What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

Gry

Veteran

moose eater

"hippys use side door" lol !
There was a sign like that on the old bar in Talkeetna in the early 1980s that had been there a long time.
But it read something like 'Indians & Hippies Use Side Door."

The Talkeetna/Sunshne area was typically good for about 75% support for legalization initiatives back then, including Prop 5(?) in 2000, which called for restitution for those who'd been jailed or imprisoned and lost their possesions to the seizuers that were rampant back then..
---------------------------------------------------------------
Another 2" of snow on the ground last night and the night before. S'posed to be a La Nina winter. We'll see.
Getting colder tonight and the next couple evenings.

Van rolls much smoother now, though the custom made arcrtic-grade high-pressure power steering line that was replaced, came with a custom made leak at the fitting(s), so it's going back. Has a life-time warranty on it, so the primary inconvenience is going back into town in the colder weather w/ 2-wheel drive on that behemoth, and taking the time and fuel to get it replaced.

That, and I was thinking on heading down to the Kachemak Bay/Homer aera to camp on the Spit there, but not with the brake line like that. So.. another delay.. Need to save money anyway, I guess.

The incompetent thieves at the shop in Yakima had installed a thermostat with no gasket, only silicone, and had apparently filled the coolant while the silicone was still wet. Leaking like a seive. Every time I get deeper into that thing, it takes me to a place well beyond shaking my head. I'll call them tomorrow, now that most of my ducks are in a row, and ask them what outcome they'd prefer in their thievery. Options are a good thing, but none of these will excite them in a positive way, I suspect..

Did the total tear-down and cleaning of the large high efficiency HRV here tonight, about a month late or so. Removed both fans and cleaned the squirrel cages with alcohol and a toothbrish, soaked the core for a good while and rinsed it thoroughly, cleaned the pre-flters properly, and scrubbedd the return trim faces of the effluent that had gathered there. Things my absent younger son had committed to doing. Slackardly and disingenuous.

A decent day but still with a lot of proverbial clouds hanging low in life.

The German Shepherd pup got a reprieve from her 'cone' she'd been wearing since being spayed and having another procedure done. She's happy to be free again..

Three Berries

I use to buy balled and burlaped 4 foot Norway spruces for Christmas trees when the kids were little. Then plant them outside after Christmas. Just had to have the hole dug before the ground froze and the soil to refill kept thawed out. Some are 60 foot high now.

Gry

Veteran

Highly Processed Foods 'as Addictive' as Tobacco​

LONDON — Highly processed foods meet the same criteria as tobacco for addiction, and labeling them as such might benefit public health, according to a new US study that proposes a set of criteria to assess the addictive potential of some foods.

The research suggests that healthcare professionals are taking steps towards framing food addiction as a clinical entity in its own right; it currently lacks validated treatment protocols and recognition as a clinical diagnosis.

Meanwhile, other data, reported by researchers last week at the Diabetes Professional Care (DPC) 2022 conference in London, UK, also add support to the clinical recognition of food addiction.

Clinical psychologist Jen Unwin, PhD, from Southport, UK, showed that a 3-month online program of low carbohydrate diet together with psychoeducational support significantly reduced food addiction symptoms among a varied group of individuals, not all of whom were overweight or had obesity.

Unwin said her new data represent the first widescale clinical audit of its kind, other than a prior report of three patients with food addiction who were successfully treated with a ketogenic diet.

"Food addiction explains so much of what we see in clinical practice, where intelligent people understand what we tell them about the physiology associated with a low-carb diet, and they follow it for a while, but then they relapse," said Unwin, explaining the difficulties faced by around 20% of her patients who are considered to have food addiction.

Meanwhile, the authors of the US study, led by Ashley N. Gearhardt, PhD, a psychologist from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, write that the ability of highly processed foods (HPFs) "to rapidly deliver high doses of refined carbohydrates and/or fat appear key to their addictive potential. Thus, we conclude that HPFs can be considered addictive substances based on scientifically established criteria."

They assert that the contribution to preventable deaths by a diet dominated by highly processed foods is comparable to that of tobacco products, and as such, like Unwin, the authors seek clinical recognition and a more formalized protocol to manage food addiction.

"Understanding whether addiction contributes to HPF intake may lead to new treatments, as preliminary research finds that behavioral and pharmacological interventions that target addictive mechanisms may reduce compulsive HPF intake," they state
The study led by Gearhardt was published this month in the journal Addiction, and the study led by Unwin was also recently published in Frontiers in Psychiatry.

Addiction Criteria Similar to Tobacco

HPFs can be associated with an eating phenotype "that reflects the hallmarks of addiction," say Gearhardt and co-authors; typically, loss of control over intake, intense cravings, inability to cut down, and continued use despite negative consequences.

Acknowledging the lack of a single addictive agent, they explain that food addiction reflects mechanisms implicated in other addictive disorders such as smoking.

As such, in their study, Gearhardt and colleagues propose a set of scientifically based criteria for the evaluation of whether certain foods are addictive. "Specifically, we propose the primary criteria used to resolve one of the last major controversies over whether a substance, tobacco products, was addictive."

They consider certain foods according to the primary criteria that have stood the test of time after being proposed in 1988 by the US Surgeon General to establish the addictive potential of tobacco: (1) they trigger compulsive use, (2) they have psychoactive effects, and (3) they are reinforcing.

They have updated these criteria to include the ability to trigger urges and cravings, and add that "both these products [tobacco and HPFs] are legal, easily accessible, inexpensive, lack an intoxication syndrome, and are major causes of preventable death."

For example, with compulsive use, tobacco meets this criterion because evidence suggests that most smokers would like to quit but are unable to do so.

Likewise, write Gearhardt and colleagues, even "in the face of significant diet-related health consequences (eg, diabetes and cardiovascular disease), the majority of patients are unable to adhere to medically recommended dietary plans that require a reduction in HPF intake."

Reinforcement, through tobacco use, is demonstrated by its 'being sufficiently rewarding to maintain self-administration" due to its ability to deliver nicotine, they say, quoting the Surgeon General's report, and likewise, with food addiction, "both adults and children will self-administer HPFs (eg, potato chips, candy, and cookies) even when satiated."

Online Group Food Addiction Intervention Study

Unwin and co-authors want people with food addiction to be able to access a validated treatment protocol. Their study aimed to evaluate an online group intervention across multiple sites in the United States, Canada, and the UK, involving an abstinent, low-carbohydrate diet and biopsychosocial education focused on addiction and recovery in people self-identifying as having food addiction.

"Lots of people with food addiction go to GPs who don't clinically recognize this, or if they attend addiction services and psychiatry, then they tend to only specialize in drugs, alcohol, and gambling. Eating disorder services are linked but their programs mostly don't work for a food addict," Unwin remarked in an interview with Medscape Medical News.

"We feel running groups, as well as training professionals to run groups, is the best way to manage food addiction," she said, reflecting on the scale of the problem, with around 10% of adults in the UK general population considered to have food addiction. In Unwin's study, some people had type 2 diabetes and some overweight/obesity, but she added that some participants were underweight or of normal weight.

Initially, the 103 participants received weekly group (8-24 people) sessions for 10-14 weeks, and then monthly maintenance comprising follow-up that involved coaching participants on how to cope with relapse and get back on track.

Food addiction symptoms were assessed pre- and post-program using the modified Yale Food Addiction Scale (mYFAS) 2.0; ICD-10 symptoms of food-related substance use disorder (CRAVED); and mental health well-being measured using the short version of the Warwick Edinburgh Mental Wellbeing scale and body weight.

"The program eliminates processed foods with a personalized, abstinence food plan that involves education around mechanisms involved," said Unwin, who explained that processed foods deliver a dopamine high, and in response to this, the brain lowers the number of dopamine receptors to effectively counteract the increase in dopamine. This drop in dopamine receptors explains the depression often associated with food addiction.

Last edited:

Three Berries

Look who pushes carbs....

USDA.orginal.jpg

USDA original food pyramid 1992

Three Berries

Now that winter is here my tent in the bedroom is too cold. It gets down to 61F but the real problem is stratification and it's cold at the floor level. Where the tent is sucking in air. Exhausting at 73F today.

So I was thinking of moving the ex fan to the bottom and sucking in air from the top. That would pull the hot air down and also help stir up the air in the bedroom. The fan runs nearly constant at 1-4 speed for humidity at these temps when the lights are on.

experienced

Oh God! It's a worry! It's ALL a worry! Eat, shit, have sex and then die. What a terrible shame it is that we don't live forever.

WHY can't we live forever? I mean, I 'm a good guy aren't I? I don't lie or steal. Why doesn't god like me that he's gonna terminate me one day? Like a fukn slow motion snowflake or a pimple on the arse of affluence or even the latest fashion ... I 'm only a passing phenomenon.

Whoosh! And then I 'm gone ...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Oh God! It's a worry! It's ALL a worry! Eat, shit, have sex and then die. What a terrible shame it is that we don't live forever.

WHY can't we live forever? I mean, I 'm a good guy aren't I? I don't lie or steal. Why doesn't god like me that he's gonna terminate me one day? Like a fukn slow motion snowflake or a pimple on the arse of affluence or even the latest fashion ... I 'm only a passing phenomenon.

Whoosh! And then I 'm gone ...
if you want life to seem endless, get married. time passes much slower if you are miserable...

Three Berries

US Gov pushes carbs.
US Gov subsidizes Big Farmer grains.
US Big Food makes lots of carb loaded junk food.
US Big DR & Hospital treats Type II Diabetes. (not cure)
US Big Pharma drastically increases cost of insulin.
US Big Insurance moans and groans then covers partial cost.
US Big ED researches cause of Type II diabetes.

Rinse and repeat. You are the commodity.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
cans.jpg

This is a picture from a BBC article about a ‘gang’ convicted of importing ganja from Jamaica to the UK in cans.

Don’t the cops own a can opener? Why did they have to use a knife to puncture open the can? Do they think that a can opener opened can looks too wussy and they needed a tougher look for the press photos?

moose eater

instructions too complicated. they used a knife? surprised that they didn't shoot it for resisting...:smoke:
Did they say how they found it?

When we've used cans or sealed jars, weight was a factor. If a person picks up a can, and the label says (item X), and the weight is far different than that item should weigh, it's a giveaway.

Weighting a can(s) with a proper amount of a heavy/balancing substance, leaving room for the items intended, was preferred. Salt is fairly heavy, and is cheap.

moose eater

The latest addition to the guard crew and companion squad, taken this last late summer.

She was picked up as a quasi-rescue pup, after my 'bestest friend ever' GSD passed away on my wife's and my 33rd wedding anniversary; intended to be my pup.

She's since bonded like Gorilla Glue to my wife's hip, follows her unleashed where ever, keeps the house safe, has a deep bellowing bark that says, "Don't risk coming through that door", and has incredible jaw strength. Which, due to lack of structure and training with the original owner, who failed to train her not to play with others with her teeth (a MUST with GSDs), we're training her out of that behavior slowly. (Their molars look, and feel when applied, like shark teeth, and with LOTS of ft-lbs. of energy at their disposal).

She's a sweetheart, going to finish out some where between 80 and 85 lbs. at around 18 months, by all appearances, and loves most people (pheromones depending). She's currently in the mid-70-lb. range. (Not in this pic).

With other female dogs, like our 12-13 y.o. elkhound, she herds to the point of intimidation, acting like some sort of fuzzy gargoyle, but they're slowly, on occasion, becoming play buddies after a long while together. I've had to separate them physically when teeth were locked on throats a couple times, and they know that's an end-all for who ever the aggressor is.. Just like with humans.

Still trying to break her of playing ping-pong with the 20+ yr. old small 14-lb. poodle, but even he rears up sometimes and yells at her when the harassment exceeds his elderly patience and physical wherewithall.

I suspect quite strongly she'll be as good a bear dog in the bush as she is a guard dog in the house most times.

My wife will be in good paws after I'm gone.

Her muzzle is a bit abnormally stout; block-like. I tell her she has a severe case of 'mooselnosis'.

Attachments

• IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0313.JPEG
    IMG_0313.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
worst dog bite i ever got was from a GSD, but i do not blame the dog. it had been harassed by kids in their former home IE rocks thrown, sticks shoved through the fence. etc. so it basically didn't like anyone but the lady that owned it. pretty dog...

Latest posts

Latest posts