What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

E

ESTERCHASER

I got an additional set of points in my energy efficiency rating for putting in el cheapo set-back thermostats in the house; one on each of 3 floors.

We're supposed to change the AAA batteries in them each year, and I usually do that in October, when I do similar to the back-up batteries in my hard-wired combination Smoke/CO detectors, but I have no first-hand experience in what happens if the battery in the thermostats goes dead before change-out.

I've been -told-.that it's possible the circuit might get locked shut (closed) meaning that if someone weren't home at the time, we'd potentially come back to a super-heated VERY warm home. (*And a fair bit less fuel oil in the tank...).

I guess that'd be better than the other way around; coming home at -30 or -50, and finding the heat WOULDN'T come on, due to the circuit being locked open.

Meanwhile, I've got an elkhound that's been experiencing fairly consistent/persistent diarrhea for over 3 days, for which we've started upping the mixing of psyllium with her chow, increasing it this next feeding to 1-1/2 TBSP for a 45 lb. dog.

She was a rescue as of ~6-1/4 years ago, and by her previous 2 owners and their neglect, she eats ANYTHING and everything, so who knows what's causing the issue. Hopefully nothing serious.

Meanwhile, I may need to buy stocks in a carpet shampoo company.

Next stop is cooking her rice, chicken and potato with pumpkin to make her digestive tract straighten up and fly right.

Now I'm a chef for an elkhound... I was hoping to find another dozen things to take up my time... Should probably wrap her silverware in a cloth napkin, lest I feel I've neglected her.:biggrin:

I cant pm you or i would have.........I use oxy clean diluted in hot water..........truly the nemesis of anything organic in fabric, chit man if i can get 4 year old manures out of my clothes and carpet i guarantee itll help yours!:tiphat:

M

moose eater

Yeah, we've been using oxy-based shampoos, for the added microbial action in addition to the cleansers, what ever they may be.

The pup in reference 'seems' to be pulling out of it at this time. Don't know conclusively what caused the mayhem for her, but it was 4-1/2 days or so of runs, followed by a day of puking, with a break in eating for most of a day, to let her belly settle down, before resuming her 'special diet' of boiled white rice, chopped boneless/skinless chicken breast, and cubed golden potatoes.

Stopped the runs post haste, but then I ended up adding a bit of water and some dry psyllium powder to her chow, as the psyllium acts as both an anti-constipation agent, as well as arresting the runs. Works both ways, and I was concerned that her abrupt end to the runs, followed by a day of NO activity, was evidence, or might be evidence, that it was now headed the other direction, and with the possibility of this being viral, or even just cleansing out her system from some unknown ingested toxin, I wanted her bodily functions on-line as much as possible.

Anyway, at this time, it looks like the proverbial clouds are parting, and she's headed toward better days. And as I said earlier in another post elsewhere, as much as it was a pain in the ass to be donning my chef's garb to cook for the pup, it was far cheaper than a vet bill, and seems to have worked well.

Thanks for the thoughts.

A

anoydas 666

midday movie about to start on the classic channel so gotta take off like a cut cat.

E

ESTERCHASER

Yeah, we've been using oxy-based shampoos, for the added microbial action in addition to the cleansers, what ever they may be.

The pup in reference 'seems' to be pulling out of it at this time. Don't know conclusively what caused the mayhem for her, but it was 4-1/2 days or so of runs, followed by a day of puking, with a break in eating for most of a day, to let her belly settle down, before resuming her 'special diet' of boiled white rice, chopped boneless/skinless chicken breast, and cubed golden potatoes.

Stopped the runs post haste, but then I ended up adding a bit of water and some dry psyllium powder to her chow, as the psyllium acts as both an anti-constipation agent, as well as arresting the runs. Works both ways, and I was concerned that her abrupt end to the runs, followed by a day of NO activity, was evidence, or might be evidence, that it was now headed the other direction, and with the possibility of this being viral, or even just cleansing out her system from some unknown ingested toxin, I wanted her bodily functions on-line as much as possible.

Anyway, at this time, it looks like the proverbial clouds are parting, and she's headed toward better days. And as I said earlier in another post elsewhere, as much as it was a pain in the ass to be donning my chef's garb to cook for the pup, it was far cheaper than a vet bill, and seems to have worked well.

Thanks for the thoughts.

ran the dog this am.......fuker found an edible someone left at the trail entrance..........stoned plott hound........

M

moose eater

ran the dog this am.......fuker found an edible someone left at the trail entrance..........stoned plott hound........

I had an elkhound/shepherd/husky/coyote cross pup from my first elkhound that I'd hitch-hiked cross-country with that, no matter what rest area or spot, in what part of the Continent we stopped at, seemed able to find a dead carcass of something in the area to roll in; often within 5 minutes. Many a time we got back into the truck, and had to drive MILES with the windows down.

But I don't think he ever got into any edibles.

His mother went through a variety of phases with her involvement with 'smoking' cannabis.. mostly via shotguns. In the middle of her relationship with weed, she went through an abstinence phase, and later became as I am, a moderate smoker who just likes to relax. In -that- specific phase, she'd have a puff or 3, then lay in the corner with her head between her paws, and mostly just her eyes moving, this way and that, keeping track of who was doing what in the area, with as little exertion as possible.

Lost her on Christmas Day on the Alaska Hwy, at Fireside, B.C., what was, back then, mile 543, about 1983. Harsh loss.

M

moose eater

You may not vote on any more threads today

I told someone years ago, after my first breeder elkhound had travelled with me many thousands of miles by thumb, truck, plane, car, et., and had experienced an unwarranted (not papered, illegal) raid on our home in 1976 in another State, "I've never had a woman go for a cop's leg or throat, and I've never had a dog steal the contents of my wallet."

(*Though I've had a dog chew on my wallet for the sake of chewing on leather...... hopefully without too much toxicity from the various harsh chemicals used in the tanning process).

armedoldhippy

Veteran
You may not vote on any more threads today

I told someone years ago, after my first breeder elkhound had travelled with me many thousands of miles by thumb, truck, plane, car, et., and had experienced an unwarranted (not papered, illegal) raid on our home in 1976 in another State, "I've never had a woman go for a cop's leg or throat, and I've never had a dog steal the contents of my wallet."

(*Though I've had a dog chew on my wallet for the sake of chewing on leather...... hopefully without too much toxicity from the various harsh chemicals used in the tanning process).

my dogs have always zeroed in on womens shoes, or panties left in the floor. hmmm...:)

M

moose eater

my dogs have always zeroed in on womens shoes, or panties left in the floor. hmmm...:)

When my German Shepherd's being playful, she plays keep-away with my balled up wool socks and my slippers.. sometimes shoes. Just as I reach for the (what ever it is), she tosses her head to the side, keeping it just out of reach.

Smart as a whip. understands a great deal of English language, and seems irritated to no end that she can't speak it. She tries, though, and sounds a lot like Julia Childs speaking some dialect of Klingon..

The 15-year-old+, 15-lb. poodle occasionally likes to chew the laces in my slippers, and/or leather pull tabs/loops off the back of sneakers/boots, though we've mostly broke him of those habits. More costly than fun..

The elkhound, well, she's seriously food or chew driven, as a result of her being neglected in others' care earlier in her life, and living in the woods or on the streets.. We've had her about 6 years+.

My wife's taken to weaving 'net bags' for carrying produce, so the produce can breathe better in storage.. Don't know if the elkhound is expressing resentment at the amount of time that goes into making net bags (versus time for belly rubs for a dog), or if the elkhound just has a teething issue relative to a tooth problem, but of the various sizes of netting 'needles' my wife has crafted out of a variety of types of wood, the elkhound has chewed up at least a couple of them.

E

ESTERCHASER

dogs become smarter with the right owners.......she may not respond in proper english but this damn plott hound DEF understands what im saying to her, smart? holychit we have done this species a diservice by assuming they are stupid as a whole. when my dog was a puppy a neighbor used to give her milkbones every am whe we would walk by....we eventually moved and the bone porch owner passed away sadly......my dog still tries to go up there and grab bones, hoping he will reappear! 4 yrs later

T

Teddybrae

Eh? Mate, Cobber, Pal ... that's not smarter. That's further conditioning. Canines are mammals like Humans. Both species end up mesmerised by their experiences and are unable to move on.

dogs become smarter with the right owners.......she may not respond in proper english but this damn plott hound DEF understands what im saying to her, smart? holychit we have done this species a diservice by assuming they are stupid as a whole. when my dog was a puppy a neighbor used to give her milkbones every am whe we would walk by....we eventually moved and the bone porch owner passed away sadly......my dog still tries to go up there and grab bones, hoping he will reappear! 4 yrs later

E

ESTERCHASER

to me thats smarter then what i see in the park....chase a ball bring it back and stare at the owner till the ball gets thrown.......lol I'll continue to see things in my own way, its not hurting anyone that i know of.

T

Teddybrae

I absolutely agree! No worries, Friend!

But haven't you noticed in those dog expert shows on TV that the expert usually retrains the owners as well as the dogs?

to me thats smarter then what i see in the park....chase a ball bring it back and stare at the owner till the ball gets thrown.......lol I'll continue to see things in my own way, its not hurting anyone that i know of.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I've been offline for a bit & will be for awhile. My last "screwing up my back" REALLY fucked me up. I've been off 2 weeks from work, started the short term disability paperwork. My right hip, ass cheek & groin have been screaming. Started rehab for pain, NO idea what happened. Seen multiple doctors/therapists/trainers. I've asked my Dad to finish the grow without me, I've not been there in weeks. Don't pray for me, Argentina...

M

moose eater

I've been offline for a bit & will be for awhile. My last "screwing up my back" REALLY fucked me up. I've been off 2 weeks from work, started the short term disability paperwork. My right hip, ass cheek & groin have been screaming. Started rehab for pain, NO idea what happened. Seen multiple doctors/therapists/trainers. I've asked my Dad to finish the grow without me, I've not been there in weeks. Don't pray for me, Argentina...

Sounds like it MIGHT be time for an MRI and a SKILLED neurosurgeon who doesn't inherently look at every single case as an opportunity to cut, but rather as a person in need of a good consultation.

Seriously. All the symptoms are there, in my somewhat-experienced opinion, OT..

I backed away from artificial discs and fusion with good cause, and was somewhat fortunate to discover that my back was SO fucked up (some of it still is) that I wasn't a candidate for those procedures.

In the end, I got an old-school Doc with LOTS of experience, and lots of reservations about using his knife, and he did the do, along with his PA.

Despite continued limitations at times, to this day, I say they BOTH walk on water.

Good luck, OT.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I ordered a new 400 hps bulb for my ancient 400w sun systems air cooled enclosed fixture.
Yesterday I go to switch out bulbs and the light wasn't working.
I thought maybe the bulb had blew, but... It won't work with the new bulb either.

So now I need a whole new light for my 3x3. I don't want to spend another $50 on capacitor and etc.

Gonna have to put a 250 hps in there until I can get something.

Looking at 315 cmh. Thinking about the adjustable wing model.
I like getting new equipment... But absolutely hate shopping for, and deciding on one!

Latest posts

Latest posts