What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TIMER FOR 1000 WATT HPS THAT WONT BURN HOUSE DOWN!?

S

Speedcat

after reading th emany useless threads on timers. Im Looking for EXACTLY the timmer im about to decribe. I need a DIGITAL timer that PLUGS into a outlet that can handle a 1000 watt HPS light. The only good thing ive read in the threads about waht timers to buy is that even tho 90% of all the timers on the market are rated for 1500 watts ect, they will fucking burn out anyways running 1000 watts on a continous cycle like 18 hours on every day. So from some one running 1000 watts or more on a digital timer, what are you using or if you know of one where can I get a absolute fail proof, wont burn your shit down digital plug in wall timer. IM not fucking around with electrical shit so Im absolutely not going to wire a heavy duty one in.m I dont care if I have to order it fvrom europe and it cost $500 I want a timer that is plug n play ready thats digital and will not burn out and overload like the other timer out their.

Norkali

Hey man,

I'm not positive, but I'm not sure that what you are looking for even exists. It seems that once you get up to a 'heavy-duty' load range, your options quickly become 'limited' to timers like such:

base_media

NFR

Best not to run 1000W on a existing house plug for months on end. Better to run out of a panel to a small box and run a Intermatic 104 type to a receptical you wired yourself. If you are just running a couple of bulbs you can run off a dryer outlet or a stove outlet to a box.

I've had wall plug in timers catch on fire. Once I was leaving for a trip and for some reason I went back into the shop one last time while the truck was running packed. There was smoke everywhere and the timer was bubling and just about to ignite. Now I run those timers to relays instead and no heavy load goes through the timers. Havent had a problem in over a decade that wasnt user at fault.

HUGE

Veteran
whats considered heavy duty range? will an 8 light T5 and a canfan be safe on 1?

kigy

Even though you stated otherwise, running a 240v line from the breaker to your setup would be probably be the safest and smartest thing to do. 1000w isn't too big of a deal on a 15amp circuit but if you plan on running any fans/dehumid/pumps, but I've melted a couple hydrofarm timers with just a 1000w. You should seriously consider reading the electrical thread and going 240v (its not as difficult as you might think), most 120v timers you''ll find aren't rated for more than 15amps usually and you're just asking for problems down the road if you try to pull anymore power off that breaker.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
NFR Quote: "I've had wall plug in timers catch on fire."

Me too!!! Thank God I was standing there watering when it burst into a blue fireball that instantly caught the wall on fire. USE THE HEAVY DUTY STUFF FOR SURE!!!!

renz

EDIT: Yeah I missed the part about you not wanting to wire something up, nevermind! But yeah I wouldn't really trust consumer crap to do ~8A continuous either.

You guys are scaring the shit out of me. I always just went by my 80% and haven't worried since I did all the math. I guess it's time to have an electrician take a look at everything.

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omr...GAEpiMZZMtLEhJ5P/NsZ6zRAb%2bdAvqBZ8AN5WXYJM8=

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Omr...=sGAEpiMZZMtLEhJ5P/NsZw2kDgk35vSMWOt8l4JbmEI=

You might want to try something like that. Just use a timer to switch the control side of that, and use the 25A or 40A solid state relay to switch the lights.

You can just use normal 120/240VAC input relays, too.

Or do a digital timer that drives a 5V input solid state or magnetic relay.

NFR

I was running a space heater on a timer for my lights off period. If I left while the lights were on I think my shop would have burnt down with me 700kms away.

Ive run a million hours over the years with wall timers. There were quite a few issues big and small. Only just recently I had one just stop tripping. I still use them but never for anything critcal.

An intermatic wired to a dryer plug could be the way to go.

NFR

whats considered heavy duty range? will an 8 light T5 and a canfan be safe on 1?

I run one of those and a couple of fans off the wall. You are talking about under 500W for the light bank. I run a second on an extension cord so I'm not on the same breaker.

NFR

Wow, that's fucked up. I've never had a timer catch on fire. I just use regular timers from hydrofarm and C.A.P., haven't had a problem yet. Good luck on finding a heavy duty digital timer, never seen one in my life. I'm sure you could get dude at nowirenuts.ca to build you one for a lot less than $500 though.

Intermatic makes a heavy duty 104 type digital actaully.

I could build a heavy duty digital timer in 20 minutes and I'd only need a cheap light duty timer because the load doesnt pass through it. I'd use a relay. I'm running 8 ballasts on a $15 light duty timer right now(temp).

jonnybgod

make your own

make your own

You could use the light duty digital timer to trigger a HEAVY DUTY RELAY much the same way a refrigerator works, just ask anyone who might know basic electrical for a how to. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

M

MrMedijuana

i'm useing a reg timer with 2 coleman electrical lanterns for flowering 4 plants and it's not an isues for me.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
http://www.epinions.com/review/Intermatic_Outdoor_Digital_Timer_HB800RCL_epi/content_483561737860

hi, i'm running 5 of these. 4 for 1k lights and one with 8 fans. some of them are 5-6 yrs old. don't fail, don't get hot, battery backup so in case power goes off timing is not affected. 20 bucks apiece at lowes or home depot. this is after 2 grasslin's burnt into melted gobs of plastic and melted wall outlets.

the intermatic hb 800 is designed for wet outdoors applications so holds up really well in moist indoor conditions. these are my choice for 120v circuits. and for flower where the battery backup is important to not lose photoperiod because of power failure. use no more than one 1k light per timer on a 20 amp circuit.

in my new veg area i have a 240v ac outlet so i put my 1k veg light on it using an intermatic t104r for 240. these types of timers are very rugged but do not have battery backup to correct for power failures so you'll have to manually reset time if the power goes off. in veg i'm using 20/4 so a slight fluctuation in timing is not going to hermie plants or cause any other problems.

good luck, d9

S

Speedcat

dead link man, please post again. Yea Im in an apartment so i can only use the electrical outlets IN the room. so yes, the safest way to run a 1000 light bulb without re-wireing a bunch of shit in my wall would be great. plus I don't feel safe doing electrical re-wireing threw my wall. call me a pussy but I have a huge fear of getting electrocuted. how do i safeley run a 1000 watt bulb on a 120 volt outlet? even if it entails getting a "box" to plug into the outlet of the wall then pluging my ballast into the box.

madpenguin

how do i safeley run a 1000 watt bulb on a 120 volt outlet? even if it entails getting a "box" to plug into the outlet of the wall then pluging my ballast into the box.

Are you comfortable making your own "box"? Or do you just want to buy something? Something out there has to exist pre-made but I'm drawing a blank.

This was the link above:

http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/consumer%20outdoor%20timers/digital%20timers/hb800rcl.aspx

It's still only a 15A timer just like the rest of them. It could burn out, it could not... Delta9nxs says they work good for him tho....

I would use a controller that uses relays. This separates the timer and the power for the lights. The timer simply triggers the controller to turn the lights on and off. Very little power runs through the timer itself. This is safe.
Running 1000 watts through one of those little plug-in timers is asking for trouble IMO.

I use a CAP controller, does up to 4 lights and under $200.

S

Speedcat

Im not really comfortable making my own unless it was extreamly simple. Im familiar with soldering but Id rather have one that I could buy. Shit if some one made these for people who dont want to fuck with electrical stuff, theyed make a fortune on here spreading word to people about how dangerouse hooking up a 1000 watt light to a 120volt outlet is....

ALSO puff adder, then your saying it is safe to have a 1000 watt HPS continiously running threw that set up, the one with the cap controller all hooked to one 120 volt outlet? I thaught I read somewhere its not even safe to run a 1000 watt off a 120volt outlet? or am i wrong. Please post link to that thing if u can. if not Ill search for it.

Latest posts

Latest posts