What's new

Tourists no longer welcome in cannabis-selling coffee shops

treehuggers

Published: 9 September 2009 10:27

The Dutch government wants to maintain its tolerant policy towards cannabis and keep so-called coffee shops open, but they should no longer be tourist attractions, Dutch ministers wrote in a letter that was leaked to the press on Tuesday.

The ministers of justice, home affairs and health wrote that reducing the number of coffee shops and keeping foreigners out should make it easier to reduce crime and other nuisances the coffee shops are now causing.

A government memorandum on altering the coffee shop policy and other drug-related issues is expected this fall, but the letter already shows where the ministers now stand. They want to implement a members-only system to keep tourists out.
Herds of tourist who buy their drugs in border towns near Belgium and Germany have become a pest in several places and neighbouring countries have expressed their dissatisfaction with the Dutch system.

The Netherlands has been tolerant about the use and sale of weed and hash for three decades. Cultivation and wholesale of the drug are prohibited however. This discrepancy has become known as the 'gedoogbeleid' (tolerance policy).

An advisory committee said in July that the policy has gotten out of control in the past 15 years and needs to go back to small, private shops for local users. It advised against legalising soft drugs altogether.

The ministers want municipalities to implement a members-only system, where members can by up to three grammes of hash or weed each with their (Dutch) bank card. This should make it less appealing for tourists to travel to the Netherlands to buy cannabis. The ministers will also allow experiments where coffeeshops can have larger quantities of drugs stocked. Currently, a coffeeshop can have 500 grammes in store and an alternative supply system via drugs runners is a source of nuisance.

The three coalition parties in the government have long disagreed about the overhaul of the drug policy. Christian democrat CDA had called for an end to the tolerance policy and the orthodox Christian ChristenUnie agreed, but the Labour party PvdA believes banning coffeeshops will not solve the problems of crime, nuisance and health and wants to legalise the whole chain of supply.

http://www.nrc.nl/international/art...nger_welcome_in_cannabis-selling_coffee_shops

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Two of the city completely stop selling

Mayors of two border city of the south Bergen-op-Zom and Rosendal, where the 25,000 tourists coming week due to drugs, especially the Belgians and French, decided to completely stop the sale of cannabis in their eight stores. The decision was made in October 2008. and shall come into force on Wednesday. The controversial measure has caused great debate in the Netherlands about what the results of the Dutch model of tolerance for light drugs.

Information campaigns

Mayors of cities explained that must stop the constant influx of foreign vehicles, hundreds of young people gathering in front of the cafe on weekends and the emergence of illegal vendors on the streets of their cities. Owners of shops have complained because of this decision and sought to abolish it. The court will decide on the appeal on Tuesday. In the meantime, the city government organized a campaign of information over the Internet.

More police officers on the streets

The short films will be shown before the main screening in cinemas, which announce cease selling drugs in their areas. Police will step up from Wednesday presence on the streets to prevent possible occurrence of street drug dealers who would offer drug tourists when they could not get in pubs. Belgian police officers who speak French will come to help their Dutch colleagues.

Translated via googletranslate from http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4682046,00.html?maca=ser-Blic Online-2569-xml-mrs

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Yeah, ok... So basically what they want is people selling weed in the shadows with their little whispers and whistles like they do with cocaine and everything else that's not tolerated. It will end up creating a new black market. Even with the three g's a day limit you could still turn some profit. Get a few buddies together during lunch one day, buy a zip and sell it to the tourists.

Not trying to say that the coffeeshops are the backbone of the netherland's economy, but Amsterdam businesses would definitely feel the hit if they were to do something like that. I'm sure they'd survive but at the same time why take the loss in the first place. Kinda silly - probably trying to keep some UN drug czar dipshit happy.

treehuggers

Sorry I scared you

News in brief

***The Netherlands: Coffee shops
On 15 September a Dutch judge rejected an application by six
coffee shops from two southern towns against their mayors' plans
to stop them selling cannabis. The case had been brought before
the wrong court, said the judge. The mayors of Roosendaal and
Bergen-op-Zoom, both near the border with Belgium, announced
last year that all eight coffee shops in their borders would be
banned from selling cannabis from 16 September on to reduce the
number of cannabis-smoking tourists. (Source: Traveller of 16
September 2009)

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
oh boy, the growers are gonna make a FORTUNE!

(cuz if anyone thinks for a second that just cuz the shop wont sell it to you that no one else will, they is barking mad ;) )

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
If they think 30 years of tolerance is bad? look what over 30 years of prohibition gets you...

The Juarez Border! lol

j6p

:party:

Amsterdam coffeeshops are still happily selling gram after gram of nugs and hash to international tourists. They will continue to conduct business as usual for the forseeable future. The Amsterdam city council and Mayor Cohen support the coffeeshops, and consider them to be appropriate businesses for promotion of international tourism in Amsterdam. The city is in full compliance with the recent Dutch coffeeshop amendments.

Amsterdam's Mayor and city council chose to continue the original coffeeshop model, which allows cannabis sales to all nationalities. Like other municipalities, Amsterdam selects its own coffeeshop option.

The new "Dutch Only" coffeeshop model is OPTIONAL, and available to those locations which want it. The OPTIONAL "Dutch Only" plan was provided to accommodate some small border towns who were repeatedly invaded by swarms of Belgian and German hooligans. Several border towns closed their coffeehouses as a result.

Originally Posted by Amsterdam Local Travel Advisors
Will Amsterdam cannabis cafes soon be a thing of the past? Is the end of the coffeeshops in Amsterdam near? Hundreds of visitors planning their trip to Amsterdam ask us this question.
Don't worry. Amsterdam cannabis cafes, more correctly known as coffeeshops where you can legally buy the famous Amsterdam weed, are not going anywhere in a hurry. (You can find the best in our Amsterdam coffee shop reviews, and locate them quickly through our Amsterdam coffee shop map.)
http://www.amsterdam-advisor.com/amsterdam-cannabis-cafes.html
Originally Posted by Amsterdam Local Travel Advisors
Some Dutch coffeeshops operating in towns close to the Netherlands' borders have been closed down in an effort to prevent 'drug tourism' from neighboring Belgium and Germany. Many local governments operate a zero policy on cannabis cafes, meaning that in lots of towns none opened in the first place.
But the Amsterdam coffeeshop scene faces little threat from this phenomenon. Being located far from the borders of other countries, as well as being a major metropolitan city, with appropriately more liberal attitudes, means that Amsterdam cannabis cafes are not affected by this in the foreseeable future.
http://www.amsterdam-advisor.com/amsterdam-cannabis-cafes.html

THC123

Veteran
this was a law proposal , it hasn't yet been approved and i don't think it will be approved , the dutch know damn well that tourist don't only buy hash and weed but also they eat , drink and maybe buy other stuff like clothes etc

V

vonforne

The coffee shops in some border towns are closed now. Along the Belgium and German borders. It is the towns people that are pushing for this in some areas. The German government is also complaining about the cross border grow ops. They have to grow all that weed some where........and the bordering countries are complaining.

I think that after the the traffic at the borders slows all this will quiet down for a while.

V

J

JackTheGrower

Amsterdam is a place of non stop shops.
The Cannabis tourism is good but for a middle age fellow like myself I am thrilled to have had the experience of Adult Play Time!
Sure I did all the tourist stuff.. It's fun! But too I did the Adult stuff and they were fun too.

I'd guess I'd say the only bummer for a first time, single middle age man visitor to Amsterdam was the lack of live music venues. I know I should accept the current music atmosphere because I am visiting but I am familiar with other music and it was a bummer not to feel at home musically once in 10 days stay,

Anyway I'd suggest the Dutch people keep their identity but make Amsterdam an International Zone and surrender to the Adult Disney Land trade!

I loved it all, I did all I could and I spent a huge amount of cash there. I would have liked to enjoy more of the "Spirit" of "Partying"

daddy fingaz

Published: 9 September 2009 10:27

The Dutch government wants to maintain its tolerant policy towards cannabis and keep so-called coffee shops open, but they should no longer be tourist attractions, Dutch ministers wrote in a letter that was leaked to the press on Tuesday.

The ministers of justice, home affairs and health wrote that reducing the number of coffee shops and keeping foreigners out should make it easier to reduce crime and other nuisances the coffee shops are now causing.

A government memorandum on altering the coffee shop policy and other drug-related issues is expected this fall, but the letter already shows where the ministers now stand. They want to implement a members-only system to keep tourists out.
Herds of tourist who buy their drugs in border towns near Belgium and Germany have become a pest in several places and neighbouring countries have expressed their dissatisfaction with the Dutch system.

The three coalition parties in the government have long disagreed about the overhaul of the drug policy. Christian democrat CDA had called for an end to the tolerance policy and the orthodox Christian ChristenUnie agreed, but the Labour party PvdA believes banning coffeeshops will not solve the problems of crime, nuisance and health and wants to legalise the whole chain of supply.

The problem is not the Dutch tolerance but its neighbours lack of!!

at least the Dutch Labour party have the right idea, a far cry from the UK's Labour government!

Yeah, ok... So basically what they want is people selling weed in the shadows with their little whispers and whistles like they do with cocaine and everything else that's not tolerated. It will end up creating a new black market. Even with the three g's a day limit you could still turn some profit. Get a few buddies together during lunch one day, buy a zip and sell it to the tourists.

Not trying to say that the coffeeshops are the backbone of the netherland's economy, but Amsterdam businesses would definitely feel the hit if they were to do something like that. I'm sure they'd survive but at the same time why take the loss in the first place. Kinda silly - probably trying to keep some UN drug czar dipshit happy.

quite true SpacedCWBY expect for these guys dont actually sell any cocaine! ;)

knewbreed

It will not change except in places that want to change. It is one of the the main sources of money into the country. Even the shops by the schools will stay open. They were talking about this same stuff last year. It is not economical for them.

j6p

I'd guess I'd say the only bummer for a first time, single middle age man visitor to Amsterdam was the lack of live music venues. I know I should accept the current music atmosphere because I am visiting but I am familiar with other music and it was a bummer not to feel at home musically once in 10 days stay
I took a couple of MP3 players loaded with my favorite material when I went to Amsterdam last year. Music was all good.

J

JackTheGrower

I took a couple of MP3 players loaded with my favorite material when I went to Amsterdam last year. Music was all good.

Like Rolling Stones or some other great band kinda all night party stuff.

They had no place like that.

V

vonforne

Like Rolling Stones or some other great band kinda all night party stuff.

They had no place like that.

Yes they do.....it is called the Black and White club. It is in the Leidsplien area....right near the Bulldog. They play the stones and such.

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats some bs,better get back fast before its nolonger the funnest place to get baked(imo)
whats the world comin to?

jack.gh

ICMag Donor
this will not happen in Amsterdam. unless they enforce this policy by military force imho, which will not happen in this country, unless someone else's finger is on the button (like the guys from the new world order) haha.... only in the border towns of the NL where residents have complained about drug tourists creating traffic jams and making noise etc or trying to buy hard drugs on the streets....in these places they have closed some shops to foreigners and for dutchies alike. I dont think they are allowed to discriminate tourists.

what they need to do is legalize the ones that are very responsible and remove the criminal elements of this stuff. said enough..

JamieShoes

Veteran
you say that Jack, but they DID close off an entire housing estate looking for growers :(... some kind of martial law shit right there man :(

thats got nothing to do with tourist policy admitadly, I'm just saying I wouldnt put anything past a government who carries on like that...

jack.gh

ICMag Donor
you say that Jack, but they DID close off an entire housing estate looking for growers :(... some kind of martial law shit right there man :(

thats got nothing to do with tourist policy admitadly, I'm just saying I wouldnt put anything past a government who carries on like that...

yeah you've got a point there. is it marshal or martial law? well what ever it is, the guys looking at housing estates are from SEON and in holland its no secrete that we have one of the most advanced task forces to track down grow operations. they've been very active for a long time now....it's too bad they clean out the little guys and push the production to criminal orgs. anyhows, this task force has nothing to do with future coffeeshop policy.

dutch people will never allow the sale of cannabis to move to street dealers. we've come to far for that now and that would be a real shame for the whole world. not likely to happen imho

JamieShoes

Veteran
not sure so I had to google, I think its martial though .. :)

but right enough, I agree that that particular incident won't have any baring on coffeeshop policy and as you say the Dutch populus in general won't take kindly to politicians medling in what has become the most successful drugs legislation in the known world. Some of you reading this from outside of the netherlands might be surprised to know that most Dutch kids arent the slightest bit interested in drugs and getting high..(generally speaking I mean, I also know plenty of Dutch stoners :) ) theres no "bad boy" romantic element to it for the most part and again generally speaking Holland has some of the lowest numbers when it comes to drug related crimes - which seems almost incredable.

Anyways Jack, I sincerely hope you're right mate and that things will continue to continue for many years to come (read indefintely) :)

merry christmas btw :)