What's new

UK Outdoor Growing 2010

rocket high

Veteran
Yeah i'd like to know how to keep chavs away from my grow too.

put your grow in the middle of a marsh :tiphat:chav's dont like to get their trainer's dirty/wet... i use hidden barbed wire i might catch one ,one day lol

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
PML!

PML!

put your grow in the middle of a marsh :tiphat:chav's dont like to get their trainer's dirty/wet... i use hidden barbed wire i might catch one ,one day lol

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Thx god chavs are not under the RSPC wing:dance013:

rocket high

Veteran
hi paulo
i'd like to see anybody try to get to my fort (pen) it's like getting over the beaches at dunkirk lol

no human right's on my watch ;)

C

Ch@ppers

Finally Re-Joined The Party!

Finally Re-Joined The Party!

Howdy Fellas...better late than never eh? (I think I said that last season) :wave:

I've got a bit of reading and PM'ing to do but figured I'd drop in here first as it's my home from home.

Good to see the familiar names as well as plenty of new guys.

As usual, I'll get round to posting some pics of the current grow when I can get my ass into gear (this all sounds soooo familiar) I've got some really exciting stuff to show you all!

As some of you guys know, I moved abroad a few months ago but you might not know that I moved back recently...long story that I won't bore you with but needless to say, I ran into some issues (with the law mainly)

I do miss the area I moved to, but it's also good to be back. I planted beans the very first day I returned and I reckon they're worth taking photos of now.

So yeah, good to be back, good to see you all and I look forward to catching up with all of you. :tiphat:

Ch@ppers

harold

ive said it early in this thread but to those who haven't caught onto underground watering, i feel your missing out, somebody mentioned watering reduced by 300%!

i used to lug a big 19litre water bottle (drink dispenser things) around, which was unstealthly, very heavy and hard on the back! now i put my 10 litre bottle in my bag, which fits much more comfortable, you can carry so much more weight from your mid-section than in one hand, i water and the plants look happy for much longer when everthing else looks miserable. Some soils you get run-off so alot of waters wasted and then you get evapouration so a huge amount gets vaporized by the sun... i can main line the water straight to the root zone, the soil structure is kept much more open when your watering from below, using the natural wicking action rather than pouring a heavy slosh from above.... and a little mulch is great to!

C

Ch@ppers

harold, I'm a fan of watering from the bottom and if I grew guerilla style, I'd try and find a way of getting the water down deep instead of pouring it on top.

Watering from the top IS more wasteful BUT it also encourages more surface roots...bad in times of drought but good in times of plenty. As you say, a little mulch is great! It encourages surface roots and locks the moisture in.

Damn I've missed this place...I love intelligent sharing of information.

harold

thats true! most of the micro flora are in the top 2 inches, so ive been thinking maybe have a horizontal bar thats no deeper than 6inches so the top soil gets some moisture. Clones dont have a tap root like plants started from seed, so watering too deep might be wasteful, unless you have a nice wicking medium. I did notice a good growth spurt when i watered from the top recently, especially true if the plants are small and haven't reached the moisture from the pipe. A good foliar feed first helps moisten the medium so watering afterwards penetrates better. :)

stj2006

UK Outdoor Force Flowering

UK Outdoor Force Flowering

Hey peeps I was just wondering at what point should I be looking to induce force flowering in the UK.

It's 3 White Rhino in pots in a easy access area.
I would like to give it maybe a 2-3weeks headstart. I was thinking around the end of this month (July). Any thoughts on this please folks. Much appreaciated.

I'm sorry If it's already been covered in this thread but it's epic. Cheers

C

Ch@ppers

Normally you won't see proper flowering (buds forming) in the UK until mid to late August...looking back at my old pics, flowering was truly noticeable August 22nd.

So yeah, start force flowering round the end of July or the beginning of August and stop about the 3rd week in August and hopefully they should continue nicely.

A technique that is extremely effective but not widely used.

Ch@ppers

thepureskunk

Hey Ch@ppers great to have you back bro!!

I'm guessing a lot of my plants have your hand in them so what do you think so far of the plants i've got? They do imo look very nice and a good size...i just hope the smoke will be good as this is the main area that has let down AF plants in the past. Well the ones i've grown/smoked anyway!

Welcome to the thread stj :yes: Your plan is sound. I think the main reason not a lot of people do this is due to having to make sure you get the cover on/off at the same time each day...even a couple of weeks can become a chore. I remember doing this a few years ago with a amnesia haze x cindy99 and it did go well. Indoor buds grown with outdoor sun...yum!

Got some Karma Train now nearly done indoors...ramps was asking me about her so i thought i'd take a couple of pics..now this is one plant that would yield well outdoors..she can get very chunky :dance013:

picture.php

picture.php

Damn wind has put off my sea fishing trip :-( Hopefully tho it will settle and i'll be able to go thurs or fri. Will be going carp fishing tonight if the trip is off till friday..

Peace all :)

Scrogerman

Veteran
Wow Pure, they some lovely looking girls faair play man! great work!
hey Chappers! Do you have any info on your 16/8 light regime for Auto's, for the most part im seeing people that have tested this & most say 20/4 being optimal, its surely strain specific i know but whats your take on things bro!?? Im currently on 24/0 & my Auto's are budding like mad, 90% are anyway,3-4 weeks old they are! I gave my buddy one & hes on a more natural daylight cycle & at the mo its around your 16/8 and no show, not under lights like mine though, must be a factor also? Be interesting to hear your thoughts on this one as im sure youve tested your theories bro! Thanks for your help man!

Its a shame but 90% of my Autos have to go Outside to finish up! maybe next week, any advise on this one bro!

stj2006

Cheers Ch@appers and The Pure, I have very easy access but I can see it being quite a chore. I may or may not do it depending on what I have on for the 2 weeks.

Cheers Peeps

C

Ch@ppers

TPS! Hey brother!

I haven't seen your plants yet but I'm sure they look great like always...what you growing?

Scrogerman, it's a little long winded but here's what I've found...

Over the years I've grown literally thousands of autos from the original Lowryder to Auto AK47 to stuff that I've developed which nobody has even seen yet and I've experimented with all light schedules and here's what I've found.

1: Contrary to the hype, Autos DO like a darkness period. Autos are the same as any other marijuana plant in that they do most of their cell building (growing) during the darkness period. That was an easy experiment to do and it was instantly conclusive.

2: The longer an auto takes to bud (the longer the veg period) then the more it yields but the longer it takes to finish from seed. An auto started on 12/12 can finish in 50 days or less from seed but yields are much less than one grown on 18/6 or whatever.

3: Autos are not worth growing indoors as a single crop. As I mentioned, the yield on 12/12 is poor so to grow them indoors effectively you need to have a longer light period. this means more electricity (especially if growing on 24/0 or 20/4) Indoors you may as well grow a standard strain from 12/12 because they will yield as much, if not more than autos would on a 20/4 schedule in the same time. Growing autos indoors is a waste of money and electricity.

4: I used 16/8 to mimic midsummer in the UK and it works brilliantly. There was no difference in yield compared to 18/6 or 20/4 and they finished in roughly the same time.

If you MUST grow autos indoors (seedrun during the off-season) then 16/8 is the way to go. If you are not doing a seedrun then autos are not worth growing indoors, watt for watt, £ for £ and gram for gram, standard 12/12 strains are far more economical.

The only time I'd ever suggest growing autos indoors when not doing a seedrun would simply be to fill in spaces in your growroom (that should be filled with 12/12 strains)

As I mentioned in point #2, the longer an auto stays in veg, the larger the ultimate yield will be...from what you said, I expect your friends ultimate yield to be larger than yours due to the simple fact that his has not yet started to properly bud whereas yours has.

Of course, other factors affect the total yield like pot size, availability of water and nutrients, quality of light etc. If he uses small pots and you use big ones, your yield will be higher, you get what I'm saying?

Ch@ppers

C

Ch@ppers

What I was trying to say but don't think I did so particularily well is that the quicker an auto grows/finishes the less it yields.

The biggest yielding plants I've grown (Auto Giant MTF, Auto Giant G13/Haze, Auto Haze) have all gone way past the 60 day point that people associate with autos.

People are far too quick to dismiss autos if they take longer than 60 days but they fail to comprehend that autos are not useful only because of the time they take from seed to harvest but the fact that they begin to flower long before any standard plant does.

60 days is great and if you're fortunate you'll yield up to an oz. But I've had certain autos go past 90 days and have yielded upwards of 3oz per plant...all harvested way before normal plants have even started to flower. I think an extra 50% (time-wise) is worth a 300% increase in yield!

Ch@ppers

Scrogerman

Veteran
Yeah man, i agree & wow the best response ive had for ages man, Thanks alot, im running or going to run DWC & these Auto are for outdoor, i just wanted to keep a couple around to give me an early smoke(in soil), i aint even got the DWC up n runnin yet & the Auto's or 90% are flowering so i thought ok-i'll slot a few in on the outside of the Growcab to give me a bit of smoke. I realise most of what youve said & Thanks for the Tips etc, would of been an idea to explain myself a little better but any info is good info bro, & youve run loads of Auto like you said, cant pay for experience. Thanks alot buddy. ;)
The whole reason i got the seed was to get them out, on the understanding that these things finish fast, & should well be done around the september time.
Im running UKCheese & Swisscheese in DWC when i get it up, the SwissC is an outdoor i believe but ive seen decent things coming from indoor with her, i got 2 lovely pheno's with a load of Cheese traits & im thinking an improvement on yield might be on the cards.
Im also trying my hand at the 60/60 force flower tec with a load of cuts from these two mums i kept of the SwissC, checked the Almanacs and like you said i was aiming for the first or second week in August, at that time its around 13.5+ hours of daylight & these are early light sensitives so from now untill then ill be pilling clones out, well more next month really but thats the general idea. If it all goes tits up with the Cheese's i got WhiteRhino & Auroa Indica to rip up, so alls good. I spent quite a bit of cash on the Auto's & i was thinking if i hit a half oscar a plant outside im happy as. Anyway Bro thanks very much for your input!
Peace & Respect,.,,........Scroger ;)

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Normally you won't see proper flowering (buds forming) in the UK until mid to late August...looking back at my old pics, flowering was truly noticeable August 22nd.

So yeah, start force flowering round the end of July or the beginning of August and stop about the 3rd week in August and hopefully they should continue nicely.

A technique that is extremely effective but not widely used.

Ch@ppers

HI Ch@ppers,

The forcing early technique is called "Tarping" by the Canadians, think it is pretty popular there, search with that term on Canadian sites and lots more info should come up. Specific examples of varieties and daylengths/dates/latitude and information on issues with certain varieties could save a lot of time and effort.

From what I remember, it works best with Indica Dom varieties, they are less likely to revert back into veg after the "Tarping" ... 10/14 days period of forced 12/12. If you have the time and energy, carrying on the process for longer will only make it more certain to work.

Is there a risk point after which the sudden re lengthening of the daylength, when you stop modifying it, will trigger Hermies ? Is this the reason they talk of just doing 10 or 14 days of forcing ?

A friend brings a few pot plants in after dark, then puts them out into light at 9am, an easy Summer crop, you can move them as well as cover them up. :)

C

Ch@ppers

ChaosCatalunya, tarping indeed! Due to the tarpaulin used to cover the outdoor plants...I haven't heard it called that in years, we just call it force flowering (by whatever means)

Interesting info about Indica dom varieties responding better, makes sense as sativas are generally longer flowering (less sensitive) but I've never heard of a recommended length to force them...I'd just do it as long as you have to until the natural day length is similar to the force flowering schedule.

I have used a similar method to your friend except I bring the plants inside before it gets dark then put them back into position after the sun goes down...all because I can't guarantee what time I will get up but I can guarantee when the sun does!

If the sun is up at 6am, I'll put the plants into the shed/garage at 6pm then replace them after dark.

Either way, it's a very effective technique and has helped me bring in many strains I'd otherwise not have had a shot at.

Ch@ppers

C

Ch@ppers

Ok well as things are kinda slow here (unusual no?) I thought I'd take a moment to sort out some pictures.

First up is an example for Scrogerman...

A group shot of LowLife' Auto AK47. They are both the same age (approx 30 days) but the one on the left is from the new and improved Auto AK47 that I helped them develop.

As you can see, the one on the right (from the original version) is already budding up whereas the one on the left is still in it's vegetative state. I guarantee the one on the left (new and improved) will yield at LEAST 40% more than the one on the right due to it's extra size.

picture.php

Then a closeup of the new and improved Auto AK47...

picture.php

Then a closeup of the original version Auto AK47...

picture.php

Ch@ppers

Rampant

Greetz everyone, nice to see the thread in full swing! I dont really have time to post anymore but i do try and read what's going on here.
A mate of mine had to put out some plants ouside after 3 weeks of flowering cos of a security issue thinking they would reveg. Funnily they did not, carried on flowering and are now ready. Was a type of NL i think.:)
Your KT looks sweet TPS we must be growing the same pheno. Not sure what mine will yield but new lot are growing super fast. Love the taste, like bubblegum or something. I crossed it with white force and got some sativa pheno's.
Yo Ch@ppers, nice to see you about man, loads of nice pics as always! Keep up the good work, stay safe eveyone. :wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts