What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Two heads, ten plants

two heads

Veteran
I guess it's finally time to start a 2012 thread. If any of you read the thread last year [https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=215940], you'll know two heads are two old friends who grow together and that we had a real fine growing season last year. Our best ever, which left us with enough herb to not have to worry quite so much about this year's crop.

Good timing too because Stephen Harper's omnibus crime bill ensures cultivating more than 5 plants means a mandatory jail sentence in good old open-minded Canada these days. So our plan this year was to maintain our two sites but limit ourselves to 5 plants at each by the end of July when the danger time begins for outdoor growers.

To do this we selected our favourite 3 plants from last year and grew out only that seed. 5 seeds in each of 5 containers at each site. By the end of July we assumed we would have eliminated males and weaker females to end up with one fine female in each container. Mission accomplished, so it's time for a grow thread!

First up - the seed moms from last year...

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
I'm gonna be the first to pull up a chair for this one.
Can't miss a good swamp grow!
Here's hoping for some huge plants for you and your partner :joint:

two heads

Veteran
Early Baby's Breath, B2 and Orange Bud - our moms

Early Baby's Breath, B2 and Orange Bud - our moms

We ended up with a lot of nice plants last year but after trying everything, we had three favourites worthy of passing on their genes. The Early Baby's Breath was a small plant but beautiful. I took a lot of photos of it growing last year. It was ready very early. Here it is in the third week of August:

picture.php

and on September 1:

picture.php

We only got a small amount of this overshadowed plant but it was so sweet to have something early and it had a great high. So far, it's offspring are very similar to mom - except bigger!

B2 was a Baby's Breath plant from the swamp that kind of got overlooked by the showier saliva it shared a tub with but it was a heavy yielder (almost 8 oz) and our favourite bud by far. Strong, dreamy high and delicious dense buds. Here it is dried:

picture.php

So far it's offspring are close to the Early in maturity but not so pink and airier.

The Orange Bud was a clone we got from a medicinal grower friend who was over his plant limit. It was everything Orange Bud is famous for - powerful high and rock hard buds. Here is a dry bud from last year:

picture.php

This clone would have been pollinated by one of our Baby's Breath males so maybe it's hybrid vigour but this plant's offspring are freakish giants. More on this next...

two heads

Veteran
The Cedars

The Cedars

We have two sites, one in a dense cedar forest near a popular trail and another deep in an urban swamp. We usually plant the cedars first and the swamp a week or so later. The swamp always gets off to a slow start due to the wet spring conditions but it really takes off in August and September. So first, here are how things looked in the cedars June 14:

picture.php

and two weeks later:

picture.php

A few days ago, this site was culled down to just 5 females, including this monstrous Orange Bud cross, which we're concerned will topple:

picture.php

The Early looks real strong:

picture.php

The B2 stretches but not as bad as the Orange:

picture.php

There's a 5 pic limit so, up next, the first bud shots...

two heads

Veteran
Buds in the cedars

Buds in the cedars

The Early buds have that great Baby's Breath colour:

picture.php

The B2, just a hint:

picture.php

Like last year, our main concern here is water. It's not raining much so we are visiting about once a week and have to top up our reservoirs from a nearby river at night.

Up next, the swamp...

two heads

Veteran
The swamp

The swamp

I truly love the swamp. It's tough getting in and the water is really cold in the spring but then you're rewarded with this:

picture.php

For a long time, this will be the most beautiful flower in our little corner of swamp but by fall we hope to be overflowing with heavy, fragrant buds!

Meanwhile, after a typical slow start, this is how it looked when I left yesterday as the sun was going down, with one plant in each tote. I marked the crazy height of the Orange Bud cross in yellow on this:

picture.php

This is how it looked June 17:

picture.php

Our germination/survival rate wasn't as good here so one B2 and one early got transplanted from totes that did better to end up with one female per tote. Here's the transplanted Early:

picture.php

...and the transplanted B2. Our tiniest plant but I chose it over a bigger Early because I loved that B2 mom so much!

picture.php

Up next, a few more swamp pics...

two heads

Veteran
Swamp round-up

Swamp round-up

The Orange Bud cross in the swamp is huge/gangly just like the one in the cedars:

picture.php

I think this cross is going to be a headache keeping upright so I hope it's as good as the mom was!

Just like the cedars, the B2 is much better behaved:

picture.php

...and the Early is deep magenta:

picture.php

Well, that's all up to date now. We'll be at the cedars more than the swamp just because that site needs watering and the swamp takes care of itself, so I'll likely only have a cedar update next. Thanks to FirstTracks and hydro-phonics for tuning in right away!

Doing the swamp thing as well, I know I loved your thread last year, beautiful buds. You know I'll be sticking around for this one.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2H, really enjoyed your O/D grow from last year. I look forward to growing those pink haired Baby's Breath! :)

ExcelAtIt

Sweet grow, I did my male in a swamp this spring. Your right, they really take care of themselves in there pretty much. I left it for 2 months and came back to find pollen! Which was viable, even being in a swamp.

Eugen

Mentor
Veteran
hey twoheads,
nice plants and nice buds ya showing us. i loved the show last year. will be looking over ya shoulder once again :lurk:

Good timing too because Stephen Harper's omnibus crime bill ensures cultivating more than 5 plants means a mandatory jail sentence in good old open-minded Canada these days.
f*ck this harper guy.

grow strong :good:

two heads

Veteran
Thanks for tuning in everyone. Let me know how the Baby's Breath turns out for you festivus! And yeah Eugen, Harper is some kind of hateful. Being Canadian is not what it used to be.

We went out last night under an almost full moon to stock up on water at the cedars. Sorry no pics but the moon was bright enough to see that the plants are huge and sturdy. The Orange Bud cross towers several feet over our heads. We've stockpiled enough water for the next two weeks of daytime watering - more if we get the rain that is forecast. I'll post pics from the next daytime visit.

Eugen

Mentor
Veteran
hey two heads,
just one question.. you are saying that you were topping up your reservoir on site... would you mind a pic of that... or how many liters does it hold?
i am probably going to have to do something similar next year... (well... first i will try it without watering but if summer really turns up... plants gonna have a hard time i guess).

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey 2H, for that really tall girl, couldn't you L.S.T. the stem and tie her down? I would think she could be spotted pretty easily being that tall.

two heads

Veteran
Eugen: I'll try to get a pic next time out but our reservoir is just one of the garbage pails we no longer use since we limited ourselves to 5 pails per site. All our pails have drainage holes so we lined it with a heavy duty garbage bag and so far it is working great. Before this year we just stored water in four 10 litre gas cans. The garbage pail holds about 60 litres so we have significantly increased our capacity. Daytime watering has to be very quiet because we are close to a trail and scooping and pouring water out of the pail is much quieter than using the gas cans which can gurgle at inopportune moments.

This site is ridiculously close to the walking trail and I'm amazed it hasn't been discovered after all these years. Once we had a dog wander in and say hi to us as it's owner waited on the trail. Fortunately the cedars are so thick no one but a dog would attempt to penetrate them and we can only find our site because we know exactly how to wind our way in. You can be two feet away and not see a thing.

Festivus: That's the same reason I'm hopeful they won't be seen, in spite of their height. The surrounding cedars are dense and very tall. They are not going to be seen for their profile but I do worry about them from the air. Hopefully five plants won't stick out enough on a green background. My guess is LST would make it more evident from the air, not less. If it starts to fall over we may just have to LST anyway.

The Boys

has Harper already passed that law ?

ps: im looking foreward to seeing this years grow

pps: FUCK harper AND HIS PRUDISH BULLSHIT !!!!!!!!!

thats right NO capital on the name harper !......fucker

Eugen

Mentor
Veteran
haha, a visit by the dog while at the guerilla spot :laughing: i know what you are saying about having well hidden and protected spots, but in the moment i saw that dog i would have been frightened... at least for a bit. imagine the dog owner is looking for the dog and finds you, smoking a spliff, playing with the doggy right on a guerilla spot with nice plants behind you... :biggrin:
i only see, boars, foxes, birds and deer. no dogs yet, luckily. ;)

happy growing

Latest posts

Latest posts