What's new

Two heads 2011

two heads

Veteran
Last year was a bit of a disappointment (well a lot of a disappointment actually) as we were using soil that was far too old. This year, we made the effort and carried in new bales of ProMix - two to the swamp site and one to the cedars. We also brought in new totes to the swamp. We now have 6 totes in the swamp and 4 garbage pails in the cedars, all with good fresh ProMix, Aquasorb and Osmocote - back to what has always worked.

So far, it looks like it is making a difference. Here are the cedar site seedlings on June 7:

picture.php

picture.php

And here they are about two weeks later:

picture.php

picture.php

The seedlings are all from our favourite plant last year:

picture.php

EXCEPT pail #3, which has seven seedlings from my buddy festivus and House of Love seeds. Thanks festivus! These are Sugar Cane Train x Chem Dog. Can't wait to see how these do outside in Canada. If they mature on time, we'll cross them with our Baby's Breath strain.

picture.php

The cedar site was planted first - it's always later in June before we can plant in the swamp. I'll post the swamp site pics next.

two heads

Veteran
The swamp site

The swamp site

The swamp site is a few weeks behind the cedar site but hopefully these seedlings will come along as quickly as they have in the cedars. This site is also our seed, but a different, white-pistil pheno. We do however have four clones from an indoor buddy. They were all a bit sickly but hopefully they recover. Here is how the site looks:

picture.php

There are six new totes, all with fresh ProMix, Aquasorb and Osmocote. Here are how the seedlings are doing:

picture.php

picture.php

and here are two of the clones - fingers crossed!

picture.php

I'll update in a few weeks when we visit next. Have a great season everyone!

ijim

I hope you continue this thread. I am very eager to see the results of all those plants in one pot outdoors.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent! Hope the SCT can stand those cool northern temps! Subbed Fo Sho

clearcutter

Hey two heads! The cedar site looks like they're coming along nicely. Hope the swamp site catches up for you. :tiphat:

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Two heads,

Good! Crotch deep moats are good security.

It is easy to see why that pink pistilled plant was a favorite. Beautiful. What is in her lineage?

two heads

Veteran
Claude - For years we grew a clone that we selected from an unknown mother (Marc Emery outdoor mix) pollinated by a Blue Domino dad from Breeder Steve. The pink pistils came from the mother. We called this clone Baby's Breath. A few years ago we pollinated the clone and set about stabilizing the seed. Still working on that but we continue to 'select the best and reject the rest'.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey 2, was wondering what the chicken wire is for... assuming it's to keep deer from eating the young ones?

two heads

Veteran
festivus - Actually deer never seem to be an issue in the swamp or the cedars - too wet and too thick respectively. More like smaller critters - squirrels, muskrat, whatever. They aren't after our plants but they get curious about the soil. When they dig it up we lose our tiny seedlings. We already had that happen to one swamp tote this year when we didn't secure the wire well enough. Fortunately, we later got those clones to replace them.

I've checked the House of Love seed selection (oh, and sorry about your inventory loss). My pre-House of Love seeds were labeled SCT x Chemdog. Is this a back-cross or the same as your straight-up SCT, (which I see is Chemdog x [Trainwreck x Hawaiian])? Small difference I'm sure but I thought you could set me straight.

supermanlives

Veteran
looking good. i miss outdoor growing . cant find a spot here in so cal too many homeless and mexicans. good luck

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm pretty sure you've got the SCT crossed with Chemdog. I was down to my last couple of SCT clones, and couldn't reverse them to make S1's, so as a last ditch effort to save the strain I crossed it with chemdog. It turned out to be a very complimentary cross- the hawaiian in the sct is super stable. The trainwreck x afghani is hermi prone (and the chemdog to a lesser degree), but the sct straightened them both out. The resulting cross doesn't throw any mixed flowers, and it has a strong pest resistance, probably because the original hawaiian was an acclimated outdoor strain. The chemdog is my all time favorite strain to cross, it brings so much vitality to any hybrid.

Don't let the critters munch those girls bro lol.

The Boys

2heads: i might have brought this idea up with you before but have you tried the swamp method (or otherwise) with organic ferts ? I have read that (if you get the right mix ) solid organics such as bat guano, bone meal etc. mixed in the soil/promix will provide the "time release" style nutrition that you get from the osmocote (which the fertilizer if im not mistaken). the reason i mention this is im interested in the possible health benefits opposed to using chem ferts. and ofcoarse the possibility of improving the flavor of the final product.

Maina

Veteran
2heads: i might have brought this idea up with you before but have you tried the swamp method (or otherwise) with organic ferts ? I have read that (if you get the right mix ) solid organics such as bat guano, bone meal etc. mixed in the soil/promix will provide the "time release" style nutrition that you get from the osmocote (which the fertilizer if im not mistaken). the reason i mention this is im interested in the possible health benefits opposed to using chem ferts. and ofcoarse the possibility of improving the flavor of the final product.
yea thats what I do.I let the organic soil /fert mix cook for 1 month and never feed again.they get big in swamps man realy big I add dolomite lime and crushed oyster shell to of set the PH shit that happens in a swamp.Had one plant 12 feet tall 28 feet around ,it works.I have smart pots and maina potsthey work well I will bump the thread.

Nice set up I will be looking at this one

two heads

Veteran
The last few years we attempted all organic using compost and a sea-based fertilizer. Not a fair trial though because we added it to old ProMix and did NOT add lime. Our yields got worse and worse each season this way. The Osmocote-Aquasorb combo has been fool-proof for us however so we went back to it this year. I honestly can't say I noticed a better taste or smell with organics however. That being said, next year, rather than add more Osmocote, we may try compost again but with added lime this time.

It does seem the critters are more interested in soil with compost in it, especially sea-based. If you can let it cook long enough before planting, they seem to lose interest after digging it up a bit.

The Boys

i dont know about compost but i would reccomend bat guano or sea bird and basic blood and bone meal. there is a large thread about organics entitled " organics is like set it and forget it growing " or somthing like that. One guy posts about organic mixes losing thier nutritional value over various amounts of time, he posted about some losing there value after 2 months others 3 and ( mabey wanting to )experimenting with "hotter" mixes.