What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

toxic masculinity

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
all i want is for people to look critically at their feelings/ words/ actions and those of the people around them; am i contributing to rape culture by making an insensitive joke and making light of serious topics? am i acting condescending toward a woman (or anyone) and making her feel like shit? etc etc etc

- Hmmm - I would call that 'common courtesy' having been raised by a woman - she did instil what she called 'common courtesy' - as for jokes - they can be good or bad - it depends if they get a laugh or not - I suppose - because is that not what comedy is all about? - getting a laugh out of the audience - no? -

- making light of serious topics and our differences is the very basis of comedy - so to not 'upset' anyone - my 'common courtesy' has to extend to my comedy? (something that is not serious) - making so much comedy 'out of bounds?' - because it might upset someone - or make light of what you see as a serious topic - could well look like a affront to free speech and expression to me - lol

-

T

Teddybrae

Well I 'm sorry to see your disagreement. Does this jeopardise the Z 99?

seems like im picking on you quoting 2 posts i dont agree with from you teddy , but you post up your thoughts so i guess its aok for me to say what i think ,

firstly the generation you grew up in is how old ??

things changed quite a bit in the ones that followed ,
no its not perfect , but its a far cry from back when we were still riding chariots in your day ,, lol ...

second it wasnt the strongest guys that got all the food ,
it was the smarter ones or we would all be dumb muscular guys ..

lastly , my sister is nutty too , lol ,,

equality isnt about who does what , its more about how we are treated ,

didnt your parents set tasks more suited to your physical strength while your sister did more menial tasks suited to hers , or was she just your slave ??

i dont usually comment on these sorts of threads ,,

its dangerous territory and can be quite revealing...

but figured wtf

ill live dangerously now and then ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Well I 'm sorry to see your disagreement. Does this jeopardise the Z 99?
of course not man ,
it would be boring if we all agreed on everything ,
sometimes having folks with the very opposite of some opinions makes for better conversation etc ,,

im a little left wing in some of my opinions ,
but given where i am i have red neck friends who would not agree with some of my stands on things ,
but it is sometimes for the best , we can sway one another on somethings , open up new lines of thought etc ...

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
of course not man ,
it would be boring if we all agreed on everything ,
sometimes having folks with the very opposite of some opinions makes for better conversation etc ,,

im a little left wing in some of my opinions ,
but given where i am i have red neck friends who would not agree with some of my stands on things ,
but it is sometimes for the best , we can sway one another on somethings , open up new lines of thought etc ...

Yes! That type of discussion is so helpful and useful. Agreeing to disagree and adding food for thought is what this world needs! Everyone wants to teach, few want to be students. We all have so much to learn from each other, being receptive is everything.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
No it is called empathy and compassion traits that shallow white people with penises who thing that this alone is categorically meaningful

it is simply setting a low bar in regards to humanity

remember the Muslim experience in prison?

They did the same thing with religion (manipulated others based on their limited understanding) that white Europeans and Americans do in regards to race, class and sexuality.

It didn't feel right when it happened to you but you have no issue using the same ignorance as an excuse to perpetuate the same.

- Hmmm - I would call that 'common courtesy' having been raised by a woman - she did instil what she called 'common courtesy' - as for jokes - they can be good or bad - it depends if they get a laugh or not - I suppose - because is that not what comedy is all about? - getting a laugh out of the audience - no? -

- making light of serious topics and our differences is the very basis of comedy - so to not 'upset' anyone - my 'common courtesy' has to extend to my comedy? (something that is not serious) - making so much comedy 'out of bounds?' - because it might upset someone - or make light of what you see as a serious topic - could well look like a affront to free speech and expression to me - lol

-

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- If I could understand what you were getting at old chap - it would make things a little easier - as is the case with the majority of your posts - to be honest - they are vague at best -

- From what I can make of it you have some beef with some 'shallow white people with penis's' - so I would advise you to go take it up with them - how 'white people' suddenly came into a thread on toxic masculinity - I'll leave it for you to explain -

- What exactly is setting a low bar in regards to humanity? - Masculinity - or this new buzz-word saying 'Toxic Masculinity?'

- The rest of your message about 'Muslim experience in prison' is unclear - because you don't tell us what this was exactly - and I had several experiences with different faiths when I was jailed -

- and as far as people being manipulated based on limited understanding - well - that's for the individual to fix thru study and education I would presume -

picture.php

No it is called empathy and compassion traits that shallow white people with penises who thing that this alone is categorically meaningful

it is simply setting a low bar in regards to humanity

remember the Muslim experience in prison?

They did the same thing with religion (manipulated others based on their limited understanding) that white Europeans and Americans do in regards to race, class and sexuality.

It didn't feel right when it happened to you but you have no issue using the same ignorance as an excuse to perpetuate the same.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- the real toxicity brought on by males - are in the figures - the violent/abusive stats - and that should make every 'real man' baulk - and take note - it sure made me do a double-take - because that's embarrassing - no, its more than just embarrassing - its OUTRAGEOUS!

- We certainly do need more of the Bonobo societal trait - of peace, love and understanding -

picture.php

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
i wish everyone would watch that 'big bang theory' video i posted earlier in this thread: after seeing that graph gypsy, i think it makes the youtube video that much more apalling.

hollywood/ mainstream tv prove to be some of the worst perpetrators of the toxic versions of masculinity, especially when we look at how overly represented we males are in violent/ sex crimes

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
idon't think wierd understands the english language as well as i, a foreigner. hilarious.
im sure a language expert can explain the difference in meaning between toxic masculinity and masculine toxicity.

it shows a hell of a lot, that the same 2 words just wont do, it has to be the insult to all men that is used to talk about bad male behaiviour. that should tell you everything you need to know about the term and what its really about.

lets just forget the non toxic side of man and make the word man, the same as the word bastard. oh what you don't like that idea? oh well thats because you are a dumb toxic male. there we go full circular argument. NOT!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- Yes - it should be a concern - to all of us whether we are male or female - but how to address it?

- Is this huge disparity in violent/abusive crime between men and women going to be a constant thorn in the side of humanity? - would overcoming it have to involve violence? - Can one only counter violence with violence? - and if so then are we any better than the abusers/violent men who cause so much trouble and mayhem? -

- Obviously we can lay much blame at the feet of the media - and all who have encouraged whatever maleness gets us men so hugely mentioned and over-represented as the instigators and perpetrators of so many heinous crimes -

- Difficult subject to broach - on a mostly male forum site - I expect to hear crickets - lol

picture.php

i wish everyone would watch that 'big bang theory' video i posted earlier in this thread: after seeing that graph gypsy, i think it makes the youtube video that much more apalling.

hollywood/ mainstream tv prove to be some of the worst perpetrators of the toxic versions of masculinity, especially when we look at how overly represented we males are in violent/ sex crimes

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
idon't think wierd understands the english language as well as i, a foreigner. hilarious.
im sure a language expert can explain the difference in meaning between toxic masculinity and masculine toxicity.

it shows a hell of a lot, that the same 2 words just wont do, it has to be the insult to all men that is used to talk about bad male behaiviour. that should tell you everything you need to know about the term and what its really about.

lets just forget the non toxic side of man and make the word man, the same as the word bastard. oh what you don't like that idea? oh well thats because you are a dumb toxic male. there we go full circular argument. NOT!

masculine in this format is a noun thus toxic an adjective

the only things you guys are certain of is your own opinions thus the toxicity

See the whole meaning is when making a point of masculinity for one's self if one does so at the expense of others one is toxic

The inability to acknowledge it is malignant and is very much reflective of the pot heads here who distanced them selves from society because they don't know how to harmoniously integrate

Sadly most people here will smoke more pot and just get angry at my words and post some memes because that seems to sum up the desire and capacities here.

However once you read my words you and get triggered you can only negatively react or abide. The negative reactions will reinforce malignancy, the quickening of which will enlighten you to the very dynamic which I extol.

Attack my character will all the superficial nonsense you want. It won't change the malignancies enforced by marginilized mindsets.

Sad thing is minds can only be self marginilized so all the groaning and gnashing of teeth are nothing but reflections of one's own self imposed limits.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
- Yes - it should be a concern - to all of us whether we are male or female - but how to address it?

- Is this huge disparity in violent/abusive crime between men and women going to be a constant thorn in the side of humanity? - would overcoming it have to involve violence? - Can one only counter violence with violence? - and if so then are we any better than the abusers/violent men who cause so much trouble and mayhem? -

- Obviously we can lay much blame at the feet of the media - and all who have encouraged whatever maleness gets us men so hugely mentioned and over-represented as the instigators and perpetrators of so many heinous crimes -

- Difficult subject to broach - on a mostly male forum site - I expect to hear crickets - lol

View Image

thats so facinating, it seems young men today specially are self hating, but look at the womans side..........ROFLMAO!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
masculine in this format is a noun thus toxic an adjective

the only things you guys are certain of is your own opinions thus the toxicity

See the whole meaning is when making a point of masculinity for one's self if one does so at the expense of others one is toxic

The inability to acknowledge it is malignant and is very much reflective of the pot heads here who distanced them selves from society because they don't know how to harmoniously integrate

Sadly most people here will smoke more pot and just get angry at my words and post some memes because that seems to sum up the desire and capacities here.

However once you read my words you and get triggered you can only negatively react or abide. The negative reactions will reinforce malignancy, the quickening of which will enlighten you to the very dynamic which I extol.

Attack my character will all the superficial nonsense you want. It won't change the malignancies enforced by marginilized mindsets.

Sad thing is minds can only be self marginilized so all the groaning and gnashing of teeth are nothing but reflections of one's own self imposed limits.

ahh so anything i say is proof you are right and i am toxic? ok got it, thanks.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
when people attack my character it screams let me show you the soft white underbelly of my mind

why?

Because the truth of my words betray delusional outlooks leaving those in possession of such things incensed like children.

How many years this been going on?

lol I swear you guys enjoy this and make it easy just so I will do it.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
when people attack my character it screams let me show you the soft white underbelly of my mind

why?

Because the truth of my words betray delusional outlooks leaving those in possession of such things incensed like children.

How many years this been going on?

lol I swear you guys enjoy this and make it easy just so I will do it.

omg, who attacked you personally or your character? when? pls quote the post in question.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
ahh so anything i say is proof you are right and i am toxic? ok got it, thanks.

No I am saying you are wrong and you cherish your ego more than right or wrong.

Prove me wrong by actually listing my points and making direct and compelling arguments why it is misstated.

You are still struggling with nouns and adjectives and haven't done nothing but engage knee jerk reaction defensive. This screams immature and lacks integrity.

These conversations occur productively in many places where this immature behavior isn't seen as right.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
omg, who attacked you personally? when? pls quote the post in question.

You where sure you knew the english language more yet did not counter my points

why?

because it is a tactic to engage emotion and avoid direct dialog on the matter at hand

aka strawmam argument

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
because your point about language is wrong, an adjective before a noun decribes the noun, the whole noun not just the negative parts of the noun.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Remember this is the speakers corner put here to expose the absolute truth

if this causes distributive emotions in one's self one should look in the mirror and assesses their own choices such as asking for this type of thing and then being offended when one gets what one wants.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
because your point about language is wrong, an adjective before a noun decribes the noun, the whole noun not just the negative parts of the noun.

great so masculinity is the noun and toxicity is the type of masculine expression and not a definition thereof.

this means masculinity is not toxic in and of itself but rather masculinity can have a toxic quality

this is the very point I made

lol toxic masculinity does not define all masculinity as toxic but rather adds additional classification to the word masculinity.

Latest posts

Latest posts