What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Transcend Lighting: The Next Generation T5 30w LED

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wait until you see pics tomorrow of the plant, the roots, and the plants under the led HOT5s.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I changed nutes this morning. Tried to bleach the algae build up on the grate. As the leafs get bigger a canopy develops that minimizes the algae development.

Will post pics tomorrow

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks, due to all the false starts, I was beginning to think I had a poltergeist in the grow room.

Ran into a fellow grower who also got his babies eaten

Last fresh nute batch I accidentally added too much Epsom Salt (140). The leafs have been a little droopy, so i made fresh batch (<50) and replaced yesterday. Leafs already look better

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here are pics of both the plants that will go under the 2 Amares, and the lone plant under the SE 220.

I will move that one under the hot5 led and have 2 plants under each Amare light fed by my Mini Me F & D

The babies were droopy last night. This morning I cleaned the igloo and replaced with fresh nutes. They have perked up quite a bit since this morning, but not yet 100%

View attachment 360325 View attachment 360326
[/FONT]

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Young plants have totally recovered

Got some bad news from Amare, my SE 250 still not shipped. Moved to the back due to a EU Distributor's order

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I decided to move forward, somewhat.

I will take the 2 best and put them under the SE 220

I will move the lone plant under the hot5. To do this I have to re-position the table it rests on, so that the bucket can sit on the floor. That should position the light fairly even over the plants

Petflora great read, thank you very much for pointing out these t5 LEDs, going to order 2 of the veg bulbs in a few min, and 2 more in a month. I originally found you from your post in the Cycloptics Greenbeam post, bought a GB about a month ago, was planning on buying more till i realized you were quite right about the reflector needing to be replaced. You cant just replace the insert, you need to replace the whole reflector, ($375) wish I would have considered that before hand.

But back the the t5s, you keep saying its directional lighting, but is it? They use blue LED lights to energize phosphors, its the same principal of a gas filled tube, (florescence) only LEDs are driving it. If its energized phosphors that actually creates the light, its not directional.

I am only planning to veg under the t5 LEDs, and while I was planning on buying more GB fixtures for when I move come end of September, (bigger place, more growing room) I am now seriously considering LEDs for flower. I am growing scrog, once in the new place, each plant will have a 3x3 growing area, and each will have its own light. (6 plants)

I have already checked out Amare Technologies, and I must say, I do really like the SE250. But before making a final choice on such an expensive product, who are the other contenders, and is there any person/forum/growlog that tests/reviews the best LED options? Not looking to cheap out on cost, I just want the best option for the money.

How often does Amare Technologies update the LEDs they use? The CXB3070 is not the latest model is it? Thought the newest was the CXB3590? Would I be better off ordering the newest parts, and building my own lights?

Thank you very much!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Petflora great read, thank you very much for pointing out these t5 LEDs, going to order 2 of the veg bulbs in a few min, and 2 more in a month. I originally found you from your post in the Cycloptics Greenbeam post, bought a GB about a month ago, was planning on buying more till i realized you were quite right about the reflector needing to be replaced. You cant just replace the insert, you need to replace the whole reflector, ($375) wish I would have considered that before hand.

But back the the t5s, you keep saying its directional lighting, but is it? They use blue LED lights to energize phosphors, its the same principal of a gas filled tube, (florescence) only LEDs are driving it. If its energized phosphors that actually creates the light, its not directional.

I am only planning to veg under the t5 LEDs, and while I was planning on buying more GB fixtures for when I move come end of September, (bigger place, more growing room) I am now seriously considering LEDs for flower. I am growing scrog, once in the new place, each plant will have a 3x3 growing area, and each will have its own light. (6 plants)

I have already checked out Amare Technologies, and I must say, I do really like the SE250. But before making a final choice on such an expensive product, who are the other contenders, and is there any person/forum/growlog that tests/reviews the best LED options? Not looking to cheap out on cost, I just want the best option for the money.

How often does Amare Technologies update the LEDs they use? The CXB3070 is not the latest model is it? Thought the newest was the CXB3590? Would I be better off ordering the newest parts, and building my own lights?

Thank you very much!

Glad somebody's paying attention :tiphat:

I do not know what tech TL uses in their T5s. Let's assume it uses the same remote phosphor as their D 200 Greenhouse supplement light (now off the market). What I mean by directional, is unlike hps/mh/lec... bulbs, only half the tube has leds. The backside is the heat sink

3070 is simply a lower wattage version of 3590, same outstanding specs, less heat.

I have been privileged to have some manufacturers provide their led offering in exchange for honest reporting. So far I have done grows with BML SPYDR 600, various Amares, and both Transcend Lighting offerings. I may another interesting panel to test in 6 month or so.

Perhaps the biggest problem for manufacturers is how fast le tech is evolving, think computer tech. However, for the most part current white based tech is plenty capable of growing outstanding meds.

TL is/was unique using the most efficient diodes (450nm) and exciting light plates coated with special blend of phosphors (no idea how long before they break down, but 450 is very cool operating). This in effect doubles the life expectancy of a panel. But how important is that?

Lets use your GB example, where it costs $375 to replace the reflector. How often must this be done, annually, every other year? An Amare SE 250 is $745 and will last > 5 years of constant use

Here's a plant I took to harvest under 2 TLs + 2 ZooMed Florosuns. This time I have all TLs 4 white/4 red

View attachment 361137

hth

Ahh ok, i figured there was two LED drivers at the ends, energizing the gas in the tube. But either way, would not degradation of the reflective surface be caused by heat? If that is the case, i would imagine the ballasts would give out before a t5 fixture running LEDs would ruin the reflective surface.

If heat is the only factor, then the 315w GB would degrade slower then a 400w HPS, but without a light meter, (and time) there is no way to tell how long that reflective surface will last. Think I will shoot the manufacturer an email, to see what kind of tests they have run for reflector longevity. The savings over time was one of the main reasons I bought the GB, ballasts last for 50,000+ hours, and the bulbs still hold over 80% initial lumens at 20,000 hours. Its what made it worth it at $600, unfortunately, I never considered reflector.

If I am just using the t5 LEDs for veg, should I get all veg bulbs? Or should I mix in a flower bulb as well? My fixture is 4 bulb, would have gone with the 6 or 8, but like I said only using for veg.

Think what I will have to do is, buy a SE 250, and see how it stacks up with a GB. I assume it can handle a 3x3 unassisted?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahh ok, i figured there was two LED drivers at the ends, energizing the gas in the tube. But either way, would not degradation of the reflective surface be caused by heat? If that is the case, i would imagine the ballasts would give out before a t5 fixture running LEDs would ruin the reflective surface.

If heat is the only factor, then the 315w GB would degrade slower then a 400w HPS, but without a light meter, (and time) there is no way to tell how long that reflective surface will last. Think I will shoot the manufacturer an email, to see what kind of tests they have run for reflector longevity. The savings over time was one of the main reasons I bought the GB, ballasts last for 50,000+ hours, and the bulbs still hold over 80% initial lumens at 20,000 hours. Its what made it worth it at $600, unfortunately, I never considered reflector.

If I am just using the t5 LEDs for veg, should I get all veg bulbs? Or should I mix in a flower bulb as well? My fixture is 4 bulb, would have gone with the 6 or 8, but like I said only using for veg.

Think what I will have to do is, buy a SE 250, and see how it stacks up with a GB. I assume it can handle a 3x3 unassisted?

I mixed 3 white with one red. The red stimulates root development

Yes the SE 250 is supposed to handle 3 x 3. My SE 220 did just fine in a 33 x 33, which is close, but I also have a 3 x 3 awaiting a SE 250

I also saw that you mentioned mixing the LED t5s with regular t5s, was that just because you did not have enough LEDs, or is there another reason you mixed them. The fact they use 45% less energy, yet have around 5% more output, and last 5+ years makes them a good deal at $70. I would rather just run all LEDs unless there is a good reason not to, I firmly believe in spending more upfront to save over time.

Thanks for all the help!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also saw that you mentioned mixing the LED t5s with regular t5s, was that just because you did not have enough LEDs, or is there another reason you mixed them. The fact they use 45% less energy, yet have around 5% more output, and last 5+ years makes them a good deal at $70. I would rather just run all LEDs unless there is a good reason not to, I firmly believe in spending more upfront to save over time.

Thanks for all the help!

You're welcome! :tiphat:

Yep,
first time I did not have enough reds. Now have 4 of each. Started veging with 2 + 2, then went to 3 + 3 and now 4 + 4

I will be posting pics as soon as my camera battery recharges

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All plants doing well.

Bubble Bath

These really need to move out of BB. That said root development up high on the net pot is very encouraging, as once they get into their new home they will anchor and provide more nutes to the plants

View attachment 361654 View attachment 361655

Bucket Plant

The primary leafs are as big as my hand. growth has slowed since moving from the Amare SE 220 to under the TLs (240w)

View attachment 361656 View attachment 361657

Mini Me

These babies are doing exceptionally well by comparison to the TL plants, although those aren't that far behind. I think the biggest reason is the F & D rocks

View attachment 361658

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yesterday was a busy in the grow room.

I connected another Dual Mini-Me F & D system, and took the 2 next best plants from my Bubble Bath. At the moment they are under the 8 TLs, with the intention of moving them under the SE 250, which has not yet shipped.
wallbash.gif

In the mean time, I will be able to see whether the fantastic growth under the SE 220 is due to the SE 220, OR, whether my DIY Mini-Me (which allows the roots to grow in the dark) plays an important role.

First 3 pics are from under the TL, the fourth under the SE 220

Well, well, well. In one day the transferred plants that are now in my Dual Mini Me F & D, but under the TL (2nd pic from left), are reaching up to the light
woohoo.gif

After seeing how quickly the plants responded to roots being in the dark, this morning I moved the remaining plants from the Bubble Bath into a DIY Mini Bubbler (no pic)

View attachment 361908 View attachment 361909

View attachment 361910 View attachment 361911

396w of fluorescent will get the job done, just don't expect at tight as nugs as if you were running 400w HPS. Plus it will get your foot in the door with the LED t5s, buy what you can afford now, then buy the LED replacement bulbs as you can afford them. $70 a bulb is pricey, but with a 5 year warranty, and the fact your using 45% less energy makes them a good deal in the long run.

I am only using them to veg, so I bought a 4 bulb HOt5, and two LED t5s, in a month or so when I have the extra cash, ill buy the other 2 LED bulbs. Just make sure whatever you fixture you buy, its the High Output version, the fluorescent bulbs should be 54w each, if its not the HO version, sometimes called HOt5, the LED replacements wont work.

Never mind, did not realize I was answering someone form the first page, thought I was on the last, and I don't have enough posts to edit or delete. lol

Latest posts

Latest posts