What's new

thes new led's is out scaling the hps and mh with a prety big deal

2 Legal Co

Veteran
2 legal co- If height is a issue get smaller units, if height is not an issue get the bigger LEDs. You can keep those smaller units pretty close with no heat issues. My bigger units I keep atleast 2 feet away which is very impractical for tents. You should be running temps around 80 degrees anyways running LEDs. It's not the same as hps with temperature because of the radiant heat hps bulbs give Off. Once I get a house in the spring I might try a couple large units for flower.

My little 90watt 'fireboard' is potent inside of 24" I'm finding. Wilting leaves etc.

I'm used to the lower temps because of the T5s I normally use. I think it extends the bloom time by a bit however.

MmjBudClown

So, my local grow store had contacted these guys via email, they got back to him, but
After all the discussion here I had decided to go with the Black Dog BD360-U. Flipped to
12/12 on Saturday.

Wish I had seen that before I bought the BD, that's cool though,
It won't be the last light I buy.

let us know how it does and if u have any driver issues with the bd. sorry it turned you off the light but without any response an the info to compare its better safe to be sorry, which is why i always take plenty of time picking out a light. post a log of ur grow with that bd here if u can, i know not everyone can do that though.

MmjBudClown

Trying to upload a pic, maybe it'll work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 17

MmjBudClown

So that's the BD on the left, an older Avanced panel borrowed from a friend
and two G8 90w all red UFO's, plan to add either 2 or 4 more G8 all reds.

Dr.Chas-THC

Still think this SS880 is an awesome LED panel, aside from the steep price I paid. But if it's true in that you often get what you payed for, then my higher than usual expectations are extremely well called for, in this instance. It is a learning experience, but at this cost, failure is not an option. ;-)
Atleast they post a list of their PAR Values. And they're measured at 3 different heights. ;-)
http://californialightworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/SS880_Specs.pdf
I am looking forward to posting some pics of my setup. As soon as my transplants perk up from the shock of the change from Promix to Rockwool. If they don't keel. All of the lower sets leaves on some got burnt.

Dr.Chas-THC

Just a heads-up for led enthusiasts on a budget. Check out Amazon. There are some pretty fair values on inexpensively priced 300-600watt panels on there. Even the high-priced
companies have some great prices on some pretty awesome lights.
I went with some Galaxyhydro 300's. Don't laugh! So far I'm really impressed with the performance. Especially at the price. Led is really getting there!
Anyone out there have any info to share about their experience?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just a heads-up for led enthusiasts on a budget. Check out Amazon. There are some pretty fair values on inexpensively priced 300-600watt panels on there. Even the high-priced
companies have some great prices on some pretty awesome lights.
I went with some Galaxyhydro 300's. Don't laugh! So far I'm really impressed with the performance. Especially at the price. Led is really getting there!
Anyone out there have any info to share about their experience?

Why roll the dice and buy on price when quality led panels, designed by a cannabis grower for his own use, then decided to make it available to all cannabis growers can be had for not that much more. Any extra money will be easily returned in the first grow, whether you're tired of spending $400+ for quality, or realize that people are willing to pay more for quality meds

I am on my second grow using Amare Technologies Solar Spec led panels. Come by and see for yourself

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I have an A51 XGS-190.

I have not flowered with it. It did veg plants from seed faster than any MH/HPS/T8/T5/CFL I've used. That includes the awesome 6500k -7200k MH lamps. The LED was faster. That is just my experience.

From what I've read recently, the new 315 watt Ceramic MH agriculture lamps are impressive. Very good results in a chambered enviroment - like led as well.

If I were to bet on it, my money would be on the COB leds. Parking lots sure do enjoy them at night.

-Funk

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an A51 XGS-190.

I have not flowered with it. It did veg plants from seed faster than any MH/HPS/T8/T5/CFL I've used. That includes the awesome 6500k -7200k MH lamps. The LED was faster. That is just my experience.

From what I've read recently, the new 315 watt Ceramic MH agriculture lamps are impressive. Very good results in a chambered enviroment - like led as well.

If I were to bet on it, my money would be on the COB leds. Parking lots sure do enjoy them at night.

-Funk
The draw back to COBs is the weight of the entire panel. Amare Technologies Solar Eclipse (350 COB) weighs ~ 35 pounds. Most COB panels are short on heat sink, which will diminish life expectancy.

My 2 Solar Spec 150s weigh half that
, while providing more watts and flexibility

floralheart

Veteran
Listen, I would like to (and can) make the investment in LEDs, monetarily but right now, with no credible proof of production (that I have seen), I do not want to toss the $$$s invested in ballasts and bulbs and the time, to 'give LEDs a go'.

I've seen little documented proof of your (and others) claims of, = HID production with like power lights. I'll wait for those pics. maybe some other than those blue/purple pics I've seen from LED grows. grows from beginning to end.

From what I've seen so far, I hope you don't find out.

That way the LED people can do laps around your rooms at half the operating costs.

Benefits and risks of being an early adopter.

Dion

From what I've seen so far, I hope you don't find out.

That way the LED people can do laps around your rooms at half the operating costs.

Benefits and risks of being an early adopter.

its funny how this has turned into another hid vs led thread lol

i have been an avid led user and researcher for a few years and i fully respect those who dont want to take the plunge
personally i consider led tech usefull in applications requiring less than 400w of lighting and unparalleled in applications that needs less than 2ft of penetration

there has been an led on my radar for a while by illumitex ive used thier chips to build lights with great results but connot speak to thier comparability to multiple 1000w systes

however seen as the lec got mention on this thread here is a little vid i came by lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9gdoTO3_kw

here the grower is using a bml (similar to illumitex-well thats a whole story right there lol)

agian who knows how legit it is but yeah i still dont think that led is cost effective in larger gardens especially when u consider the best sales pitch led companies have is the long term savings- consider what it woudl be like to use 5 year old led tech?

Latest posts

Latest posts