What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

Sounds like a really nice home for a bear family. :cool:
I think they'll like it a lot. Right up until they see the rent-due notice. We don't evict non-paying, squatting bears when they're doing a reverse Goldie Locks. We can them in pint jars. :)

A shop in Chiliwack can install a Kenwood CD/AM/FM deck in the van for me, and hook it up to existing speakers, or install new ones, for about <$400 CAD; Or just over $300 USD.

The Canadian Tire in Chilliwack has vented 20 and 25 liter fuel jugs by Scepter, and cheaper than the self-venting (piss-poor performing) jugs we're now able to purchase.

There used to be a Pakistani fellow in Chiliwack, near where a friend's adult son used to live, and about 20-some years ago(+/-), a person could enter that quick-stop and score some hash or flowers, a pipe, fuel, a snack, etc., if things flowed smoothly .

No idea if that place is still there, but based on the available items I'm still considering for the trip, I may end up in Chilliwack for a day or so.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Here you go . . . just off of the Trans-Canada in Chilliwack. Everything you need.

chilliwack.jpg

moose eater

fast food, Starbucks, SEVERAL liquor stores...yup, all you need, right there. :good:
Just a stereo, some decent fuel jugs (size large in Canada; their 25 liter jugs are a bit over 6 US gallons, and they still allow their sources to manufacture them with separate venting and gasketed plugs!! HOO-FUCKING-RAY!!!!), maybe some mineral water, a 20-oz. soda bottle to use to accurately mix my 60:40/-55 f. antifreeze into an emptied 1-gallon distilled H2O jug, perhaps a healthy loaf of whole (sprouted) grain bread, and some fuel.

Speaking of which. I did a brief appraisal of fuel prices in Chilliwack!! Holy SHIT!!. More expensive per liter than what I paid in the extreme north end of the Alcan Hwy at Beaver Creek, Yukon Territory in August, when I paid $2.29.9/liter for premium fuel.

I might not have seen it correclty, but Chilliwack was 'asking' $2.49.9/liter at one Gas Buddy site online, or, not quite $10/CAD for a US gallon of 3.78 liters, with $1 US getting $1.38.8 CAD as of this morning at xe.com (WAY the fuck up; good for me, bad for them, but also before the bank takes their parasitic 3% for the foreign purchase fee).

It's not enough the bastards are who they are on Wall St., but now they want to charge you for making them a profit, too, all the while upping their rates to amounts that were literally illegal not that many years ago.

My wife returns from the source of the van this evening, late. She's gathered nearly eveything I asked her to have waiting for me at the van.

The shop's still finishing up the very long hit list on the fixes and maintenance. My wife's mother is putting about $3k, +/-, into fixing up a van I could probably sell tomorrow for a quick $15k, fairly easily with the current demand for these things, and she's selling it to us for $4k.

For the moment, I feel pretty fortunate.

Now to get it home without ending up sitting in the middle of nowhere with broken, brittle vacuum lines or something similar.. things that rot over the years, 24/7, while ozone chews on them.

Onward and upward.

Last edited:

moose eater

This is Tim Horton's country. ;)

And yes moose, gas is outrageous. It is our sin tax that gets tossed on anything fun - gas, booze, cigs, cannabis . . .
With my dietary restrictions, Tim Horton's is a form of suicide.. potentially literally.

Used to love a buttermilk crueller, or a glazed apple fritter, sometimes a cream cheese danish, or even old-fashioned cake donuts or fancy cream puffs, but there's little to none of that in our diets anymore. Playing catch-up with the mortality awareness game.

There's been some decent health food stores, country farm stores, and co-ops I've encountered in Canada, and if I happen to take Hwy 97 north, up through Omak, Washington, into Osoyoos, B.C. at the Border, then up that way, toward Kamloops, but sticking to the Okanogan Valley as long as possible, then there's awesome fruit harvests that just went on, over that way, and apt to still be a good number of roadside fruit and veggie stands.

(*Helped a trucker who'd picked me up thumbing that highway in 1978, load a semi in Omak with cases of apples, due to no one being at the warehouse when he arrived to load. Scored a case of apples out of the deal, that, along with my old Norwegian Elkhound pup, accompanied me into Osoyoos, B.C., Canada that trip. Canada Customs was so busy looking for dope in all sorts of brain-dead obscure places that defied logic, that the obvious commercial-size case of verboten apples escaped their view apparently. Funny shit).

Anyway, cherries are almost as bad for me as donuts, but playing Rainier Cherry Roulette might happen a time or 2 this trip if I go that path. "All things in moderation, including moderation..... and maybe alterations, too".

moose eater

This is Tim Horton's country. ;)

And yes moose, gas is outrageous. It is our sin tax that gets tossed on anything fun - gas, booze, cigs, cannabis . . .
... hookers?

Pragmatic question. Does it also cost more to get out of a scrape with an RCMP than with a US State Trooper?

By the way, what confused me, unless it nvolves proximity to the Coast for shipping via barge, and tanker afterward, is that fuel in Prince George, B.C. appears to be cheaper than fuel in Chiliwack, and in some cases, premium was coming up cheaper than mid-grade or regular? WTF?

Granted, gasbuddy (which I rarely use) relies on self-reporting by individuals who sign into their respective systems online, so there's certainly room for delays in updating pricing, or even accuracy in folks' reporting.

By all appearances, premium fuel in Whitehorse, Y.T., has gone up a bit, but not outrageously, since I was there last, and my conversion to US dollars appears to have me paying about $6.50 USD/US gallon/3.78 liters, in Chiliwack.

I can likely live with that, though it does cast a more inviting glow on the ferry. Providing they still have an outside 4-berth stateroom left and room on the car deck for the van.

At this point the van's not finished, and the boat sails the 19th of October; next Wednesday. I land where the van is early afternoon on the 17th; Monday... One of those 'down to the wire' moments of anxiety generated by someone else, in great part. They may make it so taking the boat isn't even a realistic option, if they wait too long. Can't make reservations for THAT amount of money, and not even be half-sure that I can make it there in time to load and undock.

Though there's another boat out of Bellingham on the 29th of October, and one out of Prince Rupert BC on November 7th, though I think I have a Doctor's appointment on Novemeber 3rd. Not like they've provided any amazing insights, ao I could always cancel and/or reschedule. In any case, either back-up ferry offering is later into winter than I already want to be...

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Ummm. Doughnuts. I was going to point out that we still use the ough but then I went to Tim’s local menu online and they use ‘donuts’ now. Oh well, more culture obliteration. Imho Krispy Kreme beats them for glazed with their gooey bites of warm goodness. I used to stop at KK occasionally on road trips when I wasn’t too rushed. I like Tim’s apple fritters, cherry cruellers and French cruellers - and everybody loves TimBits - but we really only stop once or twice a year . . . despite the startling fact that on a map we have 19 locations in our immediate area. That’s a shitload of coffee and donut peddlers.

moose eater

And personally, I would take the ferry. But then, I have survived a lifetime of winter driving as a road salesman, so I just feel that I have risked life and limb enough times.
I'm tempted to take the ferry, to save wear and tear, second-guess the possibly compromised vacuum lines, and other parts that may or may nt be close to ending their lifetime due to varous causes, and because of the price of fuel, etc.

Down-side includes the ferries not having air filtration, dsitributing air from the same soure to all rooms, without being reassured yet that oneroom's air isn't being forced into another (customer service person couldn't answer that question), the food on the boat sucks, it's a 3.5 to 4 day run from Bellingham Wa. to Haines, Alaska, eating out of a cooler for that long, in a stuffy room, with a non-opening window, and wearing a P100 under a surgery mask when ever I'm out of the room, doesn't sound entertaining to me.. But I'm still thinking about it.

Again, if they don't finish the van in time, like no later than then the morning of Tuesday, 10/18, then the 10/19 sailing is out anyway. And I'd be stuck either waiting on the 10/29 sailing from Bellingham, the 11/07 sailing rfom Prince Rupert, or back to square 1, and driving the whole distance.

Old former friend from Whitehorse called while I was on the phone with the airline. Wasn't able to take the phone call due to my long-distance carrier's fucked up circuitry to Canada most times lately.

Seems Murphy has me in another conundrum.

Any lithium battery-powered devices have to be carried in the cabin in carry-on, with the battery either properly installed in the device, or, especially if an extra battery, separated from other batteries and devices in an acceptable storage container of what ever sort.

Traveling long-distance through Canada I carry a satellite phone in a Pelican case, and a power pack (battery booster, for jump starting dead batteries or charging a cell phone, etc.), as well. Both items run on lithuium batteries, and the sat phone has a spare that's inside the case properly stored in a foam slot that was cut out for that purpose.

Trouble is that when I arrive in Seattle, I have just over an hour to get to my departure gate, the 2 restricted devices and extra battery are in my carry-on as required, but the overhead bins in the Bombardier Q400 (Dash 8 type affair) are tiny, and won't likely provide sufficient space for the carry-on bag with the devices to fit overhead.

All well and good, as the flight crew will simply take my carry-on at the boarding steps to the plane on the tarmac. But for the fact that any lithium batteries or lithium-battery-operated devices have to remain in the cabin in the carry-on.

So at this point, if they require it, I'll need to forfeit my carry-on at the plane in Seattle, remove the 2 Pelican cases from it, leaving it looking limp and a bit empty, and then I now have TWO carry on items; 2 Pelican cases, plus my personal item, and NOW I'll have 2 checked bags.

"Do I get charged for the second checked bag?"

"I'll have to ask another department."

"No, you won't be charged."

(*We'll see how that pans out in reality).

Then I needed an answer re. TSA's requirements for gun case locks on checked bags. Seems they backed off of having special locks that have a special TSA key port on them for the gun case, but they apparently reserve the authority to have the passenger unlock the case and produce the firearm.

These conundrums make an already tense trip to have a LOT more tension than it really needed.

moose eater

Buy the tubing before you go for peace of mind
Yeah, I can likely get a roll of the vacuum tube/line, and cut to length any that cause a problem.

The bigger hurdle is finding the leak and knowing which tube to replace. Sometimes obvious, and other times a search for the Holy Grail.

But if I have it on hand, I can at least take a stab at finding the problem and fixing it. If I don't have the ube.. not so much.

Need to score a decent multi-volt tire inflator/portable compressor. Perferably one that has good reviews for longevity, and functions at least on 12v DC, 110 or 115 volt AC, and maybe even a lithium power option like DeWalt puts on theirs.

Finding one that endures for more than a few years is a trick in that hunt, however.

Thanks.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
near death experiences...those are the rewards for living versus mere existence. if you never think you are about to die, you never really appreciate life. i have, in my old age, stopped going out and doing stupid shit while in search of that particular rush....:shucks:

Latest posts

Latest posts