What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Treating Cancer with Cannabis - patient is 7 year old Boxer Dog

tyler33

lymphoma cancer

lymphoma cancer

hey my dog was recently diagnosed with stage 3 lymphoma cancer i understand that cannabis oil has recently been used to treat cancer and i want to try it but im not sure the dosage amount and if there is any certain type of oil im supposed to use as well as other specifics if anyone could help me out it be much appreciated thanks

mack 10

Veteran
@t33, I started with a Rick Simpon type Alcohol extraction, ideally you want a medical oil in that you want to extract all the cannabinoids possible your not after a shatter or what I call smoking bho. If you are in Colorado you buy the stuff ready made.
There is even a vet who sells his own varient, basically he does an alcohol wash then makes that into a Glycerin tincture, as its easier to dose and the animals seems to prefer it to say qwiso. (which I think they can still smell the alcohol?)
The dosage is the hardest part to get right, start very small, the first dose I gave was a hemp oil capsule half dipped in Rick Simpson oil, this was too much. and dogs do not seem to like the effect. they look very confused. The good thing is tolerance builds quiet fast and by the end of the first week the dog could handle multiple doses will no side effects. the first few days all they will do is sleep. Then they start to get a handle on it.
There is some good info on dosage's and feeding times but I cannot remember where I saw it...?? start slow and build and always test it on yourself first.
Good luck.

Dukes Dad

New Canine Patient: Duke (6.5y/o Mastiff)

New Canine Patient: Duke (6.5y/o Mastiff)

Hi All,

First post here, only found the site an hour ago.

My big guy is a 150 lb 6.4 y/o Mastiff. Duke has prostate cancer that has metastasized to the lymph nodes. He started chemo therapy this past November.
-Carboplatin IV once every 3 weeks
-Pyroxicam daily

To this, I added 7,000 mg of Omega-3 fish oils.

After 5 doses, 1 week before due for the 6th Carboplatin dose, Duke had a bad bought of discomfort, swelling of the right rear leg and difficulty with bowel movements (went from 1 Mastiff-sized BM to 6+ poodle sized, daily). X-rays and ultrasound indicated that not only had his prostate swollen, but he’d developed what was believed to be a Mast-cell tumor in his abdominal region. Either this new mast-cell, or the prostate swelling is theorized to be restricting the circulation to his right rear leg, causing swelling. All 3 vets involved recommended discontinuing the Carboplatin IV chemo. That decision was made on March 4th, 2014 (early this month).

At the time, I was fairly certain he’d not make it to the end of the month, and believed that he likely may not survive a week further.

I recalled something about cannabis being used to treat cancer. I researched it as much as I could (not a lot of actual studies, just testimonials) but did find info on the Cancer.gov website about CBD, apoptosis and the effects of CBD on the CB1 and CB2 receptors. Later, I found an Italian study from 2003 which backed up much of what I’d read.

Unfortunately, my New England state is not a state where a vet can prescribe anything MJ-related to animals, only Doctors for people use.

Without going into details of how, high-CBD oil was acquired and is being used to treat Duke starting March 8th, 2014. The oil supposedly had a composition of <1% THC and 19-25% CBD. There was no way of verifying those numbers, as the oil passed thru several pairs of hands before it got to me. It was a small vial, clear and contained enough oil for about 5 days with the dosage at 0.5ml twice per day (1.0 ml daily). We observed that Duke seemed to have an improvement after only 5 hours.

Duke’s dose ran out last Wednesday. It was Saturday before he was able to receive another dose. This dose is in a larger bottle with a dropper. It is apparently a high-dose CBD, low-dose THC again (and again, cannot verify). However, the bottle clearly has two different components in it. There is a relatively transparent layer at the bottom and a darker fluid at the top. I was told it is supposedly cinnamon-flavored, but having read some here, it may be infused with cinnamon instead (I understand now that cinnamon has positive health effects as well). This oil has done a number on the syringe dropper that had been used with the previous dose.
Duke has improved since he started receiving his doses. He is more comfortable, has started drinking water again (had to make him soup before, just to ensure hydration), is “up” for the occasional walk, and Duke is still Duke at heart. I know his battle is far from over, and God knows what way this is gonna go, but we are giving it our all; he’s our “baby” and way too young to go and this is too crappy of a way to be done in.
After much ado, here are my questions:
1] Does the oil need to be shaken up (to mix up the contents of the 2 components) before the dose is drawn to ensure a proper dose? There is concern about what is making up the separate layers, and should it be shaken, etc?
2] The swelling in Duke’s leg has subsided somewhat, but the swelling has not gone away entirely. We are pleased to see him having healthier bowel movements (yesterday’s was about the size that a 60-70 lb. dog would have), but the swollen leg is still concerning. We are doing daily massages of his leg, and 20-minutes of ice on it nightly. Any advice?
3] Dosing: 0.5ml x 2 per day correct? At some point should the dose be backed off, and if so, what are the indications of his condition to look for?
4] General comments, question, concerns.
Look, I know very little about the MJ culture, and a month ago, my opinion was “Just legalize and tax the stuff. It can’t be worse than alcohol.” Now, I feel I have firsthand knowledge, via observation under medical circumstances regarding the use of it for health. I am unable to use it myself, but certainly favor it’s legalization more so and clearly see the medical benefits.
Having said that, my focus is taking care of Duke; I’m a wreck trying to take care of my big lug, and need some feedback from folks more well-versed in its use. Judging from the name of the original topic thread, I think this may be the group.
I need to make sure he is being dosed correctly and if there are any additional measures that can be done.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Hi All,

First post here, only found the site an hour ago.

My big guy is a 150 lb 6.4 y/o Mastiff. Duke has prostate cancer that has metastasized to the lymph nodes. He started chemo therapy this past November.
-Carboplatin IV once every 3 weeks
-Pyroxicam daily

To this, I added 7,000 mg of Omega-3 fish oils.

After 5 doses, 1 week before due for the 6th Carboplatin dose, Duke had a bad bought of discomfort, swelling of the right rear leg and difficulty with bowel movements (went from 1 Mastiff-sized BM to 6+ poodle sized, daily). X-rays and ultrasound indicated that not only had his prostate swollen, but he’d developed what was believed to be a Mast-cell tumor in his abdominal region. Either this new mast-cell, or the prostate swelling is theorized to be restricting the circulation to his right rear leg, causing swelling. All 3 vets involved recommended discontinuing the Carboplatin IV chemo. That decision was made on March 4th, 2014 (early this month).

At the time, I was fairly certain he’d not make it to the end of the month, and believed that he likely may not survive a week further.

I recalled something about cannabis being used to treat cancer. I researched it as much as I could (not a lot of actual studies, just testimonials) but did find info on the Cancer.gov website about CBD, apoptosis and the effects of CBD on the CB1 and CB2 receptors. Later, I found an Italian study from 2003 which backed up much of what I’d read.

Unfortunately, my New England state is not a state where a vet can prescribe anything MJ-related to animals, only Doctors for people use.

Without going into details of how, high-CBD oil was acquired and is being used to treat Duke starting March 8th, 2014. The oil supposedly had a composition of <1% THC and 19-25% CBD. There was no way of verifying those numbers, as the oil passed thru several pairs of hands before it got to me. It was a small vial, clear and contained enough oil for about 5 days with the dosage at 0.5ml twice per day (1.0 ml daily). We observed that Duke seemed to have an improvement after only 5 hours.

Duke’s dose ran out last Wednesday. It was Saturday before he was able to receive another dose. This dose is in a larger bottle with a dropper. It is apparently a high-dose CBD, low-dose THC again (and again, cannot verify). However, the bottle clearly has two different components in it. There is a relatively transparent layer at the bottom and a darker fluid at the top. I was told it is supposedly cinnamon-flavored, but having read some here, it may be infused with cinnamon instead (I understand now that cinnamon has positive health effects as well). This oil has done a number on the syringe dropper that had been used with the previous dose.
Duke has improved since he started receiving his doses. He is more comfortable, has started drinking water again (had to make him soup before, just to ensure hydration), is “up” for the occasional walk, and Duke is still Duke at heart. I know his battle is far from over, and God knows what way this is gonna go, but we are giving it our all; he’s our “baby” and way too young to go and this is too crappy of a way to be done in.
After much ado, here are my questions:
1] Does the oil need to be shaken up (to mix up the contents of the 2 components) before the dose is drawn to ensure a proper dose? There is concern about what is making up the separate layers, and should it be shaken, etc?
2] The swelling in Duke’s leg has subsided somewhat, but the swelling has not gone away entirely. We are pleased to see him having healthier bowel movements (yesterday’s was about the size that a 60-70 lb. dog would have), but the swollen leg is still concerning. We are doing daily massages of his leg, and 20-minutes of ice on it nightly. Any advice?
3] Dosing: 0.5ml x 2 per day correct? At some point should the dose be backed off, and if so, what are the indications of his condition to look for?
4] General comments, question, concerns.
Look, I know very little about the MJ culture, and a month ago, my opinion was “Just legalize and tax the stuff. It can’t be worse than alcohol.” Now, I feel I have firsthand knowledge, via observation under medical circumstances regarding the use of it for health. I am unable to use it myself, but certainly favor it’s legalization more so and clearly see the medical benefits.
Having said that, my focus is taking care of Duke; I’m a wreck trying to take care of my big lug, and need some feedback from folks more well-versed in its use. Judging from the name of the original topic thread, I think this may be the group.
I need to make sure he is being dosed correctly and if there are any additional measures that can be done.

Hey DukesDad,

Wonderful post, thanks for sharing you experience.

Without a picture it will be hard for us to understand the oil your working with, but if i was to go by your description it sounds like a hash oil/glycerin based mix..I could be wrong.

You sound like you have a good grasp of what to do and are learning as you go, which most of us are, sadly, bc of prohibition. As far as dosing your dog, im of the understanding that you want to increase the dosage to what is acceptable to your pup, i.e start small but work up, as tolerance builds.

Im not sure if you have access to high cbd flowers, but in my dogs case, she is going to get a 'canna dog biscuit' which ill make at home. Ill have to learn the dosing ect. But im not going to sit by while cancer works its evil.

I searched this thread bc my best friend has been diagnosed with lymphoma and I decided to go this route instead of the chemo, being that she has already had a very tough life, physically. I searched weedmaps and found a place in Sacramento that has high cbd flowers. I hope she likes the treats and her body responds to the treatments.

You, along with everyone else in here, sound like great owners. Our dogs couldnt have been blessed by better owners who care for them. Fukin tearing up...

Thanks again for everyone who shared, this thread is a good thing to have.

theJointedOne

Veteran
just got some 17%cbd 3%thc acdc from a d in sac. I vaped some, and felt nothing more than relaxed a bit, a tinnny headchange but nothing more than 5 minutes of "wait was that it??" lol

Got half a zip on the stove now with some coconut oil and water and cinnamon.

Going to make raw coconut oil, peanut butter, oat flour, and hemp seed treats. I am going to eat one first just to see the strength and then well see how my dog likes them.

Dukes Dad

Thank you all for your assistance with Duke.

The application of CBD came too late for my furry son, and the cancer was too widespread to be stopped. I firmly believe that the CBD application extended his life by several weeks. Considering that I did not apply it until March 7th, and he lived until March 29th, then you'll realize how grateful I am for what the CBD gave him. Duke crossed the Rainbow Bridge this past Saturday (3/29). Take care.

JazzyBrite

My boxer/lab mix is 11.5 years old and has developed a ver large tumor around his anus and when I took him to the vet yesterday the vet said that the only think we can do now is "make him comfortable". She didn't give me much hope. Today some friends made him some cannabis oil and I'm going to apply that topically. Hoping for the best. I can't imagine my life without him! Any other suggestions?

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Here's a thought.
Topical application be more effective if you use DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide) as a carrier.
Ask the vet for some.
Or, Amazon.
About $9 per pint.

It's a bipolar solvent that will take the oil deep into the tumor.
Consider also, that the growth is probably painful.
An oral application will help with that, and with tumor shrinkage, and, in the case of malignancy, will also inhibit metastasis.

I know how you feel.:comfort:

Aloha, and luck.
Weeze

Andy Doglover

This is very good news. I'm happy for the owner & for the dog. I also regret I hadn't begun growing MJ sooner. I could have saved my labrador's life.

I'm new to the medical properties of cannabis so I want to know the best way to administer it to my dog (who has nasal cancer)? I've looked at the oil but seems quite difficult to make!!

Andy Doglover

just got some 17%cbd 3%thc acdc from a d in sac. I vaped some, and felt nothing more than relaxed a bit, a tinnny headchange but nothing more than 5 minutes of "wait was that it??" lol

Got half a zip on the stove now with some coconut oil and water and cinnamon.

Going to make raw coconut oil, peanut butter, oat flour, and hemp seed treats. I am going to eat one first just to see the strength and then well see how my dog likes them.

Please excuse my ignorance....but what's a zip? I'm in UK and only trying to find some form of cannabis to treat my terrier, who has nasal cancer (internal), which unfortunately cannot be treated!! She's 14 but so full of life, she would go on for a few years if I could treat cancer effectively!
Any suggestions would be very welcome!!

theJointedOne

Veteran
Andy- My recipe used cannabis which is high is CBD, and Low in thc, it is from a medical cannabis facility, and im not sure you can access this type of flower easily in the UK,if so then yea my recipe worked good for my dog. A zip is an ounce, i made the ounce of high CBD cannabis into about 45 days of treatment for my dog. Now, I just give her raw ground up cannabis (high CBD still) with her dinner, about half a gram or so.

If you dont have access to High cbd flowers, you can still make a cancer treatment, but you need to be wary of the effect of thc on the animal. With humans, we know we are about to get really high, with dogs, they have no idea, so the less high they get, the better, imo. Look for "rick simpson oil recipe", and id start by giving them a grain of sand sized (a tiny drop) amount in their dinner, see how they respond. If the dog doesn't seem to be upset with the dose (no sign of OD) then id do the same thing every night for two weeks, then double the dose, another 2 weeks, ect.

I am not a veternarian/doctor and this is not scientifically proven

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
I agree with TJO about feeding buds, but it's best to decarb them in the oven @260F. for ~30 minutes first.

That's not about getting high, it's about absorption.
The CBD-a and THC-a molecules are too big to pass the blood/brain barrier.
Knocking off the CO2 allows them to enter a tumor more easily as well.

With RSO, the size of the starting dose will depend on the size of the dog.

An 80 pound pup will start with something about the size of a BB and increased, gradually, to the size of a pea as tolerance builds.
That is very hard to titrate, so, for dogs it's best to dilute the oil with something the dog enjoys.
Mix 10 grams of RSO into 100 grams peanut butter and store in the fridge.
1 gram = ~ 1/4th tsp. of that mix, will contain ~100mg. or 1/10th of a gram of oil.
That's a good starting point for a 200 pound human.
Scale it down for the dog's weight.

Just my 2 cents, probably not optimum, but it'll do the job.

Aloha, and good luck.

Weezard

crash666

Hello Everyone! Just stopped by for an update on my German Shepherd with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Much to the amazement of everyone (including both vets), he's still going strong. He still gets cannabis oil twice daily. He had a bought of atrophy recently and we had to start him on steroids, but otherwise no problems. The growths in his mouth haven't increased in size since he started on the oil in November. He still acts like himself, eats 2 huge meals a day and goes to work with me every morning. He's lost about 5 lbs since November, but he's still at a healthy weight. I just wish more sick people and animals had access to such an incredible treatment. Sorry for the long delay on this update.

mack 10

Veteran
Here's a thought.
Topical application be more effective if you use DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide) as a carrier.
Ask the vet for some.
Or, Amazon.
About $9 per pint.

It's a bipolar solvent that will take the oil deep into the tumor.
Consider also, that the growth is probably painful.
An oral application will help with that, and with tumor shrinkage, and, in the case of malignancy, will also inhibit metastasis.

I know how you feel.:comfort:

Aloha, and luck.
Weeze

I agree with TJO about feeding buds, but it's best to decarb them in the oven @260F. for ~30 minutes first.

That's not about getting high, it's about absorption.
The CBD-a and THC-a molecules are too big to pass the blood/brain barrier.
Knocking off the CO2 allows them to enter a tumor more easily as well.

With RSO, the size of the starting dose will depend on the size of the dog.

An 80 pound pup will start with something about the size of a BB and increased, gradually, to the size of a pea as tolerance builds.
That is very hard to titrate, so, for dogs it's best to dilute the oil with something the dog enjoys.
Mix 10 grams of RSO into 100 grams peanut butter and store in the fridge.
1 gram = ~ 1/4th tsp. of that mix, will contain ~100mg. or 1/10th of a gram of oil.
That's a good starting point for a 200 pound human.
Scale it down for the dog's weight.

Just my 2 cents, probably not optimum, but it'll do the job.

Aloha, and good luck.

Weezard

Great posts. I will use both of these tips, rock on Weezard.

Rip Duke.:ying:

Chenske

Hello everyone, I'm totally new here but I have a couple of questions in regards to using Rick Simpson oil on my dog.
My dog Colton we found out recently had developed a cancer that eats away at the bone, it's sadly common in dogs that are a bit older. I have done some browsing on other cannabis forums on the same subject and I have actually seen posters claim that has killed the cancer, and tumors. Though it's hard for me to believe it will cure it entirely, I do know it will help and slow down the process and I really do hope it can cure him.

I don't think we will need much help on how much to give him, he is 60-70 pound dog and we have a good idea of how much to give him, but expertise is always welcomed.

The big issue here is that relatively we are planning on amputating the front leg with the tumor in it, but with what people have been saying about the oil, I'm not sure if we should amputate or not..

His bone isn't entirely gone, but this cancer is known to be aggressive and I don't want want to waste anymore time than what has been.

If you can please give any opinions on what you think we should do, we know it's our choice and our dog but things need to be considered with an open mind.
And what are the chances that it will kill the tumor in his foot? And if it does, will it the bone be able to grow back? Colton is nine years old.

Anyway, thank you all very much if I can manage to get some replies.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
I wish I had solid answers for you, brother.

There are hundreds of different kinds of cancer.
Osteosarcoma is a tough one.
So time is of the essence.
If it were my dog, I'd start the oil yesterday.
You'll soon know if it's working.

And it is my understanding that bone cells grow constantly.
So the odds for regrowth are good.

Again, I'm just some guy on the internet that reads a lot.
And loves dogs.

Aloha,
Weezard