What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Both medical marijuana dispensaries I go to were out of kief...first time in over a year. Usually go to Sira Naturals or Ayr. Went into Revolutionary Clinics over in Cambridge. Close by. Got 14 units of kief for $200. I like the kief...burns differently than I'm used to...no smoke comes out at first but then it like contracts into itself in the bowl and then boom huge hit lots of smoke. Getting it down. Learning to dance with the dragon. My old INSA kief from Ayr burned fast and it's obvious it was dried out. Hmm. Just answered my own question. Sativa hybrid kief this is. Well I'm all set for the month now. Just have to pay rent and get tobacco. Kief! Flowers is a whole lot of combustible leafy material. Haven't smoked flower in like a year or two. How's it going everyone? Mooseater any frozen engine blocks? Going to be -5F here tonight. Wind-chill of -35. Not sure what to do, how to prepare. Any easy suggestions? I live in a brick building. Wonder if all the animals outside will die

moose eater

Both medical marijuana dispensaries I go to were out of kief...first time in over a year. Usually go to Sira Naturals or Ayr. Went into Revolutionary Clinics over in Cambridge. Close by. Got 14 units of kief for $200. I like the kief...burns differently than I'm used to...no smoke comes out at first but then it like contracts into itself in the bowl and then boom huge hit lots of smoke. Getting it down. Learning to dance with the dragon. My old INSA kief from Ayr burned fast and it's obvious it was dried out. Hmm. Just answered my own question. Sativa hybrid kief this is. Well I'm all set for the month now. Just have to pay rent and get tobacco. Kief! Flowers is a whole lot of combustible leafy material. Haven't smoked flower in like a year or two. How's it going everyone? Mooseater any frozen engine blocks? Going to be -5F here tonight. Wind-chill of -35. Not sure what to do, how to prepare. Any easy suggestions? I live in a brick building. Wonder if all the animals outside will die
We were warmer here for most of the last week, with most days above 0 degrees f., but our more recently predicted 3"-5" of snow turned into another 8". Climate change seems to be giving NOAA a problem for the last bunch of years re. accurate predicting in their forecasts.

They run 3 computers and the related models to see what shakes out. The more the models agree with each other, the closer to real the forecast is supposed to be. They've had difficulty with forecasts for probably well over the last decade now; maybe 2 or more. Lots of old 'folk methods' for predicting the seasonal trends are not reliable anymore either.

Time to buy a weather rock, I guess.

Glad you got your kief, Doob.

I got up in the early morning, laughed at a couple of absurd news articles, and had several puffs of my hash, along with a Guinness Extra Stout, in order to get back to bed. I suppose Guinness Extra Stout is somewhat like a religious thing in the area you're in. "Bless the Irish."

Got the annual tax assessment from the Borough 2 days ago in the mail. They'd 'upped' our evaluation notably last year, and again tacked on another (about) $26,000 in increased evaluation this year. Been decades since I let the buggers into the house, but I think in order to put a stop to this nonsense, I'm going to have to invite them back in again. Maybe ask them if they've got a buyer lined up for us at their newly inflated and somewhat unrealistic evaluation.

Last edited:

moose eater

People here in Boston like their Guinness!👍 I used to drink it. 0°F for a prolonged time doesn't sound fun.
Compared to winters of old, I'll take 0 f. in the AM and 3 f. to 10 f in the day-time in February (one of our 2 coldest months) all winter long! :)

We've only had a relatively brief period of -35 to -40 f. this winter, and that was probably less than a week's worth.

While I was up last night/this AM, I took the opportunity to peek at weather in the remote areas in the mountains and elsewhere that offer up decent size lake trout and burbot, and they're more timid temps and weather than we are currently where I am. If that persists, it ought to be a good trip next month.

Need to start getting menu items pre-prepared and into the freezer by early March; shrimp, chicken and andouille jambalaya (a tasty classic), white chicken chili, some homemade pizza slices wrapped and frozen, some Cornish pasties (a tradition for us out there, though no moose meat in them this year or last), some burrito filing (chicken or beef/bison or both), maybe some quiche. Who knows what. The list will materialize as we get closer. It always does.

Last edited:

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Jambalaya!!!! Sounds like you're going to eat good! 👍 Yeah 0°F is too cold for here in Boston man...it's usually like 40. They're saying the -35 wind-chill is the worst in decades here. Hope the critters manage to stay alive. We have a one-eyed turkey we feed...hope it makes it!

moose eater

Jambalaya!!!! Sounds like you're going to eat good! 👍 Yeah 0°F is too cold for here in Boston man...it's usually like 40. They're saying the -35 wind-chill is the worst in decades here. Hope the critters manage to stay alive. We have a one-eyed turkey we feed...hope it makes it!
Solid or non-breathable fabric will block the wind chill factor.

Dress in layers that breathe, and if the wind is kicking hard, that final outer layer can be more dense, less breathable, and you won't feel too much of that harshness.

I rarely wear anything cordura or heavy nylon. I'm a solid believer in old fashioned wool from way back.
But if the wind's being nasty, layer in wool. If you have to, maybe some decent quality fleece, and a thicker less penetrable outer layer.

My best wool socks are made near you; 'Darn Tough'. Double-entendre. Guaranteed/warrantied for life.

First time ever I paid $25 for a pair of wool socks back in the day. More nylon in them to keep snug and if washed properly (no hot water) and hang-dried, they'll last nicely.

I use their tall, knee/calf-height hunter socks that are some of the thicker wool socks they make.

If a pair goes bad, rips, comes apart, what ever, send 'em back in, and they send you a new pair. Haven't had to test that policy yet, but have been told by others it's solid.

Can't beat that arrangement with a BIG stick.

I've got 3 or 4 pairs of them now, maybe 5, and when I die, that'll be a premium bequeathment to any of those receiving gear from me. ;)

Used to regard wool socks as a statement of functional wealth. I guess I still do.

Last edited:

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Glad you've hit the sock jackpot mooseater! I'm actually wearing the ONLY pair of socks I've ever bought...from REI. They're hip. I've heard of Darn Tough! They had commercials for a while...which actually mentioned they were near Boston...I think.
I put a clothing changing? screen up on the porch a while back as a divider against the assholes next door and it's really blowing around. Already had to fix one of its moorings. It's a lifesaver though, the assholes go on the porch and look into my apartment...and like yell in Russian. They play games with the hallway doors too. 90 years old bro. One just whacked its head jacking it's car up. Came back with a cane but that lasted a day. Now leans on EVERYTHING. I need a toke of kief man. Stay cool man👍💨

Three Berries

spy%20balloon.png

moose eater

Glad you've hit the sock jackpot mooseater! I'm actually wearing the ONLY pair of socks I've ever bought...from REI. They're hip. I've heard of Darn Tough! They had commercials for a while...which actually mentioned they were near Boston...I think.
I put a clothing changing? screen up on the porch a while back as a divider against the assholes next door and it's really blowing around. Already had to fix one of its moorings. It's a lifesaver though, the assholes go on the porch and look into my apartment...and like yell in Russian. They play games with the hallway doors too. 90 years old bro. One just whacked its head jacking it's car up. Came back with a cane but that lasted a day. Now leans on EVERYTHING. I need a toke of kief man. Stay cool man👍💨
'Near' in our world (Alaska being 2.5 times the size of Texas) is a relative term. I think they're (Darn Tough) made in Vermont, but I'm guessing that's a shorter drive from Boston than it is for me to drive to Los Anchorage. ("Visit Anchorage: Just a 45 minute drive from beautiful Alaska" :) )

Enjoy your puff. I'm finishing my coffee, then going to convince myself to go and clear the newly arrived 8"+ of snow. I wonder if anyone's ever taken out a contract on a weather man? :)

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I wonder if anyone's ever taken out a contract on a weather man?
not a "contract" per se...but, a couple years ago a nation in South America went so far as to arrest the meteorologists that missed big time on a forecast. they said "bright/sunny blahblahblah" and a BUNCH of people went on picnics etc & drowned in the flash floods that hit. i always figured that someone had altered the expected path of the storm with a Sharpie... :whistling:

moose eater

not a "contract" per se...but, a couple years ago a nation in South America went so far as to arrest the meteorologists that missed big time on a forecast. they said "bright/sunny blahblahblah" and a BUNCH of people went on picnics etc & drowned in the flash floods that hit. i always figured that someone had altered the expected path of the storm with a Sharpie... :whistling:
You never know. I hear that guy travels a fair bit. Or used to. Maybe again, real soon.

Green Squall

Cold enough for you? I can hear the new wood in my deck creaking from the temperature change. I'm gonna bundle up tomorrow and see how long I can last out there.

Last edited:

moose eater

A lot of wool for knitting has oils or other additives in/on it. My wife believes that likely includes lanolin.

She knitted a nice lighter wool hat for herself a little while ago, in between other craft projects.

The German Shepherd puppy apparently has a taste for lanolin and other oils. And she likes string/rope chew and pull toys; apparently sees them as dental floss meets tug-of-war...

The new wool hat has a freshly chewed hole in it.

The German Shepherd looks sheepish and guilty, yet somewhat satisfied with herself. Inner turmoil, I'm sure...

I won't be leaving my good wool hats down low.

moose eater

The sealed beam 12-volt light on my older Honda HS928 track-drive snow blower went out this evening. It's a round metal case, with a pivot at the base. Either that, or it's a wiring issue, stator/magneto issue, or ??? I'll put a volt meter on it tomorrow. I'll charge myself 3 tokes an hour, and hope for overtime.

Not diagnosing it tonight. Like the misfit dentist in Rodolph the Red Nosed Reindeer sang (at least I think it was him) "There's always tomorrow for dreams to come true..." Or, in my case, "There's always tomorrow for the new jobs that seem accrue every time I go out the door!!"

(*Thank goodness fordecent headlamps!!)

Not to mention that lately, if I've cleared the driveway, you can set your watch to the fact that it's going to start snowing again when I'm almost done. It did.. Again..

Hadn't busted an auger sheer pin all Winter, either.

Smoking some hash and drinking a beer with my low glycemic French Roast coffee mocha seemed the thing to do for the snowblowing occasion. Should have waited. Barely touched an auger on the stacked plastic, wire-reinforced rectangular milk crates stacked next to the propane smoker near the trailers, and broke my first sheer pin of the year. Port side. Replaced it.

Same auger found the rags taped to the top of the legs on the 16' fiberglass extension ladder. Another web to untangle from the auger.. No real damage, other than to my ego, as I typically don't do this kind of ignorant shit. Cerainlty not repeatedly in the same night. I'll blame it on the headlight. Though the blame probably more aptly belongs to the hash and the 7% abv 'Oatis' Oatmeal stout beer.... or.. me.

Someone obviously made me drink and smoke that stuff. I'll blame it on them.

So, I'm all done for the evening. It's late. And I think a tequila and pomegranate juice beverage is the proper end to a traumatic evening, albeit with minor damages. That, and a couple more puffs of hash, with some old classic Johnny Winter.

Last edited:

moose eater

had a giant schnauzer that was afraid my wife would hurt her ankles, so he chewed the heels off of her favorite shoes...which did not go unnoticed. :smoke:
I'm betting my wife can knit another hat easier than your wife can put new heels on her shoes. But I don't know that for sure, either.

The GSD's still in childhood, as puppies go. I love her despite her sometimes unintentional destruction of some limited things.. Just as long as they're not MY things...
That said, she hasn't gotten into my hash stash yet, either. That might be both a test of my limits and affection for her, a well as a solution. Not sure yet. Not sure I want to find out.

We have seemingly converted her to eating veggies now, though, like all of our other dogs through time..

Perhaps she merely views the veggies as a garnish along side a main course of wool hats. We'll see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts