What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trick my Pod - The complete Aeroponics primer

Pod Racer

Yes they can be Villain.

That pump is fine, there most likely will be a set screw to set the cut off pressure. You will need a filter (screened 200) if using foggers and possibly either a relief valve back into the res. or an accumulation tank to hold the pressure for your interval.

This depends on how big a system or how small. The smaller the more need for all the rigging - Oh an PS, that pump will be very noisy, so if noise is a factor I'd suggest going with the more expensive Variable Speed versions as they bypass the Accum. Tank and regulators (its basically an all in one for the same price honestly).

Using the cheaper pumps oddly means much more add ons, so you eventually learn that just bitting the bullet and getting a VSD and High End Foggers (i,e. the pvc ones not poly press fit).

But its all in building it too. That is part of the fun of exploring this medium, there are all sorts of options or possibilities - you don't have to just stick to what I've created, as long as you stay within the parameters of TAG you can explore every sort of aeropod. Just look at my other threads and see what people have built, there are many TAG racers now. (I'm so proud)

Use some of that great 'inspiration' that comes from the fruit of your labor, it will guide you.

Peace.

Grow2Much

Couple plans, Few questions.

Couple plans, Few questions.

Hey Pod....man just have to say...what an inspiration! I've been trying to go aero for awhile, but decided to look around a bit longer before I bought supplies. I'm glad i did! I had a feeling something just wasn't right with these commercial "aero" systems and you confirmed it.

Everyone has the same abilities I have; they just don't use them or practice them. Which is why I don't feel arrogant, I just feel most people are just lazy. And sloth is a sin, as is wiling ignorance in my belief. However, some are seeking and if I can aid them in finding the truth or a path towards enlightenment then I've earned my karma for that moment in time.

Karma earned. I've found plenty of aero building guides, info, etc. But your TAG and TAN threads overshadow them...so thanks.

Anyway, ass kissin' out of the way, lets get down to business! :joint:

Heres the plan:

2 - 100 psi pump

100 - 50 micron misters

1/2" PVC

2 tables

6 tubs

50 plants per table

100 - 2" net pots

100 neoprene inserts

Okay, so I'm playing this as safe as possible. I'm running 2 separate setups in one room in case I mess one up. There will be 1 pump,3 tubs, and 50 plants per table spaced 2-3 inches apart from each other (the plants, not the tables). All 100 plants will be in 2" neoprene inserts under 2 1000 watt mh/hps and sprayed with 100 - 50 micron misters @ 16 misters per tub. I'm planning on vegging for no more than 3 weeks.

So now I Have some questions!

How far away from the pots/roots should I keep the misters?

Given the space/cycle time, will my root zones be large enough?

How Big should my 3 Reservoirs be for 50 misters and a 100 psi pump?

I'm thinking 10 or 5 Gallon reservoirs.

How full should each of the reservoirs be?

I'm thinking half way. So either 5 or 2.5 gallons.
If I'm right, http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/fldepu2gpm12.html would this pump do the job? seems like it. And what is EVERYTHING I need to connect to the pump other than a screen filter to get it fully/optimally(control 100 psi) operational?

Wont the roots eventually dip into the system and set causing rot? Or does the O2 provided by TAG make that okay?

Lastly, given my 3 week vegging period, what would the ideal PPM's be using DM nutes for those 3 weeks then the 8 weeks flowering?

You recommend using half strength DWC nutes, but it would really put my mind at ease if you could just throw out a "custom" ppm's recommendation for this grow, considering the investment going into it.
I understand that PPM varys on strain. I'm just asking for a ball park estimate because I DONT HAVE A CLUE right now. Ill be growing both indica and sativa (got some c13:headbange)

I know... lots of questions...and thats just the start lol. Dont mean to bug, but hey I'm really interested in TAG. Want to learn and plan to do it for awhile. I'll be starting a TAG journal on here in 2 months. As soon as i get my new apartment. This isn't a commercial grow. Its for fun. I just like to do shit big (you should see how excited I am when looking at all those close up bud shots...just beautiful).So, I'm not worried about messing up in the slightest (It is alot of money though lol).

Thanks for any help man. :headbange

Last edited:

Grow2Much

Just read the last page

Just read the last page

Sorry about your pops man. Glad to hear all will be well though. My dad just finished a bunch of radiation therapy and a few chemos for his stage 3 cancer. THings like this suck man. At least everything is under control. Best wishes.

Pod Racer

Great quote, did I say that? :]

Pops doing alright, about to have a defibrillator put in, wish I new how to trick them. lol

How far away from the pots/roots should I keep the misters? As far as possible, the root zone should fill with aerosol (you don't want to spray the roots)

Given the space/cycle time, will my root zones be large enough? No - you have way too many plants too close together. For any True Aero expect huge root balls and growth (even in flower) I would not go any tighter than 8" apart, this is about as tight as you can stand trust me.

I've tried to squeeze up to 32 in a 4 x 8 table, it is murder getting to all the popcorn shoots and you have got to keep the lower 8" of the canopy bare to avoid mildew and other issues.

That is currently my biggest issue is they grow so thick in mass that overnight if the room temps are just so I'll have a massive break out of powdery mildew to combat. There has to be a lot of air circulation as these plants are using 10x the gas exchange at canopy level as they are in the root zone.

Long lesson learned by yours truly here. I have been trying to stuff TAGs for years only to find that I can really generate the same volume of bud off fewer plants for the same foot print.

It would seem the canopy is the canopy in TAG so as thick and dense as you can fill it AND the root zone with healthy robust growth - the healthier and more robust the bud production.

I end up with either 25 plants all putting off about an .5 oz or 8 throwing 4 oz each or more. However it is all in the critical ability to rapidly and cleanly exchange the atmosphere surrounding the plant.

This is the biggest issue with this system as if the rig isn't tight (and you need air flow into it) the room can easily see the humidity rise above 70% and that isn't a good environment for your plants - only pests. I use a DH to remove excess moisture, however I am obviously still battling the problems with concealment. If only we could TAG in open sun like Ra intended. Just imagine.

How Big should my 3 Reservoirs be for 50 misters and a 100 psi pump?

How big are your tables, you only need enough to ensure there is sufficient reserve for the interval AND that if unattended they don't dry out. In heavy flower a 4 x 8 table (like my pool deal) with 24 plants consumes about 8 - 10 gallons a day. So, if you are using a res, you need the reserve. If you are using a float valve, you don't have to sweat it as much.

PS - I just lost that entire table during this Heart Attack deal as I left my table for 3 days with about 20 gallons in it. Came home to bone dry pool with bone dry roots and a dead crop. (So yeah, shits all over yours truly)

I share that as a warning about not having a float valve or enough reserve.

These are sometimes very high maintenance rigs for sure. But it is my own fault for not being more on my game in a crisis.

I'm thinking 10 or 5 Gallon reservoirs. (I'd think more if you are doing 50 plants.)

How full should each of the reservoirs be? Enough for the interval plus.

I'm thinking half way. So either 5 or 2.5 gallons. (I'm thinking more)

If I'm right, http://store.waterpumpsupply.com/fldepu2gpm12.html would this pump do the job? seems like it. And what is EVERYTHING I need to connect to the pump other than a screen filter to get it fully/optimally(control 100 psi) operational?

Wont the roots eventually dip into the system and set causing rot? Or does the O2 provided by TAG make that okay? Tap Roots need to drink 100% of the time, they wont rot the Oxygen takes care of it.

Lastly, given my 3 week vegging period, what would the ideal PPM's be using DM nutes for those 3 weeks then the 8 weeks flowering?
Start with 400 ppms and end your 3 weeks at 6-700 ppms. Flowering up to 1000 starting at around 600 is what I do.

Whew...that was a bit.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Villain

This is a mighty sad time for you PR not that you need to be reminded. I send my humblest regards to your father and your aero ladies sincerely. When coming out of the garden and back into the real world we are reminded of how real it can be. Fortunately we are a social species and get joy from others. Keep your head up man and don't forget ppl get that same joy from you.

Pod Racer

Thanks Villain, I needed to hear that. It is a dark period for sure, however I feel like a lot of it is my own fault, as Jim Jones put it so eloquently before convincing hundreds to kill themselves:
"Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it."
The unfortunate part is the lessons I was trying to avoid learning were some really ugly lessons to learn, and so I've been put back to square one again for denying my tutelage. However, now I have an entire year of experience living in my new environment and the majority of everything that could go wrong has. So at least I have my knowledge and education to place as slightly ahead of where I was a year ago. lol

I'm a very suborn spirit sometimes, and far too Romantic (non-sexual). The glaring ugliness of humanity is sometimes very overwhelming. However, so is its brilliance and generosity. Hopeful the later outweighs the other at the end.

I'll race again, just need a breather to get my rig fixed and all my crew out of the pit.

Peace.

Villain

Your spirit is amazing, I for sure would go on a rampage.

I would like for you to know that you have inspired yet another egger soul. I bought the Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 off eBay for 166.50 and want to rig it up to 10 "Superfine misting Nozzles". My Aerotank is 13"Wx19"L I was gonna have three misters on the long side and two on the short sides. The whole thing minus the pump and the res will be rigged up inside this dresser

I'm sure it will come out well I just need to get better ventilation and a CAP timer. Actually now that I think about it do you think you could give me a hand picking one out. I hate to ask but how do I know the difference between a 125.00 one and 85.00 dollar one? But as soon as I have venting, plumbing and a timer I am set to go on construction. I will naturally have a thread about it and I invite you to have front row seats. I also would like for JAT to attend and everyone else that would like to see it all come together in a fresh young mind : ).

Thanks PR.

Pod Racer

Thanks Villain, I have one that is similar to this one. This one is the same price I paid, you can find them for $89. :cuss:
scat_30162.jpg

But it has preformed beautifully.

I tried the DIY version with the cycle timer kit, but after spending about $30 in gas looking for all the parts, $15 on the timers, $20 on the soldering iron and all the frustration, I ended up just canning it and buying the commercial version.

It is a no brainer.

Villain

I was wondering if you could explain what I will need to get the pump and plumbing setup. Basically I am just wondering if I just hook up water lines and go, or do I need all sorts of extra equipment such as regulators, and pressure gages... If I could get a good picture of how yours looks I could most likely figure it out. Call me crazy but I am a bit nervous working with high pressure water lines lol.

CloudPuff

Hey Pod and gang! This is my first post here on the forums after lurking for the better half of a month and I just wanted to say what a great thread you have going here as well as the other thread "Tag - Landing" which seemed like it could have grown a lot bigger but its life was cut short like the unwanted balls in a garden of buds :( You've dropped a lot of knowledge that I must admit was a lot to take in but was worth the read, and i appreciate you and the other fellas taking the time to explain the basics to us newbs. Keep up the great work so i have some more stuff to read and learn :headbange

Cloud

p.s Can you tell me where you got those pvc adapter things you got to hold your neo pucks and whats the part number for it? I know in your other thread "Tag - Landing" you stated that they were "PVC 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" coupling" but i have yet seen anything that looked exactly like that. I've driven to a few Lowes and a couple HD's as well as other hardware stores but have yet found those. The closest i came was an online store but not sure if it's the one because its an adapter and not a coupling. Thanks!

Pod Racer

Thanks CloudPuff - That makes all the years of hard work worth sharing. :eek::

The couplers should be seriously easy to find. They are nothing more than the standard threaded 1 1/2" PVC Male Adapter with a threaded nut. They come as a pair for about $.89 each at both HD and Lowes.
Don't know a part number, but they are as common as elbows. They just have a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 version (sometimes) that works better for holding the pucks.
It should not be hard to find at all.

Villain, all you need is a 200 mesh screen inline filter and you are set. With the VSD model pumps you don't need a regulator or tank, just the timer and a filter. The pump will slow way down towards 49 psi as it approaches 50. Then off once it is finished or the line is clogged. It never exceeds 50 or 65 psi, so no worries there and runs like a hose otherwise. They are worth the investment just like that timer. Just pays to buy what works, period. :bashhead:
Learned all that the hard way. :spank:

Grizzel

Hey Pod Racer First let me thank you for you work in developing TAG and your teachings. Look forward to joining the team.

I was stupid enough to buy a commercial aero system (piece of crap)

Size 35x22 25 gal rez.
I had nothing but trouble since I brought this Sh!t last month.

My first question is can I run a shallow TAG zone with what I have. My root zone is only 7" deep and the 5" net pots hang down into it pretty deep leaving only a 1" or 1 1/2" above the misters.

I thinking if I modify the top of the unit (get rid of the 5"net pots) and use the 1 1/2" x 1" reducer to hold the ready grow plugs I can use that 7" space more efficiently. Will this still be considered a TAG with the proper pump and misters?

2nd question: can I use a 1 1/2" x 1" reducer to hold the ready grow plugs? or will there be a problem with that?

My closet is 24"x57"x7'
I have a pump coming Friday a shurflo 1.4 gpm 60 psi already have the 200 mesh strainer and 1 gph misters.

Grizzel

Last edited:

jiboia

I have two 400 watt HPS and plan on trying TAG in the near future. Please correct me if this is wrong!

I should be able to accomodate about 18 plants for the lights correct? The table would be 3 x 6.
Question: how deep should the table be? How many misters should i have and at what height should they be?
What is 200 mesh screen inline filter??

Thanks!!!

Hey everyone!!

Hey everyone!!

Happy New Year!!!! :wave:

Its been a while since I post but my setup had to go on standby for a while. Its pretty much done just have to fine tune some issues. The only major problem is that I havent found a chiller, im getting root temps at a cool 90F. I'll post on my thread this week and show you how my effort less plants are going.

jiboia - your calculation is fine, but you can push it to 8in apart if needed. I just read it on the thread. A 200 inline filter:
http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=109&navid=22
this one is 3/4, you can find it easy 1/2.

Pod, hows everything?, still racing? father recuperated?

Happy New Year to everyone.
:rasta:
CG

G

tag - of an interesting nature --

dammm PR, you seem to have a whole school of little tiny trolls in asshole suits mukin up a really good thread. poor lil,pricks - prolly been doing that crap all their lives and getting the crap beat outta themselfs - now there is no pain on the net - accept the pain WE endure! lol

ya must be doing a few things right.

nice read - I wana give up the dirt pharmin - pretty soon. I wana go fishin this spring and I can't get out for more than 12 hours now, I haven't put more than 2 - 300 miles on my motorcycle in a weekend - where as a couple days off would be worth the lessons.

I'll b back

Last edited:

jiboia

Hi everyone:

I have a question about water pumps:

I am going to get 8 pvc pipes 3' long each and have 4 plants on each pipe. Now i need to get a water pump. I should have 5 nozzles in each pvc pipe so that would be 5 X 8 = 40 nozzles. I dont live in the US so i cant get the water pumps you guys get....

What size water pump should i get ? At what HP, GPM, ...some pumps say 65psi, but doesnt pressure change due to numbers of nozzles? GPM, doesnt it change also due to the number of nozzles?? Please if you can explain everything about water pumps so i can go out there and find one that suits my needs i really appreciate it!!! Thanks!!!

jiboia

1. PSI > 30, 50=Ideal, 100 psi even better.

if the pump says 100 psi, but what i dont understand is if i had one nozzle, compared to 40 nozzles, wouldnt pressure be different?

2. Interval cycling 20-30 seconds on, 3-4 minutes off (Dark periods may extend dry periods).

To stay on the safe side, like if the nozzles clog up for a few hours, i plan on adding an ebb &flow to this set up...i would add another small pump to fill the pvc pipes with water every 2 hours. Do you think this is necessary or just extra work??

3.Average droplet size 50µ (micron) nozzles (acceptable ranges 30-80µ) with flows < 2 gph preferably .5-1gph with screen filters of 150 and up.

If the flow is .5gph, does it mean that if i have 40 nozzles, the water sprayed per hour is total of .5 gallons or is it per nozzle, meaning .5 x 40 = 20 gallons per hour?

Wayzer

What are ur recomendations for reliable cycle timers...?
ive been reading alot and it seems like one of the most important pieces of ur system.

http://www.hydroponic-aeroponic.com/product_info.php/cPath/5/products_id/384

1-2 HP Cycle Timer T1013 120 Volts
[PD2000] $199.99CAD

Click to enlarge
The T1013 Cycle Timer a Solid State timer, that has been designed for use with aeroponic and hydroponic systems. This CSA / UL approved unit is rated for inductive loads up to 1/2 HP or 10AMP. On and Off times are separately adjustable from 30 seconds to 1 hour. The T1013 also has a selectable Night - Mode feature that controls the irrigation when your lights are out.

T1013 EQUIPMENT MANUAL

The T1013 Cycle Timer is a full function cycle timer which allows the user to repetitively turn on and off any 120 VAC load device rated at up to 10 Amps or 1/2 Hp. The on and off times are separately adjustable from 30 seconds to 1 hour. The T1013 also has a selectable Night Mode feature. In this mode, instead of taking the off time from the OFF TIME control, the off time becomes a longer preset NIGHT MODE off time whenever ambient light drops below a set level.

Installation:

NOTE: As with all electronic devices, the T1013 should be plugged into a surge protection device to protect it from power line surges.

To install the unit, screw to a wall vertically within reach of a wall socket. Simply plug the load device you wish to switch into the socket on the back of the T1013 piggy back plug. Set the On and Off times, and plug the T1013 Piggy back plug into surge protection device which has been plugged to the 120 volt wall socket.

The T1013 has no On/Off switch. The units begins to operate in the ON TIME mode as soon as the unit is plugged in.

Operation:

A. Timer Operation

The T1013 is a cycle timer. This means that the unit constantly cycles, or alternates between two modes, an ON TIME mode, and an OFF TIME mode. In the ON TIME mode, the load device is turned on. In the OFF TIME, the load device is turned off.

B. Night Mode Operation

This mode supplements the basic timer operation. When on, the Timer OFF TIME mode is forced to be an extended 4 hour NIGHT MODE off time no matter what the OFF TIME adjustment is set at. When it is finished, the ON TIME will start again. When this is finished, another NIGHT MODE off time will start.

To enable Night Mode, the Night Mode Switch on the top on the T1013 must be moved to the ON position. The unit will operate as before until the ambient light drops below a set level for more than 15 seconds. If the unit is in the ON TIME Mode the NIGHT MODE off time will start as soon as the present ON TIME finishes. If it is in OFF TIME already, the present OFF TIME will be extended by the NIGHT MODE off time.

The Night Mode off times continue either until the Night Mode switch is turned off, or ambient light raises above the set level for more than 15 seconds. If it is in the off time, it will immediately start to go into ON TIME Mode no matter how much time is left.

The 15 second delay prevents Night Mode being triggered by momentary flashes of light. If you wish to check something, it will allow you to turn on the lights in the darkened room for up to 15 seconds when the unit is in the NIGHT MODE off time, without triggering an immediate ON TIME.

If you want the T1013 to operate with NIGHT MODE off times all the time regardless of light level, cover the LDR window beside the ON TIME light with a piece of black tape.

this one looks good and has a NIGHT MODE which is awesome... 200$

whats good in ur experience master pod???

Villain

I want to revive this thread

I want to revive this thread

Hey there everyone I want to revive this thread. I have officially started a TAG setup and I am almost ready for grow phase. Please ask and I will post picture. Right now I will hold off as to not waste my time in case nobody cares lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts