What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've had red foxes walk up & sniff the scent pads on my hunting boots before. just gotta sit still. motion is what scares most critters. if something has been hunted/shot at, scent alone normally sends them on their way. moose - have you looked at the electric "bear fences" before? they are apparently pretty popular amongst those that hang out with bears of various sorts...

moose eater

i've had red foxes walk up & sniff the scent pads on my hunting boots before. just gotta sit still. motion is what scares most critters. if something has been hunted/shot at, scent alone normally sends them on their way. moose - have you looked at the electric "bear fences" before? they are apparently pretty popular amongst those that hang out with bears of various sorts...
Yep. There are those that are battery operated, & those you can run off of battery AND solar.

A fellow I know who lives part-time out in the bush flew back some caribou to town, and apparently didn't do a good job cleaning out the smells.

A large (LARGE) N. Foothills Alaska Range grizzly literally broke the back of his fusealge on his aircraft at the remote strip there. Severely tore the fabric covering, as well.

He acquired an electric bear fence that has a battery, but runs the batteries on solar.

He's likely done a better job cleaning the thing after hunts these last bunch of years, but his plane hasn't been assaulted again, either. Might be as simple as "There's no elephants in my front yard. Must be the pink flamingos keeping them away" kinda' thing, but I figure any tried and tested (preferably by someone else) gadget with promise perks my ears.

Sometimes it's just a matter of acquiring (or not) gear at the last moment. And I think I set a new Guinness Record for that this trip. Pushing the envelope to go for more at the moment.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"pink flamingos" LOL! wonder if they'd keep the tom cat that keeps spraying my garbage can away? worth a try...i'd kill for a chance to wander around and flyfish in Alaska, but the mere thought of grizzly bears would prob keep me so tense i'd fail to enjoy myself. which is actually stupid, seeing as where i am has such a black bear population that they are regularly seen here & surrounding towns. blackies could kill my elderly ass just as easy as a griz, and likely be sloppier about it. i hate drawn out pain. they live-trapped one that bottomed their scales out at 500 lb nearby...at a doughnut shop & pizza place in local college town. huh...:chin:

moose eater

"pink flamingos" LOL! wonder if they'd keep the tom cat that keeps spraying my garbage can away? worth a try...i'd kill for a chance to wander around and flyfish in Alaska, but the mere thought of grizzly bears would prob keep me so tense i'd fail to enjoy myself. which is actually stupid, seeing as where i am has such a black bear population that they are regularly seen here & surrounding towns. blackies could kill my elderly ass just as easy as a griz, and likely be sloppier about it. i hate drawn out pain. they live-trapped one that bottomed their scales out at 500 lb nearby...at a doughnut shop & pizza place in local college town. huh...:chin:
We have more black bear attacks reported than grizzly attacks, and the moose attacks put both to shame.

The moose, the cows with calves in particular, and that pitifully cute long shnozz? Those are the ones that'll kick your butt in a heart-beat, and stomp you into the ground.. All while you're standing there thinking how adorably ugly/cute the poor 'swamp donkeys' are.

Most wilderness experiences are quite safe up here if a person uses their own head properly. Treadwell/Tredwell didn't tread lightly enough, and he personified the bruins at Katmai, anthropomorphising them to ridonkulous lengths. Apparently they tolerated his BS long enough, and in the end (his end) changed up what he'd -thought- the rules were.

Unfortunately, the young woman he took out there believed in him and trusted his limited window of 'expertise.' That trust and his judgement cost her her life... in graphic ways.. Her voice is heard on the final recording... Doing what she could to repell a critter that lives by its wits, claws, and teeth, & probably weighed about 7 or 8 times what she or Tim T. did.
------------------------------------------------
If you wanted WORLD-CLASS fly fishing, my own personal biased recommendation would be out in SW Alaska, anywhere from the area near or around Iliamna Lake or Lake Clark, on down to the tributaries of the major rivers out that way, further SW. Nushagak River, Wood River, etc. (but not the Wood River in the Interior near the Tanana River; not good fishing there unless near the Tanana, and then it's more limited to grayling and pike, though there are salmon (spawned out ususally) in the Tanana by July) (mostly regarded as dog food unless caught further down-stream near the Village of Manley, or further down the Yukon River from there), and if fishing near the bottom with bait, there's burbot. Also known as poor man's lobster when sauteed with a marinade of butter and Seven-Up.

Last edited:

moose eater

My daughter phoned back today after I phoned her this morning, when I was surprised she wasn't sleeping, as she tends to work 12-hour shifts on nights. She had been busy hooking up with a king salmon they were trolling for and she needed to go.

She was out fishing King salmon in Kachemak Bay, out of Homer, Alaska, a town I lived in during the later 1970s, off and on, through about 1980, when I went to Fairbanks to attenhd University, though I continued with occasional trips down there, though fewer of them over the years.

For what ever reason, I mentioned a fellow I'd gone to school with in Fairbanks 40+ years ago at UAF, who was from Homer.

I mentioned his nickname and his last name. Couldn't remember his real first name, but we used to call him 'Space'. Not because of forgetting things, per se', but more due to the era, and 'mind-expanding experiences'... if you catch my drift.

My daughter stopped me, and asked me to repeat the last name of the fellow I was reminiscing about... 'Space' Q*****n. She exclaimed that was the last name of the fellow she was trolling with for king salmon!!

Turns out Space died a couple years ago from kidney failure and diabetes (the 2 can go hand-in-hand if a person isn't cautious about lifestyle choices).

I told her that Space would be laughing loud to know that my daughter is out on a boat fishing king salmon out of Kachemak Bay with his nephew. Small world, even years later, after some of us are gone and dust in the ground.

She sent a picture of him via text, and there's a striking resemblance to 'Space.' He's holding up about a 20-lb. king in the photo. I'm maybe receiving some of that when she and her friend accompanying her to Louisiana pull into the campground at Aishihik Lake. I'll be forwarding that king salmon to a friend in Whitehorse and another in Carcross, one of whom is now on a restricted diet, but I'm told salmon is approved and on the list.

Funny how things work out sometimes. I didn't want to have to explain to US Customs how I came to be in possession of king salmon that was caught in Homer, brought into Canada by another person, and was re-entering Alaska with me. Seemed way too complex a story-line for the average low-ranking peon with a badge, ego, excess self-importance, and a firearm. Best just to eat the fish in the Yukon and save the skepticism that would inevitably be expressed in the stupified gaze of the fascisti at the imaginary line.!! :)

Ca++

I tried 8, but couldn't work it.
95 I just picked up and used, and there was nothing like it before. So if 95 worked at first sight, and 8 didn't work with 20 years experience, it was really bad..
I think the issues with 8 continue to this day. My first gripe was finding my pics was as easy as usual, but you couldn't do anything with them. It was an idiot device. You could view albums, but to try and use your pics, you needed to approach from an entirely different route. A convoluted route to the same place. It seemed pointless having an album view, if you couldn't do anything when you got there. Yet it was the foremost access route. I gave it about a day. It was like your first smart phone, when it's saying 'for the brain function department, press 1' and you don't even have a keyboard anymore. So you poke at it, and the home page pops up over your call, so you have to pull out the battery to end the 50p a minute billing.

Win95 doesn't work anymore. Or I would use it. You know it needed a 70meg hard drive to install properly. Win11 needs 64gig. The math is out there somewhere.. 64000/70= 914 times bigger. To do exactly the same thing. From another angle, todays solid state drives, could transfer win95 into ram, 100 times per second. That kind of boot speed would allow people to actually turn off their PC.

What gain do I actually get from 11 not 95 ? I'm really not seeing it

moose eater

A young attractive Canajun woman holding a lake trout that's possibly 3 times (or slightly less) her age.

I believe this is from Clearwater Lake in Northern Manitoba; a lake I fished close to 30 years ago, near the Big Eddie Cree rez, when I rode my Electraglide over to visit friends in The Pas, Manitoba in the early 1990s...

Not acquainted with the young woman. Her photo is from a lake trout group I'm a member to.

Lakers are also sometimes referred to as 'burp sharks'. If anyone wants to know why, ask. Or, Google likely knows, too.

These days most serious sports-fisherpersons try to delicately release such monster breeders, and eat the pups instead, the little guys that aren't prime genetic breeding stock.

1660673668041.png

Last edited:

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I think when you die you get to go to any time in your life...maybe people aren't there though. And you just explore the time period. I would go to 1984. I would do tons of cool stuff and break into everything. NYC, Los Angeles, Paris. I would grab a yacht and stay close to the coast and make it to Europe. Don't know if I'd have the ability to get to China and Japan. Would just chill in 1984 NYC I guess and find and do drugs and smoke weed and hang out by myself in times square

VenerableHippie

I think when you die you get to go to any time in your life...maybe people aren't there though. And you just explore the time period. I would go to 1984. I would do tons of cool stuff and break into everything. NYC, Los Angeles, Paris. I would grab a yacht and stay close to the coast and make it to Europe. Don't know if I'd have the ability to get to China and Japan. Would just chill in 1984 NYC I guess and find and do drugs and smoke weed and hang out by myself in times square
Fukn hell, Man! I 'd be so sick of the past ... like the inside of my head is a garbage pile. There's stuff in there that is more than seventy years old, including ideas of Armed Old Hippie's elderly ass. In fact there is shit in there that goes back to the ancient Greeks whoever they were. Taught to me by the Education Department. Seig Heil!

I think sometimes I might like to die so's I can get some peace! Sometimes I even praise those people who have enough guts to kill themselves.

And then there's the fukn television. WHAT?! Who decided that was relevant to my life?

And who decided I should drink Cocky Coler? Or take a fukn Panadiol?

OH FUK!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've thought along Doob's lines before. maybe Heaven IS a re-living of the best times of your life, ALA "Groundhog Day" except you never realize it's a circle. the kids DON'T grow up to be monsters, your wife does NOT leave you for the garbage man, etc. the flip side is, of course, pure hell. every day is the day your loved ones die, the house burns down, your wife tells you that your Dads dick is TWICE as big as yours, etc. :chin:

VenerableHippie

i'd bet that most mens idea of heaven and hell have quite a bit to do with their wife...:shucks:
Hmmm ... just lie down on the couch and tell us tell us more, Mr H.

Maybe you could start by telling me if these are day dreams or when you are asleep?

(Note for would be Therapists: That's important you know. Waking or Sleep, I mean, because good old Sigmund considered night type dreams to be "... the royal road to the unconscious".)

Akcherly I was in dream-Canadia last night speaking to a Canadian. We were watching a Driller sink a bore for water. The Driller took a break and I said: "He's having a blow " which is not dirty talk in Australia. It means he's getting his breath back. I asked the Canadian what he would call what the Driller was doing and he said : "Visiting the fridge."

At least that's what I seem to recall him saying ...

(Oh ... AOH ... you mean she is both madonna AND whore? Bloody oath Cobber!)

luposolitario

In the distant nineteen ninety-six, after the Civil War, The cities still upset by it looked at each other And they saw from afar the rising dawn. Four pictures of cats came from far away Wesconsin, One, called Vasellina, the second, Chateaubriand, Born in France, but practically lived abroad, He had made a new life, and had two children. The first, without a right leg and without the left, He practically rode. The third, which was Of the first son of the second bed of the fourth father also known as First Feelings He didn't want and didn't think, but he thought, and said, After the schitarrata I resume. We are the future of this nation. We will populate the world with cats. And indeed so it was, So it was and so it was. They were and still flee, In the nearby alleys, where the balloons go, Where have the dwarves and the escaped gone? From a barrage of machine guns, where the solitary valleys intersect Of the bonzes and the sons of Carbonzi, who introfacchiano, intrufolaro And they can be seen mounting from afar. I don't want to come, answered the other to him, But not to what was underneath the other above A stranger to the one upstairs got into trouble because of a lucky woman That she had been run over by a very wealthy local man, And she took a fortune in general insurance, and she became the owner of Pepsi Cola, She who still drinks today, and she will always drink. But there was blackmail, She took the Pepsi off her, and she was just Cola, and she said "What do we do with the cola?" We take it in, you take it in on you, and I take it on me.