What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
So, I finally had a chance to really drive my s-s’s Porsche Macan S. Regardless of its identity crises . . .

Is it a sports car?
A sport utility vehicle?
A fast truck . . . ?

. . . it is an amazing beast to drive in a spirited way. It is smoother, faster, quieter and tighter than my 911 ever was, but it will never equal it. The young'uns today will never understand that faster, quicker, neater, better often isn't.

Ca++

BOXING-Who is the best in your opinion?
wassat.jpg

Ca++

So, I finally had a chance to really drive my s-s’s Porsche Macan S. Regardless of its identity crises . . .

Is it a sports car?
A sport utility vehicle?
A fast truck . . . ?

. . . it is an amazing beast to drive in a spirited way. It is smoother, faster, quieter and tighter than my 911 ever was, but it will never equal it. The young'uns today will never understand that faster, quicker, neater, better often isn't.
Totally get it.
I had one of these
iu

140 was casual and effortless. Cornering was mostly composed. No fun at all.

Fun is small and light, on skinny tyres. Preferably RWD.
Hundreds of BHP isn't rewarding. Using every one you have to it's full potential is.

Give me a Miata in the snow, and I'm lovin it lovin it.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
sweet car ^ heres a replica of my first beater rust n all
download (2).jpeg

over 80 was sketchy cornering even sketchier 0-60 took forever and bringing that special lady friend to the back seat for fun time wasnt so much fun small af

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Sportscars and boats, equal holes into which money is thrown.
Most especially British sportscars. Triumph, Jaguar, Morris Minor, etc., etc.

Through blind luck, I bought it when they hit the bottom of their depreciation curve and I held it long enough to benefit from a significant increase. But . . . even though I sold it for double what I paid, I probably only broke even.

And yes, I was very wise to avoid anything British or Italian . . . :cool:

moose eater

Taking up a dispute re. charges from a suspension outlet that sold supposed OE-fitment springs for which the through pins at the bushings needed to be ground down to fit, 2 packages of 4 bolts each, with one package and matched nuts not fitting each other due to the bolts not having the thread pitch printed on the pre-packaged label and the bolts being too long for the job, and the other package of bolts being completely unnecessary. The U-bolts run out of thread before clamping down on the retainer plate on the springs, and the shackles are too wide, despite being the correct part number (a local shop that has dealt with the manufacturer whose parts are involved says they see that same phenomenon on occasion), and now I'm having to dedicate my time to provide an invoice to the bank prove I received them and paid for them, as well as itemizing the problems with the parts.

I'm going gentle on them, charging them nothing for the mechanic's time to grind down the excess lengths on the spring stacks' through pins, and guesstimating the 2nd day air freight on the hardware to less than they paid, asking for a pittance in return, in contrast to the clusterfuck's headaches.

But now I'm also investing time in writing emails, copying and pasting, converting files into PDFs, and typing the novella that describes the fucked up quality control and customer service involved.

The offending company has been aware of this for over a week and has promised to get some sort of resolution.. close to a week ago. Still.. nothing..

I told them this was coming if the dispute wasn't resolved satisfactorily in short order. They said they were waiting on a response from the manufacturer.... a week ago.

So much for 'the customer is always right' and the fact is that I'm going light on them for what I could demand returned to me.

Life and business shouldn't ought to be like this. If I'd practiced this ethos when I was dealing, I'd have likely either been dead or in prison.... Or at least beaten purple.

Last edited:

Ca++

Why did this take me so long to figure out
whysolong.jpg

I always use tents that open at the pots, not the lights. I just hadn't figured a 'one size suits all' method to hold the flaps back.
Sometimes it's the little things that please me the most.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Hundreds of BHP isn't rewarding. Using every one you have to it's full potential is.
first car was a Triumph TR4A, then i had jeeps, then an MGB, another 3 or 4 jeeps, and a Nissan, and ANOTHER jeep. everything but two of the jeeps was a 4 cyl. all of them were fun as hell on curvy country back roads... (y)

• Love
Reactions: Gry

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
first car was a Triumph TR4A, then i had jeeps, then an MGB, another 3 or 4 jeeps, and a Nissan, and ANOTHER jeep. everything but two of the jeeps was a 4 cyl. all of them were fun as hell on curvy country back roads... (y)

There is an old adage amongst vintage car nuts . . . the best cars are the ones that are fun to drive slowly . . .

Any twit can mash a gas peddle in a straight line. Driving the twisties is where the real skill - and fun - comes in. Slamming the gearbox while your arms are throwing the steering wheel back and forth . . . drive it like you stole it . . .

moose eater

On this day, June 25, in, I believe, 1876, General George Armstrong Custer's pomposity and underestimating the opposition due to his racism and elsewise, caught up with him. BIG TIME.

I'm sure someone was exclaiming, "WHERE DID ALL THESE FUCKING INDIANS COME FROM???!!!"

One of Custer's underling commanding officers at that battle was known to wear very long sideburns and a trimmed beard. Instead of exclusively scalping his head, they scalped his whiskers. I'm nearly certain they ended up on a lance.

I previously knew the name of the officer, and the name of the warrior who took possession of his whiskers.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Toronto goes to the polls tomorrow to elect a new mayor. While I am sure that your interest level is close to zero, you may remember our crack smoking mayor Rob Ford. That didn't end well. And btw, his brother became our provincial leader, elected mainly because he was promising $1 beer. I will skip any comment on that piece of work to concentrate on my point: We have 101 candidates for mayor - including a dog. While technically, a dog can't really run, her owner has said that 'when' she is elected, he will change the rules and declare the dog the true mayor. They are running on a no-road salt platform to protect dog's paws. If they include the sidewalks, my dog has told me that the dog will get my vote. Or else. :rasta:

Why 101 people and a dog want to be Toronto's mayor

moose eater

Toronto goes to the polls tomorrow to elect a new mayor. While I am sure that your interest level is close to zero, you may remember our crack smoking mayor Rob Ford. That didn't end well. And btw, his brother became our provincial leader, elected mainly because he was promising $1 beer. I will skip any comment on that piece of work to concentrate on my point: We have 101 candidates for mayor - including a dog. While technically, a dog can't really run, her owner has said that 'when' she is elected, he will change the rules and declare the dog the true mayor. They are running on a no-road salt platform to protect dog's paws. If they include the sidewalks, my dog has told me that the dog will get my vote. Or else. :rasta:

Why 101 people and a dog want to be Toronto's mayor
I say vote for the dog. Self-interest is obvious and limited with dogs, and they tend to have cleaner souls and consciences than most people. And when they're bribed, you can usually see the evidence on their lips or smell it on their breath.

Latest posts

Latest posts