What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

VenerableHippie

I got

I have no problem using both. I do not like Kilometers per hr or Celsius degrees though. I do like grams and mL:. I also like gallons, quarts, cups, teaspoons and a pinch.....
I need to confess I still use both. Almost like can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Especially re miles per gallon. I used to know that 40 miles per imperial gallon was an amazing number achievable only by small european vehicles. Now I have no idea which numbers represent 'economy'.

I get 600 k's from my 60 litre tank nowadays so that's an average of 10 k's per litre. The math required to convert that to miles per gallon boggles me ... and if after a tankful if I get hold of a pen and paper and actually do the math ... I forget the result in a day or so and remain none the wiser. Converting Celsius into Farenheit and vice versa is even more difficult.

(Something good that's happened in a search for fuel economy is the turbocharger. I have a 2.5 litre engine (about 160 c.i.) and once the revs pass 2000 my car goes like a rocket!)

moose eater

I need to confess I still use both. Almost like can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Especially re miles per gallon. I used to know that 40 miles per imperial gallon was an amazing number achievable only by small european vehicles. Now I have no idea which numbers represent 'economy'.

I get 600 k's from my 60 litre tank nowadays so that's an average of 10 k's per litre. The math required to convert that to miles per gallon boggles me ... and if after a tankful if I get hold of a pen and paper and actually do the math ... I forget the result in a day or so and remain none the wiser. Converting Celsius into Farenheit and vice versa is even more difficult.

(Something good that's happened in a search for fuel economy is the turbocharger. I have a 2.5 litre engine (about 160 c.i.) and once the revs pass 2000 my car goes like a rocket!)
600 kilometers, multiplied by .612 (miles per km), gives you miles per tank of 600km.

60 liters divided by 3.78 gives you gallons per tank, and thus, mpg.

There are your variables for your equation.

But liters or gallons, $2.29.9/liter CAD for premium fuel in Beaver Creek and down the Northern Stretch of the Alcan toward Haines Junction is WAY too much to pay for decent fuel, even during a war.

VenerableHippie

3.78 liters to the US gallon. I think you might be confusing Imperial gallons; a whole 'nother measurement.

But the carpenters and trades in Canada still use standard measurements, rather than metric.
Makes for an interesting world.

And for us OCD folks, it gives us something to convert in our minds as we drive endless miles in the arctic, converting metric distances to standard, and back and forth.. The Alcan was still in miles for many years, into the early 1980s, I think.. I remember Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, South Access was mile 918.
Well. There ya go! 3.78 litres,eh? Trust an OCD person to know that!

My math was based on a 50 gallon drum of fuel where you are being called 200 litres here.

And you are paying A LOT for fuel. Your money is worth more than ours and we're paying 2.15/L for diesel. A bit less for unleaded (10% ethanol) but heaps more for 98 ron.

moose eater

Well. There ya go! 3.78 litres,eh? Trust an OCD person to know that!

My math was based on a 50 gallon drum of fuel where you are being called 200 litres here.

And you are paying A LOT for fuel. Your money is worth more than ours and we're paying 2.15/L for diesel. A bit less for unleaded (10% ethanol) but heaps more for 98 ron.
Yep, liters to Imperial gallons is a much more clean transition or conversion. US gallons are a bit shy of the Imperial gallons.

Those prices are Canadian fuel prices.

Here at home, after the built-in discount at the members' warehouse in town, I'm paying about $4.65/US gallon/4 quarts at Costco. Maybe a bit less today, now that the headlines are reflecting ground having been re-gained in Ukraine. Speculators and all that, and their influence on the markets. Wall St. and London, by any other names.

The OCD helps, but not as much as living in 2 worlds parts of the year.

Out of 2 years of French 1 in language arts in highschool and middle school, I learned far more skills at conversion and relation, or translation, living in the Yukon Territory in the 1970s with conversions to metric in process, and the French immersion programs in the schools, as well as legal cases and common-sense decisions resulting in bi-lingual labelling across their Country.

Last edited:

Three Berries

I too have a turbo car. 2L 4 cylinder. Gets 34 US miles per gallon unless I use the turbo. Goes like hell. And surprisingly quite reliable with 135k miles on it and running great.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Out of 2 years of French

Only 2? I took 9 in PS & HS. It turned out that I was very adept at languages. I roll my R's really well . . . :cool: And this French - although not really conversational level - has helped me in my career and in my travels. When you get south of the Atlas in Morocco or in Essaouira on the coast, English gets rare but French is understood. I found the same in Portugal. You would think that Spanish would be the 2nd language but for the older generation, it was French due to the historical animosity between the Spanish and the Portuguese. And at my job, I became a master at translating Frenglish - which is English poorly written by a French speaker.

moose eater

Only 2? I took 9 in PS & HS. It turned out that I was very adept at languages. I roll my R's really well . . . :cool: And this French - although not really conversational level - has helped me in my career and in my travels. When you get south of the Atlas in Morocco or in Essaouira on the coast, English gets rare but French is understood. I found the same in Portugal. You would think that Spanish would be the 2nd language but for the older generation, it was French due to the historical animosity between the Spanish and the Portuguese. And at my job, I became a master at translating Frenglish - which is English poorly written by a French speaker.
When I was in high school, French was considered an International language, from the UN, to foreign countries that not only spoke their own languages, but (GASP!!) required their schools to teach at least one, if not 2, additional languages, as they did in the Netherlands.

The US has been that pompous that we not only reject multi-lingualism a lot of the time, but seem to be somewhat (humorously) pissed off that not everyone speaks English.

Last edited:

moose eater

My wife discovered a cannabis plant growing in our compost this evening. It frosted last night. She said she thinks it's a skinny leaf' when I asked about the width of foliage on it.

Headed out now.

The 'spent' dregs from extractions efforts have gone out there, and I'm not sure what else?

If it's from the spend dregs from making THC-A extract, then it could be a seed from any one of maybe 8 strains (+/-).

Hmm...

Maybe used potting soil that had a seed from a lower flower drop to the soilless mix?
---------------------------
Edit: Looking at the leaves on the thing (bushy little bugger, with -very- healthy stalk, perhaps going on 2 ft. tall, with limited branching though some, and little more than a very green cannabis smell to the stem-rub I gave it) I'd guess it to be a White Lotus, likely a number 4, or WL4. Has that peculiar shape and setting to the leaves that my WL4 had.

Now there's an invitation from my wife to 'grow it out and see'.

Hate to run an entire box for one plant, so this looks like it may soon accelerate and expand into another experimental effort. More Kashmiri Azad, Soul Mate, and perhaps some of the recent Captains Connection orders; either the Blissful Wizzard BX1, or the Wizzard Express? Maybe some Bomb Lemon Diesel? Lemonado?

I'll give myself a couple more weeks or so and see if I can get fishing and a moose knocked out (less likely than years past), then see what's going to make it from the seed collection into a soilless mix, to keep this 'lone stranger' from the compost company.

Last edited:

Ca++

I like BHP, but not that a 500bhp car in the UK, is faster than a 500bhp car in the states. Simply because our horses don't match. However the other standards are not used exclusively enough to really settle on which one's the winner. However I know I don't need to use BHP scientifically. I know to not even say how many I have squeezed out of my 4 pot turbo conversion. Even on a hub dyno, the numbers change every day.

Foreignheight is the worst of all measurements. Just reading an explanation of it's roots, should be enough to stop anyone wanting to use it. Centigrade has tangible meaning. As I'm made of water, from a nation obsessed with the weather, it's all I could dream of. Zero is feckin freezing and 100 is feckin boiling. The bit in the middle needs no explanation.
Outside of the human frame of reference, Kelvin can be used. Starting at nothing.
Foreignheight isn't even an A to B measurement of something. There is no need to hold on to it.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
As I'm made of water, from a nation obsessed with the weather, it's all I could dream of. Zero is feckin freezing and 100 is feckin boiling. The bit in the middle needs no explanation.
not much practical (to me) difference with fahrenheit. zero is BELOW freezing, but 100 degrees is still too damn hot to be out in. only time i use a thermometer is when cutting fractions on a still...:whistling:

Reactions: Gry

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
My wife took this pic this morning . . . a new way to shop . . .

diving.jpg

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
And while we are on the subject . . .

The entry room in a house is called a foyer. It is not repeat NOT pronounced Foy - Yer. It is a pronounced foy - Yay.

There. I feel better now. :rasta:
Not around here , it aint. It's foy-yer all day long.
And a horse isnt a horse . Its a "hoss"
If you pronounce scallop as if it rhymes with gallop everyone will immediately know you aren't from around here as it is pronounced to rhyme with "dollop" and chances are you wont be invited into anyone's foy-yer.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
If you pronounce scallop as if it rhymes with gallop everyone will immediately know you aren't from around here as it is pronounced to rhyme with "dollop" and chances are you wont be invited into anyone's foy-yer.

How about if I asked for coquilles saint-jacques? :rasta: