 4 main colas

Last edited:
see attachment for plant hormones

Here is a clone that was a top

here is a strawberry sour diesel that was topped / cloned / and what it looked like 10 days later~

UB's method to topping is safe, noob friendly, easy on the plant, and you can create a awesome maintenance free see of bush.

Have fun with what techniques you prefer to use!!

:dance013::tiphat:

Last edited:
who cares if it doesnt get stunted if you waste a month or two getting to i nodes in the first place lol. im suprrised too

3-4 weeks max for me to get 5-6 nodes.

top - veg for another week. now you're at 4-5 weeks at flip. I've never vegged longer then 5 weeks other then experiments or reg seeds to see sex.

8-10 weeks harvest and you get to keep the lineage going from the clone.

I always wanted to "mainline" a plant. Those trunks look freaking amazing!!

main-lined-clone-hub-manifold.jpg

main-lining-example-marijuana.jpg

I just could never veg for months(like they do ^). I like to quick snip, throw it into bloom.Just 5 weeks of veg and end up with 4 huge colas by chop.

A lot of cool training techniques, everyone like's their own. Mine is UB's method. :tiphat:

There are loads of techniques for training.. Natural growth on a plant is ok if u want a dominant bud if u want 50 dominant same size buds then training for a level canopy is key.. My first uncles Ben style plant hit 10z from a hand fed coco 15ltr pot .. I work in a hydro shop I no what a lot of people do with there and not being funny but they ain pullin 10s mate so u can't deny it that the ub method and topping at xertain nodes isn't good I get plants 3-4 food square ... People aSk how many in there ... I say 1 and they don't believe me haha buffoon

papaduc

Veteran
I wonder what uncleben himself thinks about waiting to 5-6 nodes before topping back to the second. Maybe he's changed his mind on it.

You are wasting some time and growth by waiting for the plant to get that much bigger only to top it back down again, there's no denying that. Maybe only a week or so, but still.. if you're happy with that, fair enough, but it is wasted time imo because it's for no benefit as far as I can see.

For me, to do the process in that way suggests the person doing the topping is worried about the plant being too fragile at that young age to respond well. It's not, I can say that from experience. I never wait for the plant to get bigger before I top it.

Next time, top one plant at the second node as soon as the shoot emerges, and leave the other one til it's 6th node and see what happens. Small side shoots from any branch can be used to make a clone. No need to wait for the main branch to grow to use that.

The best way to top a young plant is to fold the new emerging shoot over on itself so it pops like a little sugar snap. That way you don't damage the side shoots at all like you could with scissors or a razor.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
yeah srsly. i can understand uncleben...(funny thats not the name i remember being associated with this method of topping back to the second node and making 4 branches originally) wanting to make a name for himself. but what he's doing while neater is actually more time consuming than simply training a plant to grow sideways.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

if you pull the top down it causes the branches to take over as the tops. if you start early you can have a plant that lays sideways and all the side branches grow up and you didn't have to veg it out for 4 weeks, top and then veg 8 more weeks before flowering.

some of you know, some of you don't but you're essentially just doing a modified LST...or rather some HST.

medicalmj

Veteran
My question is, for strains that respond well to topping, why not, if possible w/o snapping, just bend over, when the plant is young and with about 4-6 nodes, such that it is done WITHOUT folding/crushing/supercropping the stem so it faced directly down and obviously very close to stem that was once below it? Wouldn't you just get one more top in less time?

On a different note, since the following experience is more than just getting one more top in less time:

Over twenty years ago I decided to take a twist tie off a bread bag and bend the young top over (plant 6 inches tall w about 5 nodes) without folding/crushing/supercropping the stem so it faced directly down and obviously very close to stem that was once below it, instead of topping it. For this particular strain it changed my whole style as it responded in such a way that I started weaving her in all directions.
It seemed as long as I stopped weaving by 12/12 and had a "table top" canopy, even the smallest nodes that were exposed grew huge colas. This would not be the case with most of the strains I acquired over the past couple years.

I hit up uncle ben and this was his respone to some of the post here.

" This guy isn't getting the entire jist of plant processes and tissue development but good advice - experiment. By letting the plant grow to 5-6 nodes you insure more root mass just like potentially you'll get more bud yields with increased root and foliar mass. With more root mass, more "energy" (I hate that term :) ) will be directed to the foliage that is left so it will grow faster. Ever worked with trees? I have, thousands of them. Let the tree go "trashy", lot's of foliage, root mass is set, remove all whorls from the ground up to eye level and watch the the top 2' take off like a rocket come spring.
It's a judgment call though. I can top above 3 nodes and get what I want faster than most that wait until 6-8 nodes. It depends on how experienced of a gardener you are.

Interesting thread, thanks for the link. Feel free to take my response back. BTW, tried to subscribe to IC Mag a while back and as usual some one stole my handle.

Also, if anyone has an inside track to a mod or potroast I'll be glad to post the original photos as long as they'll stick them in Post #1 where they belong.

Tio "

Good luck guys.

Latest posts

Latest posts