What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Top-feeding only... why I like it.

Lunix79

Great thread!! Only have a small area and grow in 1gal smartpots (soil is slightly enriched, but due to container size. I am sure all nutes will be used! :) ) .gives me the confidence that I can still pull it off, as long as i keep the plant fed from propely. thanks very much! :)

Team Microbe

Veteran
Hello, cannabis growers. :)

P.S. This method also allows you to FLUSH ORGANIC SOILS... or at least to get as close as possible. If you start your "flush" period and notice there is still a few weeks' worth of guanos sitting on the surface of the soil, simply scrape it off! The plants will be mostly without access to nutrient within a few days. ;)

You're using hydro-logic (what I like to call "glorified hydroponics") in a soil setting, plants don't require "flushing" in soil - they enter senescence naturally :tiphat:

MHBGuy

Sharing a couple of pics from my first dedicated top-feeding run.

Day 44 of flower today, so still a few weeks out.

This was a still a trial run and have been feeding with about half the recommended guanos and meals. Have been using compost, EWC, bone, blood, seabird and two bat guano, (one high NP and one P only).

If Santa doesn't put Kelp, Greensand, Fish and Feather meals in my stocking, they will be on my post Xmas shopping list and incorporated in next round!

Lunix79

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58203&pictureid=1365682&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58203&pictureid=1365681&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58203&pictureid=1365343&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Sharing a couple of pics from my first dedicated top-feeding run.

Day 44 of flower today, so still a few weeks out.

This was a still a trial run and have been feeding with about half the recommended guanos and meals. Have been using compost, EWC, bone, blood, seabird and two bat guano, (one high NP and one P only).

If Santa doesn't put Kelp, Greensand, Fish and Feather meals in my stocking, they will be on my post Xmas shopping list and incorporated in next round!

They look gorgeous!! :D

Was this first run with topfeeding on a known strain/setup of yours?

MHBGuy

Thank you. It's Bruce Banner bag seed. Found five seeds, four popped and were all female. Think I may be seeing one nanner which I would be happy to allow to make some more seed.

Mr. Krinkle

excellent reading...

im top dressing all the way through in a run im doing now

does anybody notice seabird guano N being a little warmer and faster acting than bat guano N in the same range?

MHBGuy

The seabird I is pelletized and takes a 2 or 3 waterings to completely breakdown and that's with a sprayer right up against it. Didn't care for it at first, but have come to like the "time release" delivery system.

Results have been so good with just the few meals and guanos I have been employing so far that I am really excited for the next round.

Popped seeds on NYE and they are going on top feeding with the Roots Organic Uprising line referenced earlier in this thread.

haha, I have even started tasting the water when I snap off a leaf! Just can't get this Crazy Composer tune out of my head.

Mr. Krinkle

right on - yea i've used the pelletized seabird guano from roots - thats the 0-12-0

i'm thinking thats why it is pelletized, cause it seems like it works like way faster when its micronized :chin:

MHBGuy

mine is the sun leaves peruvian at 12-11-2, only seabird I have any experience with, but would definitely buy again

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Regarding PSG--I found that if I brewed it for 72 hours and delivered the tea "as a top dressing" there were no "burn issues" (no hot soil)...and it seemed the plant responded earlier from the feeding. On the occasions I top dressed my plants with the "pelletized" variety of PSG--you could smell the "ammonia" for several days afterward and it seemed to take a week or two before the plant "responded" with that nice green color I expect to see.

Attached are two bat guano feeding schedules published by Sunleaves...I use them as a "guide" of what others do.

BTW--I would stock up on PSG since I heard from Sunleaves that Peru is restricting export of PSG...normal banana republic politics/money hustle.
Notice the second schedule (post-2012) that Sunleave replaced PSG with a liquid form; dry PSG is no mas.

Attachments

• SGK_Feeding_Schedule_2012.pdf
    356.5 KB · Views: 65
  • SLguano.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

MHBGuy

Googled a bit about the PSG, saw a story about it happening in 2008 and again in 2012. SunLeaves has a statement on their site. Think you have it spot on about raising the price or someone looking to get greased.

Picked up a extra bag in any event. Was kind of eyeing the 40# bucket, hope I don't regret not grabbing it!

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
At the 30 grams/gallon rate--40# bucket should yield about 600 gallons of PSG tea. You won't be sorry. A few things in life you gotta hoard: incandescent light bulbs (hate cfls for home use) and PSG...lol, lights & shit.

MHBGuy

A few things in life you gotta hoard...lol, lights & shit.

Better to hoard a bulb than curse algore and W.

Have a healthy supply of 40, 60 & 100w myself ;)

Back when I was a teen and New Coke hit the market, I bought out a couple of 7-11s worth of old glass 16 oz Coca-Cola bottles. Filled a cubic meter or so in my bedroom :laughing:

Turned out joke was on me, whole thing was just a scam to replace sugar with HFCS. Rarely touch one these days.

Mr. Krinkle

:laughing:

is that really what the difference between New Coke and Classic Coke was back then?

New Coke didn't do too well :no:

i just stick with the water, coffee, and craft beer nowadays too :yappy:

MHBGuy

:laughing:

is that really what the difference between New Coke and Classic Coke was back then?

yeah, whole thing was con job to replace sugar with cheaper HFCS in U.S. market. instead of being vilified, they were praised for caving to public sentiment and bringing Coke Classic to the jonesing public.

and one ingredient had changed on the label, a short while later New Coke disappeared due to poor sales.

Coca-Cola doesn't make that kind of "mistake"

i just stick with the water, coffee, and craft beer nowadays too :yappy:

yeah drinking a lot more water these days, I dry out worse than the plants