What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

Gry

Veteran
Shipped everything but the people to China.

Kill anything to do with consumer protection, and the natural tendency for corporate corruption blooms
like a flush of toadstools.
Money stores opening up all over the place.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I remember when I was living in the Philippines and most workers were only given 6 month contracts - and then laid off - while the companies would hire others to replace them - just so they could get around the expense of medical insurance, pensions and more binding work contracts. When you have mass unemployment and hundreds/thousands of people applying for any job - the corporations can really take advantage of and profit immensely from a keen and hungry work-force.

Having a large and desperate work-force also keeps wages down too, so people work longer hours for less pay. Most workers were expected to work 12 hours per day and 7 days per week for an average of $5 per day....and you could say that is the main reason why the west lost most of its manufacturing industries to the east - CHEAP LABOUR.

St. Phatty

The USA is definitely 3rd world status.

To escape America's Sh-thole medical care, I am looking at Mexico and other nations.

It is getting harder & harder for people on a limited income to re-locate.

Meanwhile I am dealing with an upper jaw tooth infection, caused by an American dentist. That is very serious sh-t.

Some beginner endodontists only do lower jaw root canals - because they are further from the blood supply to the brain.

The endodontist has to go into a very tiny space and remove a functioning vein & artery and a dead nerve.

I am completely blown away by the experience and definitely weakened by having a few micrograms of dead tissue in my skull, slowly sloughing off molecules of Toxic Puss.

It is very interesting to see the effect that has on my ability to get things done. I was using some channel lock's to remove a broken valve fitting on a 1/2 inch male thread. Couldn't do it. I am definitely weakened physically.

Bottom line - you don't have to leave the US to experience 3rd world health care, for sure.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
We have health care in everything but the teeth. Because most Members of Parliament are dentists and protecting their own revenue.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
At 2K an implant - Dentists look at you're smile as a potential 60K.

G `day Gypsy

Only 2K ?
Looking at 5-6 K in Oz . And the Gov sponsored dentists only fill or remove . No implants .

If you are unemployed or on a pension . Say good bye to your teeth .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
At 2K an implant - Dentists look at you're smile as a potential 60K.
Yup.

But I'm in Ecuador every winter so I go there. Veneers for $250 each. Implants are $1,200. My dentist is US trained :D Does most of the expats in town (Cuenca). I live on the coast near Montanita.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Mindset has to account for what is percieved as success and prosperity.

When you "need" four TV's, two $1000.00 cellphones,
a $400,000.00 house, and two 72 month car notes at $400.00 per month.

Health insurance at 20k per year.

Costs quickly add up.

And don't forget the 40k a year college fee,
or the 20k annual child care fee.

We all waiting on the trickle down from the Reagan administration.

lol

packerfan79

Veteran
Mindset has to account for what is percieved as success and prosperity.

When you "need" four TV's, two $1000.00 cellphones,
a $400,000.00 house, and two 72 month car notes at $400.00 per month.

Health insurance at 20k per year.

Costs quickly add up.

And don't forget the 40k a year college fee,
or the 20k annual child care fee.

We all waiting on the trickle down from the Reagan administration.

lol

Anyone, who has a 72 month car note should have their freaking head checked.

I think what you are referring to is keeping up with the Jones's. Not everyone is has the same standards of success. I would be very happy with a small ranch/ farm, in the country. Off grid would be even better. Give me an old pick up and I will be just fine. To me success has more to do with time for family.

Location is huge also. If you are in LA, 400k will get you a studio. IN the bay area 400k will barely get you a parking space. 400k in most of the country will buy you a huge home, with money to spare.

I know you guys don't understand that wealthy people create jobs, which creates commerce and wealth. Keynesian economics isn't a legitimate economic policy. The idea that welfare spending creates jobs is asinine.no welfare recipient has started a business, that I know of.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

I think what you are referring to is keeping up with the Jones's. Not everyone is has the same standards of success. I would be very happy with a small ranch/ farm, in the country. Off grid would be even better. Give me an old pick up and I will be just fine. To me success has more to do with time for family.

Location is huge also. If you are in LA, 400k will get you a studio. IN the bay area 400k will barely get you a parking space. 400k in most of the country will buy you a huge home, with money to spare.

I know you guys don't understand that wealthy people create jobs, which creates commerce and wealth. Keynesian economics isn't a legitimate economic policy. The idea that welfare spending creates jobs is asinine.no welfare recipient has started a business, that I know of.

G `day PF

Well , sit back , relax and I`ll tell you the tale of Nevil Schoenmakers .

Son of Dutch Australian immigrants . Went to live in the Netherlands .
Got a grant from Dutch Social Security to buy lights and grow supplies .
Established the Seed Bank of Holland .

The rest is history as they say .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

White Beard

I think what you are referring to is keeping up with the Jones's. Not everyone is has the same standards of success. I would be very happy with a small ranch/ farm, in the country. Off grid would be even better. Give me an old pick up and I will be just fine. To me success has more to do with time for family
That has sounded like me for a long time. Reality forces me to recognize I might not live that long. I hope you get there.

“packer fan” said:
I know you think that’s true, but the problem is, I *do* understand that it’s crap. Needing employees *might* create jobs...or it might create more pressure on already-overworked employees as staff is cut back. But raising pay or hiring more people *just* because you have more money? Not going to happen in the world I’ve lived in.

The results of the recent tax-cut give-back to the wealthiest have shown what happens. They keep it. They didn’t get that rich by paying people what they’re worth, after all. I’m sure you understand how that works.

Here’s a question: Could you afford to live on what you pay your people, assuming you have them?

Here’s another, just ‘cause I’m curious: who’s the first president you remember? How far back does your political memory go?

Last edited:

Gry

Veteran
Enterprising individuals create jobs. Wealth is the son of enterprise, not the father.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
Used to live in the most densely populated place
on earth. It was a temple of enterprise.
Saw more enterprise in a refugee camp
than I ever believed was possible.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

We don't understand? lol. You mean we don't understand economics because it's complicated? lol

That is such a load of bullshit. I understand it plenty. A rich dude will still only buy 1 pair of jeans, not 10,000 pairs. And that pair of jeans comes from Bangladesh not in the USA. The rest of his cash goes into an investment fund, NOT back into the economy via a new factory. Keynesian isn't valid? Are you crazy? It has NOTHING to do with Trickle Down, because the rich don't spend their money!! And Keynesian economics is the ONLY thing that keeps saving the world from disaster. Once the US is out of trouble, then Keynesian is put back on the shelf to make room for yet more wealth transfer from the poor and middle classes (which actually doesn't exist anymore) to the wealthy.

You are right though, new companies aren't started by someone on welfare. But you don't mention that they aren't started by the rich either. They're started by what's left of the middle class.

I'm not one of the super rich, but I'm pretty well oiled. I won't buy yet another pickup, or car or anything else. I already have everything I need. So my earnings go directly into an investment fund. The way you think, I'd need a new warehouse every few years just to hold all the "stuff" I buy. And starting another business? Mine keeps me so busy I barely have time to enjoy all my "stuff". But I'm just gonna keep buying shit like my 50th Keurig machine, sight unseen, and store it in my warehouse because... well... that's what rich people do right?

Here's the same thing from the horses mouth. (TED talk)
[iframe1]q2gO4DKVpa8[/iframe1]

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I'm so sick of the "wealthy people create jobs" lie. It's lazy, intellectually-deficient garbage.

I know I got my pitchfork ready to go.

Klompen

Our entire economic system has been crafted to allow the richest of the rich to make massive amounts of money off of simply having money. In the case of banking, they even make money off of money they don't even have. We have an economy of smoke and mirrors. While we're led to believe that our leaders(private and public) are working toward the interests of the greater good, but that isn't true at all. The entire system revolves around gutting everything that made America so powerful and world-changing and selling it off to line the pockets of the richest few. Our industry is gutted, our labor movements in ruins, our infrastructure is crumbling, and our ability to control our leaders is minimal. America is a shadow of its former self, and it actually still had a long way to go toward being the country we really need it to be. In the richest country on Earth, 68% of Americans can't survive a 500 dollar emergency. Meanwhile we have people like Trump giving the richest people tax breaks and Obama telling Wall Street that he was the only thing standing between them and the pitchforks. We've been sold out and divided into two teams so we can fight each other instead of fighting them like they deserve.