What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

worst dog bite i ever got was from a GSD, but i do not blame the dog. it had been harassed by kids in their former home IE rocks thrown, sticks shoved through the fence. etc. so it basically didn't like anyone but the lady that owned it. pretty dog...
They're amazing pups. Brightest by far I've ever worked with.

I've hitch-hiked North America, tens or hundreds of thousands of miles as a youngster, with an old registered Norwegian Elkhound, and she was a great dog in many ways, but the GSD's put most pups I've had to shame where smarts are involved. And I've had pups since I was too young to say the word 'dog'.

Loyalty? Bar none.

One of the few times I got 'grabbed' by a dog involved a GSD next door to us, and the odd part was I was heading over to a neighbor's in NW Pa., to report to the parents of a developmentally disabled student there, who went to my high school, and had been beaten up by a bully.

I was 13 y.o.

When the mother of the home opened the door, the dog lunged at me and caught me. Protectors are protectors, it's their job. But smelling the situation out is really important. It'll keep a person/pet opwner out of court, and friends and neighbors out of the ER.

Many of the GSDs are poorly bred, over-bred, inbred, including white GSDs, and not as reliable in many ways.

This one is good on blood work in all ways, and has no evidence of hip displasia, despite the US-typical sloped back, which can sometimes see the spine turning to mush in later (middle-age) years. A stupid feature bred into them by show folks, and one which stands to leave the dog seriously disabled sometimes.

I prefer the straight back European and Eastern European GSD's with cleaner lineage, but ths pup was, as stated, a quasi-rescue, so we gets what we gets. .

She's a sweetie.

Last edited:

Dime

I don't believe that I have ever heard any other Procol Harum song . . . and because it was recorded with the Edmonton Orchestra, It qualified as Canadian content and so it was drastically overplayed on Canadian radio to fill the CRTC content demands. Therefore, I loathe it . . . :rasta:
I loathe it too but for different reasons,now Conquistador is a different matter.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Conquistador

Ah yes, I forgot about that tune. Another less than favourite of mine. :cool:

In the industry, the 60s, 70s to mid 80s are known as the decades with no bass. Due to the limitations of a phono needle to stay in the groove, pretty much all bass below 80 Hz was truncated - on the masters as well as on the released disc - so most remastered discs are are usually no better. To me, as a picky sob, that makes a lot of that era's music unlistenable. Of course, the first 10 years of digital was less than ideal as well, because engineers had to relearn tracking levels, compression and saturation etc and consumer DACs really sucked. But that's another topic . . . :rasta:

Dime

Ah yes, I forgot about that tune. Another less than favourite of mine. :cool:

In the industry, the 60s, 70s to mid 80s are known as the decades with no bass. Due to the limitations of a phono needle to stay in the groove, pretty much all bass below 80 Hz was truncated - on the masters as well as on the released disc - so most remastered discs are are usually no better. To me, as a picky sob, that makes a lot of that era's music unlistenable. Of course, the first 10 years of digital was less than ideal as well, because engineers had to relearn tracking levels, compression and saturation etc and consumer DACs really sucked. But that's another topic . . . :rasta:
Hi,the drummer was great,perhaps the best of his early era. Even on Conquistador you can hear him standout. He turned down an offer to play in Zeppelin and Bonham got the job.Beyond the two tunes mentioned I couldn't think of a third.

Three Berries

I've got this on vinyl but no turntable. :(

Procol Harum - In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972) Part 1 (Full Album)​

Procol Harum - In Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (1972) Part 2 (Full Album)​

Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale, live in Denmark 2006​

Reactions: Gry

moose eater

The Honda repair shop, supposedly authorized repair and sales with formal affiliation with the factory folks, wants me to bring in my diagram of the repair for the track-drive snowblower, and my parts I have for the repair my youngest son was supposed to do over a year ago.

WTF?

I apparently need to guide a service tech, supposedly trained more so than I am, through a relatively simple job, using Honda's diagrams, which they have easier access to than I do? Service in the USA, or at least Alaska, (no, scratch that, in the USA, as I found it elsewhere very recently) is in the chitter. No chit.

So I'll spend a part of the day sorting Honda parts from other parts for the same machine, but different jobs, and get a diagram to them.

Gotta' wonder if I'm getting a percentage on the job, though?

Traction control on the right rear of my wife's Honda CR-V is grabbing in moderate, loose snow on the road frequently, even in 2nd gear, to the point of nearly stalling the engine sometimes. Not how it's supposed to function. Hoping it's a simple sensor issue.

I think a nap is in order.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Here moose . . . nothing brings a smile faster than a mess of penguins.

penguins-advocate.jpg

African penguin colony in Betty's Bay, SA. And yes, she crossed the yellow line . . .

Three Berries

Mind over matter......

I figure I went through about 80k lbs of rip rap concrete and loose gravel waste so far this year to line my pond bank. Nothing but my mower and the two carts. Bearings and tires went out on the dump cart.

Concrete chunks.jpg

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Mind over matter......

I figure I went through about 80k lbs of rip rap concrete and loose gravel waste so far this year to line my pond bank. Nothing but my mower and the two carts. Bearings and tires went out on the dump cart.

View attachment 18789831
Somebody get this man a tractor with a bucket. He could get hurt that way. Really, a floor jack to lift it?

I like the idea, but what I worry about is weeds and snakes in the rocks on the pond bank.

Three Berries

Somebody get this man a tractor with a bucket. He could get hurt that way. Really, a floor jack to lift it?

I like the idea, but what I worry about is weeds and snakes in the rocks on the pond bank.
There were two that I had to lift with my portable engine crane hoist. Not much room for a tractor. I had a flatbed of 3x4 slabs that we unloaded with a bobcat but no room at the edge of the pond.

Snakes and weeds are there anyway. Turtles/Herons are the top predators. One of my wild cats is an excellent snake hunter.

Reactions: Gry

moose eater

When it rains, it pours.

Had a zone valve motor go tits up yesterday. Had never heard such a sound before. It was clanging through the pipes, resonating like nothiong I've ever heard from a boiler. The motor was trying to open the valve, then hitting a stripped spot of the gear, or ????

I and my boiler guy figured it out over the telephone re. which zone was causing problems, by turning each floor's thermostat down enough to isolate th efloor that was shot, but he was unable to make the trip at that time.

$10,000 boiler (counting easy install with old lay-out), and a Honeywell zone valve motor that's only 2-3/4 years old.

Manually opened the bad zone valve and restrained it in the open position with a piece of garden tie wire, cocked the ball valves beneath and above the zone valve and motor slightly, to restrict the flow when other zones call for heat (not too terribly cold last night; low around +2 to +4 f.), but in the middle of the night the thing popped loose again, and the 'panging' resumed. Let it slide. screw it.

Woke up a couple hours later, no panging, & got up to find the top floor of the house had lost a couple degrees, so I went back, better restrained the manual lever on the zone valve motor in question, and noted the head on the valve motor was HOT(!!). Screw it. It's already shot.

Waiting on a new zone valve motor (or 2). My credit card now feels a bit warm too.

Latest posts

Latest posts