What's new

Trudeau, the Liberals and legalization

Interesting results. 29 no votes means the Conservatives didn't all vote in lock step in a pathetic attempt to stop the inevitable. I believe there are 33 Conservative senators. Could this be a sign of progress for them? That never would have happened with Harper at the helm. And I don't think there was any danger of legalization being delayed to be the carrot dangled in the next election. I think that will be a national fair pharmacare program if the Liberal "teasers" revealed in the last budget are any indication.
And as for the limits Gmack mentioned I think many lawyers have already said that wouldn't hold up in court. Although the lawyers will still rake in piles of money from cannabis DUI's.

Gmack

Where all con senators present for the vote? The dui bill needs to be changed before it's made into law. That's the whole point of the senate. It shouldn't need a constitutional challenge to be removed. Cops not needing probable cause to ask for a saliva sample needs to go as well. Fix those two points and I'll feel a whole lot better about these bills.

Where all con senators present for the vote? The dui bill needs to be changed before it's made into law. That's the whole point of the senate. It shouldn't need a constitutional challenge to be removed. Cops not needing probable cause to ask for a saliva sample needs to go as well. Fix those two points and I'll feel a whole lot better about these bills.

Good point, I know some of the Liberal/"independent" Senators were not going to be there, hence the various articles today in the press about how close the vote was going to be. You are probably right in that a few of the Cons were absent. I also agree with you about feeling better about this bill with changes to the DUI regs and limits. So many of us have jobs that require a valid license for the job itself, let alone getting to and from work. Just imagine if they had pre-trip weed tests for Tandem drivers, equipment operators and concrete truck drivers? Nothing in this country would get built:biggrin: The trouble is the DUI part of this has become one of the biggest political footballs. I think the police want to keep their budgets flush with Cannabis related cash and so are harping on the roadside testing. I just don't want the person who had a toke the night before getting their license taken away when they are stone cold sober the next day.

handshake

I agree with all that. Very surprised to see the DUI part hasn't been changed.

Gmack

I have no idea if all the con senators were there or not but it's not unusual for senators to miss votes. Dui charges are some of the most difficult chargs to defend yourself aginst currently. I don't want to be the test case and I don't want anyone I know to be either. Hell I don't want anyone on to here to be that person either. Good news is c45 isn't the bill with the dui rules in it. C46 is the one to watch. Most of us here are medical users so c45 won't change much for us really. We will/are already better off then rec users

Gmack

What is the DUI situation for med users?

Currently it's a field sobriety test if the suspect drug impairment. No thc blood limits. If you pass the road side test your free to leave. If you fail you will be charged with Dui. Same goes for any prescribed drugs. And that's fine with me. If your reactions aren't good you shouldn't be driving. Alcohol is the only substance with a set limit. If c46 passes unchanged it's 5 nanograms thc per ml? Of blood. It's extremely low. Any regular usage will put you way over that number.

Currently it's a field sobriety test if the suspect drug impairment. No thc blood limits. If you pass the road side test your free to leave. If you fail you will be charged with Dui. Same goes for any prescribed drugs. And that's fine with me. If your reactions aren't good you shouldn't be driving. Alcohol is the only substance with a set limit. If c46 passes unchanged it's 5 nanograms thc per ml? Of blood. It's extremely low. Any regular usage will put you way over that number.

So are we meant to carry our grow licence with us? How do we prove medical? Think these cops are going to call HC? I have a feeling they will arrest, tow the car, charge you, then you fight to get it back. As anything though it depends on the cop

Gmack

So are we meant to carry our grow licence with us? How do we prove medical? Think these cops are going to call HC? I have a feeling they will arrest, tow the car, charge you, then you fight to get it back. As anything though it depends on the cop

Short answer is being medical won't protect you at all from dui arrest. Impaired is impaired. People get dui every year with no drugs or alco In their systems just from being tired while driving. C46 makes the way cops determine impairment a roadside saliva test that they do not need probably cause to request form the driver. Get pulled over for Amy reason and they can say we want to test you. You can't refuse or your guilty of a dui and your drivers license is suspended for a year(most provinces not sure if all) if you say sure and the test shows thc is present in your saliva they will detain you and take you to the police station or a hospital for blood to be drawn. Again you can refuse to cooperate at any time but that's a instant dui charge. If you blood has more then 5 nanograms of thc per ml(?) it's the same as blowing over .08 bac on a breathalyzer and you will be charged with dui. It's fucked.

Gmack

I could pass a “field sobriety test” after smoking 10 fat ones.
I couldn’t pass a field sobriety test after drinking 10 beers.

Sure that's my point. Your not impaired after the joints. A novice smoker would be but most daily smokers can't get to that level from smoking flower.

Latest posts

Latest posts