What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Transcend Lighting: The Next Generation T5 30w LED

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some of you may have visited my threads using various commercial leds over the last 3 years.

Prior to that I was an early adopter red/blue ufo led sucker. That bad experience led me to buy a Quantum Bad Boy 432w (8 tube) HOT5 in order to cover a 2 x 4 grow area. And while grows were excellent, annual bulb replacement costs added up fast

Consequently, it has been gathering dust for a couple years, but will soon be back in a tent due to Transcend Lighting providing some of their new 30w hot5 tubes. But don't let the wattage fool you. That said, one can grow a couple sweet plants under 240 led watts when they are properly designed and have cannabis friendly spectrums

I have experimented with ~ 22w T8 led tubes (mixing 5000 with 3000), but they required removing the ballast and rewiring the tomb stone connectors- a RPITA!

Transcend hot5s are a direct drop in (no rewiring/ballast removal):woohoo:

http://www.transcendlighting.com/store/p5/T5_High_Output_LED_Tube_.html

Will be getting some soon to expand on this thread

In the mean time, i hope to see you on my other current led thread

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
very seductive.
trendy tho' spendy.

how much less energy could they possibly use? i mean T5s are pretty easy on the budget (till you start replacing bulbs every other month).

do they also reduce a lamps heat/temperature ?

:dunno:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
very seductive.
trendy tho' spendy.

how much less energy could they possibly use? i mean T5s are pretty easy on the budget (till you start replacing bulbs every other month).

do they also reduce a lamps heat/temperature ?

:dunno:

Hey tric. Long time...

Yes, very seductive.

Spendy? My custom aquarium bulbs > $20 each, or $160+++ per year, AND, I don't like the special care needed to dispose of them.

I go the extra mile and cover spent bulbs with clear packing tape to minimize someone getting cut

Using led tubes (not glass) I expect minimum of 3xs the life at > 90%, by comparison a bargain

Also all the light goes directly to the canopy, as opposed to ~ 40% reflected. One company makes hot5 tubes with a built in reflector, but again more $$$$$$

Time will tell, but so far his TL D 200 (230w) is crushing it in veg, so if the tubes are anything like it then these should be well worth it

I can't wait! Well I can, as I have some very nice hot5 grow tubes, BUT, would love to be using the leds instead

Pics from yesterday (much fuller/bigger today). Need to move the plants into my Mini-Me F & D

Drop by my thread to see the action

View attachment 335066 View attachment 335067 View attachment 335068

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I received 2 flowering tubes yesterday, but will wait to install them until I see sex

I employed it to handle the plants that I am culling from the 2 ld panels as I cull down to 2 under each led

ITMT, I am stoked at how well the plants under the hot5 are doing

Currently using 2 ZooMed Florosuns + 2 Quantum 6500k

View attachment 335963 View attachment 335964

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finally set the 3 tents up properly. Pic taken yesterday, but already taller and fuller

The hot5 now uses the twin bubbler tote with 2 @ 4" discs in each. I will increase to 3 discs each, which I can do easily

The ~ 200w hot5 plants are blowing my mind at how fast they are catching up to both of the ~ 220w leds

Can't wait to start a grow using Transcend Lighting's NW led tubes, although I have a bunch of the Quantum 6500s. Mixing them with the 2 Florosuns seems the right combination of inner node development and stretch

Note the bulkhead fittings and shut off valves on each 4g tote: they were from last grow.
4 gallon totes are great for starting 6 @ 3" net-pots per tote, which allows for better best plants selection

The 3g totes work better when I transition to F & D, as they fill faster, using less nutrient= a smaller rez. Large kitty litter buckets work great to feed 2 @ 3g totes filling to the top of each net-pot due to stones displacing some of the volume

View attachment 336214

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
nice plants Pet.
did you say they shipped the led tubes? or was that to just you?
website says out of stock...four to six weeks lead time...

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice plants Pet.
did you say they shipped the led tubes? or was that to just you?
website says out of stock...four to six weeks lead time...

I got 2 flowering tubes. NW were/are out of stock

That's all I know

hth

DJXX

Veteran
Great find PF...i want some...even though they seem pricey they will pay for themselves with the electricity they save...DJXX

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great find PF...i want some...even though they seem pricey they will pay for themselves with the electricity they save...DJXX

Not only will they pay for themselves by the end of the second grow (I replace the hot5 bulbs yearly), BUT, all the light goes to the canopy

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not much longer before I add the 2 Transcend flowering led tubes

Pic # 2: I took 4 clones from the tallest plant SS- BM, who has yet to show her pubes. Clones are in the far bubbler along with one Mystery Seed + a very short BBCC pheno. Since i have the space might as well let her grow

Having grown under leds exclusively for a couple 3 years now, I am more impressed with what can be accomplished using hot5 @ ~ 216w, but the replacement cost for normal cfls leaves me cold, which is why I am so excited about Transcend led tubes

View attachment 337809 View attachment 337810

gardener60

The Next Generation.

The Next Generation.

I have read all the post that i could, but i am still at a dilemma. I see a deal for some T5 8 lamp 3000k fixture 396 watts . At this point and time this is all that i can afford. I want to stay with fluorescent lights because of the high cost of running HPS or MHL lights. How do you guys feel about the purchase of these lights? I know you probably have been ask this before.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have read all the post that i could, but i am still at a dilemma. I see a deal for some T5 8 lamp 3000k fixture 396 watts . At this point and time this is all that i can afford. I want to stay with fluorescent lights because of the high cost of running HPS or MHL lights. How do you guys feel about the purchase of these lights? I know you probably have been ask this before.

We all have budgets. As long as it's HOt5 panel (High Output), which has a beefier ballast

HO tubes are 54w, so the math for this fixture seems wrong. It should be either 6 tubes @ 324w or 8 tubes @ 432w

Further, hot5s fixtures will accept Transcend Lighting LEDs. I am using 2 now. Plants grown from veg now in later stages of flower

View attachment 342406 View attachment 342407

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
This sounds like an interesting product, thanks for sharing your results. I was curious though, are you aware of any bonafide studies that have been done demonstrating the performance of using LEDs to grow cannabis? Any and all info is appreciated :yes:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This sounds like an interesting product, thanks for sharing your results. I was curious though, are you aware of any bonafide studies that have been done demonstrating the performance of using LEDs to grow cannabis? Any and all info is appreciated :yes:

there is a YT video by Greengenes Garden where he compared a 1000w hps to an Apache Tech led (I think it was 600w). Had the buds analyzed. You can see the results there

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
there is a YT video by Greengenes Garden where he compared a 1000w hps to an Apache Tech led (I think it was 600w). Had the buds analyzed. You can see the results there

Thanks for getting back to me but I need to get some scientific studies if any exist. I need to make the argument that LEDs can perform well for growing cannabis and need the scientific studies to demonstrate that.

Latest posts

Latest posts