What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I have purchased a 1985 Topps WWF Captain Lou Albano PS just saw a picture of the back - it mentions Cyndi Lauper!!!
s-l400.jpg

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
All mobiles are measured in inches using the decimal system.

In the past, on occasion I had to make build sheets for goods sold to chain stores. The specs from the overseas manufacturers were invariably in metric so I had to convert. That always led to decimal places and I would have to further convert this to the nearest fraction that made sense. The mobile people are just lazy.

VenerableHippie

In the past, on occasion I had to make build sheets for goods sold to chain stores. The specs from the overseas manufacturers were invariably in metric so I had to convert. That always led to decimal places and I would have to further convert this to the nearest fraction that made sense. The mobile people are just lazy.
May I politely disagree? I see the whole U.S. is lazy because it has not adopted Metric which is by far easier to use than feet and inches.

You will not persuade me otherwise because I learned on feet and inches (Imperial measurements) and changed/learned anew when this wonderful country I live in went Metric in 1966.

U.S. quarts are the same as Litres. Why didn't yr founding fathers adopt all French measurements?

moose eater

May I politely disagree? I see the whole U.S. is lazy because it has not adopted Metric which is by far easier to use than feet and inches.

You will not persuade me otherwise because I learned on feet and inches (Imperial measurements) and changed/learned anew when this wonderful country I live in went Metric in 1966.

U.S. quarts are the same as Litres. Why didn't yr founding fathers adopt all French measurements?
3.78 liters to the US gallon. I think you might be confusing Imperial gallons; a whole 'nother measurement.

But the carpenters and trades in Canada still use standard measurements, rather than metric.
Makes for an interesting world.

And for us OCD folks, it gives us something to convert in our minds as we drive endless miles in the arctic, converting metric distances to standard, and back and forth.. The Alcan was still in miles for many years, into the early 1980s, I think.. I remember Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, South Access was mile 918.

Last edited:

moose eater

I just listened somewhat passively (tho' not entirely passively) to my wife engaged in a telephone survey re. our current silly season; the elections.

MAN!!. We've been married 33 years, and together for 34, and it just occurred 'HUGELY' to me, how vastly different we are in our decision-making criteria and methods.

I'm stunned.. Stoned.. err.. something...

moose eater

Batteries on the boat are charged and/or charging currently. (1 done, 1 in process).

Minimal sorting left to do.

Packing for 4 days or so in the bush is a lot easier than packing for 14-21 days. So lots of stuff from the first effort to leave behind.

But tackle restrictions now have me once again going through my favorite lake trout lures (and some whitefish jigs) and making sure they only have single hooks on them.

Packing to have fun, and prepping for such, shouldn't be all that much un-fun. But it tends to be, if travelling prepared.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran

many of us DO use metric measurements. i know how many grams are in an ounce, how many pounds are in a kilo, all kinds of critical shit...:smoke: hey, we DO eat "french fries" too... we're NOT savages, you know. need any Grey Poupon?

Ca++

Your quarts statement highlights the problem well. The problem being, converting from standard index figures and units, to one's that don't comply. With the overshadowing question of why.
Of 195 countries in the world, 3 are not metric. The forward thinking Liberia, Myanmar and the USA. Conversion problems are common. We see them here all the time. Lochheed spent millions of dollars to face plant a probe into the red planet.

Three Berries

I got
Your quarts statement highlights the problem well. The problem being, converting from standard index figures and units, to one's that don't comply. With the overshadowing question of why.
Of 195 countries in the world, 3 are not metric. The forward thinking Liberia, Myanmar and the USA. Conversion problems are common. We see them here all the time. Lochheed spent millions of dollars to face plant a probe into the red planet.
I have no problem using both. I do not like Kilometers per hr or Celsius degrees though. I do like grams and mL:. I also like gallons, quarts, cups, teaspoons and a pinch.....

Reactions: Gry

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Hope you got one. I was doing something on the deck earlier today and one dived bombed off the roof almost giving me a heart attack.
nope, no luck with the big birds this spring. archery season is coming up soon though. turkeys legal game again then. for all of the good it will do ME. i've missed over a dozen with a bow...:petting:

Reactions: Gry

Three Berries

I have no problem using both. I do not like Kilometers per hr or Celsius degrees though. I do like grams and mL:. I also like gallons, quarts, cups, teaspoons and a pinch.....