What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

U.K cheese brightside cut ?

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes she is a proper morpher depending on environment,if you look at the leaf sets on the pictures posted by @Pineboy212 and then @ojd for instance...vastly different
I always thought brightsides was heterozygous in nature because of its ability to morph like that,,,my thoughts were that its got genes that switch on or switch off depending on the environment,,that's what heterozygous alleles do

4kali

I've got to agree with that 100%
I' recieved a clone many years ago that came with the tag exodus cheese and that very same clone is nothing like its original state. when I first recieved her she was much more volatile dirty as I would say but over the many years she has took on a more berry side to her, and improved in fact
in my opinion.my people or my closest friends say that some where along the line I outcrossed her to a blues or a blueberry type and it gets quite a bit frustrating trying to explain, that the cut cut they are smoking is the very same one from all those years back that had the more volatile dirty side to her.i didnt know the correct terminology as you used above but I always say to them that this is evolution and that what you see now is what she's morphed into
ive tried to explain this to many a people over the years but for some reason I get that absent minded look from them or a reply that goes along the lines of it not being possible.
when you work with a particular var for many years and know them like the back of your hand you get to see such things that go on with them
i ve followed this cheese debate for many years and ill say this and its only my opinion!
this plant, looks to me,nothing like your early pictures of her in veg but like you say the proof will be in the pudding when you get her firing on all cylinders in your environment the way she used to know.

4kali

brightside ready for action.
will flip these in the next few days and take a wee peep at what she's all about
20230522_110423.jpg

bimblebrains_1

I always thought brightsides was heterozygous in nature because of its ability to morph like that,,,my thoughts were that its got genes that switch on or switch off depending on the environment,,that's what heterozygous alleles do
couldent have put it better myself...no really i could'nt,not with that kind of terminology lol

4kali

my bad!
perhaps I should have said supposed brightside cut!
can you post a pic up of your bimbles cut supposed brightside.will be interesting to see.now you got her rocking in your enviroment.i can see how it compares to my wizard cut.supposed brightside cut how would you like me to reference the cut going foward.
apologies on second thoughts ill just reference it as wizards cut
is that ok

4kali

also Rick it would be interesting to see a couple of pics with you saying that your bimbles cut as reacted in away to make you think it's the brightside over the last couple of week. what is it that makes you believe this? would love to hear your calculated thought process

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So when I received them I was worried they had pest or pm,,viroid etc,, as you probably would nowadays on all cuts,,,I got 2 cuts initially

So I initially sprayed it with spinosad multiple times,,,hit it with bti ,,,flashed it with uvc,, dunked it in h2o2,,I kept it in the original peatplug it came in too for ages,,,I kept it in quatenteen for a while until I knew it didn't have any thrips or bugs that transfer viroids,,,,,so I didn't judge it at this point,, I didn't use spinosad back in the day, so I can't be judging it just yet,,I put one in soil and one in rock wool,,

I brought them into a decent grow room and started giving them a low dose formulex in the peatplugs and not upgrading them,,,(this usually creates a certain look for me),,,at this point bimbles cut was throwing out nearly all 1 leaf wonders,,,3 leaf wonders are a classic brightside trait but so many 1leaf wonders seemed unusual,,that is a sign of reveg tho,,so I let it slide

Then I upgraded the rootzones slightly,,perfect environment for evaluation,, following that i had an issue with my ec tester and they got majorly over ferted, this made them continue to show signs of reveg for ages and the stem rub was well off,, they got overly bushy too,,,at this point in was having serious doubts,,,but again I'm not happy with the environment or the condition of the plant's

Over the last few weeks this is where I'm at,,,one picture is from 2008 and one is from a couple days ago,,,

Even the textures on the new growth as apposed to the waxy lowers is super similar,, it's only the stem rub left that isn't playing ball ATM for the veg evaluation,, both pictures are basically identical growing environment and medium,,,

It's not at 100% accuracy just yet but it's still on the morph

Attachments

• 14413DSC00159.JPG
    14413DSC00159.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230518_204010.jpg
    20230518_204010.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It took the over fert too well in the beginning,,,it really threw me off,,,brightsides is a low feeder and it took the high ec too well with little signs of over fert,,it fukin bushed up,,

4kali

looks very bushy similar to the cut I have but even more so.any pics of the full plant just to make a comparison to mine or have you taken cuts to create the over dense foilage

4kali

oh sorry! just re read my bad!
didn't realiase you had to reveg it from the off which is explainable for the extreme foliage.
Nice to see she had the full protocol of being cleaned up before you moved foward. I was lucky enough with my cut coming from someone who is a bit ocd in this department but one can never be sure like you say and always better to take the precautionary steps as you have done.
I've followed this thread for donkeys years and I know how much it means for you to be re acquainted with the brightside cut you had back then. hopefully your nft tables will give you a better chance of finally labeling the one

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeh,,I mean the big test is smoking the buds done on canna aqua nft

I took the 1 leaf wonders off,, I guess that counts as a defolar,,,I'd say its bushed up because of the reveg issue, over fert, and slightest defolar,,

Brightsides did have a tenancy to create a lower bush then throw out talker more bracketed bits with seemingly more auxin ,,,

Like I said,,,previously I had concerns, that's why I didn't post the pictures of the full plant,,it wasn't fair to judge it at certain points,,it's the new growth that's making me feel like it might be my old friend ,,prior to the new growth I had serious reservations,,,it's starting to feel familiar now and il continue to check it,,,but it's looking quite promising now,,,granted tho i need to go through the checks again once it gets the message who's garden it's in,,,I wasn't happy at the beginning of the checks

Attachments

• 20230518_203849.jpg
    20230518_203849.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • 20230518_203947.jpg
    20230518_203947.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

4kali

even more rootspace me thinks throw out those 7 and 9s into those rockwool cubes for rooting and caboosh! away we goes

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
9 on a brightside?

It's still a lil bushy for my liking and the stem rub is taking a while to line up,,,but new growth looks really promising and the stem rub is on track,,the notes are right it's just not pumping it out on the right level

4kali

ok will give you that one.
shift plasticity morphology maybe? mines got 7s now was hoping with a bit more love I can morph her into what ever she wants to become
to an extent that is.....

4kali

think I will just stick to the word morph from now on I had to go and swallow a dictionary to write that last post

goingrey

You may well be right, obviously the difference has to stem from somewhere, but is this a commonly accepted theory? I have been under the impression that the dominant allele would be expressed irrespective of the environment.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You may well be right, obviously the difference has to stem from somewhere, but is this a commonly accepted theory? I have been under the impression that the dominant allele would be expressed irrespective of the environment.
No,,it's not something people other than me think about really,,,this is my personal theory,,,I was the first to suggest it, ,,

I also expect the dominant alleles to rule irrespective of the environment,,,but look at what it's doing,,,your thoughts.?

I know red will expand cells and blue keeps them tight,,,but geez,,I'm not expecting single point mutation, ,,I'm not sure I'd give it the title of true epigenetic drift

The s1 progeny segregate,,for something that is supposed to be a sk1 ibl it fukin has a weird time in the transcription process,,,it puts out homogeneous crops quite well but in veg its morphology is relative to target environment,,,my assumption was heterozygous alleles on brightsides particular cut,,your thoughts??,, possible autosomal modulator ?, co dominant alleles?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts