What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
No, thank you. The last time I ordered frog legs - in a good long-established French restaurant here in Toronto - they arrived breaded - which would have been OK but they put green food colouring in the batter. That kind of put me off frog legs and that restaurant . . . forever.

moose eater

Anyone into non-alcoholic beer? I've tried Clausthaler, Budweiser Zero, and Heineken 0.0
My favorite was the Heineken. 10 years without booze
Not especially. Beer's a carb sin that I indulge in for the sedative/depressant effect, along with the initial (less than honest) dopamine effect. Those being in absence in the NA beers, would make my purpose for drinking beer mostly moot, with the exceptioin of flavor also being important. And I drink stouts more often than not, and can't think of a single decent NA stout..

But to each their own.

Good job staying away from alcohol for 10 years. That's a feat.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
No, thank you. The last time I ordered frog legs - in a good long-established French restaurant here in Toronto - they arrived breaded - which would have been OK but they put green food colouring in the batter. That kind of put me off frog legs and that restaurant . . . forever.
you don't bread frogs legs! what degenerate insensitive swine would do that? food coloring? i'd shoot someone...frogs legs are best lightly dusted with flour and fried, and served with biscuits and gravy for breakfast after a long night wading and grabbing them. too many undersized frogs die needlessly when gigging or shooting them. dammit! now i'm hungry again...:yummy:

Ca++

LOL Fahrenheit gives you much better resolution in whole numbers. Case closed.....
Look up any probe type, and it will be rated to 0.1c if you are lucky. So that is the scale accuracy required.
In practice, many thermometers use a 3 digit display and so drop resolution in the F mode. Needing to count past 100.
Practically speaking, due to the equipment you are buying, F offers no greater accuracy of measurement. It's more likely to offer less.

Ca++

Not especially. Beer's a carb sin that I indulge in for the sedative/depressant effect, along with the initial (less than honest) dopamine effect. Those being in absence in the NA beers, would make my purpose for drinking beer mostly moot, with the exceptioin of flavor also being important. And I drink stouts more often than not, and can't think of a single decent NA stout..

But to each their own.

Good job staying away from alcohol for 10 years. That's a feat.
They can make zero calorie I think?

In the UK a 0.5% beer falls under soft drink. Yet kids don't buy it, as who buys beer for taste?

moose eater

They can make zero calorie I think?

In the UK a 0.5% beer falls under soft drink. Yet kids don't buy it, as who buys beer for taste?
I mostly drink stouts for flavor. Porters, too. The sedative effect is the reason for alcohol in general, but after that it's still a taste thing.

Burned out on IPAs a long time ago. Once in a blue moon they're OK, but if I want grapefruit juice with alcohol, I have grapefruit and tequila. :)

Pommegranate juice with good tequila, and a bit of seltzer lately seems to be the favorite. Tequila has zero carbs, and only about 90-110 calories per 1.5 oz. shot. Beer, on the other hand, has ample carbs. Guinness Extra Stout, one of the more tame stouts I sometimes drink, has 15 rgams of carb per 11.2 oz. bottle. Doesn't seem like much, but for some it's a bunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gry

Ca++

I quite like a cloudy IPA.
There is a 'gold' beer I'm partial to. I had been drinking it years when I saw someone pour it from the can and it was black.
There is no way I want to see that again. A perfectly good beer decanted into a glass.

Three Berries

Look up any probe type, and it will be rated to 0.1c if you are lucky. So that is the scale accuracy required.
In practice, many thermometers use a 3 digit display and so drop resolution in the F mode. Needing to count past 100.
Practically speaking, due to the equipment you are buying, F offers no greater accuracy of measurement. It's more likely to offer less.
No greater accuracy is correct, never meant to imply that. I have a traceable accuracy mercury 32F-98F that has 1/10th degree F marks thermometer I use to see how accurate the modern junk is....

Speaking of modern junk. I've been buying three TDS sticks at a time and seeing how they compare to each other. It's not a pretty picture. eBay is getting perturbed at the returns.

VenerableHippie

so, is "Target" actually pronounced "Tar-zhay" like the faux snobs around here say it? :chin:
It's funny. Funny ha ha, I mean. Do you mean the chain store which sells cheap (ish) clothing and stuff. Called 'Target' as in rifle range. So to sound up-market wags here call it 'Tar - zhay'?
Not around here , it aint. It's foy-yer all day long.
And a horse isnt a horse . Its a "hoss"
If you pronounce scallop as if it rhymes with gallop everyone will immediately know you aren't from around here as it is pronounced to rhyme with "dollop" and chances are you wont be invited into anyone's foy-yer.
Here in Australia scAllop or scOllop will tell which state you're from.

VenerableHippie

I mostly drink stouts for flavor. Porters, too. The sedative effect is the reason for alcohol in general, but after that it's still a taste thing.

Burned out on IPAs a long time ago. Once in a blue moon they're OK, but if I want grapefruit juice with alcohol, I haev grapefruit and tequila. :)

Pommegranate juice with good tequila, and a bit of seltzer lately seems to be the favorite. Tequila has zero carbs, and only about 90-110 calories per 1.5 oz. shot. Beer, on the other hand, has ample carbs. Guinness Extra Stout, one of the more tame stouts I sometimes drink, has 15 rgams of carb per 11.2 oz. bottle. Doesn't seem like much, but for some it's a bunch.
Funny! How about Mescal and Pattaya chaser to take away Mescal's awful taste?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
This was good as well.

scallops.jpg

Ca++

No greater accuracy is correct, never meant to imply that. I have a traceable accuracy mercury 32F-98F that has 1/10th degree F marks thermometer I use to see how accurate the modern junk is....

Speaking of modern junk. I've been buying three TDS sticks at a time and seeing how they compare to each other. It's not a pretty picture. eBay is getting perturbed at the returns.
I'm not sure what brand sticks you have been buying, but I don't think it matters. Even regularly serviced I can't get two the same, and I only buy the original. It's awkward moving between grows sometimes, as when there are problems, you have to carry either meters or tank samples between them, to check calibration. I made up a table salt solution recently and the meters didn't even compare linearly. So I couldn't apply stickers to explain how far off each was, as I do with cheapo thermometers. I'm loathed to but calibration solutions for sticks that shouldn't need it, but I guess I must. Generally I just use what I use, and my numbers are my own. So I rarely talk about my EC as I really don't know it.
I keep thinking about cheaper sticks. Some look okay, but others start off in big increments. If they are no good, I could use them to beat on some of the food? posted above :)

Three Berries

And that is why Fahrenheit makes no sense.

I'm not sure what brand sticks you have been buying, but I don't think it matters. Even regularly serviced I can't get two the same, and I only buy the original. It's awkward moving between grows sometimes, as when there are problems, you have to carry either meters or tank samples between them, to check calibration. I made up a table salt solution recently and the meters didn't even compare linearly. So I couldn't apply stickers to explain how far off each was, as I do with cheapo thermometers. I'm loathed to but calibration solutions for sticks that shouldn't need it, but I guess I must. Generally I just use what I use, and my numbers are my own. So I rarely talk about my EC as I really don't know it.
I keep thinking about cheaper sticks. Some look okay, but others start off in big increments. If they are no good, I could use them to beat on some of the food? posted above :)
I just got two Inkbird INK-TDSK4 that both read the same. The last ones I sent back were the typical eBay/Amazon 10$ ones.

Ca++

Oh, I thought you meant an actual stick. The type you don't calibrate
1663260592600.png

Surprised you were having trouble with one's you calibrate yourself.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
you don't bread frogs legs! what degenerate insensitive swine would do that? food coloring? i'd shoot someone...frogs legs are best lightly dusted with flour and fried, and served with biscuits and gravy for breakfast after a long night wading and grabbing them. too many undersized frogs die needlessly when gigging or shooting them. dammit! now i'm hungry again...:yummy:
Is it true that the best time to catch frogs is during mating season? :whistling:

................... asking for a friend. :shucks:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Is it true that the best time to catch frogs is during mating season? :whistling:

................... asking for a friend. :shucks:
two at a time, WHOOHOO! actually, i've never seen bullfrogs coupled up. i know their breeding season is in the summer, which is the only time they are out and about, and fat enough to eat. they must not lock up like toads or dogs do. another of lifes mysteries for me to ponder... :good: