What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
i've never heard of restrictions on single action pistols in effect anywhere in the US. ever shoot one of the full-auto pellet guns at carnivals, trying to shoot the star out of a paper card? i'd like one of those, and a big-ass air compressor on my carport. :good:
With a huge air compressor you could just use one of those cattle bolt guns and corner critters then bolt them in the brain 👍

Green Squall

can you elaborate on this? news to me too...
Bizarre, isn't it? I'm not in the market for a revolver, but was just checking out the price of a new a Colt SAA out of curisoity and it said Restricted in MA. After looking into it on some shooting forums, apparently it has to do with the lockup mechanism/lack of a transfer bar. Now I guess there are a few loopholes...if you can find a revolver that was manufactured before October 1998 AND it was registered in the state prior to that date, you're good to go. Unfortunately though, guns manufactured previous to that date that were not registered in the state are NOT legal for sale here. Second, having a Federally Issued Curio and Relics license will allow someone to buy certain guns which aren't normally for sale in MA.

There is however one exception. Single Action Rugers are available, as they have a transfer bar mechanism and loading gate interlock.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
lockup mechanism/lack of a transfer bar.
so they've noted a safety issue RE dropping the pistol with a round under the hammer. got it. that model has been made for almost 150 years , and damn near everyone that had one was bright enough to only load 5 chambers. NOT being that bright could result in tragedy. old-time cowboys supposedly kept their "burying money" in the 6th chamber of the cylinder...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i wonder how they deal with the thousands(millions prob) of firearms made before 1968, when guns first had to have serial numbers? some companies had gone to serial numbers long before, but not all. you can't register a gun with no numbers...

moose eater

i wonder how they deal with the thousands(millions prob) of firearms made before 1968, when guns first had to have serial numbers? some companies had gone to serial numbers long before, but not all. you can't register a gun with no numbers...
My single-shot, long-barrel 1935 Remington Model 33 .22 with the original Weaver B4 ('pencil tube') scope on a diagonal side-mount N3 (?) Weaver mount, has no numbers on it.

Gun-metal gray, blued finish long gone, and 20-25% of the rifling shot out of it in the outer third of the bbl., but resumes threading from the 'void' to the exit of the muzzle for more than several inches.

Still takes head shots on our thieving arctic red squirrels.

Green Squall

No idea. Legal to own, but I assume legally transferring it to another person might pose problems. I think inherited guns have to be reported as well. All of this is absurdly unnecessary imo.

moose eater

No idea. Legal to own, but I assume legally transferring it to another person might pose problems. I think inherited guns have to be reported as well. All of this is absurdly unnecessary imo.
Short of class III stuff, here, when you want to give a gun to a person, and the person is legally permitted to possess them, you just give them/it to them. No paperwork, no questions, no filing with anyone.

The more people in a given perimeter/geographic area, the more laws to enforce the hopes of them behaving civilly toward each other.

Then there's the people who take off with an idea and a schematic, and leave reasonableness and functionality in the rear view mirror straight outa' the gate.

In grad school it was an author by the name of Stein, who wrote child welfare books, who postulated that if we continued to 'cook' up the points on a rubric or template of sorts, as to what constituted a truly healthy home for a child, we could eventually conceive of a template that had all sorts of idealistic points of what such a home or family might look like, but in the end, no one would have a family or home that truly resembled the schematic..

We can take any concept to the point of making it so ideal or 'perfect' in re. to built-in error factors or variables, that nothing in reality compares to it, and it becomes somewhat baseless... pointless, even.

I also believe that some of the SA revolver bans or restrictions in some of the Eastern Seaboard states resulted from the 'cap and ball' revolvers, with their black powder function, not technically being registered in places that required such of modern revolvers, and your stipulations in Ma. MAY involve that genre, as well.

Can't recall for certain

Last edited:

Three Berries

Stagecoach attack.gif

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
From that same incredible album by Jackson Browne was a song that I always really connected with. I was never a roadie but I have setup hundreds of trade shows and so I really empathized. Fly in. Set up. Work show. Knock down. Pack up. Fly out. And repeat . . .

I saw him play it a couple times in SoCal with the Section back in the day.

moose eater

Sadness might be defined as having a fine 4-cheese (somewhat sharp in flavor) cheese sauce, but no healthy pasta to put it on. No buttered bread croutons. Nothing like that.

Guess I could also bake a spud in the microwave, and put cheese sauce on that.

Or, for that matter, sadness might be defined as having a really nice organic pesto sauce, complete with ground pine nuts, basil leaf and olive oil, while lacking any healthy pasta in the house.

Why was healthy pasta not on my last grocery list?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I also believe that some of the SA revolver bans or restrictions in some of the Eastern Seaboard states resulted from the 'cap and ball' revolvers, with their black powder function, not technically being registered in places that required such of modern revolvers, and your stipulations in Ma. MAY involve that genre, as well.
cap& ball revolvers not considered firearms here in TN. i'm not sure as to how the feds might view them IN RE felons in possession though.
Short of class III stuff, here, when you want to give a gun to a person, and the person is legally permitted to possess them, you just give them/it to them. No paperwork, no questions, no filing with anyone.
just like here. feds talking about restricting inheritance of guns without the heir passing a background check. and, under certain circumstances, i can understand that line of thought. i mean, if you cannot legally buy/own an AR-15 or Glock for example, why would it be legal for grandpa to leave you his?

moose eater

cap& ball revolvers not considered firearms here in TN. i'm not sure as to how the feds might view them IN RE felons in possession though.

just like here. feds talking about restricting inheritance of guns without the heir passing a background check. and, under certain circumstances, i can understand that line of thought. i mean, if you cannot legally buy/own an AR-15 or Glock for example, why would it be legal for grandpa to leave you his?
I believe trusts may be the answer to your second scenario.

Re. the 1st, some states have restricted cap & ball revolvers in the past. I think Ma may have been one. Perhaps Ca. too.