What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tom Hill Haze

Old Uncle Ben

...."Tom Hill's Haze" is a small representation of the overall larger Positronics' Haze, and Mac et al's selections are by necessity an even smaller representation of that population.

Speaking of legends, anyone been around this biz long enough to remember Jock and his hilarious way of hiding seeds shipped from the Dam? You got your seeds, but only when Jock was damn ready to ship them. Front of the card was a hoot! Now THOSE were the dayz. We were a large group of stoners ordering seeds from the Dam, communicating via encrpted chain linked servers, using PGP for private emails.

This was my order, hidden inside a foam greeting card. If memory serves this old pHart, this was in the mid to late 90's. I did order Positronics Haze. Whether I received the read deal, hoo nose?

Front of the card. Notice the tear.

FrontOfCard.jpg

Back of the card:

BackOfCard.jpg

Labels.jpg

What was ordered/received hidden in a foam channel. I played hell finding the seeds.

Uncle Ben

KidCharlemagne

How things have changed! Now I give the English seed banks hell that they need to get with the times if seeds are legal in the states and start including phytochemical certificates like any other seed catalog would have to. It's surreal to have seeds entirely legal but have them seized because a company is stuck in the prohibition era with practices.

Old Uncle Ben

How things have changed! Now I give the English seed banks hell that they need to get with the times if seeds are legal in the states and start including phytochemical certificates like any other seed catalog would have to. It's surreal to have seeds entirely legal but have them seized because a company is stuck in the prohibition era with practices.

Excellent point, and one reason why I scorned the ramp up of a handful of seedbanks back in the days with all the sudden pollen chuckers and 100's of seedbanks you have now. You really don't know what you're getting cause there is no regulation agency defining variety DNA profiles and such.

I graft/produce avocados, those sourced from SoCal and with avocados (and I assume with most/all of plant material) you can get a genetic breakdown on origin based on the 3 avocado races. Each race, or origin is pretty well defined with certain characteristics. No so with cannabis, just the usual %sativa/%indica mix with the mutts.

Folks like Ace provide some pretty comprehensive info regarding their strains, at least the IBL's, landrace hybrids.

Uncle Ben

Last edited:

KidCharlemagne

The folks at a certain English seed bank seemed befuddled when I e-mailed annoyed that a few hundred dollars worth of seeds had been lost because they wanted to falsify the export paperwork and list it as "jewelry". USPS was clear with me that the seeds were not seized because they were cannabis seeds, but because the sender had falsified documents and failed to include a phytochemical certificate. At this point I barely buy seeds, but if I do it'll be through an American business.

Old Uncle Ben

The folks at a certain English seed bank seemed befuddled when I e-mailed annoyed that a few hundred dollars worth of seeds had been lost because they wanted to falsify the export paperwork and list it as "jewelry". USPS was clear with me that the seeds were not seized because they were cannabis seeds, but because the sender had falsified documents and failed to include a phytochemical certificate. At this point I barely buy seeds, but if I do it'll be through an American business.

Like I said, I've had good luck with Mandala and Kwik. Heard good things about North Atlantic Seed Co. Most of these companies are just distributors. Mandala gets rave reviews for some of their own "creations" like Satori.

Uncle Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

KidCharlemagne

I don't know if IC still has a thing about not discussing competitors per se, but I am a fan of the business practices of both North Atlantic Seed Co and also DC Seed Exchange. Both are very professional, reliable, and represent a wide swatch of the market. You can get ACE domestically through NASC, and they do some fun stuff like seed advent calendars for the holidays.

KWIK/RealSeedCo I also will stand behind. Angus is the real deal, one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet about the plant. His discussions on taxonomy are based in the real world and we need more people like him.

Green Highland

Folks like to talk about separating the art from the artist when they've got something to gain from the art and they haven't personally been hurt by the artist.

If you're going to idolize the man let's be straight with it. Tom mocks the folks who idolize him and who call them "his strains". He is open that nothing of his was really his, that nothing of this plant is really ours. The haze line is a fraction of what was the Positronics stock, the man doesn't even like hearing it called "Tom Hill Haze". No one putting him on a pedestal seems to notice that Tom openly mocks them here for it. It's like it flies over their head. Godspeed to those of you who got orders in.
I’ve had nothing but positive interactions with him and he’s been kind. I think his posts are hilarious. He’s taking the piss most of the time and is self confessed autistic. Autistic folk tend not to have an emotional regulator and can be very misunderstood. You either get him or you don’t and that’s pretty much it. I love that he gives zero fucks. Maybe he drinks too much but who is anybody to judge? I’ve been polite with him and he’s been polite with me in return. As far as idolizing goes, I’m not sure anyone is idolizing here, they just want some beans I would wager. After midnight just don’t engage him, like a gremlin.never go in for a hug and probably don’t make eye contact if you were to ever meet. Lol.

RobFromTX

I’ve had nothing but positive interactions with him and he’s been kind. I think his posts are hilarious. He’s taking the piss most of the time and is self confessed autistic. Autistic folk tend not to have an emotional regulator and can be very misunderstood. You either get him or you don’t and that’s pretty much it. I love that he gives zero fucks. Maybe he drinks too much but who is anybody to judge? I’ve been polite with him and he’s been polite with me in return. As far as idolizing goes, I’m not sure anyone is idolizing here, they just want some beans I would wager. After midnight just don’t engage him, like a gremlin.never go in for a hug and probably don’t make eye contact if you were to ever meet. Lol.
oh okay hes on the spectrum. that explains a lot. Hes very passionate about what he does, you got to give him that much. I wish i was around back in the day when he was working his deep chunk and X-18 lines

Green Highland

oh okay hes on the spectrum. that explains a lot. Hes very passionate about what he does, you got to give him that much. I wish i was around back in the day when he was working his deep chunk and X-18 lines
He’s was giving out old X18 beans with all orders as of a couple weeks ago. He sent me 23 X18 from his last repro when I grabbed a grip of the mendo docs og a couple months back. Said they were old stock and I believe last repro he did was around 2009. I could be wrong

RobFromTX

He’s was giving out old X18 beans with all orders as of a couple weeks ago. He sent me 23 X18 from his last repro when I grabbed a grip of the mendo docs og a couple months back. Said they were old stock and I believe last repro he did was around 2009. I could be wrong
Man id love to get ahold of those. I know kwik seeds picked up a lot of his work but the reviews are pretty hit and miss. a lot of complaints about getting all males and mutants. i still got a pack in my seedvault though and kwik seeds has some nice stuff

KidCharlemagne

He didn't work those lines. Those are lines worked and stabilized by his neighbor who he calls "The Chemist". Some of his stuff from the Chemist retained its original name, like "X18", some of it got a rename - "D15" became "Monkey Balls" became "Deep Chunk". We were lucky enough that Tom had mad seed runs of these lines and that Gypsy was able to enable their dispersal. I'm sorry Tom had enough bad experiences with the Spanish seedsmen that he mostly closed up shop.

KidCharlemagne

Back in the day before the internet was more widespread Tom's stuff was my White Whale/Grail stuff. I laughed when he mentioned in a podcast that the Pine Tar Kush was just kinda piney and kinda tarry and he thought the name was cool. So many of us built up these legends in our heads when the seeds couldn't be found. Anything in my seed collection I attempt to source as many people's savings as I can. I still have X18 and DC as well as DC x Peyote Purple from multiple lines including the Raco and Kwik ascensions. The DC x PP has proven to be a great way to outcross two IBLs that don't go much further when you incross.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My own humble opinion ( :redface: and I mean that in all sincerity because I’m a no one ) is what he’s done & doing now with this 10k seed bulk run will prove to be more important to those interested than what he did back then… & hope he gets the satisfaction of making some money (and it’s not even really gonna be that much ) This is a huge unleashing of Haze genetics I don’t know anyone else who’s done this? Hasn’t he been completely straight forward about what he’s done and the purpose of the seed run ? unless I missed something ..I don’t know maybe

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All I know from him is what he posted here and in the older days here.. I haven’t watched any of the podcasts

PlasmaTube

Are people really bothered by Tom enough to get the dude banned? Lol....its not that serious, at least I dont take Tom's "rage" to heart...Lol. The again, I'm 30 y.o. and havent been on the forums for decades like others. Dude's kidding, folks. He may come off as a dick, but...seriously? Maybe old heads take things differently.

Regardless, haze is great flower, we can all agree.