• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
...Looked Impressive How He Tossed "Big" Brendan Schaub about

He's looked impressive every time I've seen him, except for the fight with Werdum. Who's one of the top 3 in the world now. Browne should be in the top 4 or 5 now. He has the potential to be the champion if he continues to improve.

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
Well, Robbie already beat McDonald last year.

🌚Yeah,and Dana was pissed at Rory Because he sucked.Lawler beat him easily.I scored the Fight a Draw=2 Lawler,2Hendrick's,and one Round even.Johnny's face got fkd up both Fight's,and Lawler hurt him both Fight's.Both have sick power,but i hate the whole "Win by takedowns "kind of Fight.I mean grabbing a Guy and getting him to the ground is a stupid a$$ way to Win a Fight.Bet his Team will make a statement saying,Johny had the Ebola,Both legs were broken,He had to take a Shit,and He ate GasStation Sushi before entering The Cage ..But seriously,I thought it could have gone both way's.Good Card as a Whole though.Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed😎🍁✌️

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thought Hendricks won the fight but I do not count. Lawler was more fun to watch. Had more of an effect with his blows.

Hendricks hugs on the fence were boring. Glad Lawler won but wish he would have ko'd Hendricks to get it.

I think the both of them gassed during the fight. They just kind of coasted in my view. The end of fight flurry by Lawler and at the start of first round, were the highlights of the fight. That had to sway the judges. You remember the first and last of something more than the middle.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everyone complainging about take downs...bah...it's part of the scroing system. You tell me if you were in the cage and trying to do everything to win...and your punches weren't dropping your opponent, then you wouldn't start playing the cards and racking up points by taking someone to the mat?!?!

Please...

What's just silly is that they have a point system and then completely ignore it and throw it out the window when they tally things up and make a decision. There is NO WAY AT ALL that Lawler won that fight if you look at THE POINTS. It's impossible. And if the points don't matter...then it is a totally subjective scoring system. Might as well say, 49-46 because I liked his shorts better...

And note - I didn't have a preference in who won, I just wanted to see a brawl - which never really happened.

dank.Frank

Pro Headies

Veteran
Everyone complainging about take downs...bah...it's part of the scroing system. You tell me if you were in the cage and trying to do everything to win...and your punches weren't dropping your opponent, then you wouldn't start playing the cards and racking up points by taking someone to the mat?!?!

Please...

What's just silly is that they have a point system and then completely ignore it and throw it out the window when they tally things up and make a decision. There is NO WAY AT ALL that Lawler won that fight if you look at THE POINTS. It's impossible. And if the points don't matter...then it is a totally subjective scoring system. Might as well say, 49-46 because I liked his shorts better...

dank.Frank
Effective grappling and effective striking by the rule book for mma judges says they should be considered equal. So its up to the judges to award points based on what they think is effective. So round by round whos grappling/striking was more effective and caused more damage? Id say Lawler round 1 was most effective in his striking, round 2 and 3 to hendricks. 4 hendricks took him down but Lawler was more effective when he pounded on hendricks on ground. 5 Lawler won right out with effective striking. Im glad judges are finally awarding the fighter not the stalling/wrestle/holders. I was sure surprised Lawler got the win though. Made me jump up and yell "hellyeah"

S

SPG.

^DF.. Joe Rogan said after the Third round "the ONLY Concievable way that RL could win is By KO,TKO or by two 10-7 rounds..?".
Of them two rounds i gave him the 5th-The one round he won of the WHOLE fight..
[takedowns Score Nicely.. And im Sure JH Had a few!]

After the First JR Said " maybe he's burned himself out.." I thought He Must of damaged or Broke his right hand.. and ALSO,Realised imo That he would be Really Pissed off with With his Performance after the 3rd!... (which LOST him the fight..)

but NO!!!! .. :nono: :D

Incorrect Judging! :crazy:..........

Last edited:
Q

quokka

I agree with Pro Headies.

Joe Silva thought Robbie won and Rory McDonald thought Robbie won...............

Joe Rogan is losing his marbles slowly, he gets over excited very easily (too much DMT perhaps?) :redface:

49-46 was crazy though.

Robbie won the 4th and 5th from damage he did while Hendricks was holding him down, even Hendricks conceded that.
The first round was fairly even.

I probably sound anti Johny Hendricks, but when i heard 49-46 i thought it had to be Johny Hendricks win, conceivably he could be given 4 rounds and Lawler 3 at most....... but i still think 48-47 Lawler is fair enough.

Last edited:

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think takedowns or holding someone against the fence should count in the scoring at all unless it leads to something more. A takedown should lead to something. A fighter that takes his opponent down, works towards improving his position, and goes for submissions or effective ground and pound should win points.

Taking someone down, doing no damage, and letting him back up right away shouldn't be more important than effective striking and submission attempts.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"take downs and effective octagon control" is exactly (I think) how they word it in their breakdown of the scoring system before every PPV...

Controlling an opponent is inflicting your will upon them.

So you think someone that CAN'T get free from a strong wrestler should be awarded MORE than the individual controlling the direction of the fight...

Eh, can't say I agree with that at all.

From a pure viewer standpoint, I don't enjoy watching a pure wrestling match where it doesn't lead to damage and a KO - but at the same time, those aren't the rules and at a certain point it doesn't matter what I think because that is not how the fights are scored...

Someone bleeding doesn't necessarily reflect a given amount of "damage" - not really. Some of those guys have so much scar tissue built up it takes bumping your head on the cabinet in the kitchen to set off a fountain...lol...

Damage to me in my mind is something that makes the other fighter OBVIOUSLY unable to respond. It's knocking their wits out of them and making them foggy and causing them to stumble or loose a sense of their bearings...knocking them off their feet, causing one to double over from a body shot...stopping an advance with a stiff jab and making them rethink their plan of attack, etc...

To me, those things are more indicative of "damage" than a nose bleed is...

Not trying to argue on side vs the other - more so just contributing to conversation from a different perspective. :tiphat:

dank.Frank

iTarzan

Joe Rogan said after the Third round "the ONLY Concievable way that RL could win

That is what he said during the Bones and Gustafsen fight. Then after the 4th he said Bones needed a KO. Then after the rip off decision he agreed with the judges. Joe Rogan fried his brain with steroid abuse.

IMHO Lawler clearly won round 1. He won rounds 4 an 5 purely because Hendricks was stalling and just trying to avoid getting punched and beat up. He was not trying to win. He was holding on to avoid getting pounded.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The rules in the UFC give an unfair advantage to wrestlers. Knees to the head are an effective way to counter and make your opponent pay for a takedown attempt. All a wrestler has to do is touch the ground with his hand or knee, and knees to the head become illegal. It's an artificial advantage they get in the UFC. In Pride (and in real fighting), you can't make your opponent's best weapon illegal by touching the ground with your hand.

Hendricks left the back of his head wide open half the fight last night. He could do it because strikes to the back of the head are illegal in the UFC. Going for takedowns and leaving the back of your head exposed doesn't work that way in a real fight.

There's nowhere in the UFC rules that says takedowns have to be given points. "Effective grappling" is up for interpretation. Taking someone down and not doing anything with it shouldn't count as much as effective striking or submission attempts, in my opinion.

Q

quokka

Hendricks is tough, but when he was holding him in the 4th and 5th you could see he was getting hurt from the Lawler punches and knees, his face was starting to get all puffy.

RetroGrow

Veteran
The rules in the UFC give an unfair advantage to wrestlers. Knees to the head are an effective way to counter and make your opponent pay for a takedown attempt. All a wrestler has to do is touch the ground with his hand or knee, and knees to the head become illegal. It's an artificial advantage they get in the UFC. In Pride (and in real fighting), you can't make your opponent's best weapon illegal by touching the ground with your hand.

Hendricks left the back of his head wide open half the fight last night. He could do it because strikes to the back of the head are illegal in the UFC. Going for takedowns and leaving the back of your head exposed doesn't work that way in a real fight.

There's nowhere in the UFC rules that says takedowns have to be given points. "Effective grappling" is up for interpretation. Taking someone down and not doing anything with it shouldn't count as much as effective striking or submission attempts, in my opinion.

Agree totally. Taking someone down just to stall/rest should not be rewarded. Never once did Johny go for a submission, nor did he do any ground and pound. His tactic was purely to stall and avoid a beating from Robbie's fists/knees/feet. His corner kept shouting, "hide your head, hide your head". WTF???? Hide your head so you don't get your brains beat in. How can you score points via submission attempts/ground & pound if you are "hiding your head? In a real fight, Johny would have been dead from knees to the head and rabbit punches. In the post fight interview, Johny admitted that he didn't "have it" in rounds 4 & 5. The implication was that he was gassed, as he said he had been walking around at 215, and he "loved food", but that he was going to have to make changes and bring his "walking around: weight down to 195.
Aside from that, has everyone not realized that the sport is totally corrupt, and the fights are fixed in the sense that if it goes to the judges, they will vote for whoever they are told to vote for? Late money came in on Robbie, taking advantage of the almost 2-1 odds against. This is Vegas. It's run by the mob. Judges are in the pocket of gamblers. For that reason, I feel that championship fights should not be decided by corrupt judges, but should be fought to the finish. Then there would be no doubt as to who the real winner was.
Let them fight until one man is knocked out, or submitted, or his corner throws in the towel. But this approach would take money out of the pockets of Vegas mobsters/gamblers. Robbie wanted to continue fighting last night. Johny was done. It would have been a crime to give him the decision based on stalling. Let them fight 'till the finish. What's the problem with that?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They added time limits to fights after Gracie / Shamrock II. That was awful to watch on PPV. Lol. They realized that fights could go on forever if there wasn't some kind of limit. 5 rounds isn't enough sometimes. Obviously. Robbie would have finished this fight if there had been a 6th round. I felt the same way about the Condit / Hendricks fight. Condit would have won if he had had one more round.

Hendricks tried his best last night. I don't think he intended to take Robbie down as a stalling tactic. He wanted to go for the takedown on the way to finishing the fight. Robbie was too good to let that happen. Robbie won the fight, in my opinion. People who score more for wrestling and takedowns think that Hendricks won. It sucks that they've had 2 close fights that don't prove 100% who's the better fighter.

RetroGrow

Veteran
My only problem with that is, he didn't do anything with his take downs. No submission attempts. No ground & pound. So what's the point? To prove that you can tackle somebody? In a street fight, he would have been killed. I can see why a jiujitsu fighter takes a fight to the ground. He is going for submissions. But Johny wasn't going for anything but the tackle. This isn't football.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It also isn't a street fight so to make that comparison is just as moot...

In a street fight he would have gotten stabbed or shot...it could have been 3 on 1...etc, etc, etc...

It's a poor and completely invalid comparison.

Certainly Hendricks was just riding it out in the final rounds thinking he had done enough - and he certainly didn't do anything with the take downs - none of that is invalid...

But - the fact remains, that Lawler couldn't PREVENT that from happening...so what does that say about him???

dank.Frank

S

SPG.

Watched Again last Night at a more Suitable time!.. UFC from America is on from 12/1 until 6 am.. "So Maybe" dreary eyed at 4-5am Ish when the Headline Bout is on..
I scored the Bout:
1-L (1 takedown by Biggrigg)
2-VeryClose (Hard to Call,but Hendrix Slightly) ..again V.close !?!?
3-100% Hendrix. (Also,"a" takedown by Biggrigg)

ROUND 4!!!!! This Round ive read Some Say Lawler won!! ..?? :bigeye:, Hendrix was winning the WHOLE round & then 15 seconds( ?) before the Bell RL on JH's back on the Floor starts Punching His Body Quite Erratically ..which looked Impressive!..
...A Take down by JH too (JH won that round even W/O the takedown tho!!)
5-L

TY,Rg^ ...Hendricks did nothing with the Takedown's! ..(Stalled against RL!?..) Hendricks was Cautious for sure at one point in the 3rd he held RL on the Cage and was Doing absolutely Nothing Further!! .. Looked like a Statue,(Motionless!).. LOL...Quite Comical i thought..:) Nor was RL Mind.

...Still A Takedowns a TAKEDOWN and Scores..

The Verdict is even more Preposterous Than that of GUS' VS JONES that time..

Of that I said...:)bigeye:) ..WHAT!??,"wt..." im since Informed "YA HAVE TO RIP THE BELT FROM THE CHAMPION!..."

[erm....^^! ??????^^] *(&^%$£"!

Last edited:

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
Well,there will definitely be a 3rd Fight,so hopefully everything will get resolved.One of them will be knocked the f🌚ck out.And all the people who think Hendrick's Won and those who know Lawler won,(lol,jokin)Will finally get an answer.Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed 😲

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts