What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

Three Berries

From that same incredible album by Jackson Browne was a song that I always really connected with. I was never a roadie but I have setup hundreds of trade shows and so I really empathized. Fly in. Set up. Work show. Knock down. Pack up. Fly out. And repeat . . .

I was a sound man for a local bad for about 5 years. it sucked. Then sound man for a vocal choir group for 10 years. That sucked worse.

moose eater

dang shame to just let her die when she's trying so hard...
Upon re-evaluation last night, she might also be a Goji OG off-spring.

Didn't dig her up last evening, and we were in the +20's f. again, with a bit more snow last night. Colder, as there's no 'bonding' of wet snow to objects or windshields, making it easier to clean up, but also colder.

Ended up still putting snow tires on my wife's vehicle last night until about 9:45 P.M., in the darkness with headlamps. Lovely shit.

Today the van title and registration go into our names, as well as acquiring a trip permit for the van, and a Canadian insurance card.

Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System from Bellingham, Washington to Haines, Alaska, with a private outside state room (meaning outer row of state rooms with a non-opening window) with a shower and private bath, the van and I, comes to a bit over $2,500, but would leave 675 miles with 2-wheel drive from Haines to Fairbanks, then south to our place.

Picking up a ferry out of Prince Rupert, British Columbia with the same size state room and ammenities, also operated by AkMHFS, is just over $1,300, but instead of driving a mere 220-ish miles to Bellingham, I'd be driving a little over 1,100 miles to Prince Rupert, BC, but literally shaving $1.00/mile from the initial quote.

Not sure what I'd be best doing. May spring for the ferry transport, but there's no air filtration on the ferries, and the distribution to one room is the same as to another; recirculation factors unknown, and the ferries were once fly-paper of sorts for COVID, kinda' like the cruise ships were.

Likely having good uber-sticky studless winter tires sent to the van today from a reputable and fast shipping online source, as well as ordering in a heater and defroster fan blower motor with squirrel cage, and sundry other parts or supplies that might come into question.

Gut's in knots at this point. My wife's leaving tomorrow to head down and wrangle the parts and tasks I need done before I show up to drive off into the Fall sunset (getting tires mounted once they arriev down there, acquiring injector cleaner and anti-freeze, getting shelf stable food stuffs into the vehicle, road flares, as well as getting to see her mother for the first time in nearly 12 years or so. Had thought it closer to 20, but my memory was incorrect.

Onward and upward!!

Good large diameter, bucked, lengths of mature wind-downed white spruce to pull out of the lower property today, as we won't be gathering wood with 4-wheelers down there for too much longer now. Then any motation down that way to remove wood will require snowmobiles, and it's a bit tight in some spots down that way...

Last edited:

moose eater

Does anyone else shave with an electric razor? After 20 years, maybe 30 years of shaving, I was gifted a Braun Series 7. Best shave ever. Anyone else?
I didn't used to shave at all. Sported a sometimes-trimmed beard and 'stache for years. But COVID changed all of that, and I shave every time I head into town now, in order to get a good seal on the mask.

I rarely use my electric razor, but it's a rotary 3-head Norelco of more common variety. Doesn't do as well as I'd like.

I've looked at the Braun electric razors, especially with the 'line', side-to-side(?) style. Haven't yet sprung for one, but thinking about it.

Still using foam and the old trusty Gillette Mach III, though the 'Harry's' razors look interesting, for an old-school manual type.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
That's an ambitious trek moose. Especially with winter starting. Whenever I look at google maps and realize how crazy far north you are . . . :cool:

I have always loved driving. As a kid, we were always driving somewhere distant, so I guess it was absorbed.

moose eater

That's an ambitious trek moose. Especially with winter starting. Whenever I look at google maps and realize how crazy far north you are . . . :cool:

I have always loved driving. As a kid, we were always driving somewhere distant, so I guess it was absorbed.
Driving is comfort food in motion; the sound of whirring rubber/(siliconized whatever) on pavement.

Meditative in nature. Seriously.

When we lived in Valdez, more than a few times I'd ride my Electraglide FLHS into Anchorage (308 miles), eat lunch at a favorite Chinese restaurant, get the left-overs to go in a to-go box for the saddle bag, shop, and return that same day.

Other times we'd go up, all of us together, camp in my wife's Chevy Suburban some place out of town toward the mountains, then complete the trip in the AM, and be able to make a bigger haul of goods on the way home. 2 young kids and 2 dogs, along with 2 adults, and still plenty of room for sleeping in that old rig.

Many folks up here, especially those in outlying areas, tend to be accustomed to driving greater distances, if for no other reason than the State's spread way out, there's few roads, bargains are to be had in urban centers, as well as better restaurants and arts, (as a rule though not always). .. and the scenery is great, once you get away from the cities.

I'd pull my FLHS over at Matanuska Glacier Stream, or in that vicinity, at a favorite spot where I could park the bike off the road, and walk around behind a knoll, spark a doobie, eat the remainder of my Kung Pao chicken or spicy Szechuan squid, then hit the trail again, bobbing and weaving over the hills and curves.

I just wish this current trip were in August, or even September.

The savings of the $1,100+ dollars by driving to Prince Rupert instead of Bellingham to board the ferry is attractive, if it weren't for the fact that it leaves Prince Rupert 18 days later than the boat I'd otherwise take out of Bellingham (assuming I don't drive the Stewart-Cassiar), and that puts me 18 days further into Winter... in (rear) 2-wheel drive...

Had a really close call yesterday with with my truck while in 2-wheel drive, hitting some serious wet glaze ice while I was speaking with my older son, then found myself partially sideways, in the wrong lane at 55-60 mph, with oncoming in the distance, cussed myself out briefly, cut the phone call off for a moment, and slowly, cautiously corrected. Cleaned a fair bit of plaque out of my arteries in that adrenaline-filled moment, in my estimation.

Just the wrong season to be motating long-distance through the mountains with rear-wheel-drive, and 2-wheel-drive at that. I forsee a potential role for the Lorazepam collection. :)

Last edited:

moose eater

Yeah, 4 wheel drifting on a highway is never recommended. Here, everyone thinks all season tires really are. Fools.
We now run Bridgestone Blizzaks on everything we have, and avoid 2 situations... the fine they can render for failing to remove studded tires or studs before date X, and stopping reasonably well without studs on most winter surfaces. They're the best 'soft' siliconized compound in a winter tire we've found for traction on slick surfaces. Though nothing really grabs like chains on wet, soft ice like we had here 2 days ago.

I'm having a set of 4 Blizzaks delivered to the house where my wife will be staying. Other parts on order as well; extra enclosed blue-white-beam headlights of the old-school composite variety, fuel cans, flares, anti-freeze, back-up blower/defroster motor and squirrel cage fan wheel, brake fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, etc.

The vehicles are mostly running Cooper AT3's of the newer variety in the Summers., 'newer' meaning as of a year or so ago. They're a great all around warm-season tire, but on wet ice, and with a critical moment of not paying close enough attention, they nearly wrote my epitaph for me.

Three Berries

Morning rainbow before more rain.

Morning rainbow.jpg

moose eater

2 sets of tires, 8 in total, now headed for the place in Washington. My older son just jumped into a major debt on a new compact car, and he's intending to make some money driving, so, heading into winter, and the dealership outfitting him with crappy all-season tires, I asked if while I'm down south, he wanted me to pick up a set of Blizzaks for him as well. So both orders should be at the location of the van tomorrow morning.

Weather forecast across Canada, for the preferred route (should I drive the whole way) looks pretty decent. Most places (not all) are warmer in the day, and about the same as we are at night. And we're suppposed to warm up ever so slightly locally, here.

Need to find out what kind of stereo system is in the camper van; nearly 3,000 miles of AM radiio might lead to some sort of highway fatality

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
nearly 3,000 miles of AM radiio might lead to some sort of highway fatality

I was strangely the opposite. I was in the audio biz ffs but when I got in a rental, the radio always stayed off. I knew it would be shit quality anyway and in a strange car, in a strange city, I just started to keep it off so I could concentrate on the mania around me. I was always focused on my TomTom anyway - with the crazy cool custom rasta voice that I found online. He was gruff and all of my passengers were always entertained listening to him order me around. I even took him overseas and – most of the time – he did the job very well. There was one ugly incident approaching Piazza Armerina that he initiated and to this day, I am stunned that I did what I did and the car survived without a scratch. I was sucked into the vortex of a Sicilian hilltop town for half an hour of vehicular hell. At the end of that day however, even my wife grudgingly admitted that I was a damn good driver. Of course, she has never said it again . . . ever.

Green Squall

Does anyone else shave with an electric razor? After 20 years, maybe 30 years of shaving, I was gifted a Braun Series 7. Best shave ever. Anyone else?
I've come to really enjoy the daily ritual of shaving. Hot water, shaving cream, aftershave...wakes me up better than a cup of coffee.

@armedoldhippy Nair burns like a motherfucker. At least that's how I remember it. It makes me laugh hearing about it though because when I was in 9th grade, we went on a cruise and I needed to "smuggle" some weed onto the ship, so for some reason I got the dumbass idea to double bag an 8th or so and put it into a Nair bottle lmao. I thought I was such a genius, when in fact, I could have just put it into my damn pocket.

Green Squall

The compostage with the mostage.. In this case, what appears to be a relatievly healthy, somewhat wild, likely White Lotus #4 (or other WL)

My 'compost squatter' White Lotus...

She was snowed on hard yesterday and last night.

She's been frosted HARD 5-6 times now, and at least 2 times, if not 3, she has been into the mid to lower 20's fahrenheit.

I'm beginning to feel compelled to dig her up, maybe tonight after putting on my wife's snow tires, and transplanting her to a warmer climate; indoors. The shock of someone actually taking care of her, however, might just kill her.

And I hate to bring ONE plant into a box; it's wasteful of both electricity and time.
This plant is calling out to you in some way. You should give it a new home and see what happens. Its funny sometimes how things work out in life.

moose eater

This plant is calling out to you in some way. You should give it a new home and see what happens. Its funny sometimes how things work out in life.
She's looking a bit more sad today. A lot more 'bit'. :)
We didn't get a whole lot warmer here today than the mid-20s f., and her leaves have changed in color, to that lime skin green that idicates the cell structure is breaking down and fluids are mixing in there with little separation.

She's still erect today, but she's looking a fair bit saddened.

I may stick with an earlier thought, that with everything that's up in the air at the moment, lighting up one box for one plant wouldn't be the best decision I've made, but at least I could probably answer the question about what she is, upon reaching maturity. Distinct differences in flavor, effect, etc., between the WL and the GO.

In the interim, I received a fairly thorough run-down on the progress with the van.

Compression test is reportedly really decent, and reflective of the VERY low miles... and between the shop hearing what I said, re. what to look at, but perhaps missing the fact that I wanted to know what they found, not have them dive in immediately and start fixing EVERYTHING, and my in-law who's selling it, wanting to make up for past bad blood and spread the love by fixing everything out of their own pocket, we're seemingly about to receive a thoroughly inspected and repaired vehicle, at 1/3 of blue book, without factoring in the market demand for these things right now.

It could likely be sold for about 3.5 times what we're being asked to pay for it.

I just need to figure out how I'm getting it home, with limited wear and tear on it and me.

But things are moving ahead.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
road trip, road trip, my turn to roll one...:smoke:
Need to find out what kind of stereo system is in the camper van; nearly 3,000 miles of AM radiio might lead to some sort of highway fatality
i'd drive off of a cliff or miss a bridge or something if subjected to that much bad music and talking heads...:petting:

moose eater

Van's waiting on a new oil pan.

Figured out what the cap was on the old pan's oil pan drain; an aftermarket (similar to Dorman) repair plug, for when someone strips out the threads on the drain, or it spins because the seal or weld let go. Instead of a proper fix, a person can install a larger cap that ersembles a radiator or gasoline port cap on the top at the handle, but underside it has a butterfly nut on a threaded bolt, and the underside of the cap has a larger ribbed rubber surface to seal against the pan.

Which explains why there was weird multi-colored sealant spread all around that area.. The things leak, are a risk for accidental removal, etc.

Not a proper fix for that situation, and considering the fairly simple fixes for such problems that are available, someone was either pressed for time, lacked a little bit of money, was lazy, didn't want to tell the owner they fucked it up, or the owner didn't want to invest in a proper fix. Who knows.

It's getting a proper fix now; new oil pan, gasket, synthetic oil, etc.

I'll need to winterize the tiny potable water tank on the thing when I get there, as well as using some RTV silicone to affix some silicone heating pads to the oil pan, transmission pan, and the battery base, then run those cords through the engine area, zip-tying them as I go, then joining them into a 3-into-1 12/3 all-weather extension fitting to zip tie to the grill area. Otherwise it ought to be nearly ready to drive away in.

Looking at the weather along the route for about a week from now, and most of it looks fairly reasonable, though there's a winter weather advisory for the eastern Alaska Range and the Tok Jct area for today, maybe into tomorrow, calling for a foot of snow.

Still not sure if I'm driving the whole distance, or getting on an expensive ferry. Guess I'll know when they tell me the thing's ready to go at the shop..

They are putting my Alaska tags on it today, along with 4 new Blizzak tires.

May have to wait until I'm in Canada to stop and have a steeo installed, and maybe pick up some decent 5-gallon fuel jugs.

May also score a fishing rod and reel, as well as limited tackle for small trout along the roadside through the trek; especially along the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy. Rainbows and cut-throat trout, especially, through that stretch, and some of the ponds and lakes there I haven't fished in nearly 30 years.

Back to packing and cleaning up the remainder of stuff in the yard.

Last edited: