What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I believe trusts may be the answer to your second scenario.

Re. the 1st, some states have restricted cap & ball revolvers in the past. I think Ma may have been one. Perhaps Ca. too.
police here don't GAFF about cap & ball pistols. oddly though, if it is a C&B rifle, the cap/primer must be removed in a vehicle going to or from hunting, or between spots. game and fish guys get upset over shit like that... seems like something is lost in translation.

Green Squall

cap& ball revolvers not considered firearms here in TN. i'm not sure as to how the feds might view them IN RE felons in possession though.
Most States don't consider anything made before 1899 a firearm. New Jersey is the only one I can think of who does. I think there might be a couple others. Still probably wouldn't be a good idea for a felon to own one though.

A handful of years ago I bought an 1895 Chilean Mauser carbine in an auction and it was shipped directly to my house. Its a damn fine gun too. Not all matching, but its in excellent condition and looks like its barely been used.

moose eater

Most States don't consider anything made before 1899 a firearm. New Jersey is the only one I can think of who does. I think there might be a couple others. Still probably wouldn't be a good idea for a felon to own one though.

A handful of years ago I bought an 1895 Chilean Mauser carbine in an auction and it was shipped directly to my house. Its a damn fine gun too. Not all matching, but its in excellent condition and looks like its barely been used.
Curio & Relic stipulations, I assume.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Mausers made from German blueprints are good firearms no matter where manufactured. i want one myself, in 7 x 57 mm. LOTS of 8 x 57 out there...or a 1903A3, i'm not picky.

Green Squall

Mausers made from German blueprints are good firearms no matter where manufactured. i want one myself, in 7 x 57 mm. LOTS of 8 x 57 out there...or a 1903A3, i'm not picky.
Yup. This one was made by Ludwig Loewe in Germany and is chambered in 7 x 57. Also got an Argentine one in 7.65 x 53.

Back in the good ole' day before my time, apparently you could buy these old surplus rifles from mailorder magazines for next to nothing.

moose eater

Yup. This one was made by Ludwig Loewe in Germany and is chambered in 7 x 57. Also got an Argentine one in 7.65 x 53.

Back in the good ole' day before my time, apparently you could buy these old surplus rifles from mailorder magazines for next to nothing.
$20 and no restrictions on shipping. Curio & Relic allowances.

Every hippie in backwoods Yukon Territory had a British .303 back then, with a detachable magazine.

The Jungle Carbine with less wood and a flared muzzle brake/flash supressor was the sought after version.

I still have a sporterized Brit .303 from Santa Fe Arms, with an after-market monte carlo stock and a rolled, chromed bolt. (*we stuck a Remington Scout Scope mount on that, with a Leupold 2.5 FX2 Scout Scope in 2.5x, for up close in the brush, though not as effective in that role as a .45-70 lever gun in a carbine model.

Various French-made semi-auto surplus rifles (can't recall the description), (Mosin Nagant?), and others were available by mail-order back then, as well.

The older fellow I stayed with briefly in Northern Michigan, out in the Yellow Dog Plains, had his 1903 .30-06 from when he was a flag honor guard in WWI. It stayed oiled in a padded wooden box in the back room, under my cot he afforded me.

Last edited:

moose eater

i've read several times that more moose were killed with a .303 than anything else. probably true!
Very close in ballistics to a .30-06, using 180 grain jacketed soft point factory hunting ammunition in both cases.

Either way, more than sufficient for a kill on a moose with a well-placed shot.

A fellow at a relatively redneck/conservative outdoors site I once frequented online for a limited frequency and period, had a signature bloc/logo that read, "If you can't kill it with a .30-06, hide!"

While a source of a good chuckle a time or 2, I think he's correct... depending on marksmanship, of course..

Green Squall

$20 and no restrictions on shipping. Curio & Relic allowances.

Every hippie in backwoods Yukon Territory had a British .303 back then, with a detachable magazine.

The Jungle Carbine with less wood and a flared muzzle brake/flash supressor was the sought after version.

I still have a sporterized Brit .303 from Santa Fe Arms, with an after-market monte carlo stock and a rolled, chromed bolt. (*we stuck a Remington Scout Scope mount on that, with a Leupold 2.5 FX2 Scout Scope in 2.5x, for up close in the brush, though not as effective in that role as a .45-70 lever gun in a carbine model.

Various French-made semi-auto surplus rifles (can't recall the description), (Mosin Nagant?), and others were available by mail-order back then, as well.

The older fellow I stayed with briefly in Northern Michigan, out in the Yellow Dog Plains, had his 1903 .30-06 from when he was a flag honor guard in WWI. It stayed oiled in a padded wooden box in the back room, under my cot he afforded me.
They seemed to be popular in Canada as well and the Rangers used them up until 2015, when it was retired/replaced.

Haha, I too have a sporteried Lee Enfield (No. 4 Mk. 1) - It belonged to my great uncle, who lived in Fairbanks, and had to give it up after getting slapped with some felony convictions. It ended up with my grandfather and was subsequently forgotten in a closet, until I recovered years after his death. I may have told you this story before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself. The old war horse bolt guns get me excited lol.

Mosin's are Russian bolt actions, so I'm guessing it might be something in the MAS family. You can Google these catalogs and take a look at the offerings. They were selling everything under the sun back then from bolt action, semi auto and even pistols, at dirt cheap prices.

Someday I might sell the two Mausers, good condition Pre-1899 guns only appreciate in value, but I'm gonna hang onto the Enfield because I consider it a family heirloom.

--------------
Ok, I'll shut up guns now lol. None of my friends are really into these old relics, except my brother, so its nice to talk shop about them now and then.

moose eater

They seemed to be popular in Canada as well and the Rangers used them up until 2015, when it was retired/replaced.

Haha, I too have a sporteried Lee Enfield (No. 4 Mk. 1) - It belonged to my great uncle, who lived in Fairbanks, and had to give it up after getting slapped with some felony convictions. It ended up with my grandfather and was subsequently forgotten in a closet, until I recovered years after his death. I may have told you this story before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself. The old war horse bolt guns get me excited lol.

Mosin's are Russian bolt actions, so I'm guessing it might be something in the MAS family. You can Google these catalogs and take a look at the offerings. They were selling everything under the sun back then from bolt action, semi auto and even pistols, at dirt cheap prices.

Someday I might sell the two Mausers, good condition Pre-1899 guns only appreciate in value, but I'm gonna hang onto the Enfield because I consider it a family heirloom.

--------------
Ok, I'll shut up guns now lol. None of my friends are really into these old relics, except my brother, so its nice to talk shop about them now and then.
Yes, the MAS-49, I think, upon looking.

They were renowned as a suitable semi-auto moose rifle that could be thoughtlessly tossed into the bottom of a canoe and not thought about too much, yet still function when called upon; not unlike the AKs.

I had a milled Yugoslavian/Slovakian SKS that was pre-ban (pre-Clinton ban), with a milled receiver, not stamped.

For the SKSs back in the period, in which they were selling such things for $50 to $70, it was a very nice specimen. But not very functional as either collectibles or weapons of domestic warfare might be considered. An Edsel of sorts..

The sporterized .303, I picked up near Spokane during grad school, a number of years ago.

They replaced the barrel, the sights, the bolt was chromed and rolled, and the stock. A pretty decent rifle for what I recall was about $150 back then, with the aforementioned improvements added later on.

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
A funny story that was told to me by a cohort. He was working for a guy who built and marketed some crazy expensive hifi products. The guy was a real piece of work . . . a full-of-shit anal narcissist who micro-managed the business and trusted no one. He still does very well selling his fairy dust coated products btw. Anyways . . . he had a girlfriend who frequently dropped in. One day when he was out, she stomped into the building and with everyone watching she went into his glass-walled office and slapped a big rubber dildo onto the middle of his desk. And then without saying a word to anyone, she walked out the door and they never saw her again.

moose eater

A funny story that was told to me by a cohort. He was working for a guy who built and marketed some crazy expensive hifi products. The guy was a real piece of work . . . a full-of-shit anal narcissist who micro-managed the business and trusted no one. He still does very well selling his fairy dust coated products btw. Anyways . . . he had a girlfriend who frequently dropped in. One day when he was out, she stomped into the building and with everyone watching she went into his glass-walled office and slapped a big rubber dildo onto the middle of his desk. And then without saying a word to anyone, she walked out the door and they never saw her again.
Was there a betting pool on the intended message?

"Fuck yourself for a change." (??)

"You're a pussy. You might need this."(??)

"I've traded you in..." (??)

No one asked her about delivering any message to the guy?

moose eater

Mechanics (a term used loosely in this case), allowed their middle-aged service writer to practice on my m-i-l's class B camper van.

She apparently is having a difficult time reading invoices and correlating charges for parts, versus charges for services.

They had her van in late summer, and installed a new AC compressor... poorly.. left it with leaking ac fluid due to poorly installed or sealed o-rings behind the compressor. Charged her again last month to seal their fuck-up, and noted in the invoice that the service didn't include a recharge of the system(!!) Brazen motherfuckers!!

Same-same on a set of valve cover gaskets; charged to install them in later summer, and again charged to install them last month.

Sold her 3 u-joints for a driveline that requires 2.

Poorly installed the u-joints, both forward and rear (at the transmission cone output and at the pinion yoke).

Had a shake and friction noises of different sorts that would not replicate upon the visit back to the shop the morning I was supposed to have been on the road North, other than for replicating a distinct lower-gear transmission shudder..

Found out in the Yukon Territory that the half-moon clamps on the rear pinion yoke were used, but no internal c-clips, thus, it was determined that the high-frequency vibration I'd been experiencing as it increased its range and circumstance of presentation, was the result of the cap on one u-joint walking out a bit from under the half-moon clamp, blowing out the seal in that cap, as well as breaking/bending (destroying) a needle bearing from that cap on that leg of the u-joint.

Had my driveline let go at high speed, things would have likely gotten very interesting.

When I'd first arrived the night before my planned departure (they had the van for all of 2 weeks, and I'm honestly not sure of what the fuck they were doing, other than I know they were waiting on a new oil pan to correct damage caused by another incompetent shop), the coolant reservoir was EMPTY.. No, literally empty, but for less than a half-ounce, below the pick-up tube in the reservoir..

I asked what the mix ratio of coolant was, as we run a 60:40 ratio for close to -55 f. in the anti-freeze, and that was what I'd asked them to do. The younger (actual mechanic?) replied, "Oh, probably 50:50.".

I told him that was unfortunate, as that was not what I had requested, and my m-i-l had told them at the outset to listen to, and abide by, my check-list for what needed assessed or repaired/replaced.

Guy brought out anti-freeze concentrate (undiluted) and poured straight coolant into my reservoir, THEN went inside and inquired as to what it had been mixed at.. "60:40." he was told..

Upon start-up of the van, and turning on the defroster/heater fan motor, it sounded like the Ak Marine Hwy Ferry coming into port, putting out a bearing or bushing rumble at +55 f. in Yakima. At +6 f in Tok Junction, Ak. it was a fair bit more persistent. They knew it was fucked and apparently didn't care.

As I was describing the preference for synthetic oil, the younger mechanic told me that synthetic oils in older vehicles would blow the motors, stating that in his experience there was no difference (for example) between the older Slick 50 bs, and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

Older mechanic/owner corrected him, but insisted the pour rates in extreme cold showed no difference in 'oil' versus synthetic oils. I told him we'd done cold weather pours of synthetic gear lubes and motor oils, both, and while there were some notable differences between some of the higher end synthetics when compared among themselves (Royal Purple, versus others, or Amsoil, as 2 examples of better pour rates at -30, -40 or -50 f.) the synthetics typically responded to changes in temp more rapidly, and stayed more fluid in colder temps..

It occurred to me I was among amateurs who were thieving miscreants and didn't know as much as I did in many cases, and I was indirectly paying them, and leaving my proverbial throat bare for the vulture-looking bastages.

I told them the hour was late, and I had brought down silicone heating pads to install under the battery, RTV'ed to the oil pan, and RTV'ed to the transmission pan. I told them that my prefernce re. an actual freeze-plug block heater was to have it installed up North, as more folks were familiar with that task up North than down there.

That's when the younger mechanic who'd allegedly only installed the oil pan, piped up and said, "Oh, the van already has a freeze-plug heater installed. We didn't trace the cord to see where it goes, or check to see if it functions."

Say WHAT??!! You know the vehicle is going to the Sub-Arctic, on what may be close to a 3,000 mile cruise, and you didn't see fit to examine the freeze-plug block heater?? Or even trace where the fucking cord travels to?

Nope.

The .90 cent marker light they were to have replaced.. Not done.

O-ring still leaking slight amounts of tranny fluid at the speedometer cable attachment. It's a hand-tighten affair that a new .20 cent o-ring would likely fix. 5 minutes, maybe..

I'd asked them to place a good thermometer inside the top of the radiator with the cap removed, and to note at what temp the coolant began circulating; a common practice in assesing function of a coolant system. They'd been asked to confirm a 195 or 205 f. thermostat. Install one if not one of those 2 in place already.

I've run such thermostats in nearly every 4-wheeled, road-legal vehicle I've had up here for going on 50 years, and the temp coming out of the defroster on this thing was not even close to what a new 195 f t-stat would produce. Again, lying, cheating, thieving, lazy-ass motherfuckers!!

Heat shield under the chassis, between the catalytic converter and the propane tank/system.. hanging by a thin piece of baling wire, with 5 Robins screws blown out through the tin. I fixed it myself in Whitehorse, Y.T.

The list goes on and on, but I'll depart from this novella now.

Suffice it to say that there's at least ONE shop in the Yakima Valley, that if you break down on the way through there, keep on driving if you can.

And they imparted this level of fraud and incompetence upon an 80-something year old woman with early-stage dimentia from Alzheimer's.

This is apt to be a job for Guido.

And yes, we got photos of the bullshit we discovered in Whitehorse.

I'm told the shop has refunded some of the money to my m-i-l, but not sure how much, and if I had to guess, it is apt to be woefully inadequate, in light of the criminal actions by these opportunistic and poorly-skilled asshats.

The New America of Econiomic Desperation and Forfeited Integrity. A thief on every corner, and someone else's chicken in every pot.

Last edited:

moose eater

Sad.

Sorry to hear it.

I'm depressed to hear how far reaching the regression of our society has progressed geographically.

I was sincerely hoping it was just the Midwest.
Yep.

She's (my m-i-l) not likely to want to engage in any battle, legal or otherwise.

So it leaves me pondering which avenue of recourse is perferred in this case.

She's the primary customer, and I was most inconvenienced or put at risk by their misbehavior.

Could file in court. Small claims? Personal injury? Who knows? Long, drawn-out process, and they'd likely hedge and pull an economic retreat of sorts.

Then there's (maybe) several ways to make more sure of them not being able to do this shit to someone else. And that avenue can get creative. Numerous options down that path, but no breadcrumbs to be left, either. Gets dicey that way, too.

It just bugs the bejeesus outa' me that there's so many fucking scumbags and sheisters, from white collar scum, to blue collar scum, and all points between, who escape due karmic moments. Makes a guy wish for greater creativity in responses.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts