What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Transcend Lighting: The Next Generation T5 30w LED

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The seeds I created 2 years ago are far more viable than all the gifted seeds.

Fortunately, they are excellent crosses; White Widow, Woody Haze, Bubble Gum, G13...

Already have a number that have cracked far more than the various gifted seeds

And now that I have the palmetto bug issue under control I should have 6+ above ground by Thursday

mowood3479

Veteran
These look really cool but is it $69.95 per tube? If so that's like $500 to retrofit 1 8bulb fixture. Bummer cause I want these but I'm way too cheap to spend that much

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
These look really cool but is it $69.95 per tube? If so that's like $500 to retrofit 1 8bulb fixture. Bummer cause I want these but I'm way too cheap to spend that much

Yeah, that's the rub. Retrofitting a 6-8 bulb hot5 you are probably better off with a full scale LED panel, BUT, they don't cover as much area

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Finally, figured out how to stop the bug/s. I am using a clear rectangular dome that easily fits over a bunch of seedlings and supplies plenty of height, which will allow their stems to harden

The downside being, I need to raise and lower the light to spritz them with water

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good news. A number of my seeds are pushing above the starter cubes

I will take some pics tomorrow

gardener60

Are we seriously talking about $70.00 per tube. So you are mixing a couple of these bulbs with what you already have? I just purchased a 8 bulb 432w fixture. And you say you are killin it with these bulbs.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are we seriously talking about $70.00 per tube. So you are mixing a couple of these bulbs with what you already have? I just purchased a 8 bulb 432w fixture. And you say you are killin it with these bulbs.

Thanks for chiming in!

First, a standard 432w hot5 with quality bulbs does a great job, but the annual bulb replacement cost gets pricey fast. And keep in mind they are not directional, so you are losing a good bit of the 54w tubes, whereas the 30w leds shine straight down on the canopy

Quality hot5s from the aquarium sector run upwards of $30. These leds will last 4-5 years

So, where the upfront cost is high, you save considerable money over replacement tubes, as well as electricity

Previous grow I only had 2 reds, this time I have 4 of each. Now, if I can keep my babies safe from the palmetto bugs, we'll all get to see what 4 of each can do in flower in about a month. I know I'm excited.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
TaDa.

Note the dome which goes on at night as well as day time

Also, note the plastic ICE bottle which fits perfectly into the 3" net pot hole, keeping the water ~ 75*s for hours

I am going to try some Otabs (provides O2 for bait boxes) under the reveg to see what affect it will have on the roots, which are still not growing

I topped the reveg so I could get the light closer to the seedlings and young plant

View attachment 355756 View attachment 355757

gardener60

Thanks for chiming in!

First, a standard 432w hot5 with quality bulbs does a great job, but the annual bulb replacement cost gets pricey fast. And keep in mind they are not directional, so you are losing a good bit of the 54w tubes, whereas the 30w leds shine straight down on the canopy

Quality hot5s from the aquarium sector run upwards of $30. These leds will last 4-5 years

So, where the upfront cost is high, you save considerable money over replacement tubes, as well as electricity

Previous grow I only had 2 reds, this time I have 4 of each. Now, if I can keep my babies safe from the palmetto bugs, we'll all get to see what 4 of each can do in flower in about a month. I know I'm excited.

I am thinking very seriously about purchasing 4 of these bulbs. Let's see what happens.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What will you be using them for?

If for veg I would get one red, for flower- one white

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Moving right along, at last.

Since I need to lower the leds to better cover the seedlings, I moved the reveg to its' own 3g bucket, to which I tossed the remaining packet of O2 in hopes of invigorating root development.

Tomorrow I will move it to its own light (SE 220) and tent

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A couple more seeds grew over night, now transferred to their own coco cups/net pots

Also, moved the reveg to its own tent. Now under Amare Technologies SE 220 (
220w) now I can cut the light it receives back to ~ 13 hours. since it's been continuing to bud under ~18 hours/day it will be interesting to see what effect ~ doubling the amount of light (120w v 220w) and decreasing the hours of light will have

View attachment 356010 View attachment 356011

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This sort of explains why TL T5 LEDs are unique

https://www.transcendlighting.com/store/p5/T5_High_Output_LED_Tube_(free_U.S._shipping).html

The Transcend high output T5 is the latest product to feature in Which LED Lights Smart Productssection. The transcend T5 is a direct replacement for conventional 54 watt fluorescent lamps but consumes 45% less energy and emits slightly more photosynthetic light. The LED T5 is the same size/shape as the fluorescent lamp and works with existing fluorescent ballasts. This means users can continue to use the fluorescent fixtures they already own.

and this on micromoles as the light unit of measure that we are concerned with

https://www.transcendlighting.com/news/what-is-a-micromole

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
New Seeds

New Seeds

Considering all the issues I've had and needing to get rolling, yesterday morning I tossed a bunch of seeds from 2011 that I produced and stored in the refrigerator. My note say Bx1 MySat/Indica.

My guess is I wrote the wrong year because I don't recall chucking pollen back then

Anyway, 6 already have 3mm+ tap roots, and the others have cracked

I took a picture. Will post later

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This morning I pulled the reveg and replaced it with the oldest young plant (in picture before moving it)

All seedlings are now in my DIY Bubble Bath. It is a 24 can cooler. I fabricated a platform using an overhead light grate, under which are 4 @ 4" air stone discs (could be more if I needed them). Water barely covers the grate which provides lots of bubbles to the net pots. They will stay there until they ar big enough to move to F & D totes

A one pound re-purposed HR V + B container is filled with the goop that can be refrozen. I keeps the bath cool all day

View attachment 356920

woolybear

Veteran
that cooler setups is a great idea!

think i'll try it the next time i do hydro. the time from freshly rooted plants into hydro is tricky

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dumped the nutes and used bleach to kill the light algae bloom that was building up on the grate and the cooler walls

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn, something pilfered my newest seeds. Maybe it happened when there was easier access in the SE 220 tent, but I didn't notice when I moved them under the HOT5

Still, I have 8 that have 3+ nodes, 2 on first set of leafs, a couple that may or may not pop, plus, the larger plant under the SE 220

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The plants under the TL HOT5 are doing quite well. Probably will need to begin moving them to individual Mini-Me F & Ds by next Sunday

The plant under the SE 220 (went full spectrum yesterday), is just beginning to develop a nutrient slurping root system, so should take off this week. Also, I needed to add one liter of nutes to contact the bottom of the net pot

View attachment 358119 View attachment 358120

View attachment 358121 View attachment 358122